What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Devin Hester, WR, Chicago Bears (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Devin Hester, WR, Chicago Bears

Player Page Link: Devin Hester Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :thumbup: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

The abundance of options in the passing game in CHI makes this a hard projection. You've got(in no particular order)...

Johnny Knox

Earl Bennett

Devin Aromashodu

Devin Hester

Greg Olsen

Could this be a situation similar to the Jets where there are several pretty talented options, but too hard to guess which one will be productive from week to week?

Hester is a great fit for this system in slot role. I see him more as a 45rec 600yds 5-6 TD guy.

Only the Bears could take the best return man the NFL has seen in years and turn him in to an average WR (at best). Rumor was that the Bears planned to cut back on his snaps at WR and let him return full time to the return game. Now of course the reports out of OTAs say he is running with the first team. I really feel that now the HC and GM are on the hot seat, they call this experiment over and get Hester back to doing what he does best.

Hester is a great fit for this system in slot role. I see him more as a 45rec 600yds 5-6 TD guy. Only the Bears could take the best return man the NFL has seen in years and turn him in to an average WR (at best). Rumor was that the Bears planned to cut back on his snaps at WR and let him return full time to the return game. Now of course the reports out of OTAs say he is running with the first team. I really feel that now the HC and GM are on the hot seat, they call this experiment over and get Hester back to doing what he does best.
I haven't seen anything to suggest he won't be a full time WR:May. 22 - 2:39 pm et - Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz confirmed that he is committed to using Devin Hester as a starting wide receiver.Upon being hired, Martz initially suggested Hester would be used like Az Hakim -- as a non-full-time slot receiver in order to keep him fresh for returns. Martz has changed his mind. "He's our starter," the pass-happy coordinator said. "I think he's an elite wide receiver. There's no question about that."Source: Chicago Tribune May. 23 - 3:37 pm et - According to the Chicago Sun Times, new Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz "has big plans for Devin Hester."Hester is reportedly learning to line up all over the field, making "the challenge for defenses ... to find him and account for him." At least one of the Bears' receivers is almost certainly going to finish among the top-20 fantasy wideouts. Starters Hester and Johnny Knox's values are on the rise.

Hester is a great fit for this system in slot role. I see him more as a 45rec 600yds 5-6 TD guy. Only the Bears could take the best return man the NFL has seen in years and turn him in to an average WR (at best). Rumor was that the Bears planned to cut back on his snaps at WR and let him return full time to the return game. Now of course the reports out of OTAs say he is running with the first team. I really feel that now the HC and GM are on the hot seat, they call this experiment over and get Hester back to doing what he does best.
I haven't seen anything to suggest he won't be a full time WR:May. 22 - 2:39 pm et - Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz confirmed that he is committed to using Devin Hester as a starting wide receiver.Upon being hired, Martz initially suggested Hester would be used like Az Hakim -- as a non-full-time slot receiver in order to keep him fresh for returns. Martz has changed his mind. "He's our starter," the pass-happy coordinator said. "I think he's an elite wide receiver. There's no question about that."Source: Chicago Tribune May. 23 - 3:37 pm et - According to the Chicago Sun Times, new Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz "has big plans for Devin Hester."Hester is reportedly learning to line up all over the field, making "the challenge for defenses ... to find him and account for him." At least one of the Bears' receivers is almost certainly going to finish among the top-20 fantasy wideouts. Starters Hester and Johnny Knox's values are on the rise.
Hmmm, now I can't find a link backing up my statement. So maybe I'm full of it. Could have been some radio show where they were speculating and I took it as fact. If Hester is the #1 guy I guess he is worth a look. I'm still not going to hold my breath that the guy will transition to be a stud WR.

Devin Hester is without doubt an intriguing prospect for 2010. He is entering his fourth season playing as a WR and has shown improvement each year. The Bears added Jay Cutler a year ago as their starting QB and although he disappointed in 09, there are reasons for optimism for 2010 and beyond.

Chicago featured three WRs with similar targets a year ago. Hester had the most success, but all three were closely grouped and a fourth, Devin Aromashodu played very well down the stretch. Looking forward the Bears have hired Coach Martz as the offensive coordinator and his scheme seems to be something that Cutler could excel in. Similarly, Hester seems to be a good fit. I think that he will continue to show improvement in 2010 and there is a potential there that he could vastly exceed his draft slot. Hester currently is being drafted at WR 47 and 134 overall. If the Martz scheme succeeds in getting Hester free in space, there could be the long gains that many expected when he initially shifted out to WR.

In fact, though Hester's catch percentage has improved every season, from 52.6% in 07 up to 62.6% last year, his ypc has gone the other way, from 14.9 in 07 down to 13.3 last year. I look for both numbers to rise slightly in 2010. The projections below would provide extreme value for such a late pick and in my opinion, there is potential for even more success.

Devin Hester 16 gms 120 targets (7.5 per game) 78 catches 65.0% 1092 yards 14.0 ypc and 5 TDs 10 rushes 60 yds 0 TDs

That "experiment" was very succesful at the beginning of last season. I happen to think Hester is being criminally overlooked, and I'm scooping him up everywhere I can. I fuly expect him to be the #1 in Chicago and put up fantasy #2/3 numbers.Something along the lines of 75/1000/6. Not a stud, but far more then an "average NFL WR".

I'm a little bit shocked at the ranking here compared to the ADP of other sites. FBG has him ranked 79th overall while everyone else is closer to 130th overall.

Especially with the news that Knox is the #1 WR in camp.

Users who are viewing this thread