#1 Clifford

Clifford

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,824 posts
  • Joined 30-July 10

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

I just had a thread deleted containing observations about the NE-ATL game, something I did not see anywhere on the first two pages of threads. I tried multiple searches for this game and was told that my search terms were too short (why on earth would that be a permissions requirement??) and searching for NE-ATL game returned no results. If you're going to remove threads because they're Hondas, link to the existing thread since the search function on this site simply does not work. Or, improve the search function. I know for a fact I am not the first poster to complain about this. Also a little tired of being a paying customer here and getting treated like I am an unwanted guest. end :lmao:

Like most things I don't understand I wanted to punch its face.
-Binky the Doormat

Your constant hyperbole is ridiculous. You're to the FFA what Hitler was to Europe.
-Dr. Awesome

Some people learn by words, some people learn by consequences, some people can’t learn.
-Nick Saban

No one here seems to get its okay to be racist against white people

-johnjohn

#2 Aaron Rudnicki

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 75,680 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03
  • Interests:Bills and Sabres fan

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

Search function actually works great, IMO. Don't take things like this personally. It's better for everyone if discussions are kept together in the same thread.

#3 Clifford

Clifford

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,824 posts
  • Joined 30-July 10

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

Really, I just tried to search for Bills vs Colts and couldn't. How is that great? I'm not complaining just to complain. Having a non-functioning search function on your site, especially when you expect people to use it and rely on it, is really unacceptable. Google provides a site-search for free. It would take all of 2 hours to implement. Again, if you expect people to use and the search "Bills vs Colts" returns an error, it doesn't work.

-Binky the Doormat

Your constant hyperbole is ridiculous. You're to the FFA what Hitler was to Europe.
-Dr. Awesome

Some people learn by words, some people learn by consequences, some people can’t learn.
-Nick Saban

-johnjohn

#4 Detroitgodfather

Detroitgodfather

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 05-August 10

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

:lmao: both of the games from yesterday have had a thread going strong on page 1 since game time. you gotta look!!!!

#5 AhrnCityPahnder

AhrnCityPahnder

Yinz-o-riffic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,108 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:• ghouls
    • magnets
    • milksteak

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

It works fine. You're just not good at it.

Search Shark Pool forum, thread titles only, last 7 days, "Bills"

http://forums.footba.....ghlite=+Bills

Edited by AhrnCityPahnder, 20 August 2010 - 08:21 AM.

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ PLEASE KILL ME

#6 tooski

tooski

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 26-July 07

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

Agree with Clifford. Aaron, exactly what should be typed into the search function for results on the New england vs Atlanta game?

#7 Nagle2998

Nagle2998

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 606 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

If it says that it is to long and you would have just put in Bills it would have came up on your first page. I really have no idea what your complaining about it I mean it even told you it was to long if you didn't know to just put in one team after that I think your more to blame then the site.

#8 V1LL

V1LL

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

I'm with this dude.....tried searching for Norton's "eyes of the guru" articles.....nothing. This place puts an emphasis on "We have over 500 million pages of content!" What good are they if you can't find the articles you need quickly and efficiently? seems a simple fix with all the money this place is raking in.....FIX IT!! Vill

I just had a thread deleted containing observations about the NE-ATL game, something I did not see anywhere on the first two pages of threads. I tried multiple searches for this game and was told that my search terms were too short (why on earth would that be a permissions requirement??) and searching for NE-ATL game returned no results. If you're going to remove threads because they're Hondas, link to the existing thread since the search function on this site simply does not work. Or, improve the search function. I know for a fact I am not the first poster to complain about this. Also a little tired of being a paying customer here and getting treated like I am an unwanted guest. end :lmao:

We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further

Dawkins

#9 Lord Fantasy

Lord Fantasy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 652 posts
  • Joined 31-October 08

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

Solution: 1. Searchers try a little harder. 2. Forum police be a little more forgiving.

#10 Aaron Rudnicki

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 75,680 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Agree with Clifford. Aaron, exactly what should be typed into the search function for results on the New england vs Atlanta game?

