Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,615 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
  • Interests:Breathing

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

Because the Homeowners did not pay the $75 annual Fire Fighting Fee

When I first saw the headline, I thought maybe it would be a fee that was hundreds of dollars, but for $75??!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. - Inigo Montoya

#2 Steve Tasker

Steve Tasker

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36,121 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

As ThinkProgress has noted, there are currently two competing visions of governance in the United States. One, the conservative vision, believes in the on-your-own society, and informs a policy agenda that primarily serves the well off and privileged sectors of the country. The other vision, the progressive one, believes in an American Dream that works for all people, regardless of their racial, religious, or economic background. The conservative vision was on full display last week in Obion County, Tennessee. In this rural section of Tennessee, Gene Cranick’s home caught on fire. As the Cranicks fled their home, their neighbors alerted the county’s firefighters, who soon arrived at the scene. Yet when the firefighters arrived, they refused to put out the fire, saying that the family failed to pay the annual subscription fee to the fire department. Because the county’s fire services for rural residences is based on household subscription fees, the firefighters, fully equipped to help the Cranicks, stood by and watched as the home burned to the ground.

Whew....at least this article is unbiased.

The entire state is a bunch of racist rednecks with piles of Negroes in their attics

Fans link

#3 Ignoratio Elenchi

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,232 posts
  • Joined 04-October 08

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

Why didn't they pay the fee? Are they now going to file a claim with an insurance company that they don't have a policy with?

I have earned some real enemies like ignoratio elechi. As you can see his comments are over the top rude, pugnacious and vitriolic. Moreover, there are posters end up being trolls, IE is another great example of this.

#4 Parasailer

Parasailer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

As ThinkProgress has noted, there are currently two competing visions of governance in the United States. One, the conservative vision, believes in the on-your-own society, and informs a policy agenda that primarily serves the well off and privileged sectors of the country. The other vision, the progressive one, believes in an American Dream that works for all people, regardless of their racial, religious, or economic background.

The conservative vision was on full display last week in Obion County, Tennessee. In this rural section of Tennessee, Gene Cranick’s home caught on fire. As the Cranicks fled their home, their neighbors alerted the county’s firefighters, who soon arrived at the scene. Yet when the firefighters arrived, they refused to put out the fire, saying that the family failed to pay the annual subscription fee to the fire department. Because the county’s fire services for rural residences is based on household subscription fees, the firefighters, fully equipped to help the Cranicks, stood by and watched as the home burned to the ground.

If the guy doesn't pay local taxes that fund the fire department then I don't really have a problem with this.
Ask Bobby Sac what I'm a metaphor of.

#5 Black Box

Black Box

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,406 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

As ThinkProgress has noted, there are currently two competing visions of governance in the United States. One, the conservative vision, believes in the on-your-own society, and informs a policy agenda that primarily serves the well off and privileged sectors of the country. The other vision, the progressive one, believes in an American Dream that works for all people, regardless of their racial, religious, or economic background. The conservative vision was on full display last week in Obion County, Tennessee. In this rural section of Tennessee, Gene Cranick’s home caught on fire. As the Cranicks fled their home, their neighbors alerted the county’s firefighters, who soon arrived at the scene. Yet when the firefighters arrived, they refused to put out the fire, saying that the family failed to pay the annual subscription fee to the fire department. Because the county’s fire services for rural residences is based on household subscription fees, the firefighters, fully equipped to help the Cranicks, stood by and watched as the home burned to the ground.

:lmao:

#6 Big 'N Tasty

Big 'N Tasty

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 671 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

Why didn't they pay the fee? Are they now going to file a claim with an insurance company that they don't have a policy with?

This is like a warranty on a car. You can't just wait until the transmission blows up and then buy the warranty. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but there is just no personal responsibility anymore.
"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too."

"If carrots could get you drunk, rabbits would be really ****** up."

#7 cstu

cstu

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49,525 posts
  • Joined 20-August 04

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

I don't have a problem with them not putting out the fire, but it's a doosh move to go to the fire and refuse to put it out.
“He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.”

#8 Parasailer

Parasailer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

I don't have a problem with them not putting out the fire, but it's a doosh move to go to the fire and refuse to put it out.

They were probably there in case it spread, which is sounds like it did.

