What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marques Colston, WR, New Orleans Saints (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Marques Colston, WR, New Orleans Saints

Player Page Link: Marques Colston Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :lmao: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

I expect more of the same from Colston this year. And IIRC, he sat all but a couple series in week 17 last year (as did many Saints) or he could have posted a little higher than what we saw in 09.

Recs: 74

Yds: 1082

Tds: 8

I struggle with projections for Marques Colston every year because the Saints have so many weapons and I keep thinking that they will utilize the running game more. Their defense was much better in 09 and I anticipate another year of improvement for that side of the ball. A quick look at the previous three year's team stats:

07 - 443 of 655 passing 67.6% 4428 yds 6.8 ypa 28 TDs 18 ints with 394 runs 1505 yds 3.82 ypc and 14 TDs

08 - 413 of 635 passing 65.0% 5069 yds 8.0 ypa 34 TDs 17 ints with 398 runs 1594 yds 4.00 ypc and 20 TDs

09 - 378 of 544 passing 69.5% 4490 yds 8.3 ypa 34 TDs 12 ints with 467 runs 2115 yds 4.53 ypc and 21 TDs

Well, I am shocked by the improved attempts and success running the ball in 09 compared to 08. I would not be at all surprised to see that trend continue. The passing efficiency numbers for percentage, yards per attempt and TDs have just been outstanding two years in a row. In 2010, it would not be surprising if some of those numbers fell slightly just because of how high they have been.

I really think that Reggie Bush was healthier at the end of 09 and was running the ball better than ever. Pierre Thomas is a very good running back. They lost Bell to free agency, but those two and Hamilton can easily surpass last year's production.

Colston is an outstanding receiver, but there are so many options in New Orleans. Meachem continues to develop, Henderson always seems to connect on several bombs throughout the year, and Lance Moore is much better than he is given credit for. The Saints also now have three very good receiving TEs on their roster, so I do not expect Colston to be heavily targeted. Last season, he played all 16 games, but had only one where he was targeted over ten times, compared to five games in 08, and seven in 07. He had seven games (almost half) where he had six or fewer targets, which is not really what you are looking for in a highly drafted WR. His current ADP is WR 10 and 25 overall. I would like to see more targets for that guy on my fantasy team.

Marques Colston 16 gms 115 targets 68 catches 59.1% 972 yards 14.3 ypc and 7 TDs

I also see a downswing for Colston, after the improvement of Meachem, Henderson, and the return of Lance Moore to health.

100 targets, 66 receptions, 1000 yards, 8 TD. Still decent numbers, but not worthy of top-15 where he is being projected.

Coslton is the best #2 FF wr around. That is where he should be drafted after seeing what this offense is about.....spreading it around.

I love Colston. I own him in a ton of leagues. But he is not a #1 horse you can ride.

72 receptions 1025 yards 7 TD's

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Saints homer, I agree with what most seem to be saying here...the abundance of options in this passing game keeps any 1 player from being a true star..but Brees has been quoted many times saying he loves to target Colston in the redzone because of how sure-handed he is about catching the football. So I think Colston's TD numbers should be quite good..but the plethora of options keeps Colston from being "elite". Lance Moore back healthy(under-rated player), Meachem's emergence, Henderson is a great deep threat and gets targets here and there, Bush gets a ton of targets out of the backfield, Pierre catches quite a few screens himself, and then you still have Shockey and other TEs that Brees likes to throw to as well. That being said, I do still like Colston a lot..Saints pass enough to where he'll still get his...

Colston 2010: 110 targets, 73 catches(66% catch ratio), 1085 yards(15 ypc), 9 TDs

Coslton is the best #2 FF wr around. That is where he should be drafted after seeing what this offense is about.....spreading it around.I love Colston. I own him in a ton of leagues. But he is not a #1 horse you can ride.72 receptions 1025 yards 7 TD's
The best WR2 scores only 217 PPR? 17 outscored this mark last year. With that said, I agree with the numbers here, just stating that perhaps Colston isn't near as valuable as some still view him (top 10-12 in dynasty).

Coslton is the best #2 FF wr around. That is where he should be drafted after seeing what this offense is about.....spreading it around.I love Colston. I own him in a ton of leagues. But he is not a #1 horse you can ride.72 receptions 1025 yards 7 TD's
The best WR2 scores only 217 PPR? 17 outscored this mark last year. With that said, I agree with the numbers here, just stating that perhaps Colston isn't near as valuable as some still view him (top 10-12 in dynasty).
I agree with you. Him being on the Saints really ups his value. He is a free agent after next season and its prolly no guarantee the Saints bring him back depending on the money he wants. The microfracture surgery shouldn't be forgotten either. Personally don't see a career much into his 30's. Put me down for 70 catches 1050 yards and 8 TDs for this year.

Colston has a really nice floor as long as he's healthy - 70/1000/8. Not a lot of upside but he's a good safe pick and there's always a chance he hits 90 catches again.

This might put the hex on this guy, but he seems like he does not get much love in the weekly rankings despite turning it on (consistently) over the past several weeks:

1 MIN W 14-9 5 62 12.4 28 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 2 @SF W 25-22 5 67 13.4 30 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 3 ATL L 27-24 (OT) 4 25 6.3 9 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 4 CAR W 16-14 4 36 9.0 15 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 5 @ARI L 30-20 7 97 13.9 27 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 6 @TB W 31-6 5 53 10.6 16 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 7 CLE L 30-17 10 112 11.2 24 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 8 PIT W 20-10 6 75 12.5 27 1 1 1 1.0 1 0 0 0 9 @CAR W 34-3 8 65 8.1 16 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 10 Bye Week 11 SEA W 34-19 8 113 14.1 23 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 12 @DAL W 30-27 6 105 17.5 28 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
He is projected to have (according to ESPN):

Projected 99 1178 11.9 30 6
I guess I am wondering what the heads here at FBGs see that has them consistently down on Colston every week. I understand that BRees spreads it around - but it seems like NO has done better since they've had Colston more involved. In looking at his numbers, they are solid and place him 3 in receptions, 8th in yards, and, I think this is the problem for most, 34th in TDs. TDs are the hardest to predict (maybe less so with NO) but the guy has been very good, just surprised at the lack of love. At the same time, he has had 4 TDs in his last 5 games.

