What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donald Driver, WR, Green Bay Packers (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2010 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Donald Driver, WR, Green Bay Packers

Player Page Link: Donald Driver Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :goodposting: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Donald Driver is still a staple in the Green Bay offense when the chips are on the line but Driver is slowing down and I expect a dip in his overall numbers after having surgery to his knees in the offseason. He's a good player to have on your football team, but fantasy wise I'm going to let to pass this year unless everyone else in the draft is thinking the same thing I am, that there are just too many young talented players fighting for the ball on GB for him to have solid fantasy numbers.

55 receptions for 4 td's

Driver has been undervalued for several straight years in most ff leagues, and the trend will continue. I project DD has having good #2 WR numbers available as a #3 WR in most PPR drafts. All indications from OTA, local papers and appearances (softball tournies and the like) show DD to be in fine shape. and a lot of drive left. Still has the best hands on the team, the most concentration, best routes. All indications are knees are in better shape than last year

70 rcpt, 1,000 yards, 5td as the base, with little variablity - low will be 60 rcpt/4td, high will be 80rect 7td. He will not disapoint at his adp

Driver has been undervalued for several straight years in most ff leagues, and the trend will continue. I project DD has having good #2 WR numbers available as a #3 WR in most PPR drafts. All indications from OTA, local papers and appearances (softball tournies and the like) show DD to be in fine shape. and a lot of drive left. Still has the best hands on the team, the most concentration, best routes. All indications are knees are in better shape than last year70 rcpt, 1,000 yards, 5td as the base, with little variablity - low will be 60 rcpt/4td, high will be 80rect 7td. He will not disapoint at his adp
2 years ago his numbers were inconsistent, last year he was terrific after working with Rodgers more, but went down late in the year with Finley more a target.2 knee surgeries are a concern but he says he feels great. I love the guy but this is a real question mark for me. I will say 1000 yards 6 TD's but am grabbing James Jones on the cheap(ADP 244).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have defended Donald Driver as a savvy "value" pick for what seems like each of the last five years. :thumbup: While I could certainly make the same exact case for him in 2010, I don't think I'm going to. I have him WR28 right now and his ADP is WR24, so it's about on par with what I expect of him this year. The Packers passing offense is so prolific now, and there are so many other weapons that can, and should, be a part of the equation, that I can no longer simply pencil in Driver for a boatload of targets that would justify taking him as your WR2. I'm certainly not smart enough to peer into a crystal ball and decide which year he (or any other player) falls off the proverbial cliff, but at 35 years old, coming off knee surgery, in an offense chock full of dynamic young weapons that could easily step in for him (and probably should as the franchise builds toward the future), I'm no longer going to actively target him in drafts. There are a number of other WRs going at what I deem ridiculously low ADPs that I would much rather round out my WR corps with for this season.

I think it all depends on the O-line. Last year AR was under a lot of pressure and did not always have the time to go deep to Jennings so we say quite a few passes go towards Driver. If the O-line improves, I would expect Drivers numbers to drop.

55 Receptions, 800 Yards & 4 TDs

Driver has been undervalued for several straight years in most ff leagues, and the trend will continue. I project DD has having good #2 WR numbers available as a #3 WR in most PPR drafts. All indications from OTA, local papers and appearances (softball tournies and the like) show DD to be in fine shape. and a lot of drive left. Still has the best hands on the team, the most concentration, best routes. All indications are knees are in better shape than last year70 rcpt, 1,000 yards, 5td as the base, with little variablity - low will be 60 rcpt/4td, high will be 80rect 7td. He will not disapoint at his adp
2 years ago his numbers were inconsistent, last year he was terrific after working with Rodgers more, but went down late in the year with Finley more a target.2 knee surgeries are a concern but he says he feels great. I love the guy but this is a real question mark for me. I will say 1000 yards 6 TD's but am grabbing James Jones on the cheap(ADP 244).
Last six years84/1208/985/1221/592/1295/882/1048/274/1012/570/1061/6Last two years has been impacted by the emergence of Jennings becoming the long ball hitter. I still don't see Jones/Nelson having a significant impact unless there is an injury. Personally, I am targeting him once 30 WR are off the board. I expect him to be available in most drafts at that point. (not sure where Jason is getting that 24 adp currently, not been my experience)

Users who are viewing this thread