#11 Clifford

Clifford

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,824 posts
  • Joined 30-July 10

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Guys, it is 2010, not 2001. IF you have to ask anything at all about how it works, it doesn't work! People have a slightly higher standard for intuitive functions these days. If you can make an iPhone app, you can add a decent search function to this forum.

-Binky the Doormat

-Dr. Awesome

-Nick Saban

-johnjohn

#12 TheBradyBunch

TheBradyBunch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 522 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

I don't really understand the 3 character limit the search function has. For instance, if I search "Ray Rice", the search will end in an error automatically because of his 3 letter first name. So, I end up searching "Rice" and having to sift through tons of threads related to Sidney. I'm not complaining, but since the OP raised the question, it was just something I noticed recently.

#13 Aaron Rudnicki

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 75,680 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

I'm with this dude.....tried searching for Norton's "eyes of the guru" articles.....nothing. This place puts an emphasis on "We have over 500 million pages of content!" What good are they if you can't find the articles you need quickly and efficiently? seems a simple fix with all the money this place is raking in.....FIX IT!! Vill

All free articles for the website are logged at www.todayinfantasy.com All pay articles will soon be logged and searchable at footballguys as well. You'll be able to search by author, topic, keywords, players, etc. We are currently in the process of populating the database right now.

#14 Bob Magaw

Bob Magaw

Footballguy

• Pip
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03
  • Interests:Connective patterns in nature, science and art, actor Larry Storch's body of work

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

using a word like vs yielded the error message... try it with just bills colts next time... "One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."
"The universe speaks in patterns." (paraphrase of Heraclitus) - Roger Von Oech 

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

"Winning is our business." - Bill Parcells  

#15 Kool-Aid Larry

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,662 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

in a case like this, you know that the relevant game threads are recent, and you can see the date of last posts, so I suggest searching the old fashioned way -- with your eyeballs.

skimming the first page I can find this thread on pats/falcons

http://forums.footba...howtopic=548718
OH YEAH!

#16 bonesman

bonesman

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Joined 17-October 04

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

Yup Your query has to be at least 4 characters long. What bugs me about the search is the flood control! :stirspot:

#17 joffer

joffer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,817 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:i collect spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

Education on the value of free speech and the other freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights, about what happens when you dont have them, and about how to exercise and protect them, should be an essential prerequisite for being an American citizenor indeed a citizen of any nation, the more so to the degree that such rights remain unprotected. If we cant think for ourselves, if were unwilling to question authority, then were just putty in the hands of those in power. But if the citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us. In every country, we should be teaching our children the scientific method and the reasons for a Bill of Rights. With it comes a certain decency, humility and community spirit. In the demon-haunted world that we inhabit by virtue of being human, this may be all that stands between us and the enveloping darkness.

- Carl Sagan

#18 Aaron Rudnicki

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 75,680 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

you can use the + sign to combine search terms and only pull up threads that include all words.

for example, searching the following: +bills +colts

gives you this: http://forums.footba.....Bbills +colts

3rd non-pinned thread is Colts/Bills preseason week 2 discussion thread

#19 Northbound Train

Northbound Train

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 701 posts
  • Joined 24-July 08

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

Guys, it is 2010, not 2001. IF you have to ask anything at all about how it works, it doesn't work! People have a slightly higher standard for intuitive functions these days. If you can make an iPhone app, you can add a decent search function to this forum.

:stirspot: Not a fan of the search feature either...

#20 ookook

ookook

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,927 posts
  • Joined 12-June 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

I agree that the search engine is archaic and dysfunctional.

#21 Clifford

Clifford

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,824 posts
  • Joined 30-July 10

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

You know the only thing I've found that really works?

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

That could be on your site in about 2 hours. Probably way less if you have someone that has done it before.

-Binky the Doormat

-Dr. Awesome

-Nick Saban

-johnjohn

#22 Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 469 posts
  • Joined 30-August 04

:stirspot:

Clifford> :lmao:
oh hells yea!

