#1 Weapon of Mass Instruction

Weapon of Mass Instruction

Watch my feet!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,437 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Neighbor has several large and beautiful trees. His yard is separated from mine by a privacy fence. Approximately 7.8 billion of his leaves are in my yard with more on the way. I don't feel that raking these up should be my responsibility but I also don't want to be a bad neighbor. I overseeded and now they are covering the grass. If I rake them, more will cover it up again in just a few days. What have you have done if you've been in this situation?

Edited by Weapon of Mass Instruction, 27 October 2010 - 12:22 PM.

I am the Weapon of Mass Instruction and I approve this message.

I'm prime, of course.

Follow me on the Twitter @brookspw

#2 bg0546

bg0546

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Joined 15-April 10

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

Neighbor had several large and beautiful trees. His yard is separated from mine by a privacy fence. Approximately 7.8 billion of his leaves are in my yard with more on the way. I don't feel that raking these up should be my responsibility but I also don't want to be a bad neighbor. I overseeded and now they are covering the grass. If I rake them, more will cover it up again in just a few days. What have you have done if you've been in this situation?

That's life man. What, is he supposed to go to everyone's yard and sweep up their leaves for them?

#3 IvanKaramazov

IvanKaramazov

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46,279 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Obviously the only solution here is to curb-stomp him.

#4 Disco Stu

Disco Stu

Confirmed FBGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,377 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:What about eggs?

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

Burn down his house.

He already knew about my Disco Stu dream and all he wanted to know was if I was going to leave him for Disco Stu.

Who doesn't want to do Stu? I'd brag that I'd done the Chuck Norris of FBG.

#5 Courtjester

Courtjester

The Town Drunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,198 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

Buy a blower. With a little effort you can get those things back airborne and into his yard where they belong. It's their home. They miss their home.

#6 whitem0nkey

whitem0nkey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,567 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

Were the trees present at the time you purchased your home. if the trees were pre-existing, then you should have reasonably expected to be living next to trees and been prepared to live with the consequences.

#7 Mr. Chumley

Mr. Chumley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,943 posts
  • Joined 07-March 06

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

Neighbor had several large and beautiful trees. His yard is separated from mine by a privacy fence. Approximately 7.8 billion of his leaves are in my yard with more on the way. I don't feel that raking these up should be my responsibility but I also don't want to be a bad neighbor. I overseeded and now they are covering the grass. If I rake them, more will cover it up again in just a few days. What have you have done if you've been in this situation?

I've never been in that situation. It's my trees that that are dropping in the neighbors yard and I think it's great, I don't have to rake them. WOOHOO!

Edited by Mr. Chumley, 27 October 2010 - 11:29 AM.

#8 E-Z Glider

E-Z Glider

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,071 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

I don't feel that raking these up should be my responsibility

:lmao:

#9 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,074 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

I've never been in that situation. It's my trees that that are dropping in the neighbors yard and I think it's great, I don't have to rake them. WOOHOO!

:goodposting: Sometime I feel like taking down some of my fence just so most of the leaves can blow into my neighbors yard, then I put my fence back up.
I bow to the awesomeness of :homer:  

#10 Bob Lee Swagger

Bob Lee Swagger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,432 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

you should have reasonably expected to be living next to trees and been prepared to live with the consequences.

:goodposting:
<a href="http://thechicagosom...s.blogspot.com" target="_blank">The Chicago Sometimes</a> Clear, unscalable, ahead / Rise the Mountains of Instead, / From whose cold cascading streams / None may drink except in dreams.

#11 Yankee23Fan

Yankee23Fan

Fair Tax!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31,889 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

Is your neighbor a Tea Party member?
Matthew 9:8 - But when the multitudes saw it, they marvelled, and glorified God, which had given such power unto men.

#12 RudiStein

RudiStein

*Not really a bail bondsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,128 posts
  • Joined 26-June 07
  • Interests:All I care about is Muppets

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

If my neighbor asked me to come over and rake leaves from my tree in the fall I would tell him I was going to start charging him for the shade I provide in the summer.

Why? Because I'm an idiot on a messageboard?

Neature

#13 D_House

D_House

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Joined 31-October 06

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

You should be thankful for the free shade in the summer and the free compost material in the fall.

#14 Foosball God

Foosball God

Foos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46,363 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Just wait until a limb falls off the tree, smashes your fence and you have to pay for it.
RIP Shining Path. You were a great poster and a great friend.

#15 LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 08-August 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Mulch the leaves. Free fertilizer, great food for the lawn.

#16 mon

mon

(T)ool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,306 posts
  • Joined 14-July 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

Call the police and tell them your neighbor's leaves are trespassing.
Peace to you, my FFA brotha.

#17 texasheat

texasheat

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 04-August 04

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

Do what Sp00fy did... hire someone to come cut down your neighbors trees.

#18 bostonfred

bostonfred

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39,594 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

You probably don't have grounds for some kind of lawsuit because you can't prove that they are his leaves. If you went over to his house late at night and marked the leaves that are currently on his trees, you'd have proof when they landed on your lawn later.

try to be clearer.

R.I.P. shiny 5/25/09

#19 [icon]

[icon]

Insoxicated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68,510 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:X|O|O
    --------
    O|X|X
    --------
    X|O|O

We're taking about what... 20 minutes of yard work here? Get out there and rake em up.

2012 - OFFICIAL FBG FFA Member of the Year Nominee

#20 Disco Stu

Disco Stu

Confirmed FBGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,377 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:What about eggs?

Just wait until a limb falls off the tree, smashes your fence and you have to pay for it.

I don't think the neighbor is going to charge him for the broken limb.

He already knew about my Disco Stu dream and all he wanted to know was if I was going to leave him for Disco Stu.

Who doesn't want to do Stu? I'd brag that I'd done the Chuck Norris of FBG.

#21 John 14:6

John 14:6

Jesus is Lord!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,376 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03
  • Interests:Jesus & the Bible
    Transformers
    comics
    sports (NFL, NBA)

We have a cherry tree where several branches were over a fence and cherries would fall into our neighbor's yard. He told my wife it was our responsibility to take care of it. We didn't have a problem with it and cut off that side of the tree. That said, you need to rake your own lawn.

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me."
Corner Fringe

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. The materialism of affluent Christian countries appears to contradict the claims of Jesus Christ that says it's not possible to worship both Mammon and God at the same time.
— Mahatma Gandhi

#22 Jaysus

Jaysus

Good times!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,093 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03
  • Interests:pizza

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

I am not sure what the answer is her... but I am positive it involves fire.

#23 Foosball God

Foosball God

Foos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46,363 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

I don't think the neighbor is going to charge him for the broken limb.

trees are expensive dude
RIP Shining Path. You were a great poster and a great friend.

#24 RudiStein

RudiStein

*Not really a bail bondsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,128 posts
  • Joined 26-June 07
  • Interests:All I care about is Muppets

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

We have a cherry tree where several branches were over a fence and cherries would fall into our neighbor's yard. He told my wife it was our responsibility to take care of it. We didn't have a problem with it and cut off that side of the tree. That said, you need to rake your own lawn.

I would put up with the cherries on my lawn just because cherry trees look awesome.

Why? Because I'm an idiot on a messageboard?

Neature

#25 Phurfur

Phurfur

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,386 posts
  • Joined 10-September 06

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

This should please you too. If a storm blows one of his tree on your house, your insurance will have to cover it.
"we have met the enemy and he is us"

#26 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,057 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

Call the police and tell them your neighbor's leaves are trespassing.

I'd go out on a limb and mention that they look a little shady.

#27 pats3in4

pats3in4

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,286 posts
  • Joined 25-August 04

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

We have a cherry tree where several branches were over a fence and cherries would fall into our neighbor's yard. He told my wife it was our responsibility to take care of it. We didn't have a problem with it and cut off that side of the tree.

George Washington approves.

#28 Silver & Black

Silver & Black

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,360 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

And what about your leaves????? What, they don't blow on the neighbor's lawn on the other side of your house? C'mon man....
A committment to excell.....oh man!!

#29 Parrothead

Parrothead

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,395 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

put a post-it-note on every leaf stating "yours" and put them on his porch
In memory of Shining Path.. RIP...

#30 [icon]

[icon]

Insoxicated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68,510 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
    --------
    O|X|X
    --------
    X|O|O

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

If you want to be passive aggressive about it, rake them, bag them, then set the bags on the other side of the fence.

#31 EasyMorningRebel

EasyMorningRebel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

Rake your friggin lawn, you lazy bum!

#32 videoguy505

videoguy505

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 16,793 posts
  • Joined 31-August 05

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

If you hang a giant net between the goalposts, the leaves will just blow right in and save you lots of work.
High praise
Bandwagons joined this season: :mansion:, 33% parlay. I once made Woz vomit blood and got LHUCKS to call himself a "timeless doosh"
*Now presented in High Definition

#33 joffer

joffer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,770 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:i collect spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

put a post-it-note on every leaf stating "yours" and put them on his porch

i like this

#34 tommyboy

tommyboy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,728 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:#542

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

triclyor will suffice

#35 Weapon of Mass Instruction

Watch my feet!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,437 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

That's life man. What, is he supposed to go to everyone's yard and sweep up their leaves for them?

You'd feel the same if a limb broke off your neighbor's tree and smashed your fence?

I'm prime, of course.

#36 GreatLakesMike

GreatLakesMike

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,821 posts
  • Joined 28-October 09

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

I'm going to need to know what kind of trees they are before I can answer.
That's what's good about Browns fans. We're resilient. When you knock them down, they keep coming back for more. - Eric Barr

It feels like every year I complain about the same thing.

#37 bg0546

bg0546

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Joined 15-April 10

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

You'd feel the same if a limb broke off your neighbor's tree and smashed your fence?

Yes, cause that's exactly the same.

#38 Cunk

Cunk

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,875 posts
  • Joined 22-November 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Is there any way you could jump up and swat them back into his yard before they fall into yours in the first place? Or perhaps you could grab a sharpie and write his name on all the leaves that are his and all the leaves that are yours. Then invite him over for a beer/rake party. If you could approach him while wearing swiss cheese attached by rubber bands on your feet that would be ideal. Another way to go about it is to run around in circles shrieking the word "Bucolic! Peter Cetera eats chutney!" until said neighbor comes out wondering what the fuss is all about. Then immediately smash an apple into your forehead then fall to the ground rubbing your ### on the ground as if you were a dog who had worms. He'll get the hint.

#39 E-Z Glider

E-Z Glider

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,071 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

I think most normal neighbors would be willing to work out something for this scenario. I think most normal neighbors will think you're insane if you complain about their leaves blowing into your yard.

#40 Phurfur

Phurfur

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,386 posts
  • Joined 10-September 06

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

Yes, cause that's exactly the same.

but it is your responsibility to fix your fence.
"we have met the enemy and he is us"

#41 Giant Wooden Badger

Giant Wooden Badger

the Beav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,639 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

:bow: Good grief.

Fun fact - I loswt my virginity exactly 3 dyas ago and also how efver many years oh my dog hi h'm nt ogood #### you and ythe horse you road in on hi see you later guess hwat my wife is all like blah blah balh and now we're are killijg you in you face an stuf..

#42 tommyboy

tommyboy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,728 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:#542

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

in portland, your property line extends vertically so that a tree whos branches or trunk drift over that line are open season. you will occaisionally see a tree where 40% of it has been cut straight up along a property line. Its legal too

#43 Dexter Manley

Dexter Manley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,554 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06
  • Interests:Bootyism

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

This should please you too. If a storm blows one of his tree on your house, your insurance will have to cover it.

Yep. I learned this when my neighborhood was hit with a tornado a couple years ago, and a huge branch from the silver leaf maple in my front yard snapped and pancaked my neighbors' brand new Xterra which was parked in their driveway.

I'm right there with you MP. Here's a thread from a month ago where I said that he was nothing special last year. I would have rather had E.Graham, R.Grant, or J.Fargas than Portis.

We are in the extreme minority it seems.

That's why the short bus is short.

[size=1]Best winning percentages over the last 50 years (min. 500 games)

1 Nebraska 0.78454 474 128 6 608

2 Ohio State 0.76817 439 129 10 578
3 Penn State 0.74027 436 152 3 591
4 Oklahoma 0.73990 435 150 9 594
5 Texas 0.73305 429 154 7 590
6 Alabama 0.72892 421 155 5 581
7 Michigan 0.72384 417 156 10 583
8 Southern Cal 0.72344 421 156 16 593
9 Florida 0.69224 405 177 11 593
10 Florida State 0.68793 392 174 14 580

#44 Men-in-Cleats

Men-in-Cleats

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,600 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

Rake the leaves.
....And then I became an Engineer.

#45 [icon]

[icon]

Insoxicated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68,510 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
    --------
    O|X|X
    --------
    X|O|O

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

Is there any way you could jump up and swat them back into his yard before they fall into yours in the first place? Or perhaps you could grab a sharpie and write his name on all the leaves that are his and all the leaves that are yours. Then invite him over for a beer/rake party. If you could approach him while wearing swiss cheese attached by rubber bands on your feet that would be ideal. Another way to go about it is to run around in circles shrieking the word "Bucolic! Peter Cetera eats chutney!" until said neighbor comes out wondering what the fuss is all about. Then immediately smash an apple into your forehead then fall to the ground rubbing your ### on the ground as if you were a dog who had worms. He'll get the hint.

:bag: Cunk needs to post more.

#46 joffer

joffer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,770 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:i collect spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

in portland, your property line extends vertically so that a tree whos branches or trunk drift over that line are open season. you will occaisionally see a tree where 40% of it has been cut straight up along a property line. Its legal too

how far up? would i own satellites in geosynchronous orbit over my house?

#47 Weapon of Mass Instruction

Watch my feet!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,437 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

I may have understated the situation. I have 3 trees on my property. 2 in the front and 1 in the back. None of the 3 are large trees. They are all quite a distance from any neighbor as we, fortunately, have a large lot. In the back, the neighbors on either side of me have many, many large trees. Many, tall and large trees. For whatever reason, the leaves from the neighbor to the north do not fall into my yard. However, on the other side, the leaves from about 10-15 very large trees completely cover that side of my yard. This isn't just a few leaves. They cover the yard to the point that it kills my grass. If I rake them today, they'll be back to the same extent in a couple of days. The back of his yard, where these trees are, is a wooded area so he doesn't care about the leaves on his side. Ironically, there are way more of his leaves in my yard than his. A large privacy fence is between the yards so I can't just move them to his yard. My house does not benefit from any shade from these trees. I get no benefit except for more leaves than there are stars in the sky. I owned a previous home where my leaves did go to the neighbor's yard and I raked them weekly. Thought it the responsible thing to do. It wouldn't be as big a deal except I am trying to get grass to grow in this area. Interestingly, but also irrelevent, is the fact that he plays for the other team and looks just like Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

I'm prime, of course.

#48 mon

mon

(T)ool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,306 posts
  • Joined 14-July 03

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

I may have understated the situation. I have 3 trees on my property. 2 in the front and 1 in the back. None of the 3 are large trees. They are all quite a distance from any neighbor as we, fortunately, have a large lot. In the back, the neighbors on either side of me have many, many large trees. Many, tall and large trees. For whatever reason, the leaves from the neighbor to the north do not fall into my yard. However, on the other side, the leaves from about 10-15 very large trees completely cover that side of my yard. This isn't just a few leaves. They cover the yard to the point that it kills my grass. If I rake them today, they'll be back to the same extent in a couple of days. The back of his yard, where these trees are, is a wooded area so he doesn't care about the leaves on his side. Ironically, there are way more of his leaves in my yard than his. A large privacy fence is between the yards so I can't just move them to his yard. My house does not benefit from any shade from these trees. I get no benefit except for more leaves than there are stars in the sky. I owned a previous home where my leaves did go to the neighbor's yard and I raked them weekly. Thought it the responsible thing to do. It wouldn't be as big a deal except I am trying to get grass to grow in this area. Interestingly, but also irrelevent, is the fact that he plays for the other team and looks just like Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

None of that matters. He has no legal or neighborly responsibility to rake the leaves and he shouldn't even be bothered by it. In other words, you shouldn't even broach the subject with him.
Peace to you, my FFA brotha.

#49 =Smackdown=

=Smackdown=

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,082 posts
  • Joined 12-March 08

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

move

#50 EasyMorningRebel

EasyMorningRebel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

That changes everything...get a blower (and I don't mean one of his buddies).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users