What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vince Young, QB, Tennessee Titans (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Vince Young, QB, Tennessee Titans

Player Page Link: Vince Young Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :shrug: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Buy low. Take him late. After a quiet off season, he has something to prove. Britt has a season under him. The upside of taking Vince late is too much to pass up. Take advantage of the haters.

3600 passing 28 TDs/ 12 INTs 550 rushing 5 TDs

Buy low. Take him late. After a quiet off season, he has something to prove. Britt has a season under him. The upside of taking Vince late is too much to pass up. Take advantage of the haters.3600 passing 28 TDs/ 12 INTs 550 rushing 5 TDs
:shrug: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: 28 TD's..... HUGE :lmao:

I was wrong about Vince Young, I wrote him off. He came back last season and showed he's still got something left in the tank and capable of leading. I don't ever think he'll be an elite fantasy WR but he can be sneaky good when adding in his rushing totals.

3150 yards, 18 td's 13 int's

400 rushing yards with 5 td's

Vince Young had an unbelievable turnaround in 2009. Many had completely written him off after his early 08 episode. But, amazingly enough he came back in 09 and completely turned around the Tennessee Titans season. But the question remains, can he be an effective fantasy QB?

I like his chances in 2010. The Titans have a very strong running game and have added another rookie WR to the receiving options. I doubt that Vince Young will ever pass for 4,000 yards like several QBs will this season, but if your league rewards QB rushing yardage with 0.1 points per yard, he is a better play than most realize.

He comes very cheap, so especially as a QB #2, he is a solid pick for 2010. Currently going as the QB 18 and 121 overall, he is almost assuredly starting every game for the Titans and in FBG scoring, scored more than 15 in every game he started except the last game of the year. In three of the ten, he scored over 20.

In essentially only ten games, he rushed for 281 yards and 2 TDs. His passing motion is unorthodox, but he is fairly accurate, averaging over 60% over the past three seasons. His biggest downfall is lack of touchdown passes, but I expect more this season.

Vince Young 16 gms 280 comp 460 att 60.9% 3128 yds 6.8 ypa 18 TDs 14 int 80 rushes 416 yds 5.2 ypc and 4 rushing TDs

Buy low. Take him late. After a quiet off season, he has something to prove. Britt has a season under him. The upside of taking Vince late is too much to pass up. Take advantage of the haters.

:lmao: Unfortunately it's a 16-game season, not 24.

Provided Vince stays under center - and doesn't pout & fake injury at the first sign of our home-nesting boo birds, he'll render a solid-but-fantasy-erratic 2530 passing yards, 14 pass TDs, 11 INTs, 435 rush yds, 4 rush TDs.

This year he won't inherit a juicy late-season stretch of games vs. Jax, SF, Buf, Warner-less Arz, Hou, StL, and Mia (6 of them at home!).

I was wrong about Vince Young, I wrote him off. He came back last season and showed he's still got something left in the tank and capable of leading. I don't ever think he'll be an elite fantasy WR but he can be sneaky good when adding in his rushing totals.

I don't think he'll ever be an elite fantasy WR either.

But you have to admit that 3,150 yards and 18 td's, would make him a pretty good WR.

But you have to admit that 3,150 yards and 18 td's, would make him a pretty good WR.
Hey, in a couple of years there may be talk about converting him to WR. His career 3 years down the road will depend on how he chooses to define himself. I don't think mcNabb gets enough credit, but for a guy who could have taken the "easier" route and run it when crap went awray, he always mostly chose to dig in, take his lumps and learn. I think it is painfully obvious that QBs that depend on their legs, rarely last into their 30s. Steve Young was taught to pass first and run second which is why he is a HOFer...Mike Vick still has not learned that lesson and even if you took the doggie thing away, would still be a 18 passing TD-guy, but the rushing #s would dwindle each year making him less effective overall. Granted, Young has not been blessed with a great WR corps, but for the most part, neither was McNabb earlier in his career. Even McNair made the transition and started to depend on Mason more than his legs.

