Photo

The Seahawk Fan Conundrum (to everyone)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer if your team were 7-9 like the Seahawks?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 QuizGuy66

QuizGuy66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,832 posts
  • Joined 15-August 03

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

Pretty simple premise. Imagine you are a Seahawk fan (unless of course you ARE a Seahawk fan). Would you rather your team make the playoffs at 7-9, even though they'll be a prohibitive underdog to as much as win 1 game. Or, would you rather finish 6-10 and have a top-10 draft choice? This is a generic question, that is don't take into account the actual Seahawks personnel situation when answering. Curious what FBGs think. -QG

#2 Breesisdaman

Breesisdaman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Joined 03-November 07

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

" You play to win the game" Of coarse its all about the playoffs.

#3 gheemony

gheemony

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Joined 16-August 06

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Chip and a chair. Any given Sunday. The Arizona Cardinals (then proclaimed the worst playoff team in history) were a few plays away from a Super Bowl. A puncher's chance. Compared to: Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire, Koren Robinson There is no guarantee that the high draft pick will be good or result in what the Seahawks have today: a spot in the tournament. The playoff berth is worth it just to get the fan-base enthused and believing in Schneider and Carroll.

#4 Hipple, Long, Ware, & Peete

Hipple, Long, Ware, & Peete

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,691 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

my teams sucks. next to no chance to win it all. I'm taking the 10 slot jump in every round. Even if they manage to win the WC game (they won't) they get CREAMED in the next round. Thats not worth a substantial jump in draft pick slottage.
"And freedom yells, it don't cry, whatever sells will decide, but there's no hell, when you die, so don't look so worried" Conner Oberst aka 'Bright Eyes' 'Light Pollution'

Matthias' "I also think that the whole, "hate the sin, love the sinner" is pretty condascending. If I told people who believe in religion, that hey, I hate the idiocy, but I love the idiots, they'd think I was a righteous doosh."
'TexanFan02 "Disclaimer: I am not defending or agreeing with Hipple in any way, shape or form. I agree that his posts are largely unreadable and his advice is suspect on any subject."
Jobber "I don't care what anyone says, the above is true and correct. There is no arguing. If you think differently you're a #######"
commisholio "Hippling is when you come into a thread that's been going for a while and start responding to posts early in the thread, typically serially. A good Hippling™ will typically involve 5-7 posts in a row, all responding to things that have been discussed and from which everyone has moved on. Hipple is the master of the craft, Krista4 has also benn known to engage in a good Hippling™."

#5 Mr. Retukes

Mr. Retukes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,680 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

I'll take the 7-9 team simply because I know they'd screw up a top-10 pick. This way they're more likely to get a solid-if-unspectacular player and also save some money in the process.

#6 Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,039 posts
  • Joined 21-December 04

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

I'd rather be in the playoffs. Although it's highly improbable that they advance past the first round, stranger things have happened. A top ten pick in the draft is no guarantee.

#7 QuizGuy66

QuizGuy66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,832 posts
  • Joined 15-August 03

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

I'll take the 7-9 team simply because I know they'd screw up a top-10 pick. This way they're more likely to get a solid-if-unspectacular player and also save some money in the process.

Many a competent franchise has thrown a 7-9 out there now and again. -QG

#8 Bogart

Bogart

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,851 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

You always want to be in the playoffs. Always. Having that game at home is just icing on the cake.

#9 Fennis

Fennis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31,784 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

playoffs. the difference in the pick doesn't matter.

#10 Neil Beaufort Zod

Neil Beaufort Zod

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,850 posts
  • Joined 02-July 06

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

Not sure why people wouldn't choose a guaranteed playoff berth over what you might get with better draft positioning. If you have a spot in the playoffs, you take it. Yes, I think the clock is ticking on their season. But the Saints could definitely lose on the road. If the Packers beat the Eagles (definitely possible) the Seahawks would then go to Chicago. I'm not a huge believer in Chicago; they could serve up enough turnovers to lose that game. Now, could the Packers go to Atlanta and win? I think they could. That would put the conference championship game in Seattle. I'm not putting money on that scenario, but it's not so implausible that the Seahawks would be better off with a higher draft pick. Anything can happen. Edit: The only time I can think it *might* benefit a team to not make the playoffs is if a dominant team lost a ton of important players (Brady, BJGE, Woodhead, Branch and Welker let's say) to injury and limped into the post-season with backups, so they could address other needs for when their guys heal up. But even then, you'd still want to try to win four games in a row and claim the title. Brady was the backup at one time and that worked out pretty well. No, I think you always choose the playoff spot. There are only six available in your conference. That's always better than a higher draft pick imo.

Edited by Neil Beaufort Zod, 02 January 2011 - 10:22 PM.

Now I have something to add here: Co-champion of the 2009 Shark Pool Survivor Contest!

#11 Fensalk

Fensalk

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,789 posts
  • Joined 09-March 04

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

I'll take the playoffs. Its not your slot in the draft that matters, its who is evaluating the talent available and who is making the picks.
Pickles

Roberts is a Supreme Court justice, not a politician.

The biggest example of trickle-down economics is in the decision to make internet commerce largely tax-free. That encouraged the wild growth of internet commerce, which has led to lower and middle class people gaining unheard of access to products and services on the web at reduced costs.

#12 xfactor99

xfactor99

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 29-December 04
  • Interests:Watching the 49ers suck

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

Niners/Seahawks/Rams fans have been asking themselves this for weeks, and I think the general consensus is that the playoffs would be better.

#13 TenTimes

TenTimes

Backhoe Operator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,153 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

my teams sucks. next to no chance to win it all. I'm taking the 10 slot jump in every round. Even if they manage to win the WC game (they won't) they get CREAMED in the next round. Thats not worth a substantial jump in draft pick slottage.

Couldn't agree less, but you're a Lion fan so I don't hold it against you that you don't know what a home playoff game feels like. As far as the pick vs. playoffs... not even in the same ballpark. So we either get a crapshoot rookie who is 10 slots better, or we get playoff experience for both the players and the fans, ticket sales, and the only NFL game on national TV at its given time for a 2nd straight week. No offense, but how is this even a question??

#14 TenTimes

TenTimes

Backhoe Operator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,153 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

Not sure why people wouldn't choose a guaranteed playoff berth over what you might get with better draft positioning. If you have a spot in the playoffs, you take it. Yes, I think the clock is ticking on their season. But the Saints could definitely lose on the road. If the Packers beat the Eagles (definitely possible) the Seahawks would then go to Chicago. I'm not a huge believer in Chicago; they could serve up enough turnovers to lose that game. Now, could the Packers go to Atlanta and win? I think they could. That would put the conference championship game in Searle. I'm not putting money on that scenario, but it's not so implausible that the Seahawks would be better off with a higher draft pick. Anything can happen. Edit: The only time I can think it *might* benefit a team to not make the playoffs is if a dominant team lost a ton of important players (Brady, BJGE, Woodhead, Branch and Welker let's say) to injury and limped into the post-season with backups, so they could address other needs for when their guys heal up. But even then, you'd still want to try to win four games in a row and claim the title. Brady was the backup at one time and that worked out pretty well. No, I think you always choose the playoff spot. There are only six available in your conference. That's always better than a higher draft pick imo.

Great post. Seattle will make New Orleans play a great game to win, that's a given. QWEST Field can be brutal to opposing teams, and the playoffs is when it is at it's worst. And they've already beaten the Bears once this season, in Chicago. They are still a longshot, but the Seahawks won't go quietly like people are expecting.

#15 Wu-banger

Wu-banger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,804 posts
  • Joined 03-November 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:39 AM

who cares what the record is..... bottom line The 2010 Seattle Seahawks are the NFC West Champs and hosting a playoff game..... I'll take my team doing that any year over the #8 pick.

#16 FUBAR

FUBAR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,765 posts
  • Joined 15-October 05

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

who cares what the record is..... bottom line

The 2010 Seattle Seahawks are the NFC West Champs and hosting a playoff game..... I'll take my team doing that any year over the #8 pick.

I realize that isn't in the poll but it's the right answer. Playoffs are great even as a one and done, but a division championship is forever.

2014 Race Schedule:

March 15: Instant Classic Marathon (Trail) http://www.instantcl...ctrailrace.com/  3:54  11 / 94

May 4: All American Marathon: http://www.fortbragg...ericanmarathon/ 3:28  45 / 768

June 1: Raleigh 70.3 (Triathlon) http://ironmanraleigh.com/ 5:21  347 / 2069

June 21: Survival Sprint (Mud / Adventure Run) https://www.survivalsprint.com/

July 27: The Big Deuce (2 Mile open water swim)  http://www.triangleo.../littleuno.html  01:08:21  59 / 88

September 6: White Lakes International (Triathlon) https://www.facebook...84709708/?ref=5   2:39:45  36/198

September 20: Maryland Ironman / 140.6 (Triathlon) http://www.ironman.c...x#axzz32wdiXe52  11:05:40  212/1492

October 25: Beach2Battleship  (Swim leg of 140.6 Relay) http://beach2battleship.com/ 

November 7: Fort Bragg 10 Miler (Run)  http://www.fortbragg...r/raceinfo.html

November 15: Raven Rock Rumble (Trail 10 Mile Run): http://ravenrockrumble.com/ 

2015 Race Schedule:

January 31: Fat ### 50k: http://www.etinterne...ike/ncfa50k.htm 

March 22: All American Half-Marathon: http://www.fortbragg...ericanmarathon/ 

May 31: Raleigh 70.3 (Triathlon) http://www.ironman.c....3/raleigh.aspx  

​September 27: Chattanooga Ironman / 140.6 (Triathlon) http://www.ironman.c...hattanooga.aspx 

#17 SWC

SWC

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Joined 09-October 05

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:20 AM

The 2010 Seattle Seahawks are the NFC West Champs and hosting a playoff game..... I'll take my team doing that any year over the #8 pick.

I realize that isn't in the poll but it's the right answer. Playoffs are great even as a one and done, but a division championship is forever.

i guess but its like being the toughest guy on your block when the other dudes on your block are a guy with one arm who has some type of problem with that arm so that it doesnt work right and a pacifist sholin monk who wont fight as good as the guys on deadliest warrior and four blue crabs from deadliest catch who have been out of the water and are dead because you live in the bad part of a middle america city where there is no ocean to speak of yep you might be the toughtest guy on the block but man it wasn't much of a contest and its sort of like that for seatlle

#18 Maroney=Speed

Maroney=Speed

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,290 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:41 AM

i guess but its like being the toughest guy on your block when the other dudes on your block are a guy with one arm who has some type of problem with that arm so that it doesnt work right and a pacifist sholin monk who wont fight as good as the guys on deadliest warrior and four blue crabs from deadliest catch who have been out of the water and are dead because you live in the bad part of a middle america city where there is no ocean to speak of yep you might be the toughtest guy on the block but man it wasn't much of a contest and its sort of like that for seatlle

You forgot:

1. The tough guy from middle america city, has to come to your block to play the game.
2. The one arm guy will be clapping for you to win, you may not hear it but it's there.
3. Your rules, your the Home team. Sorry forgot it's Seattle, they will get ripped off on another bad call against them.
I play for money, not for pride.
AFFL 2009,2010,2011,2012

#19 BobbyLayne

BobbyLayne

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,360 posts
  • Joined 21-November 07

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

Couldn't agree less, but you're a Lion fan so I don't hold it against you that you don't know what a home playoff game feels like. As far as the pick vs. playoffs... not even in the same ballpark. So we either get a crapshoot rookie who is 10 slots better, or we get playoff experience for both the players and the fans, ticket sales, and the only NFL game on national TV at its given time for a 2nd straight week. No offense, but how is this even a question??

It's called a conditioned response, TenTimes. While its the incorrect answer, the source of it is a decade without a playoff birth, more than a half century without a championship.

Tom Ricketts, a member of the family that owns the Chicago Cubs is often approached by elderly fans who ask, “Will the Cubs win the World Series before I die?”

His reply? “Are you taking good care of yourself? Do you eat right? Are you getting your exercise?”

#20 Sudsy

Sudsy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 547 posts
  • Joined 10-July 07

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:01 AM

Few teams get to be a trivia answer. In the future, when people ask about the worst team to ever suck its way into the playoffs, the answer will be the Seahawks. Now that is immortality.
Sudsy knows Phil, and you sir are no Phil.

#21 matuski

matuski

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,381 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05
  • Interests:killing threads

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:06 AM

More specifically a HOME game in the playoffs. No brainer.

#22 patrickmcgroin

patrickmcgroin

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,827 posts
  • Joined 16-January 06

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

Few teams get to be a trivia answer. In the future, when people ask about the worst team to ever suck its way into the playoffs, the answer will be the Seahawks. Now that is immortality.

You probably just "keerocked" them into the superbowl !

#23 comfortably numb

comfortably numb

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,596 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

More specifically a HOME game in the playoffs. No brainer.

:goodposting: Anyone have an idea what revenue is brought in for a home playoff game? TV ticket sales concessions etc...

#24 seahawk 17

seahawk 17

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Joined 16-May 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:12 AM

Playoff experiance for an entire team is more valuable than a low draft pick.

Sorry if you think I was faking it. I couldn't find my linkey.
It's not like I threw a pint of microwaved yogurt on your naked back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#25 indyram96

indyram96

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:12 AM

Chip and a chair. Any given Sunday. The Arizona Cardinals (then proclaimed the worst playoff team in history) were a few plays away from a Super Bowl. A puncher's chance. Compared to: Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire, Koren Robinson There is no guarantee that the high draft pick will be good or result in what the Seahawks have today: a spot in the tournament. The playoff berth is worth it just to get the fan-base enthused and believing in Schneider and Carroll.

:goodposting: The year the Colts won the Super Bowl they were getting pounded by everyones running game Then they got it together, stopped the run, got their own running game going and won it all.

#26 FUBAR

FUBAR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,765 posts
  • Joined 15-October 05

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

The funny thing is, they might just beat the tough guy from New Orleans. Of course it's unlikely, but at least they have a chance. Besides, the #8 pick isn't neccessarily better than whatever pick they'll get.

Only problem with this is the Seahawks are limping into the playoffs.

2014 Race Schedule:

March 15: Instant Classic Marathon (Trail) http://www.instantcl...ctrailrace.com/  3:54  11 / 94

May 4: All American Marathon: http://www.fortbragg...ericanmarathon/ 3:28  45 / 768

July 27: The Big Deuce (2 Mile open water swim)  http://www.triangleo.../littleuno.html  01:08:21  59 / 88

September 6: White Lakes International (Triathlon) https://www.facebook...84709708/?ref=5   2:39:45  36/198

September 20: Maryland Ironman / 140.6 (Triathlon) http://www.ironman.c...x#axzz32wdiXe52  11:05:40  212/1492

October 25: Beach2Battleship  (Swim leg of 140.6 Relay) http://beach2battleship.com/ 

2015 Race Schedule:

​September 27: Chattanooga Ironman / 140.6 (Triathlon) http://www.ironman.c...hattanooga.aspx 

#27 Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,981 posts
  • Joined 18-July 07

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

Better value later in the first round - player contribution v. salary.

#28 Traders2001

Traders2001

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,311 posts
  • Joined 19-July 03
  • Interests:Fantasy Football and Golf.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:31 AM

If the Rams were better they would be in ... The Hawks are the best team in the NFC west and deserve to be there, if their OL can play a good game they have a chance... Ill take the playoffs and the chance to win it all ( Not a high probability but if your not in you have no chance , so better be in )

#29 Traders2001

Traders2001

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,311 posts
  • Joined 19-July 03
  • Interests:Fantasy Football and Golf.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:34 AM

:goodposting: The year the Colts won the Super Bowl they were getting pounded by everyones running game Then they got it together, stopped the run, got their own running game going and won it all.

But they had P Manning - R Wayne - M Harrison - D Clark etc etc ... But the Hawks are in they have a chance..

#30 Bri

Bri

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36,642 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

the best teams never seem to care what spot they pick.

Twitter Formerly of USAToday, owner of FootballHangout. Creator of Mock Draft Simulator app on Google Play Store.

#31 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

I believe they'll still get the pick of a 7-9 team (ahead of Tb and NYG :lmao:), unless they make it to the SB so it's not that big of a drop. Like someone said in the Seahawks message board, you don't get to raise a banner at the stadium for a better draft pick. Plus with Carroll's wheeling and dealing style I think they'll get the guy they want no matter what. Maybe it would be a different feeling if it wasn't a division game, win and you're in at home. But I can't fathom being happy about losing the division to a rival at home. Period.

Edited by mad sweeney, 03 January 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#32 QuizGuy66

QuizGuy66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,832 posts
  • Joined 15-August 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

I believe they'll still get the pick of a 7-9 team (ahead of Tb and NYG :confused:), unless they make it to the SB so it's not that big of a drop. Like someone said in the Seahawks message board, you don't get to raise a banner at the stadium for a better draft pick. Plus with Carroll's wheeling and dealing style I think they'll get the guy they want no matter what. Maybe it would be a different feeling if it wasn't a division game, win and you're in at home. But I can't fathom being happy about losing the division to a rival at home. Period.

That's not true. The best they can pick now is #21. Teams get assigned picks based on the round they go out in the playoffs. It was changed to this a few years ago. -QG

#33 Big_Russel

Big_Russel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,933 posts
  • Joined 14-January 08

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

How does something like this even cross a fans mind? OF COARSE IT'S THE PLAY-OFF'S!! You got a ticket to the dance. Anything can happen. The Pats might get K.O'd in the d round... The Saints might get #####slapped by Seattle. Any given Sunday baby! You never know how the cards will fall.
Carver is on vacation. But if he were here, the above is what he would have to say about this.

Cartel guy: Don't try to pull that Keyser Soze ##### on me Walter White. I know you're not a retaard.
Walt Jr: {Chewbacca roar}

I could build a wrong machine powered by concentrated wrongness and it couldn't match the consistency that LHUCKS displays on these boards.

#34 ThePittbully

ThePittbully

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,085 posts
  • Joined 09-June 06
  • Interests:MMA & Fantasy Football

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

If Im a Seattle fan, I want the draft spot. I know, I know Any Give Sunday and all that, and that's great but let's be real. Hawks are playing the Saints, they already destroyed them once and everyone knows its pretty likely they won't do any better this time around. Is it really worth 10 draft spots to get your @## handed to you in front of the whole country?
TWO DAT!

#35 FUBAR

FUBAR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,765 posts
  • Joined 15-October 05

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

If Im a Seattle fan, I want the draft spot. I know, I know Any Give Sunday and all that, and that's great but let's be real. Hawks are playing the Saints, they already destroyed them once and everyone knows its pretty likely they won't do any better this time around. Is it really worth 10 draft spots to get your @## handed to you in front of the whole country?

What do those 10 spots really do for you? They would have had the 8th pick, now the 21st if they lose to the Saints? 2010 - McClain vs. Gresham 2009 - Monroe vs. Mack 2008 - D.Harvey vs. Sam Baker 2007 - J.Anderson vs. R. Nelson 2006 - Whitner vs. Maroney 2005 - Rolle vs. Matt Jones (Okay, maybe it does) 2004 - D. Hall vs. Wilfork 2003 - Gross vs. Faine 2002 - Roy Williams (DB) vs. D. Graham 2001 - D.Terrell vs. Clements :lmao: I'll take the playoff game and the 10 players picked at 1.21 instead of the 8 pick.

2014 Race Schedule:

2015 Race Schedule:

#36 proninja

proninja

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,713 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

There is no conundrum for a Seahawks fan. There may be a conundrum for a Seattle resident.

#37 SWC

SWC

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Joined 09-October 05

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

i think the nfl should institute a rule that if you make the playoffs with a losing record you should have to share the extra revenue associated with having a playoff game with every team in your conference that had a better record but didnt make the playoffs because you were lucky enough to stink up the joint slightly less than the other teams in a crappy division because man teams like that should be at home watching and not playing and i dont even care if they have a fancy roof that moves

#38 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

Yes. The Pats, Colts, Chargers etc have all done pretty well without picking in the top 2/3 of the draft for a long time, conversely the Rams and Lions haven't turned their teams around with a #9 pick. I'm not comparing the Seahawks to those teams but playoff experience for a new coach and some young players is very valuable and there's plenty of talent to pick in the later slots, especially for a FO willing to wheel and deal. Six of one, half dozen of another.

#39 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

i think the nfl should institute a rule that if you make the playoffs with a losing record you should have to share the extra revenue associated with having a playoff game with every team in your conference that had a better record but didnt make the playoffs because you were lucky enough to stink up the joint slightly less than the other teams in a crappy division because man teams like that should be at home watching and not playing and i dont even care if they have a fancy roof that moves

Seattle doesn't.

Where was all this talk when teams won their division and hosted a team with a better record in wildcard games? It's happened once, not likely to happen again for another 70 years.

#40 Go deep

Go deep

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Joined 27-April 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

As a Bills fan this choice is easy. I would take the playoff spot and a pick outside the top 10. Had this happened a couple years ago maybe we would have gotten Clay Mathews or Michael Oher instead of Aaron Maybin.

#41 proninja

proninja

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,713 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

Have you posted under another name here? You remind me of someone else. Someone who made up really dumb rules.

#42 chihawk

chihawk

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 725 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

As a Seahawk fan I definitely want the playoff spot over the draft position. Last year I was torn about them winning their last game when it didn't mean anything and would just worsen their draft position, but getting into the playoffs is more important for the organization, it's young developing players, and the fan base. While the Seahawks obviously is not a great team and I don't expect them to beat the Saints, don't forget that the NFC champ has won their first playoff game the last five years...two of them going to the super bowl. 2009: Cardinals (10-5) beat Packers (11-5) and lost to saints (13-3) 2008: Cardinals (9-7) beat Falcons (11-5), Panthers (12-4), Eagles (9-6-1), and lost to Steelers in Super Bowl 2007: Seahawks (10-6) beat Redskins (9-7) and lost to Packers (13-3) 2006: Seahawks (9-7) beat Cowboys (9-7) and lost to Bears in OT (13-3) 2005: Seahawks (13-3) had 1st round bye and beat Redkskins (10-6), Panthers (11-5), and lost to Steelers in Super Bowl

#43 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

As a Seahawk fan I definitely want the playoff spot over the draft position. Last year I was torn about them winning their last game when it didn't mean anything and would just worsen their draft position, but getting into the playoffs is more important for the organization, it's young developing players, and the fan base. While the Seahawks obviously is not a great team and I don't expect them to beat the Saints, don't forget that the NFC champ has won their first playoff game the last five years...two of them going to the super bowl. 2009: Cardinals (10-5) beat Packers (11-5) and lost to saints (13-3) 2008: Cardinals (9-7) beat Falcons (11-5), Panthers (12-4), Eagles (9-6-1), and lost to Steelers in Super Bowl 2007: Seahawks (10-6) beat Redskins (9-7) and lost to Packers (13-3) 2006: Seahawks (9-7) beat Cowboys (9-7) and lost to Bears in OT (13-3) 2005: Seahawks (13-3) had 1st round bye and beat Redkskins (10-6), Panthers (11-5), and lost to Steelers in Super Bowl

In 2004 the Rams beat Seattle in Seattle in the wildcard game, so there's been an NFCW team in the second round of playoffs for the last 6 years.

#44 QuizGuy66

QuizGuy66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,832 posts
  • Joined 15-August 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

Seattle doesn't.

Where was all this talk when teams won their division and hosted a team with a better record in wildcard games? It's happened once, not likely to happen again for another 70 1 years.

Fixed :lmao: J/K. The thing is the schedule is unbalanced. Teams from different divisions get a different set of opponents and the opponents rotate which is the fairest thing possible. With free agency and everything else, teams can improve (and get worse) quite rapidly so who's to say what schedule is tough or not at the outset of a season. There's also the advantage that some teams get by having poorer and under-performing teams in their division. The Steelers and Ravens got 4 cracks at the Browns and Bengals this year. All the other NFC South teams got to pick on the Panthers twice. The Giants got to play a bunch of teams that ended up not being that good: Vikings, Cowboys (2), Redskins (2), Titans, Texans. Even within the season how strong an opponent changes due to injuries or even a change in management (see Dallas post-Wade). Thus we have the system of divisions. Each of these groups of teams has 14 opponents in common (including each other). It also generally ensures a cross-section of teams from across the country. The wild-cards were added to include worthy teams who may have been stuck in a tougher division this time around. As could probably guess I like the system as-is even with my joke above about the 70 years.

Some are making the argument that more games will be meaningful if the wildcards are allowed to be home teams. This is not necessarily the case. For example the Ravens and Steelers would have much less to play for this week if they both were assured a home game regardless. The same goes for the Saints and Falcons.

Anyhow, I'm side-tracking my own topic ;) I voted "yes" for those who were wondering. As a Bengals fans we could be 3-13 and I'd still want the playoff spot - they are just too rare! While the rookie scale will probably change with the new agreement, there's an argument that picking later has a financial advantage as well as it ties up less of your :X as well.

-QG

#45 oukurt

oukurt

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,098 posts
  • Joined 01-August 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

9 x out of 10 I will agree to take the playoffs. But in this case, as a Bradford fan I really like the higher draft slot. The Rams will get a better choice of one these 5-6 beastly WRs that can help Bradford for seasons to come. The Rams MUST upgrade at WR.

"Excuse me, do these shorts effectively hide my thunder?" -Tobias

#46 SWC

SWC

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Joined 09-October 05

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

i was just saying that about roofs in general i think fancy moving roofs are only ok for baseball not lord football

#47 Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Nittany Beavers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,843 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03
  • Interests:Doctor Who
    Angry Birds
    Tim Horton's coffee

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

How does something like this even cross a fans mind? OF COARSE IT'S THE PLAY-OFF'S!! You got a ticket to the dance. Anything can happen. The Pats might get K.O'd in the d round... The Saints might get #####slapped by Seattle. Any given Sunday baby! You never know how the cards will fall.

There we were...three against a thousand. And we beat all three of them.

Please pay attention to Tom Servo. He pretty much decides what flies around here and what doesn't. HTH.

Tom Servo showing everyone how things are supposed to be done around these parts.

Formerly wrestled as La Parka: Mexican National Light Heavyweight CHAMPION (4 times) - WWA Lightweight CHAMPION (2 times) - CMLL World Tag Team CHAMPION - IWL World Heavyweight CHAMPION - IWC World Heavyweight CHAMPION - AAA Latin American CHAMPION - IWC World Hardcore CHAMPION

#48 Maroney=Speed

Maroney=Speed

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,290 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

I was going to post this, this weekend. The heck with it here it is: Seattle beats The Saints. You heard it here first.
I play for money, not for pride.
AFFL 2009,2010,2011,2012

#49 5Rings

5Rings

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,724 posts
  • Joined 20-April 03

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

Niners/Seahawks/Rams fans have been asking themselves this for weeks, and I think the general consensus is that the playoffs would be better.

:thumbup: Look at the runs mediocre teams like AZ and NYJ have made the last few years. Once you get there--and in this case, playing at home in Seattle is huge--anything can happen.
Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers

#50 Gopher State

Gopher State

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,169 posts
  • Joined 25-July 04

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

Playoffs of course. Especially when you will be making the Saints travel soooooooooooooo far to come play at your house. We all know the saints road record in playoffs which helps the cause
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, ’Wow, what a ride’.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users