What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Flacco, QB, Baltimore Ravens (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Joe Flacco, QB, Baltimore Ravens

Player Page Link: Joe Flacco Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :wall: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Improved greatly from rookie season to 2nd year TD/INT ratio went from 14/12 to 21/12.

Add in Stallworth and Boldin, plus a more seasoned Rice and Harbaugh as coach = better #'s for Flacco.

3,800 25/14

Improved greatly from rookie season to 2nd year TD/INT ratio went from 14/12 to 21/12.Add in Stallworth and Boldin, plus a more seasoned Rice and Harbaugh as coach = better #'s for Flacco. 3,800 25/14
First 8 gms of 2009, Flacco was on pace for 4000-24 TDs. With Boldin, I can see an improvement over those numbers in a full season.

Joe Flacco seems to be poised to produce in 2010. He has a very strong and fairly accurate arm. In his rookie campaign, he completed 60.0% of his passes and in 09, he improved that to 63.1%. He has an improving offense that has added Anquan Boldin and Donte Stallworth, along with two rookie receiving TEs.

Even while he improved in 09, he stayed slightly under the radar as most consider the Ravens a running team. He may possibly provide a value option to your QB strategy in 2010. I think that his production was limited by minor nagging injuries, more than a focuc that the Ravens had to run the ball. Even while he was injured and struggled some coming down the stretch in 09, the Ravens threw 76 more passes in 09 than in 08. Passing TDs increased by 6 from 15 to 21 and yards per attempt increased by 0.1 to 7.2.

Considering the receiving weapons added for 2010, this could lead to a surprising increase. I would not be surprised at all with another slight uptick in the number of passes, the percentage complete, and the yards per attempt. The TDs are the most difficult to predict, but with continued maturity by Flacco in his third season, I would anticipate an increase there as well.

Flacco is currently going as QB 10 and 73 overall, but this is higher than in the past and could slip some as the season approaches. Regardless, he seems like a bargain pick there and would increase in value if he dropped further.

Joe Flacco 16 gms 343 completions in 530 attempts 64.7% 3922 yards 7.4 ypa 24 TDs 12 ints and 40 rushes for 110 yds 2.8 ypc and 2 TDs

Improved greatly from rookie season to 2nd year TD/INT ratio went from 14/12 to 21/12.Add in Stallworth and Boldin, plus a more seasoned Rice and Harbaugh as coach = better #'s for Flacco. 3,800 25/14
First 8 gms of 2009, Flacco was on pace for 4000-24 TDs. With Boldin, I can see an improvement over those numbers in a full season.
That's about where I like him this season. 4100 25 TD's and 13 ints. 30 rushes for 120 yds and 2 rushing TD's.

Flacco is the QB that is going to help win games by virtue of allowing you to grab RB's and WR's early and then nabbing him after the first round of QB's have gone. He'll produce like a borderline #1 but you'll benefit from a strong stable of RB's and WR's.

I predict 3900 27/12 by virtue of having added Stallworth and Boldin.

Their corners are still average so the defense may create for some close, good scoring games whereby they do not have the option to just "run" the clock out keeping the passing game alive through the 4th quarter.

Their corners are still average so the defense may create for some close, good scoring games whereby they do not have the option to just "run" the clock out keeping the passing game alive through the 4th quarter.
One quick thing about this: the CBs are average maybe, but I expect the Ravens pass rush to be much better this season with the draft picks plus the maturing of some existing players. That's what killed them last year, IMO, as much as the bad CB play (& the rash of injuries at the position). If you can't cover them very well, hit the QB quicker and that's what I expect more of with Baltimore. So I wouldn't be expecting many 45-42 games where Flacco's throwing 60 times.That being said, I look for a nice year out of Flacco (& by extension, the entire offense).

3800 yds/25 TDs/13INT & a couple more rushing.

Why is Stallworth being discussed as an upgrade to the receiving corps? Think I see it in two posts in this thread.

Check out this srticle...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...9032,full.story

The 3rd year in the Air Coryell is the big one for past QB's (Fouts, Warner, Green, Brees, Rivers)

From the article...

Quarterbacks playing in their third season of Don Coryell's vertical passing game or its offshoots produced outstanding numbers and each of the quarterbacks led his team to a division title.

Quarterback (Team) // 3rd year // Age // Compl. Pct. // Pass yards // TDs-inter.

Dan Fouts (SD) // 1981 // 30 // 59.1 // 4802 // 33-17

Kurt Warner (STL) // 2001 // 30 // 68.7 // 4830 // 36-22

Trent Green (KC) // 2003 // 33 // 63.1 // 4039 // 24-12

Drew Brees (SD) // 2004 // 25 // 65.5 // 3159 // 27-7

Philip Rivers (SD) // 2008 // 27 // 65.3 // 4009 // 34-11

So 4,000 yds., 62%, 32TD's, 12 ints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this srticle...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...9032,full.story

The 3rd year in the Air Coryell is the big one for past QB's (Fouts, Warner, Green, Brees, Rivers)

From the article...

Quarterbacks playing in their third season of Don Coryell's vertical passing game or its offshoots produced outstanding numbers and each of the quarterbacks led his team to a division title.

Quarterback (Team) // 3rd year // Age // Compl. Pct. // Pass yards // TDs-inter.

Dan Fouts (SD) // 1981 // 30 // 59.1 // 4802 // 33-17

Kurt Warner (STL) // 2001 // 30 // 68.7 // 4830 // 36-22

Trent Green (KC) // 2003 // 33 // 63.1 // 4039 // 24-12

Drew Brees (SD) // 2004 // 25 // 65.5 // 3159 // 27-7

Philip Rivers (SD) // 2008 // 27 // 65.3 // 4009 // 34-11

So 4,000 yds., 62%, 32TD's, 12 ints.
Very interesting stats. I was already targeting Flacco as early as the 3rd rd in my 2qb league. These stats don't make me shy away any.

some guy just dropped him for orton in a 10 team QB flex 6pt TD league. But, I already have Rodgers Romo & Stafford.

Users who are viewing this thread