Hey, in a couple of years there may be talk about converting him to WR. His career 3 years down the road will depend on how he chooses to define himself. I don't think mcNabb gets enough credit, but for a guy who could have taken the "easier" route and run it when crap went awray, he always mostly chose to dig in, take his lumps and learn. I think it is painfully obvious that QBs that depend on their legs, rarely last into their 30s. Steve Young was taught to pass first and run second which is why he is a HOFer...Mike Vick still has not learned that lesson and even if you took the doggie thing away, would still be a 18 passing TD-guy, but the rushing #s would dwindle each year making him less effective overall. Granted, Young has not been blessed with a great WR corps, but for the most part, neither was McNabb earlier in his career. Even McNair made the transition and started to depend on Mason more than his legs.
This is a pretty accurate assessment IMO. However, it's worth noting that aside from the Chargers game when he pretty much had to run, he ran a lot less as the season went on. On the season, he ran 5 times per game, which is less than he had previously. Plus, the addition of Britt, Williams, and Cook (along maybe with Washington) indicate the staff will work with him to pass more. Nobody really knows how it will pan out, but I get the feeling (maybe it's no more than that) that VY will grow to pass more, while maintaining the run threat which helps CJ so much. 3250 yards, 20 td's 12 int's

300 rushing yards with 6 td's (I think he'll run less in the open field but will be more of a TD threat)

This year he won't inherit a juicy late-season stretch of games vs. Jax, SF, Buf, Warner-less Arz, Hou, StL, and Mia (6 of them at home!).
:lmao: not exactly a difficult schedule here: 10 Nov 14 TEN @ MIA

11 Nov 21 WAS @ TEN

12 Nov 28 TEN @ HOU

13 Dec 05 JAC @ TEN

14 Dec 09 IND @ TEN

15 Dec 19 HOU @ TEN

16 Dec 26 TEN @ KC

17 Jan 02 TEN @ IND

Vince Young, 39 career starts, 39 TD passes. 2009: 10 Starts, 10 TD passes.2010: 16 starts, 28 TD passes?!

Sorry, I don't see it, because the Titans did not sign Randy Moss and Andre Johnson in the off-season.

Vince Young, 39 career starts, 39 TD passes. 2009: 10 Starts, 10 TD passes.2010: 16 starts, 28 TD passes?!

Sorry, I don't see it, because the Titans did not sign Randy Moss and Andre Johnson in the off-season.
Yeah, people always play to their career average. :hey:

:lmao: not exactly a difficult schedule here: 10 Nov 14 TEN @ MIA

11 Nov 21 WAS @ TEN

12 Nov 28 TEN @ HOU

13 Dec 05 JAC @ TEN

14 Dec 09 IND @ TEN

15 Dec 19 HOU @ TEN

16 Dec 26 TEN @ KC

17 Jan 02 TEN @ IND
You think?Miami looks ready to be pretty staunch. A a lot of people think with Shanny and McNabb that Washington will be much improved.

Then 2 games against top tier division rivals Houston and Indy...those appear to be 6 quality opponents in 8 weeks.

:blackdot: not exactly a difficult schedule here: 10 Nov 14 TEN @ MIA

11 Nov 21 WAS @ TEN

12 Nov 28 TEN @ HOU

13 Dec 05 JAC @ TEN

14 Dec 09 IND @ TEN

15 Dec 19 HOU @ TEN

16 Dec 26 TEN @ KC

17 Jan 02 TEN @ IND
You think?Miami looks ready to be pretty staunch. A a lot of people think with Shanny and McNabb that Washington will be much improved.

Then 2 games against top tier division rivals Houston and Indy...those appear to be 6 quality opponents in 8 weeks.
I'm not saying these teams are all pushovers, but overall it's weaker than average IMO. We can pretty much assume Indy is taking a lot of week 17 off, KC isn't strong, 3 weeks at home against the division is nice, especially as Indy and Houston are great offense but average defenses, and the Jags are pretty bad against the pass. Miami might be improved from last year's bottom 10 pass D, and Washington is tough but that's the only away game I'd consider "tough" for a decent QB, 2 easier games, and the rest are pretty average. Whether or not VY is a decent QB, we'll see. But it's not the schedule that would be his undoing.

ETA: I didn't notice only 4 days off before the Colts in week 14, that could be tough. Especially if CJ is carrying a heavy load again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread