What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall, WR, Miami Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Brandon Marshall, WR, Miami Dolphins

Player Page Link: Brandon Marshall Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :goodposting: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Marshall will be an absolute beast this year and somebody I want on as many teams as I can get him on. He gets a massive upgrade at QB with Henne who has a great arm. Miami's running game keeps defences honest and while his supporting cast of WRs won't be really relevant from a fantasy perspective, I think they as a collective take some pressure off Marshall. He might be limited some weeks playing in the same division as the Jets but he'll still post his usual strong numbers. His yards should increase this year slightly and I don't see a major drop in his receptions. TDs are hard to gauge but I'm projecting him at 97/1212/10

WRs numbers often dip when switching teams and I think Miami will continue to be a run-first oriented offense.

65/900/7

A team doesn't make a trade to get a player like Marshall and then pay him like they did and then use his as much as they used Bess last year. Being the most talented player on the offense he will be the focal point of the offense. No they aren't going to become a passing team but they will get him the ball often. He's a great run blocker (which works well with Miami) and he's a great runner with the ball in his hands and with the creative things they've done with the wildcat I'd expect that they'll find multiple ways to use his great skillsets.

I see no reason why his numbers should dip much from his days in Denver and he'll likely be a top 5 to 10 wr.

85-1100-8Td

It's Miami, he'll do well but Henne is still developing and Miami is a team that has not arrived yet. The front 7 on defense scares me as much as anything, it's in shambles and that could limit the offense and where they set up shop on the field all the time. I really am concerned that Miami will take a step back this year in order to take some steps forward. They are only 2 years removed from going 1-15. They lost Taylor and Porter, have absolutely no pass rush they can rely on right now with a rookie OLB and Wake form the CFL, c'mon now. Also they lost their NT for the 1st 8 games, and Merling the DE beat up a pregnant woman and was arrested then charged with assault, doubtful he is going to see the field a lot after Roger Goodell gets done with him...I'm surprised he is even practicing with the team.

I talk about the Dolphins defense because it impacts the offense and has been the glue for us the past 2 seasons. Don't overspend on Marshall but he will produce solid numbers.

very rare you see a wr in his prime switch teams. Wouldnt be surprised to see a slight dip in year 1, but I'm not betting against Marshall on the field.

90 1200 8 td

85-1100-8TdIt's Miami, he'll do well but Henne is still developing and Miami is a team that has not arrived yet. The front 7 on defense scares me as much as anything, it's in shambles and that could limit the offense and where they set up shop on the field all the time. I really am concerned that Miami will take a step back this year in order to take some steps forward. They are only 2 years removed from going 1-15. They lost Taylor and Porter, have absolutely no pass rush they can rely on right now with a rookie OLB and Wake form the CFL, c'mon now. Also they lost their NT for the 1st 8 games, and Merling the DE beat up a pregnant woman and was arrested then charged with assault, doubtful he is going to see the field a lot after Roger Goodell gets done with him...I'm surprised he is even practicing with the team.I talk about the Dolphins defense because it impacts the offense and has been the glue for us the past 2 seasons. Don't overspend on Marshall but he will produce solid numbers.
all this is good stuff MOP but shouldn't all that in theory make the run game less of a staple since the games won't be as close. Therefore, they may not be able to run into the 4th qtr and be forced to pass and thus lean MORE on Marshall?

Banger said:
Ministry of Pain said:
85-1100-8TdIt's Miami, he'll do well but Henne is still developing and Miami is a team that has not arrived yet. The front 7 on defense scares me as much as anything, it's in shambles and that could limit the offense and where they set up shop on the field all the time. I really am concerned that Miami will take a step back this year in order to take some steps forward. They are only 2 years removed from going 1-15. They lost Taylor and Porter, have absolutely no pass rush they can rely on right now with a rookie OLB and Wake form the CFL, c'mon now. Also they lost their NT for the 1st 8 games, and Merling the DE beat up a pregnant woman and was arrested then charged with assault, doubtful he is going to see the field a lot after Roger Goodell gets done with him...I'm surprised he is even practicing with the team.I talk about the Dolphins defense because it impacts the offense and has been the glue for us the past 2 seasons. Don't overspend on Marshall but he will produce solid numbers.
all this is good stuff MOP but shouldn't all that in theory make the run game less of a staple since the games won't be as close. Therefore, they may not be able to run into the 4th qtr and be forced to pass and thus lean MORE on Marshall?
Asking price is too high for me, which is typically 2nd round. I'd rather wait until 3rd and get a WR who will perform with similar numbers.Too much hype surrounding Marshall for my blood.

Banger said:
Ministry of Pain said:
85-1100-8Td

It's Miami, he'll do well but Henne is still developing and Miami is a team that has not arrived yet. The front 7 on defense scares me as much as anything, it's in shambles and that could limit the offense and where they set up shop on the field all the time. I really am concerned that Miami will take a step back this year in order to take some steps forward. They are only 2 years removed from going 1-15. They lost Taylor and Porter, have absolutely no pass rush they can rely on right now with a rookie OLB and Wake form the CFL, c'mon now. Also they lost their NT for the 1st 8 games, and Merling the DE beat up a pregnant woman and was arrested then charged with assault, doubtful he is going to see the field a lot after Roger Goodell gets done with him...I'm surprised he is even practicing with the team.

I talk about the Dolphins defense because it impacts the offense and has been the glue for us the past 2 seasons. Don't overspend on Marshall but he will produce solid numbers.
Asking price is too high for me, which is typically 2nd round. I'd rather wait until 3rd and get a WR who will perform with similar numbers.Too much hype surrounding Marshall for my blood.
Like who? Aside from it being unlikely to find a WR putting up similar #'s to what he'll be able to put up since there's only a handful to begin with, how are you going to figure out which one it will be that will go that late and not be picked by someone else?

I'm really high on Marshall this year as I think Henne is an upgrade at QB from Orton. Marshall has caught 100+ balls the past 3 years, but his ypc has declined. I expect it to jump back up to where it was 3 years ago with a stronger-armed QB in Henne taking the reigns.

100 receptions, 1300 yards, 12 TDs.

I think he's definitely top 5 at WR this year.

Banger said:
Ministry of Pain said:
85-1100-8Td

Like who? Aside from it being unlikely to find a WR putting up similar #'s to what he'll be able to put up since there's only a handful to begin with, how are you going to figure out which one it will be that will go that late and not be picked by someone else?
both Steve Smiths typically go in the 3rd sometime slip to 4th. Sidney Rice, Jennings, Boldin, Chad, must I go on?

Banger said:
Ministry of Pain said:
85-1100-8Td

both Steve Smiths typically go in the 3rd sometime slip to 4th. Sidney Rice, Jennings, Boldin, Chad, must I go on?
Roddy White!!!

Roddy White!!!
I think White gets drafted before or directly around Marshall. When one of those guys goes off the board the other is following. Those are the end of the top tier and the next owner will be clamoring to get the other. In short, I don't think that even if he goes off the board there is no way White lasts another round, as per his strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Banger said:
Ministry of Pain said:
Excellent question BangerThe ability to not stop teams creates long drives sometimes and the offense could be sitting on the bench for 4-6 minutes a clip, then they hit the field down a score, maybe go 3 n out, back to the sidelines for what feels like eternitites. Now we think Henne will be OK, but what happens when the team is down 14, and the opposition is pinning their ears back? I understand your POV, and it's reasonable to think Maimi will have to throw in the 4th, but their are teams that get beaten handily every week and it doesn't always equate to fantasy gold. I really am just injecting a hard dose of reality about the Miami defense. I should go back to last year and chart some games where teams were well behind and what they were able to do. If a defense knows you are throwing the ball, interceptions and sacks which kill drives are bound to happen. I am not a Miami optimist this year nor was I last year and said they might win 8 games and IIRC we went 7-9 I think. Miami is probably somewhere in the 5-7 win category again this year despit what the Dolfans will tell you.

I'm really high on Marshall this year as I think Henne is an upgrade at QB from Orton. Marshall has caught 100+ balls the past 3 years, but his ypc has declined. I expect it to jump back up to where it was 3 years ago with a stronger-armed QB in Henne taking the reigns.100 receptions, 1300 yards, 12 TDs.I think he's definitely top 5 at WR this year.
Just so we're grounded slightly in reality, no Miami WR has ever posted 100 receptions and that includes some serious talent like Mark Clayton and Mark Duper with the perhaps the most gifted QB of all time, Dan Marino throwing the ball. Be interesting to see how Marshall enjoys that Miami heat and blass slipping out due to humidity he's probably never seen. So you're projecting Marshall to break all Miami records? You certainly entitled to do it but I just want some calrity in this thread.

A beast.

94 receptions 1225 yards and 11 TD's

He is the focal point and center piece of this offense...make no mistake. You can talk all day about "Miami is going to run all day"....but they will be playing from behind often. We have a very young and green defense that we will be fielding. And I don't see us winning more than 8-9 games tops...and that is being a realistic fan and the high end. We are still a year and one more solid draft/offseason away from making a real run.

Marshall is a top 5 WR. I am coming in on the the high side here...but he is just so damm good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so we're grounded slightly in reality, no Miami WR has ever posted 100 receptions and that includes some serious talent like Mark Clayton and Mark Duper with the perhaps the most gifted QB of all time, Dan Marino throwing the ball. Be interesting to see how Marshall enjoys that Miami heat and blass slipping out due to humidity he's probably never seen. So you're projecting Marshall to break all Miami records? You certainly entitled to do it but I just want some calrity in this thread.
Do you think records from 20 years ago are relevant to projections?Certainly 100 receptions is still a great achievement but much more common that it once was.

