What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do your serious leagues have loser's bracket playoffs? (1 Viewer)

greenheads

Footballguy
This seems like a good idea all around. My main league is a keeper league. A Loser's playoffs would seem to: keep interest up late season, to prevent collusion (stud dumping for next year's prospects) and prevent owners from not managing their teams when they are eliminated from the playoffs.

If you have this how is it run? What is the prize?

Last edited by a moderator:
Winner of the losers bracket gets the first choice of where they will pick the following year. Runner-up gets second choice...and so on.

We have the Toilet Bowl Playoff, winner takes home the decorated toilet seat (and it's not pretty) from the previous winner.

Week 15-16 the 8 teams that did not make the playoffs fight for a 65% - 35% split of the total waiver wire money collected on the season.

Week 17 the two teams with the worst record during the regular season (weeks 1-14) play head to head, loser buys the beer at next years draft.

Non-playoff teams have a playoff for the order of choice to pick when they will draft the next season. I like this for keeper leagues because it keeps teams active. Prior to having a playoff for the non-playoff teams, the non-playoff owners stopped paying any attention to the league. The playoff teams, even the ones that lost in the playoffs loaded up on WW guys that they thought could be keepers next season. The toilet playoff fixed that.

Loser of the loser's bracket designs and purchases league t-shirt/hat/etc for the following year.

Loser of the loser's bracket designs and purchases league t-shirt/hat/etc for the following year.
:thumbup: Our loser has to spring for beverages for the next draft. Not to mention is forced to endure several articles/posts with horrible "Toilet Bowl" puns.

12 team league, 6 team loser's bowl.

Winner is total points weeks 13-16.

Gets #1 overall pick in next year's draft and last pick in 2nd round; keep three league with draft order based on standings. Bext that can hppen is team that would have drafted #6 gets the #1 pick and team that would have draft 1-5 slip to picks 2-6.

Winner of the losers bracket gets the first choice of where they will pick the following year. Runner-up gets second choice...and so on.
:hophead: We did this to sort of combat "tanking" for the #1 pick.... Makes it interesting.

Our Toilet Bowl loser has to bring the beverages to the next draft. The teams in the "consolation" bracket are entered into a drawing for a cash prize at the end of the season. The better you do in the playoffs, the more cards you get in the raffle.

In our league, teams that don't make the playoffs go into the Loser Bowl. Rather than a head-to-head format, they just accumulate their points for the 3 playoff weeks, and highest total team gets 10% of the pot.

The Tidy Bowl loser in our league has to buy a bottle of alcohol for our next draft. I believe next season we're going to allow the other members to name the loser's team as well.

Had to stop tankers a few years back so we installed a Toilet Bowl with the winner taking the #1 pick in the next season's re-load draft. 3-player keeper/12 team league so the pick is usually the best rookie RB coming into a desirable situation.

1st 12 team league - bottom 6 make the toilet bowl with top two teams getting a bye in week 14. Toilet winner takes home league dues for next season, loser take half of league dues for next season

2nd 12 team league - same scenario

10 team league - bottom two teams fight for toilet bowl. loser pays 25 bucks of winners dues next season.

My league has 2 "loser bowls" 1st 2 teams to miss the playoffs battle it out for 50 and winner gets to name the losers team the next year, 2 playoff losers pretty much get there money back and play for a little bit more money then the other. Then obviously the "Super Bowl"

Bottom 4 make the Toilet Bowl Bracket

Losers advance to the Toilet Bowl

Winner of Toilet Bowl does not get any $ but gets to choose draft position the following year.

Loser of Toilet Bowl is flushed from the league.

12 team league

8 make the playoffs

4 play for the "old corroded nickel"

We have an unimproved section of two-by-four traveling trophy award for the toilet bowl winner with a nasty old nickel tacked to it. Great conversation piece for your desk at work.

I like many of the awards for winning the toilet bowl, listed here, but the best prize I ever heard of was a bottle of non-alcoholic wine.

In my dynasty league we used to use the "Ladies' Playoffs" to determine draft order next season, which worked great for a year or two (when all teams were fresh off the startup and there was a lot of parity), but soon teams started getting epically bad and those people had no shot at the #1 overall, so we changed it. Now we add an extra pick at the end of the first round, and the winner of the Ladies' Playoffs gets it. Still a very substantial prize to play for, but not quite as balance-destroying as the #1 overall.

Loser of toilet bowl in our league wears the "I Suck at Fantasy Football" apron the following year while cooking everyone's food at the draft. They also have to enter all the picks into the computer as the draft is happening. It's a cruel prize...really

12 team league, 3 divisions.

Main playoffs for the championship:

Championship Playoffs: 6 teams. The 3 division winners, next two top W-L wildcard record teams and 6th slot is a points wildcard. Top 2 division winners get a bye.

Consolation Bracket: Next best 4 teams. 1st pick in next draft

Toilet Bowl: Teams 11th and 12th... loser is the toilet bowl 'winner'... ( always thought a 13 team re-draft league would work well... loser gets flushed and is acting commish the next year... )

So then you have 3 big games each of the playoff weeks:

Week 15: Toilet Bowl

Week 16: Consolation 1st round pick

Week 17: Championship game

Our league has a toilet bowl "losers bracket" that the winner gets 1/2 the entry fee back - $100.

On one hand, I hate it since I usually finish in the top 4 in this league and want more $$$$ towards the higher finishers

On the other hand, I like it since it keeps everyone in the game with a chance of winning some money. Less tanking in my league. One year an owner had a ton of injuries and finished the year 3-10, but made some key pickups late in the regular season and ended up winning the toilet bowl.

Our league has a toilet bowl "losers bracket" that the winner gets 1/2 the entry fee back - $100.

On one hand, I hate it since I usually finish in the top 4 in this league and want more $$$$ towards the higher finishers

On the other hand, I like it since it keeps everyone in the game with a chance of winning some money. Less tanking in my league. One year an owner had a ton of injuries and finished the year 3-10, but made some key pickups late in the regular season and ended up winning the toilet bowl.

During the fantasy season, if anyone on your roster is arrested or suspended by the NFL for any reason, you are immediately fined $10. The winner of the toilet bowl gets this pot at year end.

Thanks to Braylon Edwards, the pot currently stands at $10.

Looking for another DUI here shortly. A Favre league suspension would also be a nice touch.

In my league, we have a loser's bracket for all the teams that did not make the playoffs. The winner of this bracket gets an extra first round pick, at the end of the round (1.13).

SSOG said:
In my dynasty league we used to use the "Ladies' Playoffs" to determine draft order next season, which worked great for a year or two (when all teams were fresh off the startup and there was a lot of parity), but soon teams started getting epically bad and those people had no shot at the #1 overall, so we changed it. Now we add an extra pick at the end of the first round, and the winner of the Ladies' Playoffs gets it. Still a very substantial prize to play for, but not quite as balance-destroying as the #1 overall.
Interesting concept, can you expand a bit? So if I finish with the 4th worst record, miss the playoffs and then 'win' the Ladies playoffs, I would have picks #4 and #13?If this is correct, did you get much push back from the better teams?Thanks.

In two of my leagues, the top four teams go to the winner's bracket (just semi-finals and finals) while the next four teams go the the loser's bracket. (The remaining teams play totally meaningless round-robin games.)

The team that wins the loser's bracket (fifth place) gets the same payout as the bottom team from the winner's bracket (fourth place) — each team gets half of its buy-in back.

I was initially against that structure because fourth place is higher than fifth place, so fourth place should get a higher payout. But in fact, the team that ends up in fifth place almost always scores more points over the course of the whole season (including in the playoffs) than the team that ends up in fourth place. They usually have very similar records at the end of the regular season, but then the fourth-place team goes 0–2 from there while the fifth-place team goes 2–0. By the end of the playoffs, the fifth-place team's performance overall is generally more impressive. So I'm now in favor of the winner of the loser's bracket getting the same payout as the loser of the winner's bracket.

Our 12 team dynasty league has a 4 team loser bowl, winner gets the #1 pick followed by reverse order of finish for the rest of the picks.

The 6 teams that dont make it playout and whomever scores the most points in that 2 week span of playoffs (weeks 15 and 16) gets a case of beer.

We added it to prevent tanking as well.

Winner gets draft spot and 1/2 of entry fee back. The draft spot is the interesting one, as we try to keep people in it as much as possible. 12-team league, here's how we award draft spots:

Toilet Bowl Winner: Draft Choice 1 (meaning they can pick anywhere between 1-12 spot in draft (we are also a keeper league))

TB Runner-Up: Draft Choice 2

etc through 6th place finish TB

6th place finish (SB): Draft Choice 7

5th place finish (SB): Draft Choice 8

etc.

More serious league: 10-team, $1000 entry, $5 transactions/trades

No losers bracket. But if you're either lowest in points or have the worst record, you pay an extra $250. $500 if "win" both awards.

Less serious league: 12-team, $120 entry, $3 transactions/trades

Loser's "toilet bowl" bracket for bottom 4 team. Winner of that takes 5%.

Loser of toilet bowl in our league wears the "I Suck at Fantasy Football" apron the following year while cooking everyone's food at the draft. They also have to enter all the picks into the computer as the draft is happening. It's a cruel prize...really
Nice. Looks like you and me have the rare negative toilet bowl scenario. I like it. You shouldn't be rewarded for sucking just a little less than the other losers at the bottom of the league after all.

Our Loser's Bracket is for draft order for the following year, but with a twist--teams do not set their own lineups in the Loser's Bracket. Instead, their opponent each week sets the lineup (through the Commish). Since the goal is to lose (last place team gets 1st draft choice), each owner tries to set the best possible lineup for his opponent.

Winner of the toilet bowl gets to rename the loser to anything he wants, and the loser has to go with that name for the following year. Good times.

Trust me, NO ONE wants to lose the toilet bowl.

In two of my leagues, the top four teams go to the winner's bracket (just semi-finals and finals) while the next four teams go the the loser's bracket. (The remaining teams play totally meaningless round-robin games.)The team that wins the loser's bracket (fifth place) gets the same payout as the bottom team from the winner's bracket (fourth place) — each team gets half of its buy-in back.I was initially against that structure because fourth place is higher than fifth place, so fourth place should get a higher payout. But in fact, the team that ends up in fifth place almost always scores more points over the course of the whole season (including in the playoffs) than the team that ends up in fourth place. They usually have very similar records at the end of the regular season, but then the fourth-place team goes 0–2 from there while the fifth-place team goes 2–0. By the end of the playoffs, the fifth-place team's performance overall is generally more impressive. So I'm now in favor of the winner of the loser's bracket getting the same payout as the loser of the winner's bracket.
We pay out the 4th spot the full league fee ($200) but the guy in 5th can theoretically collect more money as he gets 65% of the waiver wire money collected on the season. If there are enough transactions (and there have never been enough) then 5th could collect more than 4th. 6th place gets 35% of the WW money.One thing we do is the four playoff teams get a bonus payout $75 for the team with the best record (all play) and $50 for the other three playoff qualifiers. If you instituted something like that then 4th would still collect more than 5th and, while I understand your argument, it's only right that a playoff team receives better compensation.

We have a Toilet Bowl playoff for the bottom 4 teams in our dynasty league each season. Our rookie draft order is determined by reverse order of our standings with the winner of the Toilet Bowl playoff earning an additional 1st round pick inserted before pick 1.01.

EDIT TO SUMMARIZE: so the team with the worst record in the league at the start of the playoffs (week 15) gets pick 1.01. They then enter a playoff with the other 3 bottom teams, with the winner getting the additional pick prior to 1.01.

We have a four team loser's bracket during our playoffs, with the teams that lose advancing to the Toilet Bowl. The loser of the Toilet Bowl must host and plan the draft the following year. So, the object is to still win in the loser's bracket so you don't get stuck with the draft. Kinda fun.

Users who are viewing this thread