What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Broncos Training Camp 2010 (1 Viewer)

Cecil Lammey

Footballguy
Follow The Audible on Twitter for the updates during camp! http://twitter.com/theaudible

I'll write up reports at night which collect my observations.

I'll be on the air from 8-11a on 87.7 The Ticket on Sunday!

If you're going to practice make sure to get to Dove Valley early because the fire marshall has capped the number of people allowed at 3,000.

:deadhorse:

what battles are you most interested in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are Orton's targets going? Looks like Royal might be the early favorite to get the most, but are Thomas, Gaffney, Decker, Stokley, the ball boy, the head trainer, etc. . . getting significant leftovers from the departure of Marshall and Scheffler?Thanks in advance for these reports. They've always been great in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the Achilles heel down the stretch last year was the interior OL. I want to hear how the new draftees are faring. Everyone and their mother will be focusing on Tebow and how the rookie WR's progress, but this team will live and/or die based on two guards and a center. Right now I believe it's Beatles, Wanton, and Kuper (LG, C, RG, respectively), but I could be wrong

In town with the family for the week and going to watch camp in the AM. I might have to go a few times this week, we are only 5min down the road... Should be a good time....

The trade of J.J. Arrington has many people speculating that Brian Westbrook is coming to town. But I want to know if there are any backs at the bottom of the depth chart that made Arrington expendable - namely Toney Baker. Any word on the type of impression he's making with the coaching staff/teammates?

The crowd already loves Tebow. Orton's first pass in drills today was a dropped interception by Dawkins and the crowd went wild, yelling for a substituion to be made immediately. Guys in the crowd were yelling at other guys in the crowd saying how they were Florida fans so they loved Tebow more. There seemed to be about 25% more people at camp for opening day vs last year and there were reporters walking up and down the entry line asking fans why they loved Tebow.

It got to be quite a bit of Tebow overkill for my group. There were several hundred Tebow jersey there and I saw a total of one Orton jersey. There were even 2 Plummer jerseys there. Zero love for Brady Quinn.

Forgot to add that Tebow carried Orton's pads today and Demaryius Thomas carried Brandon Lloyd's pads. :sleep:

finally getting some notes up on Twitter, crazy busy time here...

http://twitter.com/theaudible

Jabar Gaffney difficult to jam at the line of scrimmage, even getting open against Champ Bailey, best WR on team by far

Jabar Gaffney looks great, long TD on 9 route today, stretched out for pass, kept his balance as he crossed the goalline

finally seeing fire/attitude from OLB Robert Ayers, stuffing the run, playing with more aggression, very vocal ;)

TE Nathan Overbay showing strong hands, knows how to find soft spot in defense, a reliable low-risk player who could make 53

good work, but JGreen gets my vote there RT @Skotty_Payne: @TheAudible do you think Ryan McBean is the best DL-Men?

seen some drops from TE Marquez Branson, but overall surprised by his development, athletic, willing over the middle

rookie CB Perrish Cox is biting on everything, gets burned a lot, made a big INT today tho, gambler w/gr8 athleticism, KR/PR

Jarvis Green has been making plays, very disruptive, savvy veteran who knows how to use leverage, nose for the ball too

defensive line was dominating the offensive line today, no laps for the offense (like yesterday) but a big concern for DEN

CB Alphonso Smith seems more comfortable out there, making plays in 1-on-1 drills, better in man than zone coverage

positives for Bay Bay, big, fast, leaping ability negatives = hands, concentration, routes HIGH upside but lots of work 2 do

want to see more aggression from Thomas when the ball is in the air, he expects it to come to him instead of going after it

Demaryius Thomas had to run a lap after another lazy route, this time over the middle, went thru his hands & was intercepted

Thomas was covered by Bailey, and didn't run through out properly, Orton put it on the right spot but Bay Bay wasn't there

rookie WR Demaryius Thomas seems a little lazy on his routes, cussed a little by Orton after out route where he stopped

Decker has good size and is very smooth on the field, big upside as a productive #2 receiver in the near future

Decker has good body control, spun to catch a pass from Tebow, turns upfield immediately, aggressive after the catch

WR Eric Decker looks great, hard to jam at LOS, gets into route quickly, fearless over the middle, great hands, routes, feet

Ball makes his living inside the tackles, not creative or elusive, slipped down today when trying 2 cut back 2 hole

Lance Ball has made some plays throughout camp, big run up the middle today, gets low keeps legs driving upon contact

Baker has good size, instincts, footwork - runs with a good pad level and has the agility to take one step and chg direction

Baker missed all of the 2008 season, was part of a RBBC with #Giants 2nd yr back Andre Brown before that

Toney Baker was the 7th best RB coming out of hs, injuries/inconsistencies marred his college career at NC State

Kolby Smith leads the pack because of his experience, but avg ability doesn't inspire, I like Toney Baker

not much running room for the RBs today, Kolby Smith fumbled the ball in 9on7s - instinctive, a bit of power, but avg skills

Arlic Arnett looking smooth running routes but still too skinny IMHO, saw him at the Shrine Game this year too

