Photo

What size baseball bat for a 6 year old?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 shuke

shuke

Black Ice Skeptic

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 60,127 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Soap fusion.

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

Santa is curious. My son just turned 6, and he wants to play little league in the spring. He has a glove, and he needs a ball and bat for some backyard practice. By the way, for 6 year olds, it's not tee-ball, but "machine pitch". I've never heard of this before.
Owning Capella in fantasy sports since 2003.
Owning Otis in werewolf since 2010.

I hate signatures, but love irony.

#2 RudiStein

RudiStein

*Not really a bail bondsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,128 posts
  • Joined 26-June 07
  • Interests:All I care about is Muppets

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

You've never heard of a pitching machine?

Why? Because I'm an idiot on a messageboard?

Neature

#3 Frostillicus

Frostillicus

Bad Manager

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,844 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

Santa is curious. My son just turned 6, and he wants to play little league in the spring. He has a glove, and he needs a ball and bat for some backyard practice. By the way, for 6 year olds, it's not tee-ball, but "machine pitch". I've never heard of this before.

I think you missed tee-ball. If I recall tee ball is for 4-5 year olds.

Enemies List:
Wisconsin
Rudy
Jon Rauch
Coldplay
Bread-and-butter pickles

Marv's Trailers

Lance Briggs

YSR

#4 DevilsTrifecta

DevilsTrifecta

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

How tall and how much does he weigh?

Nice chart here: http://www.baseballc...om/batguide.asp

#5 Megla

Megla

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Joined 03-March 06

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:28 PM

A 26" 14oz or 27" 15oz

#6 shuke

shuke

Black Ice Skeptic

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 60,127 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Soap fusion.

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

:lmao: I meant, not for a league like this.
Owning Capella in fantasy sports since 2003.
Owning Otis in werewolf since 2010.

I hate signatures, but love irony.

#7 Eric Stratton

Eric Stratton

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

A tee is also good for the backyard for practice and you can you whiffle balls as an option. The tee work will help his swing to prepare for seeing a pitched ball.

#8 EasyMorningRebel

EasyMorningRebel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

Better never to have heard of a pitching maching than to date a girl you later find out goes by the catching machine (in certain circles). :lmao:

#9 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,425 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

Light as you can get it. -11 if allowed. If the bat swings him and not vice versa it's too heavy.
"Gambling is illegal at Bushwood, sir, and I never slice".

#10 Raiderfan32904

Raiderfan32904

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,936 posts
  • Joined 29-August 09

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Bumping this thread for t-ball advice for a 5 yo boy. And yes, I am total nuub and don't know what I'm doing.

lightweight bat....check
batting helmet.....check
cleats.............check
uniform............check (he got traded from the Red Sox to the Rays! :thumbup: ) so Navy/light blue unis.

Now the tough part, the glove. He eats with his left, writes with his left, fields with his right and then takes off glove and throws with the left, swings from either side of the plate. I can't figure out which glove to buy him.

Any advice? TIA

#11 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,837 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Bumping this thread for t-ball advice for a 5 yo boy. And yes, I am total nuub and don't know what I'm doing.

lightweight bat....check
batting helmet.....check
cleats.............check
uniform............check (he got traded from the Red Sox to the Rays! :thumbup: ) so Navy/light blue unis.

Now the tough part, the glove. He eats with his left, writes with his left, fields with his right and then takes off glove and throws with the left, swings from either side of the plate. I can't figure out which glove to buy him.

Any advice? TIA

If he's throwing with his left then stay with that and buy him a lefty glove and have him learn that way.

#12 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,329 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08
  • Interests:Cooking, grilling, Clemson Athletics, beer, bourbon, reading, toga parties. Bullfrogs.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

lightweight bat....check
batting helmet.....check
cleats.............check

Any advice? TIA

If he's throwing with his left then stay with that and buy him a lefty glove and have him learn that way.

SWITCH HITTING LEFTY? YOU BETCHA

#13 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,019 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

lightweight bat....check
batting helmet.....check
cleats.............check

Any advice? TIA

My daughter is 6 and still isn't sure. If he writes left I would stick with that but an easy test is this.

Put a ball on the ground and ask him to pick it up and throw it. Have him do it a couple times, don't set him into realizing what is going on just some random time. More than likely he will pick up and throw it with the hand he is more comfortable with. Of course my daughter was 50/50 :rant:

To me it sounds like you should buy him a left mitt. (which means it goes on your right hand) :P

trys

#14 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,837 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

lightweight bat....check
batting helmet.....check
cleats.............check

Any advice? TIA

My daughter is 6 and still isn't sure. If he writes left I would stick with that but an easy test is this.

Put a ball on the ground and ask him to pick it up and throw it. Have him do it a couple times, don't set him into realizing what is going on just some random time. More than likely he will pick up and throw it with the hand he is more comfortable with. Of course my daughter was 50/50 :rant:

To me it sounds like you should buy him a left mitt. (which means it goes on your right hand) :P

If your daughter is fast and interested you're going to want to encourage the lefty side of her...especially batting. The older they get the more slapping and small ball comes into play. FWIW I've been coaching softball for my daughter's team for 7 years now (She's 13).

#15 Raiderfan32904

Raiderfan32904

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,936 posts
  • Joined 29-August 09

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

lightweight bat....check
batting helmet.....check
cleats.............check

Any advice? TIA

:thumbup: Thx...

I also have a 10 yo daughter who is all lefty, and she wants to play softball too. Lefties never ran in my family or my wife's family. How'd we get 2 out of 4 of our kids lefties is bizarre. Is there a statsitical probability for that? We really don't know about our 3 mo old yet, (could be 3 lefties). Anyway, my boy is tough to figure. I think I'll try that roll the ball on the ground test when I get home. Lotta practice to do.

#16 Charlie Steiner

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Joined 19-December 05

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

BTW, :thumbup: on getting him his own helmet, we never considered that when my sons played, but it now seems like it should be a no-brainer.
Follow me! Follow me TO FREEDOM!!!

#17 California

California

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 527 posts
  • Joined 24-August 09

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

lightweight bat....check
batting helmet.....check
cleats.............check

Any advice? TIA

Definitely buy him a left handed glove. I speak from experience as I went through the same thing. My left hand was more dominant so I wanted to catch and throw with the same hand. It took me awhile to get use to catching with my right hand (left handed glove) but it was the right call.

I spent two years in little league playing infield as a righty. My fielding was great but my throws were all over the place. My coaches just chalked it up to youth and figured I'd learn how to throw eventually. My 3rd year coach (who was a lefty) bought me a new lefty glove and it was like night and day. I had to work on fielding again but the ball actually went where I wanted it to. Thanks Coach Williams!

#18 Raiderfan32904

Raiderfan32904

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,936 posts
  • Joined 29-August 09

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

:thumbup: to all the good advice in this thread. I still feel very sheepish approaching the diamond and seeing the veteran dad's (with a clue) out there coaching up their sons. My boy's enthusiasm to play teeball is contagious though.

#19 Godsbrother

Godsbrother

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,050 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Take him to the sporting goods store and have him take some swings with the bat. A good test is to have him take a normal swing and then ask him to stop mid way through. If he can't then the bat is too heavy and select a different one. Bat speed is the most critical thing -- you want him to be swinging the bat, not the bat swinging him.

#20 Charlie Steiner

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Joined 19-December 05

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

:thumbup: to all the good advice in this thread. I still feel very sheepish approaching the diamond and seeing the veteran dad's (with a clue) out there coaching up their sons. My boy's enthusiasm to play teeball is contagious though.

I felt similarly when my kids started with tee-ball, and now that it's 10 years since my oldest played, I can say that keeping it fun is the ONLY priority right now, "real" baseball is still several years away for him.

#21 tommyboy

tommyboy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,953 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:#542

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

32-34" Easton should be big enough to handle a 6 yr old.

#22 Charlie Steiner

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Joined 19-December 05

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Take him to the sporting goods store and have him take some swings with the bat. A good test is to have him take a normal swing and then ask him to stop mid way through. If he can't then the bat is too heavy and select a different one. Bat speed is the most critical thing -- you want him to be swinging the bat, not the bat swinging him.

Another test we heard about was to have the player hold the bat in one hand, raise it to his side so that it's parallel to the ground, and be able to hold it there for ~10 seconds. If he/she can't, it's too heavy.

Edited by Charlie Steiner, 13 February 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#23 The Gator

The Gator

Hey, watch this!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,074 posts
  • Joined 10-November 05

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

Take him to the sporting goods store and have him take some swings with the bat. A good test is to have him take a normal swing and then ask him to stop mid way through. If he can't then the bat is too heavy and select a different one.

Bat speed is the most critical thing -- you want him to be swinging the bat, not the bat swinging him.

Another test we heard about was to have the player hold the bat in one hand, raise it to his side so that it's parallel to the ground, and be able to hold it there for ~10 seconds. If he/she can't, it's too heavy.

This

:thome:

I will say this, as a Spurs fan, I would rather Liverpool get Balotelli than Falcao.

Love this move.  Love it.

#24 texasheat

texasheat

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Joined 04-August 04

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Feed this as much as you can before his enthusiasm to sit on the couch and play video games takes over.

#25 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,019 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Don't sweat it... as long as you are not a "know it all blowhard" who knows nothing you are fine. My biggest issue was going from playing, to managing Senior League baseball (15-16) year olds for 5 years, to nothing for 10 years, to tee ball softball. Biggest thing is to get them the basics without overloading them and being too technical

Edited by belljr, 13 February 2012 - 12:43 PM.

trys

#26 D in the D

D in the D

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-July 11

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

:thome:

Whatever you do, dont buy the kid a Buzz Lightyear bat...he'll be laughed out of teeball.
To be the Man, you gotta beat the Man.

#27 Senor Schmutzig

Senor Schmutzig

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Joined 16-March 05

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have also read that you can determine if a bat is too heavy for a child by having him hold the bat straight out in front of him with his hand wrapped around the bottom. If he can't hold it up at a 90 degree angle to the ground, it's too heavy. edit: Already covered, but I third it!

Edited by Senor Schmutzig, 13 February 2012 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users