What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sidney Rice, WR, Minnesota Vikings (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Sidney Rice, WR, Minnesota Vikings

Player Page Link: Sidney Rice Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :goodposting: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Ever hear how WR break out their 3rd year? Well, that was Sidney Rice last year - While his TD''s only went from 4-8, , he managed to snag 83 rcpt, up from 15.

Assuming Farve comes back, have to put his minimum at about the same - 80 rcpt, 1300 yards, 8 td. I don't see a lot of variable in the numbers, with the exception I could see TD's up to 10 on the same other stats.

Biggest threat to that? No Farve, cut his stats 30% without the big man. 2nd Biggest threat, Percy Harvin improving on his outstanding year 1 - I think it is 50-50 that Percy has a better year than Sidney this year. I would still draft based on the 80/1300/8 td, but I would be a little worried about Harvin

Extremely tough to gauge because of the qb situation.

I think his floor with whoever is throwing the ball is 75 rec, 1100, 8 tds. Absolute lowest of the low stats he would produce. With Farve and the chemistry they developed late in the year he could push for #1.

One of the best young receivers in the league. I saw him make some catches against Dallas that I had to blink because I thought I was watching Larry Fitzgerald. Not knowing if Farve is back for sure is good for Rice owners because right now you can get him a little cheaper than what you can get him for when Farve is officially back, which he will be.

82 receptions for 1100 yards and 9 tds

One of the best young receivers in the league. I saw him make some catches against Dallas that I had to blink because I thought I was watching Larry Fitzgerald. Not knowing if Farve is back for sure is good for Rice owners because right now you can get him a little cheaper than what you can get him for when Farve is officially back, which he will be.82 receptions for 1100 yards and 9 tds
:goodposting: But I don't see him coming at any kind of discounted rate over such an unlikely scenario.

One of the best young receivers in the league. I saw him make some catches against Dallas that I had to blink because I thought I was watching Larry Fitzgerald. Not knowing if Farve is back for sure is good for Rice owners because right now you can get him a little cheaper than what you can get him for when Farve is officially back, which he will be.82 receptions for 1100 yards and 9 tds
:popcorn: He destroyed the Cowboys, who have 3 good corners. When the ball is air, it is his. Don't ask questions.

Extremely tough to gauge because of the qb situation.

I think his floor with whoever is throwing the ball is 75 rec, 1100, 8 tds. Absolute lowest of the low stats he would produce. With Farve and the chemistry they developed late in the year he could push for #1.
That's pretty optimistic as a "floor" for Rice...I could see several scenarios where Rice's floor is way below that. Favre isn't a lock to come back..if he's not back, that definitely hurts Rice. Harvin could be a potentially big drain on Rice even though they're way different players. And let's not forget about one Bernard Berrian either..this guy was putting up some pretty decent stats, he was just hurt most of the season last year..he'll be back this year. So while I like Rice's prospects for this year a lot IF Favre comes back, Berrian/Harvin could be potential drains on Rice. That being said, I would put my numbers for Rice somewhere around this..with room on the upside and the downside..70 - 1,050 - 8 ... (15.0 YPC)

Rice posted 83 - 1,312 - 8 (15.81 YPC) last season .. so I'm projecting a little bit of a downturn in his number of receptions and a 15.0 YPC vs 15.81 YPC.

I do think Rice's TD numbers will be good no matter what because like others have said, the guy goes and gets that football when it's in the air.

Loved Rice going into last season. Drafted/and traded for him in every league I could when he was a rookie. He is a freak and just needed to time to

1) develop his young frame

2) learn the finer points of route running in the pro game

3) Get a QB

Check off all 3 things. He is now a beast. And I consider him an elite player. The only "X" factor is obvious. So if Favre is back (and I think that is a 90% chance at this point) then:

85 receptions 1275 yards 11 TD's

A cornerstone of any dynasty squad.

Rice's value hinges on Favre's return. My projection assumes Favre is under center. If Favre retire, I see MIN going to a heavy run first attack where Rice's upside would be severely limited.

80 rec, 1150 yds, 9 TD

What people somehow fail to remember about Rice is he had a pretty decent rookie year, didn't put up huge numbers but he did have 31 rec, 4 tds and nearly 400 yds, not bad for a rookie. As a Vikings fan I remember watching him and thinking he is going to be very good. Then in his second season he was hampered by injuries that began in training camp and was never fully healthy... fine by me since I took the opportunity to acquire him in every league I could ( all but one ). He has excellent character and work ethic, he goes to Fitzgeralds WR camp every year to learn from Fitz and Chris Carter. I also heard he talks to Carter regularly to try to improve his game.

Then last year he gets to play with Favre as his QB! I know it's been said that Favre helps no one but that is absolutely untrue. Many of the Vikings said Favre has helped them including TJax. Rice emerged as a huge threat at WR in large part due to Favre but Favre was not the only reason he emerged. Do I think he'll be better if Favre is the QB this year? Heck yeah! Do I think he'll fall into obscurity without him? HECK NO!

The Dallas game has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Can't remember who the DB was on the long TD but he said he didn't even know Rice had the ball until he was in the end zone!? I remember the play vividly and Rice was perfect on the play, didn't look until the last minute, barely moved his arms (The throw was perfect) and the DB had zero chance of stopping it, heck he didn't even know the ball was coming lol!

That was not the only play last year where Rice made fantastic plays. I remember a few of plays where he flat out out jumped the defender, went over a defenders back or became unbelievably wide open.

I may be biased as a Vikings fan but he has a very bright future ahead of him and barring injury I don't think he has anything less than 1100 yards and 8 tds on 70 receptions and that is the floor no matter who the QB is, TJax, Sage or Favre. He could easily be the #1 WR this year with Favre. I think 1600 yards and 14 tds on 100 receptions is not out of his reach although Peterson and Harvin do cut into his chances of achieving monster numbers. If the Vikings FINALLY go out and get a good young QB next year everyone who owns him will be smiling all the way to the bank!

I think Favre definately helped Rice reach his potential. While he helped Rice, I think Rice helped Favre look good as well. Is it coincidence that Favre had his best year? Rice had to make several spectacular catches on poorly thrown balls. Catches that most Wrs would not have made. Favre definately helps Rice but his absence doesn't negate his value as much as some think. The guy is a stud Wr who will make sure he gets his catches with great route running, outstanding leaping ability, great quickness and deceptive speed. On top of that you add in his great work ethic and positive attitude and you got a guy who will be around for a long time.

Rice isn't a typical NFL WR Diva.

I like his potential and it certainly is better with Favre than T Jax.

I would think he can do the same as last year for total points.

Rice proved last year that he belongs is the discussion of elite WRs. We all know what elite WRs do when there is a competent QB at the helm (See Fitz with Warner, Marshall with Cutler, Moss with Brady, Rice with Favre). What is less clear is what elite WRs do when there is a not-so-competent QB at the helm. Fitz will explore this territory with Leinart this year, and Marshall explored it last year with Orton (although Orton proved to be just fine for Marshall's production). I think that with Favre, we can expect slightly better than last year as he continues to develop, something like 85 1300 and 9. Without Favre, I think the YPC and TDs come down, but receptions may go up, with total yardage staying similar (see Marshall last year). Something like 95 1300 and 7.

I believe that Sidney Rice's 2009 season was more about his abilities than Favre's. I continue to read where his value is tied to whether Favre will play or not. I believe that Rice is a top ten WR regardless of the Viking QB. I think that his value in 2010 would grow by leaps and bounds if Favre did retire as his ADP would drop like a stone, but his skill would remain and the Vikings would remain explosive offensively.

Sidney Rice had a solid rookie season grabbing 31 passes on 53 targets for 396 yards and 4 TDs. He only played in thirteen games and had four games with three or less targets. His 08 season was terrible as he was frequently injured and had only 31 targets, but he still scored 4 TDs.

Last year, he was simply sensational. i did not get an opportunity to watch many Viking games, but every time I watched them play, he made outstanding plays. I recall an onsides kick recovery that he lept well above all to make the catch. It seems he has outstanding timing instincts as well as leaping ability.

In 09, he had 122 targets and 84 receptions, almost 69% reception rate and also averaged 15.8 ypc with 8 TDs. I see his TDs going up as he is an outstanding red zone target. I think he is a value pick currently at ADP of WR 12 and 32 overall, but his value would increase if Favre retires, probably dropping him down to WR 20 or so.

Sidney Rice 16 gms 130 targets 86 catches 66.1% 1324 yards 15.4 ypc and 10 TDs

I agree that Rice had a breakout year more because of him than Favre. I dont like any WR with Tavaris as a QB, but i doubt it will ever come down to that. Rice is a mega talent, and will produce with any QB. I look for him to have another top 10 season, maybe even break into the top 5 in 2010.