Lloyd was no match for Champ Bailey tho, can beat lesser corners but can't breathe with Champ all over him

of course Orton has gr8 chemistry with Brandon Lloyd, tip toed the sideline today on deep out, always hits him in stride

love seeing a guy like Willis compete for a roster spot when he's on the roster bubble

Willis has been making some plays, hauling in big passes, fooling Perrish Cox on routes (not hard to do) but is buried on dc

WR Matthew Willis getting rave reviews all over, but feels a little like Triandos Luke hype am I the only 1 who thinks that?

another note on Bruce Hall, like his balance, takes a shot and doesn't lose his feet

RB Bruce Hall also drawing praise from the coaches, knows how to pick and step through the hole, avg spd/quicks tho

Eddie Royal had a great spin move to get open, showing good burst off the line of scrimmage, working well as the slot guy

Eddie Royal has been looking much better in camp, fierce when the ball is in his hands, drops very few passes, sharp routes

Quinn is making very few plays out there IMHO, doesn't seem overwhelmed, but certainly not as comfortable as Orton

both Orton and Quinn have smooth throwing motion, comes out of their hands hot and clean, very natural release, hi point

Orton throwing with more velocity and decisiveness this year, deep passes still sailing a little tho

Orton is a dcnt QB who looks/feels more comfortable in this system, 2nd year in and should not lock onto a WR since no BMars

feel sorry for Orton because Tebow throws it in the dirt & crowd goes nuts, Orton throws TD and reaction is not as big

Orton has been his usual solid, yet unspectacular self, he's the best QB on the roster right now, Quinn is no threat

overall Tebow looked better than I thought he would, saw him at practice in Mobile 4 Senior Bowl & he looked rough, bad week

Tebow may not be ready to challenge Quinn but they'll find ways to get him on the field, can u say 'Wild Horses!'

no hitting the QB, but Tebow better learn how to slide and 'know his numbers' run over the guys wearing 20s, slide 4 others

Tebow is very fast at field level and surprises some defenders in the open field, understands angles of pursuit

Tebow doesn't want to make a mistake, yet does not let his routes fully progress IMHO, takes off to run too soon

Tebow's timing is off with his receivers, will throw late/behind them on a lot of routes, sometimes they slow down to catch

tebow did a jump pass today! oof, reminded me of some of his throws from Florida, did it to get pass over defender & it wrkd

Tebow did show good mechanics and zip when throwing off the play action, would fake/plant, turn then fire, very fast

looks to me like Tebow is still thinking about the motion and trying to aim his passes instead of just throwing them

Tebow's throwing motion still has a slight hitch in it, he'll draw back, stop for a micro second then follow thru

Tebow has good arm strength, but passes regularly flutter, needs to tighten up his spirals

I know what people have recently been saying about Eddie Royal but my money is on Jabar Gaffney. If he stays healthy and as long as Orton stays QB, he could make for a very nice WR2 and very solid WR3.

I know what people have recently been saying about Eddie Royal but my money is on Jabar Gaffney. If he stays healthy and as long as Orton stays QB, he could make for a very nice WR2 and very solid WR3.
See, I was thinking the same thing and picked Gaffney in a few early redrafts. But now I'm leaning toward Royal, although not convincingly.I think there's a lot of WR points to be had in 12-team PPR redrafts now that Marshall and Scheffler aren't in Denver. I'm just trying to figure out where they'll come from and these reports might help.

Ball makes his living inside the tackles, not creative or elusive, slipped down today when trying 2 cut back 2 holeLance Ball has made some plays throughout camp, big run up the middle today, gets low keeps legs driving upon contactBaker has good size, instincts, footwork - runs with a good pad level and has the agility to take one step and chg directionBaker missed all of the 2008 season, was part of a RBBC with #Giants 2nd yr back Andre Brown before thatToney Baker was the 7th best RB coming out of hs, injuries/inconsistencies marred his college career at NC StateKolby Smith leads the pack because of his experience, but avg ability doesn't inspire, I like Toney Bakernot much running room for the RBs today, Kolby Smith fumbled the ball in 9on7s - instinctive, a bit of power, but avg skills
Baker has been sitting on one of my deep squads for just those reasons - glad you're seeing it too ---nice stuff! Glad to hear Decker is looking like he never got hurt...

finally getting some notes up on Twitter, crazy busy time here...

http://twitter.com/theaudible

rookie CB Perrish Cox is biting on everything, gets burned a lot, made a big INT today tho, gambler w/gr8 athleticism, KR/PR
RT @michaelombardi: Leaving Denver. Broncos more physical this year and much better on defense. Parish Cox was extremely impressive wowGuess he liked Cox's athleticism, too. That or he liked the glossy plays and ignored the biting on everything and frequent toastings.

Cecil,

In your opinion, are the Broncos practices overly physical? Are they not doing enough stretching, relative to other practices/camps you've been to? Do you feel that it's appropriate to blame the coaching for the recent bunch of injuries?

Users who are viewing this thread