Colston is a really solid #2 WR. The lack of Td's are bothersome, but he'll rarely have a total clunker.
Do the 4 TDs in the last 5 games help at all? I think that he's been more of a focal point and should continue on that path. I could see 4 more Tds over the last 4 weeks.

nysportsfan said:
I guess I am wondering what the heads here at FBGs see that has them consistently down on Colston every week. I understand that BRees spreads it around - but it seems like NO has done better since they've had Colston more involved. In looking at his numbers, they are solid and place him 3 in receptions, 8th in yards, and, I think this is the problem for most, 34th in TDs. TDs are the hardest to predict (maybe less so with NO) but the guy has been very good, just surprised at the lack of love. At the same time, he has had 4 TDs in his last 5 games.
I would imagine Brees spreading the ball around, as you say, is a factor. On any given week, Meachem, Henderson or Moore could be the one with the TDs, and now that Bush is back and Graham in the picture, that's an awful lot of options. Brees is smart enough not to force the ball to Colston if others are open.

nysportsfan said:
I would imagine Brees spreading the ball around, as you say, is a factor. On any given week, Meachem, Henderson or Moore could be the one with the TDs, and now that Bush is back and Graham in the picture, that's an awful lot of options. Brees is smart enough not to force the ball to Colston if others are open.
Won't argue with this. But it seems as Colston has turned it on, so have the Saints. Don't know if that will change.

From week 6-12 this season he is #7 in PPR. #12 overall on the season.

On pace right now for 100/1200/7 and I am using the avg of what he has done weeks 6-12 over his sluggish start to the season. New Orleans is starting to hit a groove.

More stats...weeks 7-12 his avg is 21.8 PPG. Only Roddy White, Greg Jennings, and Dwayne Bowe are avg more per game than Colston so I see him clearly as a WR1 right now. Plus New Orleans is trailing Atlanta and will have to smoke it down the stretch in order to win the division and play for home field advantage. All of that makes Colston a terrific play down the stretch and well worth enduring the clunkers early in the season.

I know the rankins are early in the week and preliminary, but he's again ranked very low :wall:
Read your own post just above this one - you'll have your reason. Being a Colston dynasty owner for a long time, he is simply extremely volatile. This year is no different:In one (non-PPR) league I'm in here's an example:Weeks Colston has put up 12+ fantasy points (i.e. #1WR, stud-type production): 5 Weeks Colston has put up 6 or fewer fantasy points: 6Which week is this? I realize the trend has gotten better recently, but the fact is that many true #1s are simply more consistant. Guys like Reggie Wayne, Andre and Calvin Johnson, Roddy White even Brandon Lloyd this season and even Fitz with the awful year he is having - all have 4 or less performances of 6 FPS or fewer. The problem with ranking Colston is that you have to guess - is this the week he has 8 receptions for 123 yards and a TD or one of his 4-5 catches for 30-50 yards and no endzone?While he certainly has WR1 possibility every week, there's as much a chance you would be better off starting a solid #2 who will give you 8-12 consistantly.

I know the rankins are early in the week and preliminary, but he's again ranked very low :shrug:
Read your own post just above this one - you'll have your reason. Being a Colston dynasty owner for a long time, he is simply extremely volatile. This year is no different:In one (non-PPR) league I'm in here's an example:Weeks Colston has put up 12+ fantasy points (i.e. #1WR, stud-type production): 5 Weeks Colston has put up 6 or fewer fantasy points: 6Which week is this? I realize the trend has gotten better recently, but the fact is that many true #1s are simply more consistant. Guys like Reggie Wayne, Andre and Calvin Johnson, Roddy White even Brandon Lloyd this season and even Fitz with the awful year he is having - all have 4 or less performances of 6 FPS or fewer. The problem with ranking Colston is that you have to guess - is this the week he has 8 receptions for 123 yards and a TD or one of his 4-5 catches for 30-50 yards and no endzone?While he certainly has WR1 possibility every week, there's as much a chance you would be better off starting a solid #2 who will give you 8-12 consistantly.
Great points. But he hasn't been inconsistent since week 6, no? Again, the NO surge seems to have been coinciding with Colston's personal surge. Maybe he puts up a dud this week, but it would be going against the norm, IMO.

Colston seems to be in a good groove right now (for like 6 weeks or so) and has a decent match up vs. STL... so I would think he would be a top 12 option at WR in most formats.

Where has Colston ranked among WRs in the last 6-7 weeks?

Colston seems to be in a good groove right now (for like 6 weeks or so) and has a decent match up vs. STL... so I would think he would be a top 12 option at WR in most formats. Where has Colston ranked among WRs in the last 6-7 weeks?
I think top 7 in my PPR. Again, I know it's prelim rankings, but he's 24 right now.

While he scored a late game TD last week, he only had 4 targets on Sunday as Brees did his usual spreading the ball around. TDs are volatile, so the targets are probably the cause of the lower ranking than the consistent 10+ target-a-game guys.

While he scored a late game TD last week, he only had 4 targets on Sunday as Brees did his usual spreading the ball around. TDs are volatile, so the targets are probably the cause of the lower ranking than the consistent 10+ target-a-game guys.
Another 2 Tds today, and we aren't out of the first :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread