What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cedric Benson, RB, Cincinnati Bengals (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Cedric Benson, RB, Cincinnati Bengals

Player Page Link: Cedric Benson Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :goodposting: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

I think he'll hit 350 carries this year. Prior to his injury last year, he was averaging 24.75 carries per game. After his injury, they 'limited' him to just 24 carries per game. 350 carries would be around 22 carries per game.

While they may have a little tougher rushing schedule (swap AFC West for East, but NFC North for South), they will have Andre Smith healthy and have made improvements in their passing game. That should open some holes in the rushing game. It should also lead to more TDs for the offense. I don't see why Benson can't match the rushing average from last year and increase his TD totals.

350-1450-10, 20-150-0

I'll take a shot at this one being one of my favorite players. Looking at his stats from previous years I see he has never had over 6 td's in a season and over 20 catches. Last season was his first season with over 750 yards and his first 300 yard carry season. I predict he will increase his td's and carries but his yards per carry will stay about the same.

320 carries 1350yds 9 t/d's 18 catches 150yds

Benson missed weeks 11, 12, and 17 last season, and only got 7 carries in the week 10 game vs PIT..

here were his stats from 09'

301 carries for 1,251 yards(4.16 avg) with 6 rushing TDs, adding 17 receptions for 111 yards

The Bengals as a team:

low ranking with only 9 rushing TDs

average yards per carry as a team with a 4.1 YPC

ranked 4th in rushing attempts with 505 behing only the Jets(607), Panthers(525), and Dolphins(509)

Benson did not score a TD after coming back from injury in the regular season. He did have some productive games in weeks 13-16 going over 100 yards rushing twice and gaining 96 yards in another game..just didn't score. He also had a very nice game against a very tough rushing D in the playoff loss to the Jets where he gained 169 yards on 21 carries with 1 TD...plus a 12 yard reception.

Looking to 2010, barring injury(which nobody can predict), if he can stay healthy and play 16 games, I can see Benson having a really, really nice season.

330 carries, 1,350 yards, 20 receptions, 125 yards, 10 total TDs

1,475 total yards and 10 total TDs..I see a very solid RB1 type season from Benson this year

Benson did not score a TD after coming back from injury in the regular season.
That's a good point about his TDs. I think it's probably related more to the loss of Henry in the offense than to Benson's injury. they just happened to occur about the same time. Once Henry was out, the offense became one dimensional. The additions to their passing game should alleviate that problem.

For about a year and a half, Cedric Benson has taken his game to another level. He's the type of back who can carry the entire load for a team and really wants to do just that. However, Benson doesn't know what's good for him because it was evident he started to wear down in the latter parts of last season. I think the coaching staff saw that and that they'll try and limit Benson to some degree during the season, meaning they're not going to give this guy 30 carries a game, he just can't do it.

I see another solid season for Benson.

1200 yards, 7 td's 18 receptions for 100 yards

I can't remember the last time a featured Bengals RB wasn't good for FF. 10? 15? years.

However many, there's a point that that becomes something to rely on for FF. Benson seems to be a very safe pick.

Benson is going to be a stud this year. With another year of experience for the young OL, Palmer getting more options to go to in the passing game will open holes for Benson in the run game.

330 carries, 1450 yards, 25 Rec, 140 yards, 10 Total TD's........workhorse!

Cerdric Benson was the work horse for the Bengals last year and averaged a career high 4.2 ypc on 301 carries. He seemed to be at his best when he got a lot of carries. He had six games that he rushed for over 100 yards in the regular season and in each of those contests, he had at least 27 carries. I think that Benson will remain the primary RB for the Bengals, but I doubt that he will have as many carries per game as he did a year ago, when he averaged 23.2 rushes per game and had one game with only 7 carries before he got hurt. Discounting that game, he averaged 24.5. I believe that the additional weapons added in the passing game (Antonio Bryant, Matt Jones, Jermaine Gresham, and Jordan SHipley) will help the Bengals to improve their passing effficiency and to balance their offense more.

In 09, the Bengals had only 477 passes compared to 635 runs. They ran the ball 57.1% of their offensive plays. That number will likely decrease and Benson's number of carries with it. However, since he missed three games and I don't project missed games my attempts will be slightly more than he had a year ago. I just don't think that he will have six games where he has 27 or more rushes to allow him such an opportunity at 100 yards.

His current ADP is RB 12 and 21 overall, which seems a little high. In ppr scoring, his ADP drops down to RB 17. That seems like a fair assessment of his value.

Cedric Benson 16 gms 318 carries 1367 yds 4.3 ypc 36 targets 26 catches 182 yds 7.0 ypc and 9 TDs

Cerdric Benson was the work horse for the Bengals last year and averaged a career high 4.2 ypc on 301 carries. He seemed to be at his best when he got a lot of carries. He had six games that he rushed for over 100 yards in the regular season and in each of those contests, he had at least 27 carries. I think that Benson will remain the primary RB for the Bengals, but I doubt that he will have as many carries per game as he did a year ago, when he averaged 23.2 rushes per game and had one game with only 7 carries before he got hurt. Discounting that game, he averaged 24.5. I believe that the additional weapons added in the passing game (Antonio Bryant, Matt Jones, Jermaine Gresham, and Jordan SHipley) will help the Bengals to improve their passing effficiency and to balance their offense more.

In 09, the Bengals had only 477 passes compared to 635 runs. They ran the ball 57.1% of their offensive plays. That number will likely decrease and Benson's number of carries with it. However, since he missed three games and I don't project missed games my attempts will be slightly more than he had a year ago. I just don't think that he will have six games where he has 27 or more rushes to allow him such an opportunity at 100 yards.

His current ADP is RB 12 and 21 overall, which seems a little high. In ppr scoring, his ADP drops down to RB 17. That seems like a fair assessment of his value.

Cedric Benson 16 gms 318 carries 1367 yds 4.3 ypc 36 targets 26 catches 182 yds 7.0 ypc and 9 TDs
Would love to hear the 12 RBS you'd take over him in a NON PPR league that makes his ADP too high. Even your projections seem to indicate you think he'll be a top 5 RB.My projections are close to yours -

330 carries, 1300 yards, 20 catch, 150 yards and a total of 10 TDS

People seem pretty bullish on Benson, Palmer and the CIN offense to improve but I wonder how many would expect them to win even 10 games again.

In 09, the Bengals had only 477 passes compared to 635 runs. They ran the ball 57.1% of their offensive plays. That number will likely decrease and Benson's number of carries with it.
They only had 505 rushing plays (452 by RBs).
took stats from FBG projection page which lists the folowing:

QB 42 carries for 105 yds 3 TDs

RB 584 carries for 2226 yds 6 TDs carries and yards do look high

WR 9 carries 62 yds 0 TDs

the number did seem high to me

NFL Stats list 505 carries for 2056 yards and 9 TDs

In 09, the Bengals had only 477 passes compared to 635 runs. They ran the ball 57.1% of their offensive plays. That number will likely decrease and Benson's number of carries with it.
They only had 505 rushing plays (452 by RBs).
took stats from FBG projection page which lists the folowing:

QB 42 carries for 105 yds 3 TDs

RB 584 carries for 2226 yds 6 TDs carries and yards do look high

WR 9 carries 62 yds 0 TDs

the number did seem high to me

NFL Stats list 505 carries for 2056 yards and 9 TDs
FBGs must have included LJs stats from KC.

Chicago Hooligan said:
People seem pretty bullish on Benson, Palmer and the CIN offense to improve but I wonder how many would expect them to win even 10 games again.
I thought you learned your lesson on Benson? :rolleyes: It's not like the Bengals were beating up on just bad teams in 2009 with wins @GB, Pitt twice, Baltimore twice, and then the cupcake victories with Cleveland twice, KC, Detroit, and a blowout of Chicago. Benson ran all over some really tough defenses in 2009, including the Jets in the playoffs.

Their schedule this year doesn't look any more imposing than it did in 2009.

As it stands now the Bengals still have several games against mediocre run defenses. The bolded are games against run defenses I would expect to be average or below. NE, BAL, CAR, CLE, TB, ATL, MIA, PIT, IND, BUF, NYJ, NO, PIT, CLE, and SD, BAL(17). That's ten games. I didn't include Pittsuburgh or Baltimore, who they play in week 17 anyway, but Benson basically tore their defenses up in 2009 3 out of 4 games and he was injured in the other.

