What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Next Year's Top 10 WRs (1 Viewer)

Tango

Footballguy
My Projected 2011 Dyansty Top 10:

1. Roddy White- All pieces will be the same

2. Andre Johnson- Schaub and AJ have been locked up for years

3. Calvin Johnson- The offense is still shaking out a bit vs the two WRs ahead of him

4. D Jackson- Coming into his prime. Vick being there would be helpful, but Kolb ok too.

5. Boldin- Seems to own the #1 spot for a QB coming into his prime

6. Nicks- Will still have to share the ball

7. Wallace- With Ward fading out, Wallace should assert himself

8. Bryant- He's impossible to cover already; knocks Austin down to the Top 15

9. Wayne- His descent is underway

10 M Williams- Probably over-reaching here, but if Freeman moves to 25 TDs next year, Williams is likely to do well

Notable omissions: Marshall, Fitz, Lloyd, Jennings, R Moss, etc.

Where am I going wrong here? D Jackson too high? Boldin too high?

Until Mike Wallace can get off the line against press coverage he's going to be a one trick pony.

He's all straight line speed with no agility and he goes down on first contact.

Not even close to being able to run Ward's routes at this point.

Way too high.

Until Mike Wallace can get off the line against press coverage he's going to be a one trick pony.He's all straight line speed with no agility and he goes down on first contact.Not even close to being able to run Ward's routes at this point.Way too high.
Yeah, you're probably right on this one. They have a pass-catcher problem in PIT though; so Wallace should be well positioned for a good couple of years as next year's draft picks develop. I noticed a nice over the middle grab by him this week. You're right though, we need to see a little more of that before he gets Top 10 status.

For dynasty/large keeper (subject to change every other week, haha):

1.Calvin Johnson

2.Andre Johnson

3.Roddy White

4.Larry Fitzgerald

5.Brandon Marshall

6.Hakeem Nicks

7.Miles Austin

8.Dez Bryant

9.DeSean jackson

10.Reggie Wayne

For dynasty/large keeper (subject to change every other week, haha):1.Calvin Johnson2.Andre Johnson3.Roddy White4.Larry Fitzgerald5.Brandon Marshall6.Hakeem Nicks7.Miles Austin8.Dez Bryant9.DeSean jackson10.Reggie Wayne
No Boldin? Who will take his grabs away on the rising tide of Flacco's passing ability?

For dynasty/large keeper (subject to change every other week, haha):1.Calvin Johnson2.Andre Johnson3.Roddy White4.Larry Fitzgerald5.Brandon Marshall6.Hakeem Nicks7.Miles Austin8.Dez Bryant9.DeSean jackson10.Reggie Wayne
Nice list. Something has to give on Austin/Bryant tho. And age-wise, I knock Reggie Wayne down. Tampa Mike makes my top 10 for dynasty. At this point, if someone doesn't realize this kid is the goods, they have been ignoring Tampa. And fantasy-wise, Tampa is really, really promising.

No Boldin? Who will take his grabs away on the rising tide of Flacco's passing ability?
Yeah Boldin could sneak in maybe...it's close. An argument can be made for VJax and Crabtree, too. Maybe Jennings.To each his own. The top 3 are pretty set in stone though, imo.

They will never be a passing team, Boldin gets beat up, and the stories of Flacco airing it out this year were greatly exaggerated. Which one of those guys do you remove for Boldin?

I agree with your list, especially since i got both Calvin and Fitz on my dynasty team, lol. Here is my list:Andre JohnsonFitzCalvinWhiteMiles AustinDez BryantCrabtree :moneybag: HicksMike Williams (sea) :pickle: MarshallMost will think that I'm too high on Crabtree and Williams, but these are too very young WRs. Mike Williams, despite being out of the league for 2 years, is only 25 years old and is just coming to his own. He has incredible talent, some of the best hands you will ever see and Pete Caroll once said he was the best athlete he has ever seen. Crabtree is there based purely on talent. He is going to be an absolute stud WR. I'm not sure if i would even take Dez Bryant before him.

They will never be a passing team, Boldin gets beat up, and the stories of Flacco airing it out this year were greatly exaggerated. Which one of those guys do you remove for Boldin?
Their not the 58% run team from '08. They're now 50%-53% pass which isnt the Chargers or anything, but Top 10 seasons can be had when you combine the fact that Flacco is getting better and Boldin is clearly the best option.I take him over half the list as I see him around Top 5.

My Projected 2011 Dyansty Top 10:1. Roddy White- All pieces will be the same2. Andre Johnson- Schaub and AJ have been locked up for years3. Calvin Johnson- The offense is still shaking out a bit vs the two WRs ahead of him4. D Jackson- Coming into his prime. Vick being there would be helpful, but Kolb ok too.5. Boldin- Seems to own the #1 spot for a QB coming into his prime6. Nicks- Will still have to share the ball7. Wallace- With Ward fading out, Wallace should assert himself8. Bryant- He's impossible to cover already; knocks Austin down to the Top 159. Wayne- His descent is underway10 M Williams- Probably over-reaching here, but if Freeman moves to 25 TDs next year, Williams is likely to do wellNotable omissions: Marshall, Fitz, Lloyd, Jennings, R Moss, etc.Where am I going wrong here? D Jackson too high? Boldin too high?
1. Austin (how on earth can anyone leave him off completely? r u nuts?)2. CJ (back to elite)3. Hakeem Nicks (we haven't seen his ceiling)4. White5. AJ (Schaub seems to have fallen off a bit after his career year)6. Fitz (they get a better QB situation next year no matter what)7. Wayne (still has Peyton)8. Boldin (looking good)9. Bryant (stud in the making)10. DeSean Jackson (we still don't know who will be under center for the Eagles in 2011)notable omissions: Marhsall (system) Lloyd (just hard to believe) Moss (done) TO (gotta be done, right?)

No way am I putting DeSean in the top 10. He wasn't in my top 10 this year, either, but that's just me.

I think Nicks will definitely be a top 10, maybe even top 5, pick. AJ, Roddy White, Wayne and Calvin will remain top picks. Fitz, it depends on how his QB situation pans out, but he will probably still be a top 10 pick.

Dallas can support two top WR options imo. Williams and Dez have nearly 700 yards and 8 TDs in 7 games opposite Austin this year. Roy will be gone. Romo throws for 4500 yards and 30+ TDs. Wayne is too high at his age. Wallace is waaayyyyy too high. Crazy to have him over Austin, Marshall or fitz in a dynasty.

Here's a rough look at how my top 10 looks right now (although it is always subject to change):

1.) Calvin Johnson

2.) Andre Johnson

3.) Larry Fitzgerald

4.) Dez Bryant

5.) Roddy White

6.) Miles Austin

7.) DeSean Jackson

8.) Michael Crabtree

9.) Hakeem Nicks

10.) Brandon Marshall

My thoughts on my rankings...

- I think Calvin Johnson is #1 with a bullet and actually has some seperation between him and everyone else behind him (as crazy as that sounds). No other player can come close to matching his combination of age, physical measurements, and ability. The knock on him before this season was that he has only "done it" in one season and has somewhat dissapointed in others, but he is putting those concerns behind with what has the possibility to be a WR1 finish. I know it sounds blasphemous to say that he is head and shoulders ahead of Andre or Larry, but I truly believe that to be the case. He has performed much better than Fitz is on pace to this year in a situation that was as bad or worse than Larry's currently is (the 2008 season with Orlovsky, Culpepper, etc... throwing to him on a team that went 0-16) ) and now appears to have an up and coming offense that could put him in a situation as good or nearly as good as Andre sooner rather than later.

- Andre Johnson is a no brainer #2. Most will have him #1, but I think he clearly is behind Calvin due to Calvin's utter dominance in the red zone compared to Andre's general lack of red zone prowess. That being said, his talent is equal to or better than everyone else behind him and he has as good or better of a situation than everyone as well, meaning he is easy for me to rank #2.

