What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bradshaw vs. Jacobs (1 Viewer)

TheLastDispatch

Footballguy
With the news in today's daily update that Jacobs has his burst back and is looking like a "different player" along with Coughlin's decision that they will use all RBs, who is the back to have here?

My initial thought that Coughlin saying they'll use all RBs was just coach speak, but as I'm a pick away from taking Bradshaw in my slow draft, I wanted to get the brain trust's thoughts on this.

This is one of those "I think they both have value" things. Depends on scoring - Jacobs probably gets you more TD's, Bradshaw might end up w/ more receptions and more yards.

If you take Jacobs, you could be pleasantly surprised, or hugely disappointed. If you take Bradshaw, you could be hugely surprised, or mildly disappointed.

I think that they both have value. Bradshaw has more long term value. Jacobs is better bet in TD scoring leagues and Bradshaw is likely more valuable in PPR.

This one is yet to play out, and I think the most important part of the equation here is injury. Word from camp is both are looking pretty solid. I also believe the Giants defense will be significantly better, which helps both backs and especially Jacobs if he performs well, thus getting a lot of late game "wear them down" carries.

That said, both these guys get dinged a lot. The best solution to that is to have both backs on your roster, in which case you (1) have a startable #3 RB every week with a chance that one of them separates to become a viable #2 and (2) if/when one of these guys goes down, you have a true #2 with an outside shot at #1 production.

If your draft is sooner rather than later, you may be able to pull this off - but I feel both will start to climb in drafts shortly, which may make grabbing both not a wise move in terms of draft strategy. But, if you can secure both, you have security in the ability to have at least a solid #3 every week with minor upside if one of them takes off, and big upside if that happens in conjunction to the other being injured.

As long as both backs are healthy I think the carries will be split pretty even, maybe 60-40 favoring Bradshaw, but so far from the camp reports I don't expect Bradshaw to get as many looks as Tiki did when Jacobs was first with the team. I could see their carries being switched from last season during this one, Bradshaw had 163 and Jacobs 224 last year. The defense has been dominating the line in camp, making it difficult for either back to flat out take the #1 job.

Training camp reports:

BRADSHAW

August 2, 2010 – Morning Practice

HB Ahmad Bradshaw his number was called five or six times and he ran with power. On one run he must have cut five different times. My only question is whether he has regained his full speed. ~BBI contributor Marty

LB Jonathan Goff responded to a challenge from defensive coordinator Perry Fewell to crank up the intensity by making a stop at the line on RB Ahmad Bradshaw. DT Jay Alford followed by shooting the gap to make a stop in the backfield. ~ Mike Garafolo

August 3, 2010 – Morning Practice

HB Ahmad Bradshaw rather than HB Brandon Jacobs took the first handoff in the 11 on 11s, and he ran down the left sideline with more speed than in the earlier practices. That is a good sign. ~BBI contributor Marty

August 5, 2010 – Evening Practice

Ahmad Bradshaw looks like he has no trouble cutting and he seems to cut multiple times on every run. ~BBI contributor Marty

Ahmad Bradshaw (yes, I put him in the starter category because he's taking all of the first reps with the starters, it seems) continues to look like his rookie self. He went off left edge and moved well, changing direction a few times. ~ Mike Garafolo

August 7, 2010 – Morning Practice

Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw split the reps with the first team. Earlier today head coach Tom Coughlin had been asked if there was anything to the fact that Bradshaw, and not Jacobs, had been receiving the first snaps of the running drills in 11-on-11. “See, you guys are all hung up on that stuff. All I want are healthy bodies and depth. They’ll all be utilized and as you know, there are a lot of games to play.” ~ Inside Football

There's DE Mathias Kiwanuka in run support again, blowing up a pitch left for RB Ahmad Bradshaw. ~ Mike Garafolo

Ahmad Bradshaw is the starting running back. The first play of virtually every team period begins with a handoff to Bradshaw. When counting up the rushing attempts, Bradshaw probably has three times as many as Brandon Jacobs, who it is generally assumed is the No. 1 running back. This cannot be explained away as merely keeping Jacobs fresh because he’s coming off knee surgery. Bradshaw is coming off three separate surgeries, as screws were inserted to stabilize the fifth metatarsal bones on the outside of both feet and bone spurs were removed from his right ankle. ~ Paul Schwartz, NY Post

August 10, 2010 – Morning Practice

LB Clint Sintim stuffed RB Ahmad Bradshaw for a loss. ~ Inside Football

LB Jonathan Goff played downhill to make a stop on RB Ahmad Bradshaw on a shotgun draw in the backfield. He did it again later on. And again. Three stops for a loss for Goff this morning. Good session for him. ~ Mike Garafolo

JACOBS

August 2, 2010 – Morning Practice

Brandon Jacobs caught the pass that was thrown to him and he seemed to be running with speed and power. On one run up the left sideline, after about twenty or twenty-five yards, he made a nice cut to his right to avoid a defensive back. ~BBI contributor Marty

Brandon Jacobs showed a nice little burst at the end of a reception when he turned and ran for additional yardage. Jacobs ran most of his plays away from where I was standing so it was hard to gauge how well he was cutting and planting on that surgically repaired knee. ~ Inside Football

August 2, 2010 – Afternoon Practice

Jacobs, on a couple of runs he looked a tad tentative in approaching the line of scrimmage, though once he burst through a crease, he shifted into that next gear and picked up significant yardage. ~ Inside Football

In the 7 on 7s, Brandon Jacobs ran down the right sideline and made a fluid waist high catch while in full stride of an Eli Manning toss. ~BBI contributor Marty

Brandon Jacobs, who traditionally has received the first snap on running plays until this camp at least -- that honor has been going to Ahmad Bradshaw -- didn't look as explosive with his first step he ran into a pile and didn't lower his shoulder until it was literally too late.~ Inside Football

RB Gartrell Johnson had a drop on a wheel route. Might have been looking upfield too soon. ~ Mike Garafolo

August 3, 2010 – Evening Practice

Brandon Jacobs took full advantage of a big hole and then shifted into his downhill gear as he plowed his way down the field along the near sideline. At times Jacobs still looks like he’s ##### footing a bit, as he approaches the line – that could be because he’s waiting for something to open up, but when he lowers his shoulders, look out. ~ Inside Football

August 4, 2010 – Evening Practice

Andre Brown showed terrific burst on a stretch play he decided to take outside the DE. No problems for him and his Achilles so far. ~ Mike Garafolo

August 5, 2010 – Morning Practice

HB Brandon Jacobs continues to run with speed and he caught both of the passes that I saw thrown to him. ~BBI contributor Marty

Brandon Jacobs looked pretty good tonight. ~ Mike Garafolo

Brandon Jacobs makes a catch and has no drops during a practice. Jacobs even cut back when his path was blocked at the line of scrimmage on a hand off from Eli. ~BBI contributor Marty

Rookie attack! DE Jason Pierre-Paul and DT Linval Joseph each registered stops in the backfield. Joseph took on an equally sizeable foe in Brandon Jacobs. Joseph then was rewarded on his next stop with a smaller foe, RB Andre Brown, whom he wrestled to the ground easily. ~ Inside Football

August 10, 2010 – Evening Practice

Brandon Jacobs took a handoff off left tackle in 9-on-7 running drills and cut right when he saw LB Clint Sintim fill the hole. Jacobs stayed low and dipped his hips - just like he's trying to do this year. Great cut. No wasted movement and very explosive. ~ Mike Garafolo

LB Jonathan Goff tried to shoot the gap instead of coming over the top (LB Phillip Dillard told me about a similar dilemma for him recently) but didn't get there. RB Brandon Jacobs was able to get off the edge and upfield. ~ Mike Garafolo

WARE, BROWN, JOHNSON

August 2, 2010 - Morning Practice

It looks like both HB Andre Brown and HB Danny Ware are at full speed. They each caught a pass and they ran well. I was surprised and delighted to see Andre Brown run and cut as if he had never ruptured his Achilles tendon. ~BBI contributor Marty

HB Gartrell Johnson, was apparently stung by yesterday’s “rigor mortis” comment by Coach Coughlin. He ran hard. On his first carry he did not stop at the 40 but ran an additional 60 yards down to the goal line. ~BBI contributor Marty

Andre Brown looks healthy after a torn Achilles ended his season in camp last year. He ran a great wheel route this morning. The Giants could use a pass-catching threat out of the backfield. ~ Mike Garafolo

August 2, 2010 – Afternoon Practice

HB Andre Brown continues to run and catch looking no different than he did last year prior to his injury. Amazing. ~BBI contributor Marty

Gartrell is a very hard runner, but at this point he is not as good a receiver as Andre Brown, D.J. Ware, or Ahmad Bradshaw. ~BBI contributor Marty

August 5, 2010 – Morning Practice

HB D.J. Ware, HB Gartrell Johnson, and HB Andre Brown got to carry the ball, too. Ware has power, speed, and elusiveness. Gartrell is about as fast and powerful as Ware, but not as elusive. I’ll wait a while before I comment on Andre Brown other than to say that he is a reliable receiver. ~BBI contributor Marty

I continue to be impressed by HB D.J. Ware’s speed and power. ~BBI contributor Marty

D.J. Ware continues to get a lot of reps both running and receiving and I can’t wait to see how he does in a real game. However, he did get chewed out by a coach for running in the wrong direction on a play. ~BBI contributor Marty

Andre Brown is showing zero signs of favoring his leg as he ran with a fine blend of power and speed. ~ Inside Football

Your daily dose of Pierre-Paul’s promising upside: he made a tremendously quick move to loop inside of OL Jacob Bender for a stop on RB D.J. Ware. On the next play, he bull rushed (TE) Pascoe into the RB's path. One thing I’ve noticed, however, is he seems to “catch” the blocker sometimes when he gets tired instead of getting his arms extended and using that incredible reach of his. ~ Mike Garafolo

Manningham had S Antrel Rolle sized up on a quick screen, but Rolle used a sweet spin move to avoid Manningham and make the stop on RB D.J. Ware. ~ Mike Garafolo

August 10, 2010 – Morning Practice

RB André Brown showed a nice little burst of speed getting past LB Keith Bulluck in seven-on-seven drills. ~ Inside Football

Mathias Kiwanuka stuffs RB DJ Ware for a loss. ~ Inside Football

Gartrell Johnson elicited groans from the crowd with a dropped ball on a quick out. ~ Mike Garafolo

LB Bryan Kehl came free on a blitz (RB Gartrell Johnson's fault?) and, in a real game, would have flattened QB Rhett Bomar for a sack. ~ Mike Garafolo

DE Osi Umenyiora ot a tremendous jump off the ball, flew past LT William Beatty (before you blame Beatty, I'm telling you it wouldn't have mattered if Jonathan Ogden or Orlando Pace in their prime were lined up there; Umenyiora was GONE as soon as the ball was snapped) and got to Sorgi as he tried to hand the ball to RB Andre Brown. Umenyiora could have taken that handoff if he wanted. ~ Mike Garafolo

D.J. Ware dropped a ball on a short cross that was right in his chest. ~ Mike Garafolo

Last edited by a moderator:
ha, in no way do i wish injury on anyone, but when you've been holding bradshaw for a few years waiting for him to take over, you tend to read things in a certain way, so this morning when i read "jacobs has burst back" i read it as he somehow injured his back - actually brought it up to a guy in my league and he couldn't figure out why i was bringing it up - hit me right then and i played it off, been laughing about it all day

I think I love bradshaw at right about 60% of the touches - sounds like he looks strong and quick and should provide some great games here and there, for a RB3/4 that's all id expect

ha, in no way do i wish injury on anyone, but when you've been holding bradshaw for a few years waiting for him to take over, you tend to read things in a certain way, so this morning when i read "jacobs has burst back" i read it as he somehow injured his back - actually brought it up to a guy in my league and he couldn't figure out why i was bringing it up - hit me right then and i played it off, been laughing about it all day I think I love bradshaw at right about 60% of the touches - sounds like he looks strong and quick and should provide some great games here and there, for a RB3/4 that's all id expect
I thought the same thing....Wow that must have hurt.

I really think you can't read into any of the mumbo jumbo being said. It's a full blown RBBC and it won't matter who "starts". When they are both healthy, they both bring a different dynamic to the table. The Giants don't rely on any one guy. This isn't news.

This coming from a hopeful but realistic Bradshaw owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that every season there's a guy that the fantasy community turns its collective back on. They're old, they're always hurt, the new guy is better, etc.

I love Bradshaw and he's the better talent, but Jacobs could be that guy that surprises this year.

Users who are viewing this thread