What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

StL Tightends (1 Viewer)

IVNACATES

Footballguy
Michael Hoomanawanui is listed 3rd on depth chart, but has gotten fair amount of looks in pre-season. I know nothing about Daniel Fells or Billy Bajema. Are they more bolocking TEs, or do they have good receiving skills as well? I know, it's just a TE, but value at any position is still value, and with a young QB, TEs seem to get a few more looks as they check down. I know SJax will be first outlet, but...

I know the guy's got a few TD's and a number of looks in the preseason, but realistically, there's no way a backup TE for the Rams is going to have any value at all this season.

I know, it's just a TE, but value at any position is still value, and with a young QB, TEs seem to get a few more looks as they check down.
You hear this from time to time, but I think this is one of those FFB "urban legends". I can't think of a real-life example of a TE's real-life stats getting vaulted significantly beyond his ADP due to playing with a rookie/young QB. I tend to agree with Happy Ragnarok.

I'll be surprised if any of these guys are startable this season. Just because there's opportunity doesn't mean someone will take advantage. I don't think the veterans on St. Louis have enough talent to thrive and I don't think either of the rookies will be ready to make a consistent impact.

Long term I think Onobun has the potential to develop into a frontline starter. Most of the talk and hype is centered around Hoomanawanui because he just had big preseason game, but I'm not buying it. He was a mediocre college player who only caught 10 passes last season for Illinois. Onobun is a vastly superior athlete and the only player on the roster who could conceivably become a top 5 TE down the road.

i think they are more likely to keep the TE on the field in pass protection for bradford. they need to protect their investment and keeping the TE is one of the best ways to do that.

In 2008 Bradford's #2 receiver and #1 TD scorer was a TE. Perhaps you all have heard of Jermaine Gresham. STL has no confidence in their WR situation, specifically anyone past L.R./Amendola. Their OC comes from a TE friendly offense. I see nothing that prevents the Rams from passing the ball to TEs a lot this season in 2-WR, 2-TE sets. The only problem is that on any given play the blocking TE and receiving TE could be switched up... preseason heroics aside, nobody has a lock on being the #1 receiving TE in STL.

Anyway, I live in St. Louis and the Rams suck. You're desperate to even look at this situation for a TE. (Like I am in one 14-team, 3 RB 3 WR league where Carlson is my only TE but I'm stacked everywhere else).

Doug B said:
IVNACATES said:
I know, it's just a TE, but value at any position is still value, and with a young QB, TEs seem to get a few more looks as they check down.
You hear this from time to time, but I think this is one of those FFB "urban legends". I can't think of a real-life example of a TE's real-life stats getting vaulted significantly beyond his ADP due to playing with a rookie/young QB. I tend to agree with Happy Ragnarok.
I think the opposite is true; rookie QBs tend to lock onto their primary reads, and never get around to checking down.

Deep league, and with the bad OL play, I don't think he'll have time to find a receiver down field. SJax stays healthy (big if) he could have a huge year in ppr because of this, and I thought the TEs may also benefit. I saw the article where Dodd's picked Fells as a possible breakout candidate in mid August, so I thought the position may be worth a late flier.

I didn't mean to sound like I was asking about Hoomanawanui specifically, just the part of StL game I happened to see. Would be curious if Dodds still sees value in this situation.

I'll be surprised if any of these guys are startable this season. Just because there's opportunity doesn't mean someone will take advantage. I don't think the veterans on St. Louis have enough talent to thrive and I don't think either of the rookies will be ready to make a consistent impact.Long term I think Onobun has the potential to develop into a frontline starter. Most of the talk and hype is centered around Hoomanawanui because he just had big preseason game, but I'm not buying it. He was a mediocre college player who only caught 10 passes last season for Illinois. Onobun is a vastly superior athlete and the only player on the roster who could conceivably become a top 5 TE down the road.
I wouldn't read too much into how many receptions Rams TE's caught in college. Onobun only caught 4 last year. Onobun is more of an athlete but he might be too weak for TE and too slow for WR. Hoomanawanui is a great pass catcher. I think Fendi might be the odd man out by the end of the season.

I'm not looking for a possible top 5 necessarily(though it would be nice), just some value. 14 team, draft 2 TE, start 1, PPR. If there is a guy who could end up with decent numbers, who I'm pretty sure will be there for my last pick, it frees me up to take a RB or WR earlier that I see with upside(like E. Graham for ex.), and still get production from my 2nd TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people will be surprised at Daniel Fells. I doubt he's healthy for 16 games but he'll be serviceable for bye weeks or a cheap Te by committee

i had to come in here just to be part of a Stl TE convo....never thought i would run into one haha

i like danny ariola.....quick slot guy......bradford can dump off to him quick.....2 step and chuck

The only thing I wonder about here is whether Steven Jackson upgrades at all especially in PPR?

No top-15 WR and the TE's did not figure in last year's offense, why would they now?

Considering Bradford has looked more than decent this preseason, could Jackson actually a get some decent TD numbers and more receptions?

I'll be surprised if any of these guys are startable this season. Just because there's opportunity doesn't mean someone will take advantage. I don't think the veterans on St. Louis have enough talent to thrive and I don't think either of the rookies will be ready to make a consistent impact.Long term I think Onobun has the potential to develop into a frontline starter. Most of the talk and hype is centered around Hoomanawanui because he just had big preseason game, but I'm not buying it. He was a mediocre college player who only caught 10 passes last season for Illinois. Onobun is a vastly superior athlete and the only player on the roster who could conceivably become a top 5 TE down the road.
I wouldn't read too much into how many receptions Rams TE's caught in college. Onobun only caught 4 last year. Onobun is more of an athlete but he might be too weak for TE and too slow for WR. Hoomanawanui is a great pass catcher. I think Fendi might be the odd man out by the end of the season.
The difference being that Onobun hadn't played football since high school whereas Hoomanwanui had four seasons of development. For football purposes, Onobun was basically a true freshman last season whereas Hoomanawanui was a senior. If a senior is only slightly better than a true freshman, you have to think that the freshman will eventually pass him as he develops with experience. I don't think Hoomanawanui is worth a roster spot in most leagues. 5th round TE with no special physical qualities who didn't produce much in college. No thanks. Onobun might not end up being any better, but at least there's compelling upside.

Users who are viewing this thread