#23 Aaron Rudnicki

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 75,680 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

if the search function already works very well for most users (which it does, IMO) wouldn't it be much easier to just help the people having problems with it learn how to use it better? there are limitations involved here given how active this message board is. I believe adding in the capability for 2 and 3-letter word searches and removing flood control could slow the board down considerably.

#24 Exit 1

Exit 1

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,079 posts
  • Joined 03-April 08

The 3 letter rule on searches is megatarded.
The demographics of this place don't match up with me. I'm not some guy who married my high school sweetheart. I don't have a boring job with benefits that puts food on the table for my family. I didn't buy a house is some #### hole suburb where my neighbors house is 3 feet from mine. I'm 35 and I look like I'm 25. I'm still in shape, I have a full head of hair unlike most of you. I'm not fat. I don't eat buffalo wings twice a week. I don't own a pair of Zubas. I can and do score chicks that most of you would not have any chance of sleeping with....ever. This isn't shtick. It's my life. It's funny but at the height of my drug use I had beautiful women giving my their numbers. I was asked out constantly. And then most of you get to go home to your wives who havent slept with you in months. She's overweight and unhappy. She complains constantly and you secretly despise her. But you stay and let her boss you around. You're miserable but you're doing it for the children.

#25 bonesman

bonesman

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Joined 17-October 04

I don't really understand the 3 character limit the search function has. For instance, if I search "Ray Rice", the search will end in an error automatically because of his 3 letter first name. So, I end up searching "Rice" and having to sift through tons of threads related to Sidney. I'm not complaining, but since the OP raised the question, it was just something I noticed recently.

Just search Rice Ravens then :thumbup: I don't get the limit either but I haven't found it very limiting.

#26 fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,646 posts
  • Joined 01-August 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

Why can't the search function work with 3 letter words? I don't understand this.

Thanks for the update, I was just wondering how your team was doing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#27 Gopher State

Gopher State

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,242 posts
  • Joined 25-July 04

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

I aways found the search function to work really well. No problems with it, I don't know what the issue is here.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, ’Wow, what a ride’.”

#28 Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 469 posts
  • Joined 30-August 04

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

Why can't the search function work with 3 letter words? I don't understand this.

It probably taxes the database significantly more using a 3 character query. It has to parse through much more information. :thumbup:
oh hells yea!

#29 PosterNutBag

PosterNutBag

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Joined 28-September 04

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

i agree the search function on this website doesn't work very well try searching on this: +rice -sidney can someone explain to me why there is a Sidney Rice thread on the first page of results when I specifically asked it to exclude posts with Sidney?

#30 Clifford

Clifford

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,824 posts
  • Joined 30-July 10

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

if the search function already works very well for most users (which it does, IMO) wouldn't it be much easier to just help the people having problems with it learn how to use it better?

First off, I am obviously not the only person who thinks it sucks. This thread has gotten a lot of negatives from people other than me concerning search. So saying it works well is not really examining the situation. Second, you have a paying customer raising a problem. This is not the way to react to it. When a customer points out a flaw and other customers chime in, you should look into it, instead of immediately dismissing it. Third, if you have to learn to use it it's broken. The web is supposed to be about easy, intuitive interfaces that require no explanation. Site searches should be the easiest thing to use about your site. As this thread has proven it's obviously not close to that. Fourth, Google has this figured out. They provide site-searches for free and even give you instructions for installing it. And it's worth pointing out they delivered the right thread, top result, even when I used a search term three characters or under. Fifth: Even if you don't want to replace it, I think it's fairly obvious that getting rid of the nonsensical and confusing three-char limit would make a lot of sense, especially given that searching for three character terms is going to be fairly natural for most people (ALT, NE, vs, Ray, etc)

-Binky the Doormat

-Dr. Awesome

-Nick Saban

-johnjohn

#31 Kool-Aid Larry

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,662 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

well, I just assumed you would be able to put in 'ray rice', or "ray rice", or something like that, so I checked it out ----
I clicked on 'search'
then 'more search options'
then right under the search field I spotted a link they had put there for easy spotting for those who needed help 'ADVANCED USAGE HELP', so I clicked it and learned the following:
"Some Words" Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'

which means you need to enter "ray rice"!!