- Larry Fitzgerald is still way too talented to rank lower than 3rd, no matter how shaky his short term situation is. Things can change too quickly. If Arizona signes even a mediocre to average veteran QB this offseason, I think we see a quick return to dominant production from Fitz.

- Dez Bryant at #4 will seem very high to people, but I am completely, totally, and unquestionably convinced that he is the goods and absolutely the real deal. I don't think it will take long for him to establish himself as the man and de facto top option in that offense. He is only behind Calvin in terms of his overall combination of measurements, talent, and situation (meaning that yes, he is equal to Andre and Fitz in those departments). He loses ground because he hasn't "proven it" yet, but I think that will change starting next year.

- Roddy White is another person that many are ranking as high as #1, but I just can't see that lofty of a placement. I fully expect this season to be his absolute career year (if he can maintain his pace). He is a great NFL receiver and very talented, but is not even in the same league as the 4 above him, at least from a talent standpoint. His ceiling over the longhaul is lower than all 4 players ranked above him, even if in certain individual seasons he outproduces them. Now having said that, I think he is as good (or better) than everyone ranked behind him and also is in a solid enough situation to put up very nice numbers for many years into the future.

- Miles Austin was a difficult player to rank. I feel like #6 is too low for him and could honestly see him being ranked as high as #2, but since I stated my belief that Dez will become "the man" on this offense, I can't place him higher. Having to share work with Dez absolutely does not preclude Austin from getting his or putting up very, very nice numbers, but I think it does place some sort of ceiling on his production that those ranked ahead of him don't have to worry about. Think Fitz and Boldin when both were with Arizona- Boldin was still a highly productive player and a very nice fantasy asset, but was always some sort of second fiddle to Fitz, almost always being outproduced by him. I see Dez as the Fitz and Austin as the Boldin in that Dallas offense.

- I think there is a very sharp drop to DeSean Jackson. I am not nearly as sold on him being an elite producer as I am on the other 6 players in front of him. I put DeSean at #7 because I have less concerns about his long term productivity than everyone else that is left, but I still don't love him. If I were placing value scores to players, I would have a steep decline from Austin's value score to DeSean's. However, he is electric with the ball in his hands, has unmatched big play ability, and has nice situation for the forseeable future, all of which should help him post respectable to very nice production for awhile.

- Michael Crabtree was another very difficult player to rank. I still absolutely love his talent, but have been concerned with some of the things that have come out about his attitude and work ethic. That being said, he's still very young (having basically only 1 full season of NFL games under his belt) and has all the tools to make himself into a very nice player in the NFL. I see a lot of people suddenly touting Nicks over him, but I think that would be a mistake and way too reactionary. Crabtree is still the more talented player, he is just being hurt by his own immaturity and a horrible situation and coaching staff. The first one of those is all on him to fix (and it is not a guarantee that he will), however the other two can easily be fixed and can turn around in the blink of an eye. I usually place my money on talent and assume otherwise smart kids will figure out immaturity issues, hence my decision to place my money on Crabtree over Nicks.

- As I stated in the previous paragraph, I feel Nicks is starting to be wildly overrated. I even feel reluctant to put him as high as #9, as I think MANY options behind him are as good and an equal case can be made for them (Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Wayne), but will give Nicks the benefit of the doubt considering his undeniable production so far this season and his nice measurables. I have not been overly impressed with how Nicks has looked when watching him play and he doesn't necessarily fully pass the "eye test" for me, so I am quicker to discount the touchdown production up to this point than others may be, but I still feel more comfortable with him here than anyone else and feel there are less causes for concern than other players.

- I think Brandon Marshall is widely overrated by an awful lot of people from a fantasy perspective, as he often gets top 6 billing. Perhaps it is because I don't ever particpate in PPR leagues, but I think that he is BARELY a top 10 receiver in terms of fantasy production. He is very talented, but is mired in what is a less than ideal situation with Miami, has never had a truly dominant season, and has an extreme amount of immaturity issues. I think a case can be made for a plethora of players behind him and gave strong consideration to putting Wayne here, but gave Marshall the nod due to age.