Do you think records from 20 years ago are relevant to projections?Certainly 100 receptions is still a great achievement but much more common that it once was.
Ther are 64 starting WRs in the NFL, sometimes more. What is the % of them that hit 100+ receptions a year? I agree that it happens more often now, but it still is not common. And Marino still holds the record for most passing yds in a season from 1984 with 5,084 yds IIRC, and only 2 QBs have managed to pass for more Tds than Marino did in 1984 with 48. Records are records. I'm just saying that projecting Marshall for 100 receptions is having him become the 1st in the 42 year history of the Miami Dolphins, that's all. It's a lot of receptions and also no WR that I know of under Parcell's watch has ever gotten there. Marshall might, but he has a lot to overcome to get there.

Just so we're grounded slightly in reality, no Miami WR has ever posted 100 receptions and that includes some serious talent like Mark Clayton and Mark Duper with the perhaps the most gifted QB of all time, Dan Marino throwing the ball. Be interesting to see how Marshall enjoys that Miami heat and blass slipping out due to humidity he's probably never seen.

So you're projecting Marshall to break all Miami records? You certainly entitled to do it but I just want some calrity in this thread.
Considering he played high school and college ball in Florida, I'd say he knows what to expect.

Ther are 64 starting WRs in the NFL, sometimes more. What is the % of them that hit 100+ receptions a year? I agree that it happens more often now, but it still is not common. And Marino still holds the record for most passing yds in a season from 1984 with 5,084 yds IIRC, and only 2 QBs have managed to pass for more Tds than Marino did in 1984 with 48. Records are records. I'm just saying that projecting Marshall for 100 receptions is having him become the 1st in the 42 year history of the Miami Dolphins, that's all. It's a lot of receptions and also no WR that I know of under Parcell's watch has ever gotten there. Marshall might, but he has a lot to overcome to get there.
I agree that it's very reasonable to project him for less than 100 this year. The fairly old records from the team he happened to join aren't a reason though.

Banger said:
Ministry of Pain said:
Excellent question BangerThe ability to not stop teams creates long drives sometimes and the offense could be sitting on the bench for 4-6 minutes a clip, then they hit the field down a score, maybe go 3 n out, back to the sidelines for what feels like eternitites. Now we think Henne will be OK, but what happens when the team is down 14, and the opposition is pinning their ears back? I understand your POV, and it's reasonable to think Maimi will have to throw in the 4th, but their are teams that get beaten handily every week and it doesn't always equate to fantasy gold. I really am just injecting a hard dose of reality about the Miami defense. I should go back to last year and chart some games where teams were well behind and what they were able to do. If a defense knows you are throwing the ball, interceptions and sacks which kill drives are bound to happen. I am not a Miami optimist this year nor was I last year and said they might win 8 games and IIRC we went 7-9 I think. Miami is probably somewhere in the 5-7 win category again this year despit what the Dolfans will tell you.
Marshall was as at his best when the Denver defense was at its worst.

Just so we're grounded slightly in reality, no Miami WR has ever posted 100 receptions and that includes some serious talent like Mark Clayton and Mark Duper with the perhaps the most gifted QB of all time, Dan Marino throwing the ball. Be interesting to see how Marshall enjoys that Miami heat and blass slipping out due to humidity he's probably never seen.

So you're projecting Marshall to break all Miami records? You certainly entitled to do it but I just want some calrity in this thread.
Considering he played high school and college ball in Florida, I'd say he knows what to expect.
:coffee:

A WR had 100 or more receptions 37 times over the past 10 years.

And 3 of 37 have been Marshall - the last 3 years in a row. I realized I never posted projections. I do think he will dip...slightly. I think Miami likes to run a little more (actually, ALOT more - they were 3rd in rushing attempts in '09 and 12th in rushing attemtps in '08, while Denver was 14th and 28th respectively), so I'd see Marshall pulling in 94 for 1150 and 8 TDs - which will likely land him right around WR10.