I think the bottom line is that you're just the kind of person who wastes a ton of time because you have a Frequently Asked Question, but refuses to read the FAQ, or any type of help file.

dude, you gotta take a little responsibility for yourself at some point in your life.
OH YEAH!

#32 Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 469 posts
  • Joined 30-August 04

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

I think the bottom line is that you're just the kind of person who wastes a ton of time because you have a Frequently Asked Question, but refuses to read the FAQ, or any type of help file.

dude, you gotta take a little responsibility for yourself at some point in your life.

/thread
oh hells yea!

#33 Mark Wimer

Mark Wimer

Footballguy

• Pip
  • 5,111 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

Search function actually works great, IMO. Don't take things like this personally. It's better for everyone if discussions are kept together in the same thread.

:thumbup: If we allow everyone who doesn't bother to look for an active thread to start a new thread on the same topic, the Shark Pool would rapidly become totally useless and unreadable. Nothing personal, we just have to ask everyone to utilize existing threads that cover whatever questions people may have. There is 0% reason to start a new topic about "What did you see on the NE/ATL or BUF/IND games?" when there are already two 40+ reply threads on that EXACT topic. MW

#34 Clifford

Clifford

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,824 posts
  • Joined 30-July 10

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

well, I just assumed you would be able to put in 'ray rice', or "ray rice", or something like that, so I checked it out ----
I clicked on 'search'
then right under the search field I spotted a link they had put there for easy spotting for those who needed help 'ADVANCED USAGE HELP', so I clicked it and learned the following:
"Some Words" Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'

I just did exactly what you said and got an error. Fact is if you have to explain it's broken! Ever wonder why Microsoft is sucking wind and Apple is taking over the world? Because Apple got this one simple concept and Microsoft never could.

-Binky the Doormat

-Dr. Awesome

-Nick Saban

-johnjohn

#35 Kool-Aid Larry

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,662 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

i agree the search function on this website doesn't work very well try searching on this: +rice -sidney can someone explain to me why there is a Sidney Rice thread on the first page of results when I specifically asked it to exclude posts with Sidney?

yes, because you didn't specifically ask it to exclude posts with sydney --- it can't read your mind. you people are killin' me.
OH YEAH!

#36 Clifford

Clifford

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,824 posts
  • Joined 30-July 10

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

:thumbup: If we allow everyone who doesn't bother to look for an active thread to start a new thread on the same topic, the Shark Pool would rapidly become totally useless and unreadable. Nothing personal, we just have to ask everyone to utilize existing threads that cover whatever questions people may have. There is 0% reason to start a new topic about "What did you see on the NE/ATL or BUF/IND games?" when there are already two 40+ reply threads on that EXACT topic. MW

No offense taken. The bigger issue here is teaching a man to fish, and fixing a search function that requires a users manual would be a great first step. Well, we've been moved to FFA, so obviously nothing is ever going to be done about this. I'm going to go see if I can't get my subscription refunded. This is ridiculous.

Edited by Clifford, 20 August 2010 - 08:47 AM.

-Binky the Doormat

-Dr. Awesome

-Nick Saban

-johnjohn

#37 Jene Bramel

Jene Bramel

Footballguy

• Pip
  • 17,311 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

You can search for three letter words. There is a google site specific search at the bottom of the advanced search window. You'll still need to use the + term to search for multiple phrases, but three letter searches are supported.

#38 nysportsfan

nysportsfan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,548 posts
  • Joined 18-March 10

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

Search function works, but not that well. Flood control, three letters, plus too many quotes in a reply are annoying. I've managed because I know how to use it after time, but it's frustrating to new users at the minimum.