84 rec., 1303 yards, 11 TD's

Anytime a receiver jumps from 15 receptions, 141 yards and four touchdowns to 83 catches, 1,312 yards and eight touchdowns -- there has to be questions about his ability to replicate the performance. In 2009, Brett Favre arguably had the best statistical season of his career, and whether he returns or not, my gut tells me there will be some regression in Rice's statistical output. Also, Rice, a slender 6-4, 202 pounds, has had durability issues in the past.

In other words, I like Rice better as a No. 2 fantasy receiver than a No. 1 option.

- Projections with a 40-year-old Favre starting: 79 receptions, 1,129 yards and eight touchdowns.

- Projections with Tarvaris Jackson starting: 68 receptions, 931 yards and six touchdowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anytime a receiver jumps from 15 receptions, 141 yards and four touchdowns to 83 catches, 1,312 yards and eight touchdowns -- there has to be questions about his ability to replicate the performance. In 2009, Brett Favre arguably had the best statistical season of his career, and whether he returns or not, my gut tells me there will be some regression in Rice's statistical output. Also, Rice, a slender 6-4, 202 pounds, has had durability issues in the past. In other words, I like Rice better as a No. 2 fantasy receiver than a No. 1 option. - Projections with a 40-year-old Favre starting: 79 receptions, 1,129 yards and eight touchdowns. - Projections with Tarvaris Jackson starting: 68 receptions, 931 yards and six touchdowns.
That 6'4" 202 was when he was drafted.. He has since muscled up and even in this last off-season he has reportedly put on 8-10 lbs of muscle.He was fitzgerald-esque last year and looked the part.

Anytime a receiver jumps from 15 receptions, 141 yards and four touchdowns to 83 catches, 1,312 yards and eight touchdowns -- there has to be questions about his ability to replicate the performance. In 2009, Brett Favre arguably had the best statistical season of his career, and whether he returns or not, my gut tells me there will be some regression in Rice's statistical output. Also, Rice, a slender 6-4, 202 pounds, has had durability issues in the past. In other words, I like Rice better as a No. 2 fantasy receiver than a No. 1 option. - Projections with a 40-year-old Favre starting: 79 receptions, 1,129 yards and eight touchdowns. - Projections with Tarvaris Jackson starting: 68 receptions, 931 yards and six touchdowns.
:mellow: sums it up entirely..during one of Favre's career-best seasons, Rice caught 83,1312yds,8td...chances of Favre repeating last years performance or exceeding it? slim to none..I doubt Favre throws just 7 ints in 2010, or posts numbers close to his TD and yardage totals from 2009..that means Rice should regress somewhat..your prediction of 79 recs is right on the money... :thumbup: still a great WR to have, a solid #2, low-end #1...but at these numbers, he'll be selected way too early in many fantasy drafts

I think now that Farve is back, you will see Sidney stepping up his efforts to get back on the practice field. He's playing for a contract and I think he'll have a fine season.

Don't overlook the real possibility that Minny has to lean on him more with Percy's health issues. You can bump up a now healthy Berrian as well.

I have 1st pick, I'm looking to pick a wr at the 2/3 turn, these are the guys im looking at in order

WR 6= White

WR 7=Marshall

WR 8= Rice

WR 9= Jennings

WR 10= D jackson

There is a strong possibility Rice is on my team, he didnt even really play first few weeks of 09 and i wouldn't be surprised if he was top 3 ahead of Fitz and Calvin. I love tall redzone WR and its looking like Harvin make not be a big factor.

90 1300 9 td's....solid #1 wR

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the last 16 games of last season Rice had 89 rec, 1450 yards and 12 TD's.

Taking him in the 3rd round is the kind of pick that wins you fantasy leagues.

I have 1st pick, I'm looking to pick a wr at the 2/3 turn, these are the guys im looking at in orderWR 6= WhiteWR 7=MarshallWR 8= RiceWR 9= JenningsWR 10= D jacksonThere is a strong possibility Rice is on my team, he didnt even really play first few weeks of 09 and i wouldn't be surprised if he was top 3 ahead of Fitz and Calvin. I love tall redzone WR and its looking like Harvin make not be a big factor.90 1300 9 td's....solid #1 wR
I doubt seriously that White or Marshall will be there. I love Jennings this year and think Djackson is in for a letdown based on his ADP. If Rice is not hurt, and that is what nobody really knows now, then he is your best bet. Whats everyone going to do if he doesnt play in any preseason games? My big draft is next weekend and I have a feeling I am just going to take Rice off my draft sheet unless he falls to a ridiculous spot. I think you are asking for trouble if you know he is hurt, know he is not playing, know the hip isnt responding and you draft him anyway.

All of this is meaningless without more information about the hip injury. Last I heard he was unable to cut without signifcant pain.