So 3.7 times a year, we'll round up to 4...64 divided by 4 =16 which we would flip to a 1 in 16 chance or %wise it would be a little over a 6% chance or a 94% chance he won't hit it. Now I will use those numbers to create a reason he could hit them...Marshall owns 3 straight in the last 3 years...let's use 4 per year, 12 the last 3 seasons and he has 3 of them or 25% of them. So maybe he has a 1 in 4 chance of hitting those numbers, but many posters see 3 out of 3 and think he has a 1 in 1 chance of making 100 receptions this season which I find absurd. Thanks David

So 3.7 times a year, we'll round up to 4...64 divided by 4 =16 which we would flip to a 1 in 16 chance or %wise it would be a little over a 6% chance or a 94% chance he won't hit it. Now I will use those numbers to create a reason he could hit them...Marshall owns 3 straight in the last 3 years...let's use 4 per year, 12 the last 3 seasons and he has 3 of them or 25% of them. So maybe he has a 1 in 4 chance of hitting those numbers, but many posters see 3 out of 3 and think he has a 1 in 1 chance of making 100 receptions this season which I find absurd. Thanks David
I'm not sure math enters into this quite so easily, but I would suggest that Marshall has a much better chance of hitting 100 receptions than about 90% of other receivers in the league.I agree that I would take the under if the bar is set at 100, but I think he will be much closer than all but a handful of players. I doubt we could come up with 10 other players (at WR) with a legit chance of getting to 100 receptions. If Marshall "only" had 90 receptions, would he then be deemed a bust?

Brandon Marshall is a freakish athlete. He's one of the few wide receivers that can dominate a football game at the wide receiver position. I think Miami will be smart enough to use Marshall as they should, a weapon. Henne will be a better than average pocket passer and I think the two of them should be very good together.

95 receptions for 1200 yards for 9 td's

4 rushes for 44 yards

Several posters have stated that Miami is a running team and they have been in the recent past. However, their current running backs are Ronnie Brown, who has ended tow of the last three seasons on IR and is coming off foot surgery, and Ricky Williams, who although he had a great season in 09, has already turned 33 years old.

Meanwhile, they have a QB with a solid arm, who completed over 60% of his passes in his first season starting and has swapped Brandon Marshall for Tedd Ginn, but otherwise maintained the same young receiver corps. Henne passed for over 300 yards in three of the Dolphins last five games a year ago, so there is something there to build on.

Miami may not have had a 100 catch wide receiver before, but when they had an awesome aerial attack back in the old days, they had two very good WRs. I submit that Brandon Marshall is their best WR, and by a far shot. I also think that Henne is at least as talented as Orton and he was able to get Marshall the ball. One hundred catches would be hard to do, but I would not consider it as a monstrous shocking event either.

Brandon Marshall 16 gms 155 targets 96 catches 62% 1296 yds 13.5 ypc and 10 TDs

all this love for marshall... it seems based on the simplest "well he caught 100+ passes the last 3 years, so he'll do it again...." never mind the fact that he's changed teams. :thumbup:

from the team spotlight:

has any WR on a Bill Parcells team ever caught 100 passes? I know he's the GM, but Sparano is his disciple and the team has been built the Parcells way.

Terrell Owens' best seasons in Dallas should give us a clue as to Marshall's ceiling. he is after all "Baby TO."

2006 - 85/1200/13

2007 - 81/1350/15

I doubt marshall will match those TD numbers, and he isn't quite the vertical threat that Owens was, but that gives us a good indication for receptions. I'm not sure why, but Marshall has never caught more than 10 TDs in a season (last year). In fact, his last three season Marshall has had 307 catches with only 23 TDs. that's got to be one of the lowest TD percentages in the league among elite WRs. I don't get it. It's almost Wes Welker-ish, but Marshall is 7 inches taller and 45 lbs heavier. It could be the scheme in Denver (although that scheme changed from Shanny to McDaniels) or it could be Marshall.... or of course a combination.

Owens averaged about 15 yards per reception in those two years, while Marshall has gone from 13 to 12 to 11 in the past three years. The yards per reception should increase a bit due to Henne's strong arm, and Miami's strong ground game leading to play-action over the top.

put all this in a pot and mix it up:

83 receptions, 1,120 yards (13.5 ypc), 10 TDs (5 year average of Owens and Marshall)

Book it: Marshall will not catch over 100 passes.

From the Data Dominator:

2009 Denver Broncos Pass Attempts: 559 rank 9th

2009 Miami Dolphins Pass Attempts: 545 rank 14th

Difference of 14 pass attempts. Less than one per game.

I think the Dolphins pass more than people realize. With improved QB play (ideally) and $ invested in Marshall, injury is the only thing preventing Marshall from seeing the same number of targets (154). I don't see Marshall getting less than 85 catches and double digit TD. 91/1201/12. This factors a 59% catch percentage on 154 targets and 13 yards per reception. Obviously I'm a big backer, but I see this as a floor for him.

Considering he's capable of getting 1/5 of that in one game, I'd say you have to throw out the old records from 20 years ago and look at what this guy has done in the last three.Something to think about with Marshall. He's on a new team and we've already heard in this thread about how the numbers drop. New QB, new scheme, new coach, etc can cause a WR's numbers to drop. But think about this. Marshall had to deal with all of that last year. New QB, new coach, new scheme, etc and he still tore it up. The only thing that didn't change was his address. Barring injury, I can't see how this guy doesn't have 90+ catches, 1100+ yards and 10 TD's.

Users who are viewing this thread