#39 Steve Tasker

Steve Tasker

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36,740 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

You know the only thing I've found that really works?

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

That could be on your site in about 2 hours. Probably way less if you have someone that has done it before.

Shark Tip:

1. Scroll up to top of page
2. Click on "Search" in the top right corner - a small dialog box will open
3. Click on "More Search Options" in the bottom right corner of the small dialog box
4. Scroll down to bottom of the expanded search page - find a line titled "Search The Footballguys Forums With Google - Allows Searches For Words With <3 Letters - Opens In New Window"
5. Type query in the Google box
6. ???
7. Profit

:thumbup: hth

The entire state is a bunch of racist rednecks with piles of Negroes in their attics

Fans link

#40 ClownCausedChaos

ClownCausedChaos

I ain't got time to bleed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,269 posts
  • Joined 09-June 04
  • Location:In the booth, in the back, in the corner, in the dark

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Searching "+blah +blah +blah +whaaaaa" bring this thread right to the top. Seems like its working fine to me.
Now, the question for you
Is not what would Jesus do,
But where will you be when the Craig Machine
Comes partyin' through

#41 Aaron Rudnicki

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 75,680 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

First off, I am obviously not the only person who thinks it sucks. This thread has gotten a lot of negatives from people other than me concerning search. So saying it works well is not really examining the situation. Second, you have a paying customer raising a problem. This is not the way to react to it. When a customer points out a flaw and other customers chime in, you should look into it, instead of immediately dismissing it. Third, if you have to learn to use it it's broken. The web is supposed to be about easy, intuitive interfaces that require no explanation. Site searches should be the easiest thing to use about your site. As this thread has proven it's obviously not close to that. Fourth, Google has this figured out. They provide site-searches for free and even give you instructions for installing it. And it's worth pointing out they delivered the right thread, top result, even when I used a search term three characters or under. Fifth: Even if you don't want to replace it, I think it's fairly obvious that getting rid of the nonsensical and confusing three-char limit would make a lot of sense, especially given that searching for three character terms is going to be fairly natural for most people (ALT, NE, vs, Ray, etc)

#1 Didn't say you were the only one. It's a common complaint, but if you take a little extra time with your search and know how to use the search function, you can almost always find what you are looking for very quickly. #2 Of course we take these complaints under consideration. If there's a way to improve the search function, why wouldn't we do it? I'm sure our tech guy Keith Overton is aware of all the issues involved and could explain them much much better than I could. You could probably start a thread in the website support forum as I'm guessing this thread won't last on page 1 very long. #3 I guess we disagree on this point. #4 A google search box is provided on the search page to help with 3-letter terms. #5 Sure, it makes sense to allow them and I'm sure everyone would agree with that. But, this ignores how much larger the database would have to be if we wanted it to store every 3-letter word typed on these message boards. It's a matter of priorities. Most people want a board that works well, pages that load quickly, etc. Having a perfect search function would be awesome too, but not if adding it means that the entire board is going to slow down and ruin the message board experience for 99% of the users. As I said, there are limitations here and Keith is really the best person to discuss them with. EDIT: this thread got moved while I was responding. The FFA isn't a good fit. I'll move it to the Support forum.

#42 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61,321 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

I'd say "same as day one" but on day one a search would have been much easier.
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#43 Shtaym Syek

Shtaym Syek

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,513 posts
  • Joined 28-January 07

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

:rolleyes: If we allow everyone who doesn't bother to look for an active thread to start a new thread on the same topic, the Shark Pool would rapidly become totally useless and unreadable. Nothing personal, we just have to ask everyone to utilize existing threads that cover whatever questions people may have. There is 0% reason to start a new topic about "What did you see on the NE/ATL or BUF/IND games?" when there are already two 40+ reply threads on that EXACT topic. MW

Become?

This ####'s too crazy for Glenn Beck and Jan Brewer. Think about that.