#9 Smiles&Cries

Smiles&Cries

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 25-June 10

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

No worries, the Alpha Beta's will just take over the freshman dorms. Nerds, nerds, nerds, nerds!
:D & :cry:

#10 Bogeys

Bogeys

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,745 posts
  • Joined 08-September 03

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

Maybe they were just there to make sure that it didn't spread to other housese that did pay the fee. :thumbup:

#11 killface

killface

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Joined 05-February 09

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

Its like a hospital though...take the bullet out and then worry about insurance. Its a completely ##### move to not put it out and just bill them.
Those who believe in telekinetics...raise my hand.

#12 videoguy505

videoguy505

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 16,793 posts
  • Joined 31-August 05

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

:thumbup:

:lmao:
High praise
Bandwagons joined this season: :mansion:, 33% parlay. I once made Woz vomit blood and got LHUCKS to call himself a "timeless doosh"
*Now presented in High Definition

#13 Parasailer

Parasailer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

Its like a hospital though...take the bullet out and then worry about insurance. Its a completely ##### move to not put it out and just bill them.

I'm sure if there was someone trapped in the house they would have gone in. Those firefighters are risking their lives as it is, if the people refused to pay for the service why should they be risking their necks? What would be the point of charging people the fee if everyone knew the fire department would come and put out the fire anyway?

#14 perry147

perry147

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,753 posts
  • Joined 09-August 05

You know suppose someone was trapped in that house (say a child) would the firefighters have watched as the kids burned to death? They were under no obligation to put out the fire but that does not mean they should have just watched it burn.

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Please light your keyboard on fire.

don't pull kitty's whiskers = free the slaves or I'll throw frogs at you

#15 K8!

K8!

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 669 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

I wonder if other non-payers are busy writing checks.

#16 Ignoratio Elenchi

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,232 posts
  • Joined 04-October 08

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

I'm surprised the firefighting company doesn't have some kind of established pricing structure for situations like these (e.g. they'll respond to a non-subscriber's home but it will cost $1500 to put the fire out). It's pretty ####ty that they were there and had the means to stop the fire, but didn't.

I have earned some real enemies like ignoratio elechi. As you can see his comments are over the top rude, pugnacious and vitriolic. Moreover, there are posters end up being trolls, IE is another great example of this.

#17 FUBAR

FUBAR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,908 posts
  • Joined 15-October 05

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

That's what I would have done, I just wonder if they could attach a lien to the house or have another way to ensure these deadbeats pay.

2014 Race Schedule:

March 15: Instant Classic Marathon (Trail) http://www.instantcl...ctrailrace.com/  3:54  11 / 94

May 4: All American Marathon: http://www.fortbragg...ericanmarathon/ 3:28  45 / 768

June 1: Raleigh 70.3 (Triathlon) http://ironmanraleigh.com/ 5:21  347 / 2069

June 21: Survival Sprint (Mud / Adventure Run) https://www.survivalsprint.com/

July 27: The Big Deuce (2 Mile open water swim)  http://www.triangleo.../littleuno.html  01:08:21  59 / 88

September 6: White Lakes International (Triathlon) https://www.facebook...84709708/?ref=5 

September 20: Maryland Ironman / 140.6 (Triathlon) http://www.ironman.c...x#axzz32wdiXe52

October 25: Beach2Battleship / 112 (Bike leg of Relay) http://beach2battleship.com/ 

2015 Race Schedule:

January 31: Fat ### 50k: http://www.etinterne...ike/ncfa50k.htm 

March 22: All American Half-Marathon: http://www.fortbragg...ericanmarathon/ 

#18 killface

killface

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Joined 05-February 09

I'm sure if there was someone trapped in the house they would have gone in. Those firefighters are risking their lives as it is, if the people refused to pay for the service why should they be risking their necks? What would be the point of charging people the fee if everyone knew the fire department would come and put out the fire anyway?

I don't know the story but how do they know that the bill didn't just get lost in the mail? Maybe they meant to pay, maybe they thought they had paid. Maybe they didn't have the money but intended on paying. Unless these people were known to be incredibly belligerent towards the fire dept...put it out and bill them.

#19 GroveDiesel

GroveDiesel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,644 posts
  • Joined 24-February 06

Yeah, but then nobody would pay until there was an actual fire and there wouldn't be a fire service in the first place to go put it out. What's really a shame is that the family decided that $75 a year was enough to risk their house over.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - John Adams

#20 pantagrapher

pantagrapher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,510 posts
  • Joined 27-May 03
  • Interests:All of the above.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

Another win for basic human decency.

#21 killface

killface

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Joined 05-February 09

That's what I would have done, I just wonder if they could attach a lien to the house or have another way to ensure these deadbeats pay.

I'm assuming the people pay their property taxes and it would probably be easy to attach it to that and use the same mechanisms to make sure they pay.

#22 matuski

matuski

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,148 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05
  • Interests:killing threads

This is like a warranty on a car. You can't just wait until the transmission blows up and then buy the warranty. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but there is just no personal responsibility anymore.

Regardless - Once the fire truck got there, they should have acted. Fire fighters watched a home burn down. Why respond if you are only there to kick someone when they are down?

#23 killface

killface

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Joined 05-February 09

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:19 AM

Another win for basic human decency.

In the end this is a great posting. Another nail in the coffin of what used to be a good country.

#24 Black Box

Black Box

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,406 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

I'm surprised the firefighting company doesn't have some kind of established pricing structure for situations like these (e.g. they'll respond to a non-subscriber's home but it will cost $1500 to put the fire out). It's pretty ####ty that they were there and had the means to stop the fire, but didn't.

That seems like a good solution to this mess.

#25 FUBAR

FUBAR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,908 posts
  • Joined 15-October 05

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

Only problem I have with this is

The paper said he told them that, after all, “if an auto owner allowed their vehicle insurance to lapse, they would not expect an insurance company to pay for an unprotected vehicle after it was wrecked.”

I would expect a mechanic to fix the car and charge me, really not a good analogy. The hospital seems more fitting.

2014 Race Schedule:

March 15: Instant Classic Marathon (Trail) http://www.instantcl...ctrailrace.com/  3:54  11 / 94

May 4: All American Marathon: http://www.fortbragg...ericanmarathon/ 3:28  45 / 768

July 27: The Big Deuce (2 Mile open water swim)  http://www.triangleo.../littleuno.html  01:08:21  59 / 88

September 6: White Lakes International (Triathlon) https://www.facebook...84709708/?ref=5 

September 20: Maryland Ironman / 140.6 (Triathlon) http://www.ironman.c...x#axzz32wdiXe52

October 25: Beach2Battleship / 112 (Bike leg of Relay) http://beach2battleship.com/ 

2015 Race Schedule:

#26 Parasailer

Parasailer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

I don't know the story but how do they know that the bill didn't just get lost in the mail? Maybe they meant to pay, maybe they thought they had paid. Maybe they didn't have the money but intended on paying. Unless these people were known to be incredibly belligerent towards the fire dept...put it out and bill them.

What if they meant to pay? Seriously? Oh sorry IRS, I meant to pay my taxes. It must have gotten lost in the mail...

#27 Sweet J

Sweet J

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,030 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:puppies. kittens. puppies and kittens. puppies playing with kittens. On t-shirts.

Well, you can't have a system like that in place, and then not enforce it. If the firefighters would put out the fire, then it would be silly to have a "voluntary" tax. So I guess the FFs had to let it burn. I guess I'm ok with it. That being said, what an incredibly stupid system. Citizen's shouldn't be allowed to "opt out" of basic, necessary, services. It is a recipe for chaos.
:Not allowed to post in logic threads:

#28 Black Box

Black Box

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,406 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06

Why respond if you are only there to kick someone when they are down?

To roast hot dogs?

#29 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60,365 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

I wonder if other non-payers are busy writing checks.

This event should help increase sign-ups. :lmao:
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#30 FUBAR

FUBAR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,908 posts
  • Joined 15-October 05

I'm assuming the people pay their property taxes and it would probably be easy to attach it to that and use the same mechanisms to make sure they pay.

That would be a better way of doing it I think, but I'm guessing the voters didn't want that.

2014 Race Schedule:

2015 Race Schedule:

#31 Ignoratio Elenchi

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,232 posts
  • Joined 04-October 08

Some places don't have a large enough tax base to provide municipal fire services, so they just contract it out to a subscription-based third party. I'm guessing Bumblefudge, TN is one of those places. Still makes no sense that any kind of system exists where firefighters would be present on the scene but refuse to fight the fire.

#32 McJose

McJose

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,526 posts
  • Joined 25-March 08
  • Interests:NEXT QUESTION

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

"House in Obion County, Tennessee burns to the ground axles, with Firefighters watching it burn"

I firmly believe I could post an incredibly comical yet insightful dissertation...

#33 perry147

perry147

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,753 posts
  • Joined 09-August 05

You know suppose someone was trapped in that house (say a child) would the firefighters have watched as the kids burned to death? They were under no obligation to put out the fire but that does not mean they should have just watched it burn.

Anyone want to take a stab at this?

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Please light your keyboard on fire.

don't pull kitty's whiskers = free the slaves or I'll throw frogs at you

#34 glumpy

glumpy

breeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,449 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Just the intro. I was ready to dismiss it as well for that, but the rest of it is word-for-word from the report. and--I find myself somewhat torn with this... One thing for sure--That system Sucks. period. They should have been paying the FD from county taxes if they wanted coverage--not this hit-or-miss garbage. Better yet, the county should be establishing their own rural station--that's what we do in my area. (Country boy here...) On the other hand, that $75 per year is some pretty cheap insurance--and that's exactly what it is: insurance. Given that's the way the county/people are operating the FD acted correctly. You can't buy life insurance after the fact to pay for death benefits. You can't by comprehensive auto after hitting the deer; you can't buy medical for preexisting conditions. They count on making money--or at least breaking even--when balancing claims vs premiums. From the FD's side it's actually a helluvan offer--with no rural department so they're covering it from the city for those who so desire. Betcha those folks reevaluate how they handly fire protection in the future.
-~- S -~- L -~- O -~- W -~-

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

"If you don't like the way I'm living--you just leave this long-haired country boy alone."

#35 Black Box

Black Box

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,406 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

I'm guessing they would save trapped kids.

#36 pantagrapher

pantagrapher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,510 posts
  • Joined 27-May 03

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

Well, you can't have a system like that in place, and then not enforce it. If the firefighters would put out the fire, then it would be silly to have a "voluntary" tax. So I guess the FFs had to let it burn. I guess I'm ok with it. That being said, what an incredibly stupid system. Citizen's shouldn't be allowed to "opt out" of basic, necessary, services. It is a recipe for chaos.

:shrug: They had to foresee something like this happening eventually. Now the entire community will realize that there's a shared cost to not sharing this kind of basic service.

#37 GroveDiesel

GroveDiesel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,644 posts
  • Joined 24-February 06

That would actually make a lot of sense. Although I think the amount would have to be a fairly punitive one to discourage people from not paying the $75 and just assuming they'll pay the fee. Like $5k or something like that.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - John Adams

#38 Kirby

Kirby

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,473 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

“I thought they’d come out and put it out, even if you hadn’t paid your $75, but I was wrong,” said Gene Cranick.

#39 K8!

K8!

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 669 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

I do not know of many service people or business persons who are expected to provide simply because they are in a position to do so. Are people outraged because they see some sacred trust here? Frankly I can't imagine that in a rural setting that by the time the department responded there would really be much worth saving. If there was I would assume the water damage that comes with the saving would reduce the value of the home to next to nothing. For me, I would frather have an insurance check and be able to walk away and repurchase than to have to go through the headache and time of clean up and restoration. Of course, that's just me, I don't suppose others share that view.

#40 Parasailer

Parasailer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

“I thought they’d come out and put it out, even if you hadn’t paid your $75, but I was wrong,” said Gene Cranick.

what a maroon.

#41 Ignoratio Elenchi

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,232 posts
  • Joined 04-October 08

Just the intro. I was ready to dismiss it as well for that, but the rest of it is word-for-word from the report. and--I find myself somewhat torn with this... One thing for sure--That system Sucks. period. They should have been paying the FD from county taxes if they wanted coverage--not this hit-or-miss garbage. Better yet, the county should be establishing their own rural station--that's what we do in my area. (Country boy here...) On the other hand, that $75 per year is some pretty cheap insurance--and that's exactly what it is: insurance. Given that's the way the county/people are operating the FD acted correctly. You can't buy life insurance after the fact to pay for death benefits. You can't by comprehensive auto after hitting the deer; you can't buy medical for preexisting conditions. They count on making money--or at least breaking even--when balancing claims vs premiums. From the FD's side it's actually a helluvan offer--with no rural department so they're covering it from the city for those who so desire. Betcha those folks reevaluate how they handly fire protection in the future.