NOT GOOD.

All of this is meaningless without more information about the hip injury. Last I heard he was unable to cut without signifcant pain.NOT GOOD.
Last I heard the hip is progressing.
Thats kindof my point. Nobody knows what is going on and he hasnt played yet (or practiced as far as I can tell) so the risk/reward is just a touch high for my tastes.
Seems like an odd way of holding out. Has anyone done this before? You know he got hurt and he elected not for surgery so I think this is a bit of a conspiracy angle. Now that I think about it I really dont believe it.

KFFL) Minnesota Vikings WR Sidney Rice (hip) said he is not sure if he will be ready for Week 1 because of his hip injury, reports 1500ESPN.com's Tom Pelissero.

Rice felt some pain in his hip while working on out on Friday and now says it's "up in the air" if he'll be ready for Week 1, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.Spin: Rice's outlook had improved with Brett Favre set to return, but this looks like a major setback in terms of his fantasy value since he may now miss games.

Rice felt some pain in his hip while working on out on Friday and now says it's "up in the air" if he'll be ready for Week 1, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.Spin: Rice's outlook had improved with Brett Favre set to return, but this looks like a major setback in terms of his fantasy value since he may now miss games.
I've pulled the trigger a couple times on this guy already, one in a free league another not. You win some and lose some, I thought he'd be ready for the opener but I'm done gambling on this particular situation. I don't like Minnesota's preseason whatsoever, way to much crap going on with the big name players. If S. Rice isn't himself this year, that's horrible news for Brett Farve and the entire Viking offense. That guy came up huge down the stretch and if he's not there winning those jump balls Farve throws up, this season Brett Farve will WISH he would have stayed retired this time, trust me.

I think now that Farve is back, you will see Sidney stepping up his efforts to get back on the practice field. He's playing for a contract and I think he'll have a fine season.Don't overlook the real possibility that Minny has to lean on him more with Percy's health issues. You can bump up a now healthy Berrian as well.
With the recent news of a setback, I now retract everything I said. Whether he's jerking the Minnesota chain or not over his contract status, I'm not buying him before the 4th round. Somebody else will and I'll be alright with that. Too risky at this point.

I concur--this situation is mystifying and perplexing since he hurt the hip in January! The trainers/doctors that looked at him seemed to drop the ball on this one...by the way, is it a degenerative hip issue or something?

You would be insane to draft him on your roster before you solidified the other WR spots. You cannot project him to start and if he does sometime down the road then it could be a win for you. Just seems uber sketchy right now.

You would be insane to draft him on your roster before you solidified the other WR spots. You cannot project him to start and if he does sometime down the road then it could be a win for you. Just seems uber sketchy right now.
I am beginning to think that Rice is taking a page from the Brett Favre playbook. Use the injury as a reason to not take any practice licks or preseason game licks. I would not be at all surprised he milks this thing til the last preseason game and all of a sudden be good to go for the opener.

I am beginning to think that Rice is taking a page from the Brett Favre playbook. Use the injury as a reason to not take any practice licks or preseason game licks. I would not be at all surprised he milks this thing til the last preseason game and all of a sudden be good to go for the opener.
The problem with that is the risk. You are gambling that he is "faking" but most of the ff drafts are starting now. That is a huge gamble to pick him at his adp (3 round) when he isnt practicing and has stated he might not be able to go by the opener. So when will he be 100% this year if at all. There is no way I would pick him before the 6th. Some crazy drafter will pick him high and gamble. Maybe he will win or maybe he will lose but that is no way to start out your fantasy year.

What round did you draft him?

The problem with that is the risk. You are gambling that he is "faking" but most of the ff drafts are starting now. That is a huge gamble to pick him at his adp (3 round) when he isnt practicing and has stated he might not be able to go by the opener. So when will he be 100% this year if at all. There is no way I would pick him before the 6th. Some crazy drafter will pick him high and gamble. Maybe he will win or maybe he will lose but that is no way to start out your fantasy year.
Sure... I probably wouldn't count on him as my WR1 - but his upside given his ADP now is pretty good IMO. I have been oen of the people here championing him from the beginning, and I LOVE his talent... but the injuries scare me, as they did with the knee from the beginning. There have been rumors that he is not rushing back due to contract situation, and I can kind of buy into that given his salary and the reaction from Cris Carter et al about him missing the camp - suggesting that there was more to it than just the injury. It may be somewhat of a "hold out" in that sense...

I heard a rumor he had surgery today and might be out all year.

but I can't find anything anywhere other than this random source.

Users who are viewing this thread