#44 PosterNutBag

PosterNutBag

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Joined 28-September 04

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

i agree the search function on this website doesn't work very well

try searching on this: +rice -sidney

can someone explain to me why there is a Sidney Rice thread on the first page of results when I specifically asked it to exclude posts with Sidney?

yes, because you didn't specifically ask it to exclude posts with sydney --- it can't read your mind.

you people are killin' me.

please elaborate since it is apparently extra obvious based on your strong language

my search according to this page should have worked to include posts with "Rice" but without "Sidney"

but somehow, this thread appeared in my search results

#45 Holy Schneikes

Holy Schneikes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,780 posts
  • Joined 23-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

The three letter limitation has been discussed a lot. It's probably there just to minimize the massive returns that could result from very small search terms (thus speeding up the board in general for everyone). Also, while it is probably fairly configurable, this board is a 3rd party application that FBG did not write. They have somewhat limited ability to modify the way it works. All that said, I have bombed out the board search tool COUNTLESS times myself (despite knowing about it from previous issues and working with this kind of software for a living) with short search terms (like PPR, or RB, or WR, or QB, or SD or Ben or...). Short search terms just seem to be VERY common in this environment and it DEFINITELY makes the basic board search nearly useless sometimes. Educating the users is AN answer, but not the best one by far. I've seen many a development firm go under using that as the primary method of solving problems with poorly implemented application functionality. Yeah, you can get it to work, but as others have mentioned, if you have to struggle to find appropriate search terms to find what you are looking for, it ain't making the grade as a first rate tool. Now let me make an about face one more time. The little unadvertised google-based search form BELOW the standard board form is actually MUCH more useful in many cases. There is no 3 or 4 letter search term requirement, there is no flood control, it returns in a format we are all familiar with, and it is very very responsive . It does have some limitations, but it is better than the basic search IMO. I would actually suggest somehow incorporating THAT search engine vs the board engine as the default option wherever possible.

#46 billyjohnson

billyjohnson

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 24-July 09

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

Search function actually works great, IMO.

Don't take things like this personally. It's better for everyone if discussions are kept together in the same thread.

Yeah, and my grandmother's dial-up internet moves at the speed of light. (insert guzzling kool-aid emoticon)

Bill

12 Team (non-ppr)
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, Flex, K, Def

#47 Holy Schneikes

Holy Schneikes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,780 posts
  • Joined 23-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

Moving this thread just compounds the problem. Yes, it is the appropriate forum, but realistically, no one is going to see it. Or maybe that's what you had in mind.

#48 Aaron Rudnicki

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 75,680 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

please elaborate since it is apparently extra obvious based on your strong language

my search according to this page should have worked to include posts with "Rice" but without "Sidney"

but somehow, this thread appeared in my search results

if you are searching the entire thread, I believe it just looks for single posts that include the word Rice and don't include the word Sidney.

So post #4 in that thread would qualify:

One of the best young receivers in the league. I saw him make some catches against Dallas that I had to blink because I thought I was watching Larry Fitzgerald. Not knowing if Farve is back for sure is good for Rice owners because right now you can get him a little cheaper than what you can get him for when Farve is officially back, which he will be.

82 receptions for 1100 yards and 9 tds

Unless you go into the advanced search options page and tell it to "show results as posts", the default is to just show the entire thread.

#49 Kool-Aid Larry

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,662 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

I clicked on 'search'

I just did exactly what you said and got an error. Fact is if you have to explain it's broken! Ever wonder why Microsoft is sucking wind and Apple is taking over the world? Because Apple got this one simple concept and Microsoft never could.

well, I get a result --- sounds like a user problem.
I wouldn't be beating anyone up for not getting a simple concept if I were you, just sayin'.

maybe your computer is broken --- try turning it off.
OH YEAH!

#50 Aaron Rudnicki

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 75,680 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

Moving this thread just compounds the problem. Yes, it is the appropriate forum, but realistically, no one is going to see it. Or maybe that's what you had in mind.

I did not move it out of the Shark Pool, but I did move it here from the FFA. I don't see how this is a bad fit for it. who do you want to see it exactly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users