As someone else pointed out, the insurance analogy isn't really a good one. The homeowners probably have homeowner's insurance to cover losses due to fire. That's a separate issue. The firefighters aren't analogous to to auto insurer or the medical insurer, they're analogous to the car mechanic or the ER surgeon. Put out the fire. Work out the bill after the fact. As I said, I can't imagine that isn't part of their contract with the township to begin with. Did they honestly never consider this possibility? Or did they consider the possibility, and decide that letting the house burn to the ground was the best course of action?

#42 killface

killface

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Joined 05-February 09

I do not know of many service people or business persons who are expected to provide simply because they are in a position to do so. Are people outraged because they see some sacred trust here? Frankly I can't imagine that in a rural setting that by the time the department responded there would really be much worth saving. If there was I would assume the water damage that comes with the saving would reduce the value of the home to next to nothing. For me, I would frather have an insurance check and be able to walk away and repurchase than to have to go through the headache and time of clean up and restoration. Of course, that's just me, I don't suppose others share that view.

I just hope they do this with the police service so the police can stand around and watch the family get raped and murdered because those hippies didn't pay their 75$

#43 cstu

cstu

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49,525 posts
  • Joined 20-August 04

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

Yeah, but then nobody would pay until there was an actual fire and there wouldn't be a fire service in the first place to go put it out. What's really a shame is that the family decided that $75 a year was enough to risk their house over.

I'm not saying they should have done it for free, like someone mentioned they could have put it out and billed them like a hospital would.
“He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.”

#44 K8!

K8!

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 669 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

As a libertarian I welcome such chaos.

#45 glumpy

glumpy

breeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,449 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Acording to the story there was a lot of time between start of brush fire and getting to the house. The possibility of someone being trapped inside is not only irrelevant to this case--but an entirely different discussion in general.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

"If you don't like the way I'm living--you just leave this long-haired country boy alone."

#46 pantagrapher

pantagrapher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,510 posts
  • Joined 27-May 03

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

As someone else pointed out, the insurance analogy isn't really a good one. The homeowners probably have homeowner's insurance to cover losses due to fire. That's a separate issue. The firefighters aren't analogous to to auto insurer or the medical insurer, they're analogous to the car mechanic or the ER surgeon. Put out the fire. Work out the bill after the fact. As I said, I can't imagine that isn't part of their contract with the township to begin with. Did they honestly never consider this possibility? Or did they consider the possibility, and decide that letting the house burn to the ground was the best course of action?

What kind of insurance company would sell a policy to a household that didn't pay its $75?

#47 K8!

K8!

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 669 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

I bet the homeowner's insurance policy mandated that they pay their fire protection fee. It would not surprise me to find that their insurance will not cover even if they have been keeping that payment up.

#48 Aggie 86

Aggie 86

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06

On firehouse.com it reports it a little differently. 1. They did not respond to the house fire. They were informed that since they didn't pay the fee, the fire dept. would not respond. 2. The fire dept. responded to a neighbor's call (who pays their bills) to come and protect their house. 3. Timothy Cranick (a relative) assaulted the fire chief for not responding. He is facing felony aggravated assault charges.

Edited by Aggie 86, 04 October 2010 - 09:31 AM.

Simul justus et peccator.

#49 glumpy

glumpy

breeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,449 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

That would actually make a lot of sense. Although I think the amount would have to be a fairly punitive one to discourage people from not paying the $75 and just assuming they'll pay the fee. Like $5k or something like that.

I would also think that the residents would have had to sign such an agreement for it to be legally binding--and again we're at the voluntary coverage issue.

#50 glumpy

glumpy

breeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,449 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

I bet the homeowner's insurance policy mandated that they pay their fire protection fee. It would not surprise me to find that their insurance will not cover even if they have been keeping that payment up.

:lmao: betcher right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users