- Vincent Jackson misses the cut, but that is mostly due to an unclear situation. If he lands with a solid offense and a decent QB, I would probably feel comfortable putting him as high as #7. If he lands in a less than ideal situation, I think he is probably a high teen player (#11-#14).

- Reggie Wayne is a very difficult player to judge. He is aging, but also has the benefit of playing with the single best quarterback in the last 20 years in Peyton Manning (at least from a statistical perspective). This could very well extend his prime production years beyond where most players experience their sharp decline. I would have no problem with anyone that ranked Wayne as high as #8 and can't see him being lower than a high teen player (#11-#14).

- I have seen Anquan Boldin mentioned as a top 10 player several times in this thread and I don't think he has any business being there. He is beginning to have age concerns and I don't feel he can come close to matching most of the physical talents of the other top 10 players. He is far from a bad player, but his situation is not nearly as ideal as many and I can't see him being ranked any higher than #13 or #14.

- Greg Jennings is not a player I have ever been a big fan of. I don't think he comes close to the top 10 and actually expect his production to roughly maintain it's current level into the future, as I believe Finley is the top option on that offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redraft:

1. Andre Johnson- Have a running game and WRs & QB to keep him up here

2. DeSean Jackson - I value him here if Vick & Kolb are Eagles still, since a QB injury shouldn't hurt his production. Stat wise he should be in top 5.

3. Hakeem Nicks - Only thing that changes is Nicks is even more experienced.

4. Roddy White- would be #1 or #2 but I have concerns that Tony G may retire or decline further and I'm not convinced Douglas will take enough pressure off. Ryan improves.

5. Calvin Johnson- Top 5 is very tight. Burleson is young enough to keep his spot, but isn't going to improve where he frees up CJ more. Stafford, Best & Pettigrew are improving, QB lost a lot of playing experience this season though.

6. Reggie Wayne- Best WR & TE core, Best QB, running game that's just good enough to support the passing game.

7. Miles Austin - I don't see 2 Cowboys WRs in the top 10. Dez missed time with injury and with Romo out, trust will be stronger with Miles. New offense to be learned with coaching changes, team may end up focusing on the run, who knows.

8. Brandon Marshall - 8-10 feels like where the 2nd tier starts, WRs with big talent but not much help at TE or 2nd WR. Fins have a running game to keep people honest & Henne another yr of exp.

9. Larry Fitzgerald- Contingent on the Cards getting better QB by a vet or rookie. It may take more than a game manager to get Fitz back in top 10.

10. Anquan Boldin- Flacco gets better, running game is solid. Defense is weakening, Ravens have to score more. He could be up near #6 or #7, that's how close these guys are for me.

In no particular order those out of top 10:

Vincent Jackson - Could jump ahead of Fitz, if he goes to a good team. Could end up on the Raiders and his stats shrivel.

Mike Williams (Bucs) - Team is still really young a couple more years.

Randy Moss - Attitude and skills are declining. Could be top 10 if he gets in a place where he's happy, but who knows where he'll be happy.

Rice/Harvin - QB play doesn't get them in.

Lloyd- I think he's the next Antonio Bryant, has a huge year then disappoints the next.

Teams have had two top wideouts in the past, and certainly Dallas can with Romo

I really like what Mike Williams TB is doing in his rookie campaign. If Freeman comes through this guy is going to be ridiculous

Dallas can support two top WR options imo. Williams and Dez have nearly 700 yards and 8 TDs in 7 games opposite Austin this year. Roy will be gone. Romo throws for 4500 yards and 30+ TDs.
I wonder about this. If I put a WR in the top 10, I want as few questions as possible. And I worry about the disarray of the Cowboys. I am reading a lot of stuff that I have previously read about my team, the Raiders. Coaches that have lost the team, opponents saying the team quit, etc. No disrespect to the Jags, but when you are on the ropes, the Jags coming to town should be a welcome sight. We don't know who the coach is next year, but I assume it won't be Wade or Garrett, who both seem to be part of the problem. Will the new coach want to air it out? Will Romo even be there? I am not so sure he is untouchable, or a lock to continue to put up big numbers. Let's assume they right the ship a bit. Two top WRs is a tall order. Is Austin elite, or is he just very good, and the beneficiary of Roy Williams and Crayton being......well, who they are? If Dez is elite, and so far, so good, does Austin take a noticeable back seat to him? With both receivers, I worry about the state of the team, and each player cannibalizing each other's numbers, for lack of a better term.

Thoughts:

[*]Larry Fitzgerald is a brilliant talent, and AZ's horrific QB play this year is not an indicator of future success. AZ will surely improve that position in the offseason.

[*]People are giving up on Miles Austin far too quickly. Arizona supported Bolden and Fitz for years, and there's no reason to think that Dallas can't do the same with Bryant and Austin.

[*]I know that people are trying hard to keep DeSean Jackson off their top 10. But the fact is that Jackson finished as a top five WR in most fantasy leagues last year. I read several experts who thought that year was a fluke, and that Jackson was being overrated. But before his concussion, Jackson was still a top five fantasy WR. Now, if you think Jackson's body is too small and he'll be injured too often to be reliable, I understand. But don't forget that Marvin Harrison was only 185 pounds, and he was a perennial top five WR for years.

Pierre Garcon could find himself sniffing the top 10 next season. He's just getting better and better.
As a Pierre owner, I don't agree. He is still wildly inconsistent. He'll make amazing highlight reel grabs on one drive, and then drop two balls that hit him right in the hands the next. He's certainly got the potential, but I'm not sold on him long term in any way. I think if Manning someone leaves in the next year or two, his value plummets.

Thoughts:

[*]People are giving up on Miles Austin far too quickly. Arizona supported Bolden and Fitz for years, and there's no reason to think that Dallas can't do the same with Bryant and Austin.
But that was with Warner at the helm. Are you equating Romo to Warner? And Arizona had no real threat at TE and RB to take away touches, while Dallas has both and is considered to be a running team (at lest they are suposed to be). Somethings gotta give. As a Dez owner I hope so, but I am finding it hard to put both Bryant and Austin in the top ten. One sure, but which?

Thoughts:

[*]Larry Fitzgerald is a brilliant talent, and AZ's horrific QB play this year is not an indicator of future success. AZ will surely improve that position in the offseason.

[*]I know that people are trying hard to keep DeSean Jackson off their top 10. But the fact is that Jackson finished as a top five WR in most fantasy leagues last year. I read several experts who thought that year was a fluke, and that Jackson was being overrated. But before his concussion, Jackson was still a top five fantasy WR. Now, if you think Jackson's body is too small and he'll be injured too often to be reliable, I understand. But don't forget that Marvin Harrison was only 185 pounds, and he was a perennial top five WR for years.
Agree about Fitz. It would be concerning if they thought Max Hall shows enough, and he turns out to be Trent Edwards. Much better for fantasy owners if they pick up a vet. But until a better QB is there, you have to be concerned. I think there's a lot of reasons to think Dallas can't support two top WRs. I worry about that team.

Agree about DeSean. Tragically, I play with a bunch of South jersey guys, so he's not as undervalued as in the Shark Pool.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Roddy White

3. Andre Johnson

4. Miles Austin

5. Reggie Wayne

6. Hakeem Nicks

7. Brandon Marshall

8. Larry Fitzgerald

9. Dez Bryant

10. Sidney Rice

Thoughts:

But that was with Warner at the helm. Are you equating Romo to Warner? And Arizona had no real threat at TE and RB to take away touches, while Dallas has both and is considered to be a running team (at lest they are suposed to be). Somethings gotta give. As a Dez owner I hope so, but I am finding it hard to put both Bryant and Austin in the top ten. One sure, but which?
Do you know that Romo has outperformed Peyton Manning in fantasy points over the last two years? Don't undersell Romo. Dallas is not a running team. They have the talent to run well, but they are a passing team.

Thoughts:

Do you know that Romo has outperformed Peyton Manning in fantasy points over the last two years? Don't undersell Romo. Dallas is not a running team. They have the talent to run well, but they are a passing team.
I think it's more of a concern about, the number of extremely talented pass catchers, and the lack of balls to go around..Austin

Bryant

Roy W, has shown he can make an impact still in the RZ

Witten

Felix/Barber

That's a lot of talent, which all deserves some touches in the offense.

Thoughts:

Last 3 years Romo has thrown for roughly 4500 yards, a prorated 4300 yards and 4200 yards. Unless you think that changes with the talent they have at receiver, theres enough to support two guys. Figure Witten for 1000 yards and Miles and Dez for 2500 yards and theres still 800-1000 yards left over for a third WR and RBs etc.

ty247 said:
I think it's more of a concern about, the number of extremely talented pass catchers, and the lack of balls to go around..AustinBryantRoy W, has shown he can make an impact still in the RZWittenFelix/BarberThat's a lot of talent, which all deserves some touches in the offense.
I'm sorry but Roy Williams is almost a non-factor with both Bryant and Miles in, he is not talented. The guy has had one season over 1000 yds and thats with being the #1 WR in DET and shots at #1 in DAL. Lack of talent and a lazy work ethic often keeps him injured or unproductive.

Dazed and Confused said:
McNabb will be throwing to Fitzgerald next year, catapulting Fitz into top 5 again.
so instead of passes sailing over his head ... he will have them landing at his feet?

Touchdown Syndrome said:
For dynasty/large keeper (subject to change every other week, haha):

1.Calvin Johnson

2.Andre Johnson

3.Roddy White

4.Larry Fitzgerald

5.Brandon Marshall

6.Hakeem Nicks

7.Miles Austin

8.Dez Bryant

9.DeSean jackson

10.Reggie Wayne
:thumbup: I like your post the BEST!

Not a lot of Lloyd love here. No one thinks he can repeat this next year?
Top 10 next year? Nah, I don't think so. Will probably be undervalued next year, if his situation doesn't change, but still.....top 10? I don't have the guts to make that call.

Top 10 next year? Nah, I don't think so. Will probably be undervalued next year, if his situation doesn't change, but still.....top 10? I don't have the guts to make that call.
I am in your boat, Massraider. I look at this as a hiccup year for Lloyd (talent and opportunity meshed as everyone hoped for). While teams SHOULD be planning against him now, what happend when he become a true priority to gamplan against? My guess is that he falls to that 900 yard, 7 TD land (good enough to start each week, but if you draft him early, you lose). I almost equate it to the year Mush Muhammad had 1600 yards and 16 TDs...it was flat-out insane, but the fantasy world called it right when he went to Chicago (with arguably an equal QB at the time). He fell into that dreaded 800 yard 8 TD world yet the fantasy community got exactly what they bargained for because he was rarely selected in the top 10. I see the same for Lloyd; not only the drop in production, but the drop in selection too.

My biggest problem with Lloyd right now is that the team may have a new coach and, accordingly, a whole new identity next year. Lloyd hasnt built up enough stature to have me feel confident that he could withstand that sort of shakeout.

i cant tell if this is dynasty or 2011 list. for next yr, top picks is likely andre, unless stafford makes a nice improvement. so, if i had to draft now i would go:

andre

calvin

roddy

nicks

miles austin

wayne

fitz

brandon marshall

vincent jackson

brandon lloyd (why not)

wow lots of love for Dez...I like him but Austin is still Romo's guy. I see Austin top 5 and Dez around #15....dont think Dallas can support 2 top 10 WRs

I honestly don't see how Dez Bryant can be on any of these list. He has the talent, Maybe. Not the production.
We're in week 8 of his rookie year. He wasn't allowed to play most of last year at OSU, yet he's the #22 WR in my leagues. The production is there enough to make him a top 10 next year and there's no "maybe" about his talent.

Users who are viewing this thread