What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Gates, TE, San Diego Chargers (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Antonio Gates, TE, San Diego Chargers

Player Page Link: Antonio Gates Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :goodposting: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

If Vincent Jackson does indeed hold out then Gates will absolutely become the focal point of the passing game. In 2009 he was targeted 109 times versus 99 times for VJax. I could easily see that number climbing to 150+ targets in 2010 with a holdout.

96 receptions, 1248 yards 13.0ypc 11 TDs

1,1,1,2,4,3.....those numbers represent where Antonio Gates has finished in fantasy football in the tight end position. He is the definition of consistency and when you have drafted Antonio Gates in the past 6 years, he wasn't the reason why your team didn't win your fantasy championship.

Phillip Rivers has turned into one of the best passing QB's in the league. Although Vincent Jackson may have become more of a passing threat the last couple of years in San Diego, it's still more of a 1A and 1B between Gates and Jackson. San Diego has a very favorable passing matchup against opposing defenses this year and Gates will terrorize these defenses with his size and ability to wear down defenses. Gates will again finish among the elite TEs in fantasy football.

74 receptions for 1089 yards and 8 td's

I'm diggin' the idea of him getting a bunch of targets that would have gone to VJax, but any concerns about his foot?
I too worry about the foot. It's the one thing that could hold him back from a monster year. VJAX out means a huge uptick in production if he can stay healthy. But here is why I like Gates as TE #1 this year. Contract year = :goodposting: He is a stud and he sees that AJ playes hardball with contracts. He knows he'll break the bank after this year. I think Gates is actually underrated this year.

Antonio Gates has averaged seven targets per game and 4.5 catches per game in the four orevious seasons, all with Philip Rivers as his QB. Entering 2010, the Chargers should be without V Jackson for a few games suspension and could be without him for a considerably longer period, if he holds out. I think that some of the V Jackson targets will shift to Gates and look for him to have one of his best seasons in a while. When you consider that he has already finished as the top TE (in FBG non-ppr scoing) three seasons and fourth or better three more years, that is pretty good.

He has also increased his catch percentage in every season with Rivers. In 06, it was only 60%, but in the three years since has risen to 64%, 65%, and finally 69% in 09. That also is a nice trend to combine with additional targets.

He is just so reliable and such a red zone factor, that he is a valuable asset to hold on fantasy teams. His current ADP is the only concern. You have to be sold on Gates having the capability of being the top TE, because he is being drafted as TE #2 at 41 overall, behind only Dallas Clark.

Antonio Gates 16 gms 130 targets 88 catches 67.7% 1188 yards 13.5 ypc and 8 TDs

Users who are viewing this thread