What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steve Smith, WR, New York Giants (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Steve Smith, WR, New York Giants

Player Page Link: Steve Smith Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :goodposting: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great route runner, one of the best in the league. Eli Manning trusts Steve Smith and knows right where he's going to be, especially on 3rd downs. If you give Eli Manning time, Steve Smith will kill you as you just can't stay with him that long. There is some concern that he's got 2 other young receivers on the team but the Giants should be passing a lot this season and Smith will be fantasy gold in PPR leagues.

96 receptions for 1105 yards and 7 td's

A great route runner, one of the best in the league. Eli Manning trusts Steve Smith and knows right where he's going to be, especially on 3rd downs. If you give Eli Manning time, Steve Smith will kill you as you just can't stay with him that long. There is some concern that he's got 2 other young receivers on the team but the Giants should be passing a lot this season and Smith will be fantasy gold in PPR leagues.96 receptions for 1105 yards and 7 td's
Wow, I was going to post almost the exact same thoughts down to even the statistical projection. 95 receptions for 1200 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Steve Smith NYG will be gold again in PPR leagues. He's the most reliable target for Eli, Nicks's emergence will help Smith get more room to operate. Smith's upside will be diminished somewhat with Nicks expecting decent amount of TD receptions. But it does seem that NYG will throw it more often than the past, so that should ensure a solid year for SS. Great #2 WR.

92 rec, 1085 yds, 7 TD

Steve Smith posted 107 - 1,220 - 7 last year on 159 targets(3rd most targeted WR in the league behind Andre and R White)

With pretty much all of the same pieces in place for 2010, I expect much of the same from Steve Smith this year. I think Nicks might emerge as a nice redzone target and get more overall targets than he did last season(75), so I think Smith's targets may go down some, but I think coverages will have to account for Nicks more, so I think that will open things up for Smith to operate in the middle of the field. So I don't expect Smith's number of receptions to drop all that much.

90 - 1,030 yards - 7

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump

I was looking at a VBD spreadsheet for some keeper leagues and in one, I own Smith. I just noticed his very low ranking. Without giving away subscriber material, he is close to being out of the top 32. Is there something Im missing here. My league scoring is nothing special. PPR and normal performance scoring. Is it because of his potential injury? Just trying to make some sense of it here and not sure if anyone else saw this....

BumpI was looking at a VBD spreadsheet for some keeper leagues and in one, I own Smith. I just noticed his very low ranking. Without giving away subscriber material, he is close to being out of the top 32. Is there something Im missing here. My league scoring is nothing special. PPR and normal performance scoring. Is it because of his potential injury? Just trying to make some sense of it here and not sure if anyone else saw this....
I haven't seen him that low. But I do think there are reasons to be careful of Smith. I'm not sure that the Giants will throw quite as much this year or that Smith will get almost 160 targets again. Also, Nicks should continue to emerge and will cut into Smith's production. They're different sorts of players, but still. It seemed that Eli had a tendency to lock on to Smith at times, and while that worked for Smith owners, it wasn't great for the Giants. I think they'll spread the ball more. Lastly, for the amazing year that Smith had, he only went over 80 yards in a game once after Week 4. I don't think he'll be a bust but I don't think his ceiling is high and he's especially dangerous in non-PPR leagues.

BumpI was looking at a VBD spreadsheet for some keeper leagues and in one, I own Smith. I just noticed his very low ranking. Without giving away subscriber material, he is close to being out of the top 32. Is there something Im missing here. My league scoring is nothing special. PPR and normal performance scoring. Is it because of his potential injury? Just trying to make some sense of it here and not sure if anyone else saw this....
I haven't seen him that low. But I do think there are reasons to be careful of Smith. I'm not sure that the Giants will throw quite as much this year or that Smith will get almost 160 targets again. Also, Nicks should continue to emerge and will cut into Smith's production. They're different sorts of players, but still. It seemed that Eli had a tendency to lock on to Smith at times, and while that worked for Smith owners, it wasn't great for the Giants. I think they'll spread the ball more. Lastly, for the amazing year that Smith had, he only went over 80 yards in a game once after Week 4. I don't think he'll be a bust but I don't think his ceiling is high and he's especially dangerous in non-PPR leagues.
Fair enough. I have him pegged as top 15 potential and this caught me by surprise. Wasnt aware of the stat after week 4 though. Interesting. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread