What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arrelious Benn & Mike Williams, WRs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Arrelious Benn & Mike Williams, WRs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Player Page Link: Arrelious Benn Player Page

Player Page Link: Mike Williams Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :banned: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Arrelious Benn- This big rookie WR out of Illinois should have plenty of chances to step in and make a name for himself. Tampa Bay showed signs of life in the passing game and Benn could be a direct beneficiary of that this season and years to come.

45 receptions for 520 yards and 4 td's

MIke Williams- Even larger rookie has some big play potential but I think it'll take him a little more time to find his way into the NFL game. Things such as route running and handling NFL Db's will take a little time but he'll also make some plays with his decent size.

34 receptions for 500 yards and 2 td's

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the chance to attend a film session with Bucs offensive coordinator Greg Olson on Saturday, where he broke down film and answered questions.

Olson basically said his favorite football player is Sammie Stroughter. He comes to work with a smile on his face, and works his ### off the all day. He comes in early, and stays late. Olson said that if someone asked him for a picture of what the ideal football player was, it would be of Sammie Stroughter. He went on and on about how impressed he was with Sammie. This wasn't just coach speak. Olson loves this kid. Also said that he doesn't think Stroughter has dropped a single pass this offseason so far.

When asked about who the most surprising rookie has been, Olson said Mike Williams. But as impressive as he has been, Williams' play on the field hasn't surprised him at all. He already knew Williams has skills. But Olson has been blown away with how much of a pleasure Williams is to be around. He talked about how he had character flags heading into the draft, but thinks he was just a little immature with how he handled the situation at Syracuse. He said he's easy to talk to and get along with. Has been a great teammate.

Anyways, as to my projections. I expect Mike Williams and Sammie Stroughter to be the starters opening day. Williams is by far the most talented wide receiver on the team, and I think he makes a big impact as a rookie. I think Stroughter will play the Wes Welker role in Tampa. He'll be a starter, but will move to the slot when the Bucs go 3 wide. I expect Sammie to catch a lot of passes. As far as Benn, I like his upside, but I don't see him making a huge impact as a rookie. Reggie Brown has looked good in camp, and I think him, Stovall, and Benn will battle for the 3rd WR spot.

Mike Williams- 60 Catches 900 yards 6 TDs

Sammie Stroughter- 65 Catches 780 yards 4 TDs

Arrelious Benn- 35 Catches 400 2 TDs

Mike Williams career college #'s= 133/2044/20

Arrelious Benn career college #= 159/2221/7

Williams had character issues and Benn had a high ankle sprain his junior year.

I'm not sure what to expect...all I know is TB will be trailing in games...they have a young QB gunslinger...and two new weapons on the outside.

I would guess both will have 50-60 for 800 and 5 tds.

I had the chance to attend a film session with Bucs offensive coordinator Greg Olson on Saturday, where he broke down film and answered questions. Olson basically said his favorite football player is Sammie Stroughter. He comes to work with a smile on his face, and works his ### off the all day. He comes in early, and stays late. Olson said that if someone asked him for a picture of what the ideal football player was, it would be of Sammie Stroughter. He went on and on about how impressed he was with Sammie. This wasn't just coach speak. Olson loves this kid. Also said that he doesn't think Stroughter has dropped a single pass this offseason so far.When asked about who the most surprising rookie has been, Olson said Mike Williams. But as impressive as he has been, Williams' play on the field hasn't surprised him at all. He already knew Williams has skills. But Olson has been blown away with how much of a pleasure Williams is to be around. He talked about how he had character flags heading into the draft, but thinks he was just a little immature with how he handled the situation at Syracuse. He said he's easy to talk to and get along with. Has been a great teammate. Anyways, as to my projections. I expect Mike Williams and Sammie Stroughter to be the starters opening day. Williams is by far the most talented wide receiver on the team, and I think he makes a big impact as a rookie. I think Stroughter will play the Wes Welker role in Tampa. He'll be a starter, but will move to the slot when the Bucs go 3 wide. I expect Sammie to catch a lot of passes. As far as Benn, I like his upside, but I don't see him making a huge impact as a rookie. Reggie Brown has looked good in camp, and I think him, Stovall, and Benn will battle for the 3rd WR spot.Mike Williams- 60 Catches 900 yards 6 TDsSammie Stroughter- 65 Catches 780 yards 4 TDsArrelious Benn- 35 Catches 400 2 TDs
Good stuff there.Stroughter had pretty much fallen off of my radar screen, so this is an interesting take.As for the pair of rookies, I really like Mike Williams. If he shows he has matured, he may have a bright future ahead of him. I still think he will produce little this season, however. 30/450/3Benn, on the other hand, strikes me as more NFL ready, and the better overall prospect. I see Benn as an early starter. 50/800/7

Mike Williams career college #'s= 133/2044/20Arrelious Benn career college #= 159/2221/7Williams had character issues and Benn had a high ankle sprain his junior year.I'm not sure what to expect...all I know is TB will be trailing in games...they have a young QB gunslinger...and two new weapons on the outside.I would guess both will have 50-60 for 800 and 5 tds.
Benn also had Juice Williams problems most of his career :lmao:

I had the chance to attend a film session with Bucs offensive coordinator Greg Olson on Saturday, where he broke down film and answered questions. Olson basically said his favorite football player is Sammie Stroughter. He comes to work with a smile on his face, and works his ### off the all day. He comes in early, and stays late. Olson said that if someone asked him for a picture of what the ideal football player was, it would be of Sammie Stroughter. He went on and on about how impressed he was with Sammie. This wasn't just coach speak. Olson loves this kid. Also said that he doesn't think Stroughter has dropped a single pass this offseason so far.When asked about who the most surprising rookie has been, Olson said Mike Williams. But as impressive as he has been, Williams' play on the field hasn't surprised him at all. He already knew Williams has skills. But Olson has been blown away with how much of a pleasure Williams is to be around. He talked about how he had character flags heading into the draft, but thinks he was just a little immature with how he handled the situation at Syracuse. He said he's easy to talk to and get along with. Has been a great teammate. Anyways, as to my projections. I expect Mike Williams and Sammie Stroughter to be the starters opening day. Williams is by far the most talented wide receiver on the team, and I think he makes a big impact as a rookie. I think Stroughter will play the Wes Welker role in Tampa. He'll be a starter, but will move to the slot when the Bucs go 3 wide. I expect Sammie to catch a lot of passes. As far as Benn, I like his upside, but I don't see him making a huge impact as a rookie. Reggie Brown has looked good in camp, and I think him, Stovall, and Benn will battle for the 3rd WR spot.Mike Williams- 60 Catches 900 yards 6 TDsSammie Stroughter- 65 Catches 780 yards 4 TDsArrelious Benn- 35 Catches 400 2 TDs
:shrug: I had a sneaking suspicion that Stroughter might be able to win the starting job going into this season and this is some great info to hear. I think he's worth a late round pick in PPR leagues. I'm skeptical of Mike Williams and if he's going to be good enough as a rookie to approach a thousand yard season and make a fantasy impact. But I'm skeptical of most rookie receivers.

Noon: Chat live with John Romano | Main | Former Bucs GM Rich McKay humbled to accept dad's honor »

June 16, 2010

Bucs receiver Sammie Stroughter working inside and outside

Sammie Stroughter made the most of his opportunities as the Bucs' third-down slot receiver as a rookie in 2009.

But he might expand that role in 2010 as he continues to take snaps as an outside receiver at times during OTAs.

Offensive coordinator Greg Olson is tinkering with ways to use Stroughter, who caught 31 passes for 334 yards last season -- the third-most catches on the team. If he takes some snaps on the edge this season, it will be a very different role for Stroughter.

"There's a lot more going on (in the slot)," he said. "When you're on the outside, (the defense) can only do so much. when you're on the inside, you have linebackers dropping (into coverage), you have defensive ends, defensive tackles dropping. You have to read the safeties and they're going to tell you everything.

"On the outside, you don't really have to worry about that. You don't have a defensive end dropping. So, it's about understanding that. And with the running game, you have to really bring your mouthpiece and (take) out a linebacker. You have to be willing to do that. It's just one of those things."

Playing on the outside, Stroughter will face a different set of challenges.

"They'll run Cover 2 and they bracket you like they did to (Antonio Bryant) last year," Stroughter said. "Other than that, it's freedom. You just have to work the sideline. . . I played (outside) in college, so that helps me out. I always try to keep things in my long-term memory."

But Stroughter, true to form, still seems more fond of doing the dirty work.

"I like the slot because even though there's a lot of traffic," he said. "If you guess right and if you know what you're doing -- like an Ike Hilliard or Wes Welker -- there's a lot of opportunity.

"But I like both. I just want to play. Wherever I play, I'm jumping in with both feet and I'm all in."

Posted by Stephen Holder at 01:44:42 PM on June 16, 2010

in | Permalink | Sign up for the Bucs email newsletter

Mike Williams career college #'s= 133/2044/20Arrelious Benn career college #= 159/2221/7Williams had character issues and Benn had a high ankle sprain his junior year.I'm not sure what to expect...all I know is TB will be trailing in games...they have a young QB gunslinger...and two new weapons on the outside.I would guess both will have 50-60 for 800 and 5 tds.
Benn also had Juice Williams problems most of his career :thumbup:
Benn played in 37 games in college. Williams played in 29 games. Williams scored 13 more TDs then Benn in 8 fewer games. People are overrating Benn because of where he was drafted. If it wasn't for Williams' off the field issues, he absolutely would have been taken before Benn. I do think Benn will be a good pro down the road, but Williams is going to be a stud.

Benn also had Juice Williams problems most of his career :sleep:
Benn played in 37 games in college. Williams played in 29 games. Williams scored 13 more TDs then Benn in 8 fewer games. People are overrating Benn because of where he was drafted. If it wasn't for Williams' off the field issues, he absolutely would have been taken before Benn. I do think Benn will be a good pro down the road, but Williams is going to be a stud.
There was talk of Benn being a first rounder before the struggling senior season. He was definitely productive and he's obviously NFL talented. So is Mike Williams.Theres really no reason why both can't be productive in the future.

Benn also had Juice Williams problems most of his career :shrug:
There was talk of Benn being a first rounder before the struggling senior season. He was definitely productive and he's obviously NFL talented. So is Mike Williams.Theres really no reason why both can't be productive in the future.
I agree 100%. When I said Benn is being overrated because of where he was drafted, I'm referring to people that think he is going to going to have a bigger season than Williams, just because he was drafted earlier. I think both players have very bright futures. But I just think that Williams will be better, and will make a bigger impact this year. I think by the end of 2010 Benn will be starting, or at least be the 3rd WR.I think Williams is going to be a Chad Johnson type player and Benn will be more like Anquan Boldin. I absolutely didn't mean to put Benn down when I said overrated. I was just simply referring to how people view him compared to Williams.

Played golf with Olson for a few days. As the other guy said above, he loves Williams. Not real impressed with Benn and didn't mention Sammie.

Mike Williams has the opportunity to have a Michael Clayton type rookie year. All reports are positive on this guy. I think he may be the steal of the draft. I could see him talked about as ROY.

All abord the Mike Williams train.

Mike Williams has the opportunity to have a Michael Clayton type rookie year. All reports are positive on this guy. I think he may be the steal of the draft. I could see him talked about as ROY.All abord the Mike Williams train.
I am sort of surprised at the hype surrounding Mike Williams. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good prospect and I know he was projecting as a first round talent and fell due to the character issues and him quitting on the team in Syracuse. But from some of the posts about Williams here in the SP, a lot of people are expecting big things from him as a rookie. I just find that excitement very interesting.Of the rookie WRs, it seems that Dez Bryant and Mike Williams, followed by Dexter McLuster, seem to be generating the most buzz.

Everything I've been hearing out of TB thus far has been glowing about Mike Williams. It seems as if his game is fairly NFL ready, and I think he might end up being the steal of a lot of drafts.

I watched the KC-Tampa game and had never seen Mike Williams. I'm leaving watching that game thinking he might be a major play at his ADP. His numbers from this game may not be eyepopping, but it's pretty clear that he is going to be the easily most targeted receiver on this team. They were moving him around, lined up outside, on the inside in two WR to one side sets, in the slot. He was targeted alot. Johnson replaced Freeman early, and wasn't always pinpoint. In addition to his catches, he also had one that didn't count on the sideline where Johnson overthrew it high and wide, and he made a great adjustment but just missed getting the foot in.

I didn't notice Benn at all. Stroughter was starting alongside.

Coupled with the reports all camp, and what I saw tonight, I'm bumping Williams into draftable high end WR4/low end WR3 range with upside, and he looks like the rookie with the combination of talent and opportunity this year that will surprise.

I watched the KC-Tampa game and had never seen Mike Williams. I'm leaving watching that game thinking he might be a major play at his ADP. His numbers from this game may not be eyepopping, but it's pretty clear that he is going to be the easily most targeted receiver on this team. They were moving him around, lined up outside, on the inside in two WR to one side sets, in the slot. He was targeted alot. Johnson replaced Freeman early, and wasn't always pinpoint. In addition to his catches, he also had one that didn't count on the sideline where Johnson overthrew it high and wide, and he made a great adjustment but just missed getting the foot in. I didn't notice Benn at all. Stroughter was starting alongside.Coupled with the reports all camp, and what I saw tonight, I'm bumping Williams into draftable high end WR4/low end WR3 range with upside, and he looks like the rookie with the combination of talent and opportunity this year that will surprise.
The cat is already out of the bag and has been for a few weeks :thumbup:

What are your production estimates for this guy ? I am thinking 75/1000/10 . Typical wr1 numbers on a mediocre offense, but great ff wr3 numbers.
That is certainly what I am hoping from him as my WR4 to start the season, until Santonio Holmes is back. Although 10 TDs might be a bit high...6-8 TDs is more realistic.

What are your production estimates for this guy ? I am thinking 75/1000/10 . Typical wr1 numbers on a mediocre offense, but great ff wr3 numbers.
That is certainly what I am hoping from him as my WR4 to start the season, until Santonio Holmes is back. Although 10 TDs might be a bit high...6-8 TDs is more realistic.
Possibly, but somebody has to catch TD passes.
It's possible that they won't have many TD passes. Oh yeah, and Kellen Winslow is still on the team.

Possibly, but somebody has to catch TD passes.
It's possible that they won't have many TD passes. Oh yeah, and Kellen Winslow is still on the team.
He can have some too. I will allow it.

Users who are viewing this thread