I think the people predicting an uptick in the Bengal's offense are seeing the additional WR options for Palmer as pretty major upgrades compared to the scrubs he was throwing to last year. I still didn't think Palmer was "right," but I do know that there were alot of dropped passes that killed drives. A little improvement here can really open things up for Benson.

Whether the passing game improves or not it's still apparent that Cedric Benson is going to get alot of carries(barring injury you have to project 320+) and all of the goalline work (I'm expecting him to get more opportunities this season).

Another great thing about drafting Benson and the Bengal running game in general is that the carries almost always go to one guy. Knowing this makes it easy to handcuff Benson by taking Bernard Scott late. If Benson does go down to injury Scott looked capable enough to fill in as a RB2.

I'm also excited about Andre Smith being in the lineup for an entire season. He's a road grader of a lineman.

Cedric looked like a heck of a running back last year, he's playing for another contract, but alot of people still seem to think his 2009 season was a fluke. He's been extremely consistent during his tenure in Cincinnati, and I'm expecting more of the same in 2010.

Fantasy players are still apprehensive about the less than mediocre start to his career in Chicago, and that risk is priced into his ADP. Pairing him up in the late second or early third round with one of the big four running backs will make for a potent tandem.

320 carries for 1,312 yards (4.1 per carry), 25 receptions for 250 yards and 9 total TDs.

Hey I was also right about a bunch of stuff.

But I mean for predictions to indicate a broad uptick in stats for the offense, but for the team to perform the same or worse, I'm not so sure.

I would think the TO signing will help open up some room for Cedric while also extending drives and provide all Bengals with more scoring chances???

I would think the TO signing will help open up some room for Cedric while also extending drives and provide all Bengals with more scoring chances???
Either that or Palmer throws to a wide open TO or Ochocinco 50 yards down the field on every series because there are 8 men in the box trying to stop Benson the beast.Something's gotta give......

I like Benson this year, I see some pretty major numbers coming his way barring injury. He'll get well over 300 carries and log some 1200+ yards.

I'm wondering how the addition of Owens will affect his numbers, I think favorably.

I'm sitting on the fence of keeping Charles or Benson, I seem to switch my choice daily!

Maybe I'll luck out and draft whichever I don't keep.

I like Benson this year, I see some pretty major numbers coming his way barring injury. He'll get well over 300 carries and log some 1200+ yards.I'm wondering how the addition of Owens will affect his numbers, I think favorably.I'm sitting on the fence of keeping Charles or Benson, I seem to switch my choice daily!Maybe I'll luck out and draft whichever I don't keep.
Pre-season carries that I've seen so far show me he's still maintaining his downhill run style and he's catching some balls now too. Lack of TD's was more the limited chances inside the 5 for the offense as a whole.I'm hoping he's there in the 3rd round for me to pluck. (My league goes WR heavy early).290x4.5= 1300 10TD's.

I just got him in the 3rd as my RB2!

Best thing about Benson is if you also get Scott you have a stud RB no matter what

I like Benson this year, I see some pretty major numbers coming his way barring injury. He'll get well over 300 carries and log some 1200+ yards.I'm wondering how the addition of Owens will affect his numbers, I think favorably.I'm sitting on the fence of keeping Charles or Benson, I seem to switch my choice daily!Maybe I'll luck out and draft whichever I don't keep.
Pre-season carries that I've seen so far show me he's still maintaining his downhill run style and he's catching some balls now too. Lack of TD's was more the limited chances inside the 5 for the offense as a whole.I'm hoping he's there in the 3rd round for me to pluck. (My league goes WR heavy early).290x4.5= 1300 10TD's.
actually got him in the 4th.....stunning.

I just got him in the 3rd as my RB2!Best thing about Benson is if you also get Scott you have a stud RB no matter what
I have my fingers crossed that I will be as lucky. He's the feature back on a running team that is now featuring a seemingly improved offense. T.O. & Gresham should keep some drives alive that would have otherwise stalled. Including the game against Pittsburgh where he was knocked out early, he averaged 96.2 yds rushing per game. He performed pretty well against the toughest run Ds in the league.I think he puts up similar stats to Michael Turner this year minus a few Tds.Edited to add that if you add in his 1 playoff game, the guy rushed for 101 yds/game. Not too shabby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread