What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: 2012 Top college prospects (1 Viewer)

'EBF said:
I think he has a chance to be successful in the NFL. I saw him up close this past Saturday and while he's certainly not a prototypical featured back, he's not frail either. Players like Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton, and Jamaal Charles offer cause for optimism. There's no doubt that James benefits from a friendly Oregon system that confuses defenders and gets him into wide open space where he can take advantage of his speed, but he flashed some decent quicks in this game. I think he could be useful in the right system. The battle for that RB2 spot behind Richardson will be interesting. David Wilson is having a big year. I haven't seen much of him because he was in a committee last season and I never watch Va Tech games. Of the west coast guys that I'm familiar with, I think LaMichael James could be in the mix. Cameron Marshall has decent pro potential and could be a 3rd-4th round pick if he declares. Doug Martin should go in the same range. Nationally, Jonas Gray has looked good this season. I'm surprised he hasn't had a better career at Notre Dame because he looks like he could have a role on Sundays. I think there will be some quality gambles in the 5-15 range of rookie drafts when April finally rolls around. It happens every year where people talk about the lack of depth only to see players like Tate, Hardesty, Leshoure, and Murray drafted higher than expected.
Isaih Pead, Lamar Miller, Bernard Pierce are the other RB's to keep an eye on in the 2012 class behind Richardson.
Don't forget about Chris Polk. I think he's going to be a very good pro. Very solid catching passes, runs with power, has some nice moves and good straight-line speed. Not sure if he'll be an elite fantasy producer but he'll make a solid RB2 and will most likely be a day 2 pick in April. The only concern I've got is the number of touches he's had during his career with the Huskies so far, but he's definitely going to start at the next level and has 3-down potential.

There seems to be a lot of those 5-9/5-10, 200-210 RB's in this class. I think the difference might be how they perform at the combine.

I think the Lamichael James comments in the previous article are interesting. I don't know if I buy the Quizz Rodgers comparison. Both are undersized and put up big stats in the Pac 10, but the reason Quizz fell so far in the draft is in large part due to his 4.64 at the combine. I suspect James will run much faster. I'm a bit leery of his size as well. Not really his height, but more his bulk. He's just not as solid as most NFL running backs. But the combination of his production and his legit 4.4 speed makes him pretty intriguing.
Two very different running backs. Quizz was never a burner but he has incredible strength for his size and has a "stockier" type of build. James is more of an upright runner with a more "proportioned", lengthier build. James = McCluster with speed.Question is can James run between the tackles in the NFL? We know Quizz did in college and can in the NFL. And by "between the tackles" I mean the ability to navigate through bunched up linemen. Big difference between "a huge hole between the tackles", which James runs through in many highlight vids.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Ask the Notre Dame coaches what they'll miss most about Michael Floyd, and his stats are the last thing they mention.

Instead of his school record for catches, they talk about his dedication to practice.

Instead of his Notre Dame mark for yards receiving, they tell of a player who pulls underclassmen aside to give them tips and advice, as much a coach as anyone on the staff.

And instead of all those touchdown receptions, they proudly describe a young man who turned his life around following a drunken-driving arrest in the spring, his third alcohol-related brush with the law in two years.

"This is why I coach," Irish coach Brian Kelly said this week. "To see a young man change the course of his life, and see that on a day-to-day basis, it's probably as rewarding as any singular victory. And that's what Michael Floyd has done. And that feels good as a coach that you can see a young man who is in a good place. He wasn't in such a good place, but now he is, and that's important."

Floyd will play his last game at Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday when the 24th-ranked Irish (7-3) host Boston College (3-7).

It's a day few were certain would come last March, when Floyd was arrested at 3:18 a.m. on a Saturday, after running a stop sign a block from the school's main entrance. Prosecutors say a breath test showed Floyd had a blood-alcohol level of 0.19 percent, more than double Indiana's legal limit for driving.

Considering the former Cretin-Derham Hall standour already had been cited twice for underage drinking in his home state of Minnesota, there was the possibility Notre Dame officials might come down hard on him, maybe even throw him out of school.

Instead, he was allowed to stay. Kelly suspended him for spring practice, but told Floyd in no uncertain terms that he needed to change his ways. Immediately.

"Mike had every excuse to want to blame someone else. 'This happened because of this, and that because of this, so I'm going to react this way,'" Irish receivers coach Tony Alford said. "He did none of the above. He took complete ownership of every single thing. He's grown as a man. That's the biggest thing. He has really, really matured as a young man and that shows in his everyday life.

"We all knew he could play. Everybody knows that," Alford added. "But when you watch the growth and the maturation he's had, it's very gratifying to be able to witness that every day."

Kelly reinstated Floyd before the season began, and cynics said it was because the Irish needed Floyd to have any shot at a decent season. Floyd has certainly contributed, ranking ninth in the country with almost eight catches per game. He's averaging 92 yards receiving, and has seven touchdown he receptions.

He even scored the first rushing TD of his career.

"He's a special player," Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly said. "He's big, he's strong and he's fast. Anytime you get a guy like that he's dangerous. ... We've got to do a good job of banging him, getting into his routes and disrupting him. If you let a guy like this run free he's going to pick you apart."

But Floyd has shown his newfound maturity is no act with effort in areas most people won't even notice.

Floyd was so sick a week ago he spent much of the day in the infirmary. Yet he showed up for practice anyway and worked as hard as he always does, Alford said, never taking a single play off. When the ball is in someone else's hands he's quick to provide a block, often with the kind of force and strength that would make an offensive lineman proud.

And though he is almost certain to be a high pick in the upcoming NFL draft, Floyd volunteered to return punts when he saw it was a weak spot for the Irish.

"He said, 'I may be the best guy, I may be the second best, I may be the third best, I might not be good at it, but give me a shot. I want to help,'" Irish offensive coordinator Charley Molnar said. "I don't know if the Michael Floyd of 2010 would have done that, but I know the Michael Floyd of now has done that."

Off the field, Floyd has changed his circle of friends. He also underwent counseling. And he's getting closer to earning that degree he promised his mother.

"That's all she cares about, really. Just making sure that I'm doing whatever I can to get that degree and walk out of one of the biggest, (most) prestigious colleges around," Floyd said.

Floyd doesn't dwell on his transformation, seeming somewhat uncomfortable talking about the progress he's made. College is a learning experience for everyone, whether they're football stars or bookworms, and the best lessons sometimes come from the biggest mistakes.

But he is proud of what he's done, prouder of who he's become.

"It makes me feel great just knowing that people notice that I am making a big change in my life. I am maturing and becoming a man," Floyd said Wednesday. "And the experiences I went through, it made me feel better about myself that I needed to change. I feel that I came out as a better person."

———

AP Sports Writer Rick Gano and AP freelance writer Ken Powtak contributed to this story.

Jonas Gray hurt his knee and was on the sideline hugging his teammates with tears in his eyes. Mayock was speculating that he possibly tore his ACL or some other serious injury. Hopefully it's not that serious :(

Jonas Gray hurt his knee and was on the sideline hugging his teammates with tears in his eyes. Mayock was speculating that he possibly tore his ACL or some other serious injury. Hopefully it's not that serious :(
Wow, that really sucks. I think he could've been one of the big late risers at RB in the draft process. Now...who knows?

Robert Griffin III is going to be a top ten pick in April. Dude is amazing. A threat with his feet and with his arm, he's going to be a stud. Today was his signature game. I'm buying the hype. He's also a very hard worker and a genuine good kid which shows that he's coachable and won't be a headcase for whichever team picks him.

Robert Griffin III is going to be a top ten pick in April. Dude is amazing. A threat with his feet and with his arm, he's going to be a stud. Today was his signature game. I'm buying the hype. He's also a very hard worker and a genuine good kid which shows that he's coachable and won't be a headcase for whichever team picks him.
did he declare?

did he declare?
It is his 4th year out of high school, so even though he still has another year of eligibility the probability he declares is very high imo.

Defensive linemen, linebackers stand out in college's Week 12

Tony Pauline

It was a weekend of upheavel in college football, and the end result is mayhem in the BCS rankings. On the scouting front, however, the weekend left smiles on the faces of most NFL decision-makers. Several defensive line and pass-rushing linebacker propsects are finishing off strong seasons with a final surge. Here's the final installment of players rising up boards during the 2011 college season.

Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois* -- The Fighting Illini are in the midst of a five-game losing streak and have struggled on the offensive side of the ball. On defense, however, Mercilus is the one player who has stood out all season. The junior has totaled 18.5 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks this season while adding six quarterback hurries and forcing eight fumbles. He's a natural pass rusher reminiscent of former Illinois star Simeon Rice. Mercilus is expected to enter the draft and could be selected as early as the bottom half of the first round.

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis* -- Poe is another junior on the defensive line whose play has impressed scouts. The 340-pound defender easily moves around the field, collapsing the pocket with his power or chasing the action out to the flanks. He's still rough around the edges, but Poe's size and athleticism more than intrigue scouts. Poe is also expected to enter the draft and, like Mercilus, will end up in the latter part of the first round.

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia* -- NFL teams are always looking for pass-rushing linebackers, and Jones is a prospect catching their attention. The transfer from USC has posted 18.5 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks and 26 quarterback hurries this season. He also stands second on the Georgia defense with 58 tackles. Jones is a developing prospect that presently ranks as one of the best 3-4 outside linebacker prospects in the nation.

Nick Foles, QB, Arizona -- The silver lining in what has been a dreadful season for Arizona was victory over arch-rival Arizona State on Saturday, and Foles led the charge. He completed 68.6 percent of his throws for 370 yards and two scores against the Sun Devils. That makes 25 touchdown tosses this season for Foles, who should also break the 4,000-yard passing mark with one game left on the schedule. The senior signal-caller has received high marks from scouts much of the year as he's stayed competitive while the team crumbled around him. Considered a fringe late-round pick entering the campaign, he has moved into the middle rounds with his play this season.

Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State -- Johnson entered the season highly rated by NFL scouts, and he's living up to expectations. The cornerback was responsible for two big turnovers during the Cyclones' upset victory over second-ranked Oklahoma State. Johnson's fumble recovery in the third quarter led to an Iowa State field goal, while his interception in the final quarter halted a Cowboys scoring drive. For the season, Johnson has defended six passes despite opposing signal-callers avoiding his side of the field. He'll be a solid pick during the draft's second day.

Danny Trevathan, LB, Kentucky -- The season has been a struggle for Kentucky with only four wins, yet their senior leader on defense is being recognized by NFL scouts for his determined play. The SEC leader in tackles with 135, Trevathan has posted 17 tackles in each of three of the Wildcats' last four games. In the loss to Georgia on Saturday, he also added three tackles for loss and forced a pair of fumbles. Measuring under 6-foot and weighing 225 pounds, Trevathan lacks classic NFL size but is a hard-nosed football player who will be selected during the final day of the draft.

Sammy Brown, LB, Houston -- Brown was not considered free-agent worthy by most scouts prior to the season but that's changed. The senior leads the nation with 26 tackles for loss and has also totaled 12.5 sacks this season. His size and speed (6-foot-2, 235 pounds with 4.65 seconds in the 40) are more reminiscent of a weakside linebacker. Brown will have to prove he can make plays moving in reverse as well as forward, but has shown enough skill to jump into the late rounds of April's draft.

Jordan White, WR, Western Michigan -- The ultra-productive senior loomed large in helping the Broncos become bowl eligible last week. During the victory over Miami-Ohio, White totaled nine receptions for 106 yards and two scores. This comes on the heels of a performance against Toledo in which White registered 16 catches and 238 yards. For the season, he has 108 receptions and 14 touchdowns with another game left on the schedule. The big-bodied possession wideout was considered a late-round pick entering the season, but his play this year could push White into the middle rounds.

DeOn'tae Pannell, G, Penn State -- Pannell was an afterthought in the scouting community three months ago, but the thinking has changed 11 games into the 2011 season. The versatile lineman possesses next-level size, athleticism and movement skills. He's effective blocking in motion and will only get better as he receives more playing time and physically matures. It would not be a surprise if the little-mentioned senior squeezes into the late rounds next April.

*Sleeper* Robert Turbin/RB/Utah State -- The Aggies moved one game away from being bowl eligible for the first time in a decade and have done it largely on the shoulders of Turbin. The dominant ball carrier has totaled 1,257 rushing yards and 19 scores in 10 games this season. During Saturday's double overtime win against Idaho, Turbin ran for 208 yards and three touchdowns on 24 carries. Turbin is a big-bodied runner with the skillset necessary to be a featured runner in the NFL. Scouts have pegged the junior as a top 45 choice if he enters the draft, which seems very likely at this point in time.

Tony Pauline

It was a weekend of upheavel in college football, and the end result is mayhem in the BCS rankings. On the scouting front, however, the weekend left smiles on the faces of most NFL decision-makers. Several defensive line and pass-rushing linebacker propsects are finishing off strong seasons with a final surge. Here's the final installment of players rising up boards during the 2011 college season.

Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois* -- The Fighting Illini are in the midst of a five-game losing streak and have struggled on the offensive side of the ball. On defense, however, Mercilus is the one player who has stood out all season. The junior has totaled 18.5 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks this season while adding six quarterback hurries and forcing eight fumbles. He's a natural pass rusher reminiscent of former Illinois star Simeon Rice. Mercilus is expected to enter the draft and could be selected as early as the bottom half of the first round.

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis* -- Poe is another junior on the defensive line whose play has impressed scouts. The 340-pound defender easily moves around the field, collapsing the pocket with his power or chasing the action out to the flanks. He's still rough around the edges, but Poe's size and athleticism more than intrigue scouts. Poe is also expected to enter the draft and, like Mercilus, will end up in the latter part of the first round.

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia* -- NFL teams are always looking for pass-rushing linebackers, and Jones is a prospect catching their attention. The transfer from USC has posted 18.5 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks and 26 quarterback hurries this season. He also stands second on the Georgia defense with 58 tackles. Jones is a developing prospect that presently ranks as one of the best 3-4 outside linebacker prospects in the nation.

Nick Foles, QB, Arizona -- The silver lining in what has been a dreadful season for Arizona was victory over arch-rival Arizona State on Saturday, and Foles led the charge. He completed 68.6 percent of his throws for 370 yards and two scores against the Sun Devils. That makes 25 touchdown tosses this season for Foles, who should also break the 4,000-yard passing mark with one game left on the schedule. The senior signal-caller has received high marks from scouts much of the year as he's stayed competitive while the team crumbled around him. Considered a fringe late-round pick entering the campaign, he has moved into the middle rounds with his play this season.

Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State -- Johnson entered the season highly rated by NFL scouts, and he's living up to expectations. The cornerback was responsible for two big turnovers during the Cyclones' upset victory over second-ranked Oklahoma State. Johnson's fumble recovery in the third quarter led to an Iowa State field goal, while his interception in the final quarter halted a Cowboys scoring drive. For the season, Johnson has defended six passes despite opposing signal-callers avoiding his side of the field. He'll be a solid pick during the draft's second day.

Danny Trevathan, LB, Kentucky -- The season has been a struggle for Kentucky with only four wins, yet their senior leader on defense is being recognized by NFL scouts for his determined play. The SEC leader in tackles with 135, Trevathan has posted 17 tackles in each of three of the Wildcats' last four games. In the loss to Georgia on Saturday, he also added three tackles for loss and forced a pair of fumbles. Measuring under 6-foot and weighing 225 pounds, Trevathan lacks classic NFL size but is a hard-nosed football player who will be selected during the final day of the draft.

Sammy Brown, LB, Houston -- Brown was not considered free-agent worthy by most scouts prior to the season but that's changed. The senior leads the nation with 26 tackles for loss and has also totaled 12.5 sacks this season. His size and speed (6-foot-2, 235 pounds with 4.65 seconds in the 40) are more reminiscent of a weakside linebacker. Brown will have to prove he can make plays moving in reverse as well as forward, but has shown enough skill to jump into the late rounds of April's draft.

Jordan White, WR, Western Michigan -- The ultra-productive senior loomed large in helping the Broncos become bowl eligible last week. During the victory over Miami-Ohio, White totaled nine receptions for 106 yards and two scores. This comes on the heels of a performance against Toledo in which White registered 16 catches and 238 yards. For the season, he has 108 receptions and 14 touchdowns with another game left on the schedule. The big-bodied possession wideout was considered a late-round pick entering the season, but his play this year could push White into the middle rounds.

DeOn'tae Pannell, G, Penn State -- Pannell was an afterthought in the scouting community three months ago, but the thinking has changed 11 games into the 2011 season. The versatile lineman possesses next-level size, athleticism and movement skills. He's effective blocking in motion and will only get better as he receives more playing time and physically matures. It would not be a surprise if the little-mentioned senior squeezes into the late rounds next April.

*Sleeper* Robert Turbin/RB/Utah State -- The Aggies moved one game away from being bowl eligible for the first time in a decade and have done it largely on the shoulders of Turbin. The dominant ball carrier has totaled 1,257 rushing yards and 19 scores in 10 games this season. During Saturday's double overtime win against Idaho, Turbin ran for 208 yards and three touchdowns on 24 carries. Turbin is a big-bodied runner with the skillset necessary to be a featured runner in the NFL. Scouts have pegged the junior as a top 45 choice if he enters the draft, which seems very likely at this point in time.

Tony Pauline

Faust, I just want to thank you in advance. The amount of information that you have posted in this one thread is enough to keep me from being bored all summer. Once again, thanks in advance :thumbup:

Baylor's Griffin, USC's Barkley key upset wins

Posted Nov. 21, 2011 @ 10:32 a.m. ET

By Nolan Nawrocki

Four top-10 teams fell in what could be deemed upset weekend in college football, as Oklahoma State, Oregon and Oklahoma all suffered narrow defeats. A young Clemson team, having clinched a seat in the ACC championship game prior to visiting North Carolina State and without its star playmaker, Sammy Watkins, fell into a trap and was shellacked by the Wolfpack.

Quarterback play was at a premium during the roller-coaster weekend, with Baylor's Robert Griffin III and USC's Matt Barkley both showing exceptionally well. Meanwhile, Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden and Oklahoma's Landry Jones did not deal as well with pressure, one of the greatest concerns facing both passers as NFL prospects.

Griffin's school-record 479 passing yards led Baylor to a 45-38 victory — its first-ever win over the Sooners — and pushed the standout athlete to the forefront of the Heisman Trophy campaign.

NFL evalautors have mixed feelings about Griffin, with his sidearm throwing motion and unorthodox mechanics drawing heavy scrutiny. So does the simple, one-look-and-throw offense he commands. However, the ease with which he picked apart Oklahoma's defense in the final 41 seconds and the way he threaded the ball into the corner of the endzone with pressure in his face for the game-winning score showed a level of poise and maturity that could allow him to function, and perhaps thrive, in the NFL.

Griffin's ability to create with his feet and sell play-action consistently sucked up Sooners safeties and opened up the deep passing game for playmaking WR Kendall Wright and sophomore Tevin Reese.

Barkley overcame a rash of injuries to his offensive line and receiving corps to roll out a 38-35 victory at Oregon that was much more lopsided that the final score for much of the contest. Trojans junior S T.J. McDonald blocked a punt at the beginning of the third quarter that helped open a 24-point lead. But it was Barkley's efficiency and accuracy both in the pocket and on the move that led Oregon skipper Chip Kelly to join Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian (both of whom have faced Stanford's Andrew Luck) in saying Barkley is the best quarterback they have faced this season — a statement that might add some intrigue to a draft that was believed to start with the second pick.

• Alabama ILB Dont'a Hightower powered through the Georgia Southern line to block a field goal that junior CB Dre Kirkpatrick scooped up and ran into the endzone from 55 yards out. After being slow to recover from a knee injury, Hightower really has come on strong late in the season and has been an inside force for the Crimson Tide.

• USC junior OLT Matt Kalil played against Oregon despite having suffered some stingers late last week that restricted him in practice. Senior DT DaJohn Harris missed the Washington game with an ankle injury and was limited in practice, but he returned to action against the Ducks.

• Oregon junior RB LaMichael James was holding the elbow that he injured against Cal after fumbling at the nine-yard line before the half against USC.

• Oklahoma junior DE Ronnell Lewis, who projects to the outside linebacker position in a 3-4 front in the pros, left the Baylor game before the half with a left knee injury suffered while chasing WR Kendall Wright from behind. Lewis spent the second half on the sideline in street clothes wearing a knee brace. He is expected to be out for at least several weeks with a sprained MCL.

• Virginia senior DE Cam Johnson was flagged for a facemask call on 4th-and-1 that negated a sack and nearly cost the Cavaliers in the final minute of a 14-13 victory over Florida State. The win kept 8-3 Virginia alive in the race for an ACC championship.

• Wisconsin junior C Peter Konz did not play against Illinois after dislocating his left ankle the previous week against Minnesota. Doctors were able to put it back in place and he could return sooner than expected. At a listed 6-5, 320 pounds, Konz has started 30 games for the Badgers and stacks up as one of the most talented pivots in the country.

• Utah junior NT Star Lotulelei has had some difficulty managing his weight, having ballooned to more than 350 pounds when he was at Snow Junior College three years ago, but he has made an impact stuffing the run for the Utes and could warrant interest as a big-bodied plugger for a 3-4 front if, as expected, he declares early for the draft.

• Northern Illinois senior QB Chandler Harnish, who now holds 17 school passing records, engineered a last-minute drive against Ball State on Tuesday to overcome a 17-point deficit in NIU's 41-38 victory. He set a school record with 519 offensive yards (338 passing, 181 rushing) in the win. Harnish has small 83⁄4-inch hands, average stature and a history of injuries that could diminish his draft stock, but he is a commanding field general.

I think the Lamichael James comments in the previous article are interesting. I don't know if I buy the Quizz Rodgers comparison. Both are undersized and put up big stats in the Pac 10, but the reason Quizz fell so far in the draft is in large part due to his 4.64 at the combine. I suspect James will run much faster. I'm a bit leery of his size as well. Not really his height, but more his bulk. He's just not as solid as most NFL running backs. But the combination of his production and his legit 4.4 speed makes him pretty intriguing.
Two very different running backs. Quizz was never a burner but he has incredible strength for his size and has a "stockier" type of build. James is more of an upright runner with a more "proportioned", lengthier build. James = McCluster with speed.Question is can James run between the tackles in the NFL? We know Quizz did in college and can in the NFL. And by "between the tackles" I mean the ability to navigate through bunched up linemen. Big difference between "a huge hole between the tackles", which James runs through in many highlight vids.
I completely agree with you that they're very different. Quizz, despite his lack of height, has a pretty good frame for NFL RB. I think height is completely overrated when it comes to RB. Sometimes being short is actually beneficial. Like you say though, James' problem is that he doesn't have much bulk in the lower body and simply looks too light to be an every down back (in my opinion). However, he could still have good value both from an NFL and a fantasy perspective (esp. PPR) if he develops similarly to a guy like Darren Sproles.
I'm with you and buying the hype from a fantasy perspective. Even if its only an extra 35 yards a game and occasional rushing TD, that adds a ton of value compared to a similar guy without that athleticism. Depends on your individual league's roster requirements, scoring system, etc. (and on where he ends up drafted) but he's a guy who could have a ton of fantasy value. With Cam and Aaron Rodgers both putting up huge numbers this year both in the air and on the ground (along with Vick last year), we're finally starting to see some "separation" between the top QBs and the lower level QB1s. Griffin at least has the potential to be one of those guys who separates from the pack if he develops.

Not to take anything away from Barkley, but it helps that he's throwing to the best WR tandem in the country. Woods and Lee are both future first round picks. The difference between Barkley and Luck is that Barkley is finishing the season strongly whereas Luck is petering out a little bit. No one was saying Barkley > Luck when he threw a back-breaking INT to ice a loss against Arizona State.

This could be a pretty good QB class though if Luck, Barkley, and Griffin are all as good as advertised. Might give some hope to those teams like Seattle, Arizona, and Miami that have fallen out of the suck for Luck sweepstakes.

Faust, I just want to thank you in advance. The amount of information that you have posted in this one thread is enough to keep me from being bored all summer. Once again, thanks in advance :thumbup:
I appreciate the feedback, and setting it up in one thread like this makes it easier for me to go back and read the reports and analysis! :thumbup:

Week 12 Rewind: RGIII not only beats OU, he answers scouts' questions

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

Each week, we rewind the game film to highlight the star-worthy performances that could impact the 2012 draft rankings:

A record-breaking performance Saturday night by Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III could one day be looked back as his ultimate trifecta. Griffin gave Baylor its first win over Oklahoma in 21 tries; it made him a Heisman favorite and perhaps answered the last question scouts had about his ability to play in the NFL. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound redshirt junior carved up an athletic Oklahoma secondary for a school-record 479 passing yards and four touchdowns -- including the winner with only eight seconds remaining -- in a thrilling 45-38 upset victory.

Considering the gaudy statistics RGIII had been producing all season long -- he entered the game completing 70 percent of his passes with a 29-5 TD to INT ratio -- Saturday's performance wasn't necessarily a surprise. It was, however, confirmation of Griffin's toughness as the Sooners hit the Baylor quarterback early and often. Spread offenses typically limit the decisions quarterbacks have to make, allowing them to get the ball out of their hands quickly with a variety of short routes. Few spread quarterbacks ever develop the poise to handle pressure when they do see it. Most spread quarterbacks are limited to the pocket. Make them move their feet and their effectiveness typically takes a tumble. This is precisely where Griffin III broke the stereotype.

On multiple occasions, Griffin demonstrated his poise and intelligence by throwing the ball away. Griffin erased what could have been a huge momentum switch in favor of the Sooners by collecting an errant shotgun snap, running to his right and firing a pass out of bounds. Plays like these go down in the stat books as just another incompletion, but they prove a quarterback's football intelligence.

Griffin showed that he isn't just an athlete blessed with extraordinary physical skills and an offense catered to his strengths, he's also a thinking man's quarterback. Of course, to be a first-round pick in the NFL, he needs to have those physical skills, as well. Most important, Griffin has a strong right arm capable of making any NFL throw. Some of the most difficult passes asked of pro quarterbacks, in fact, are among Griffin's best.

The fourth-year Baylor product throws a better deep ball than any other quarterback in the country due to his arm strength and extraordinary touch. Spread offenses typically pad quarterbacks' stats because they feature a great deal of underneath routes. Baylor's does too. The quick screen is as fundamental to the Bears' success as it is spread team. But they also attack the field vertically with remarkable consistency. Saturday's win over Oklahoma was the eighth time this season (in 10 tries) in which Baylor has completed at least one pass of 60-plus yards.

Griffin does not possess the textbook technique or experience in the pro-style offense that Stanford's Andrew Luck or USC's Matt Barkley boast. He is however, an undeniably more unique talent who could join the Pac-12 stars as top five picks come April.

• While Griffin answered questions, another Big 12 quarterback -- Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden -- raised more questions a day earlier about his ability to transition to the NFL. He turned in an uncharacteristically poor performance in a double-overtime loss to Iowa State. Weeden can certainly be questioned for his decision-making and lack of accuracy once forced to re-set his feet. Some will simply blame him for the then-second-ranked Cowboys' upset loss.

More accurately, Weeden and reigning Biletnikof winner Justin Blackmon were matched up against the top cornerback in the Big 12 and Iowa State's Leonard Johnson was up to the task. The 5-10, 202-pound Johnson doesn't get a great deal of national attention, but he will after last Friday's game. The senior was officially credited with five solo tackles, an interception and a fumble recovery. As well-rounded as those numbers are, they don't do Johnson justice. Johnson provided much more physical coverage against Blackmon than the Cowboys' star is accustomed to facing.

Blackmon, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated wide receiver for the 2012 draft, caught 10 passes Friday night, but was effectively contained by Johnson's tenacious coverage gaining "only" 99 yards and a score despite the game going into double-overtime. Johnson announced his presence with a strong open-field tackle to keep Blackmon a yard shy of a first down on OSU's second drive. The play appeared insignificant as the Cowboys normally convert easily on 3rd-and-1, but this time running back Joseph Randle coughed the ball up, setting the tone early for a gritty effort from the Cyclones.

Johnson was in press coverage when he gave up Blackmon's score in the second quarter. Johnson did not get an initial jam on Blackmon, granting him an outside release. Johnson trailed slightly in coverage but was in good position. A perfect back shoulder fade by Weeden, however, drew Blackmon back to the ball, dipping inside Johnson at the perfect time for the catch and stroll into the end zone.

The play was a perfect example of the old adage that the perfect throw can beat perfect coverage. In the third quarter Johnson's play appeared to be tailing off, as he was called for pass interference for getting his hand around the back of Blackmon. Johnson quickly atoned for the mistake by recovering a fumble, which gave ISU the ball back in position to kick a field goal and narrow the Cowboys' lead to 24-17.

Johnson erased OSU's next possession, snatching a deflected pass for an interception early in the fourth quarter that put the Cyclones in position to tie. A physical and tenacious defender capable in man and zone coverage who shows the maturity to bounce back after plays that didn't go his way, Johnson may have boosted himself into top 75 consideration with his impressive performance.

• Upon Further Review highlights a player whose performance over the weekend significantly altered my earlier assessment.

Entering the season, Clemson defensive tackle Brandon Thompson was graded by many as one of the elite senior prospects in the entire country regardless of position.

The 6-2, 310-pound defender had been overshadowed in the past by Da'Quan Bowers and Jarvis Jenkins, but scouts appreciated his burst off the snap and high-revving motor. It was hoped that Thompson would take the next step this season and turn pressures he had often created into more big plays. But that hasn't happened. Thompson is credited with an impressive 59 tackles through 10 starts for the Tigers, but with only 5.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks, scouts worry that he lacks the sustained quickness to ever be more than a rotational three-technique at the next level.

Saturday's upset loss against North Carolina State won't help Thompson's cause. Limited to four total tackles (three were assists), Thompson was effectively bottled up. The Wolfpack, in fact, recognized Thompson's burst upfield and countered with traps to get the aggressive defensive tackle out of the way, rushing for over four times the yardage (145 to 34) as Clemson for the day. A weak senior class of defensive tackles may be enough to keep Thompson among the first 50 picks of the 2012 draft, but he's been overtaken by Penn State's Devon Still as the country's top senior and there is a host of underclassmen who may also pass him by.

College Stock Watch: Griffin III has skills to change game

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

Each Monday throughout the college football season, NFL.com draft expert Bucky Brooks will share his notes and evaluations on potential NFL prospects for the 2012 draft and beyond. An asterisk (*) denotes players who aren't seniors.

»Robert Griffin III* will be the next quarterback to revolutionize the game. I remain convinced that the Baylor QB will change the way the game is played on the next level. At 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, Griffin possesses the speed and explosiveness of Michael Vick and the arm strength and pocket presence of Drew Brees. He combines those remarkable athletic traits with a keen football sense that translates into spectacular play on the field.

Griffin has completed 72.9 percent of his passes for 3,572 yards with 33 touchdowns and only five interceptions. He also has 550 rushing yards with five scores. Griffin has the arm strength to make all the throws from the pocket. He routinely delivers pinpoint throws on the receiver's proper shoulder, while showing the anticipation to lead pass catchers into open areas. Although he gets sloppy with his fundamentals at times, his superior talent allows him to make accurate throws despite his technical flaws.

Against Oklahoma, Griffin put all those skills on display in leading the Bears to a stunning upset. He completed 21 of 34 passes for 479 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions. It was his ability to deliver with the game hanging in the balance that stood out in my mind. He never appeared rattled, and his impressive poise indicates a leader with the moxie to thrive in critical moments.

Scouts have few concerns about Griffin's physical skills, but there were questions about his ability to beat a superior team after Baylor's lopsided losses to Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. In the win over Oklahoma, Griffin erased those doubts with an unconventional game that blends improvisation with precision playmaking from the pocket. If the Broncos are willing to overhaul their offense to fit the talents of Tim Tebow, imagine what a creative offensive mind will do with a mercurial talent like Griffin.

»USC's Matt Barkley* is benefitting from having great wideouts. The emergence of the USC QB's young receiving corps has made Barkley look like a potential franchise quarterback. That is not intended to diminish his wonderful accomplishments this season, but the fact that Robert Woods* and Marquise Lee* have blossomed into big-time playmakers has keyed Barkley's stellar play during the second half of the season.

Woods, the Trojans' leading receiver with 99 receptions for 1,179 yards and 13 scores, is a refined route runner with size, speed and athleticism. He specializes in wrestling balls away from cornerbacks. For instance, Barkley's 12-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter of the Trojans' 38-35 upset of the Ducks on Saturday was the result of Woods winning on a fade route against Oregon's Avery Patterson. Even though Patterson was draped all over him, Woods won the tug of war for possession prior to hitting the ground.

Lee, a freshman with 60 receptions for 919 yards and nine touchdowns, has become the Trojans' big-play threat on the outside. His explosiveness allows him to run past defenders, and Barkley has shown a willingness to throw the ball to him down the field. On Lee's 59-yard score in the first quarter, Barkley launched a high-arcing pass in his direction despite the Oregon defender trailing Lee in hip-pocket position. Although the pass was slightly underthrown, Lee worked back to catch it at its highest point and waltzed into the end zone after shaking the defender at the 10-yard line.

»The Notre Dame-Boston College game provided a glimpse of the two top linebackers in the country. Manti Te'o* of the Irish and Eagles LB Luke Kuechly* are dominant as juniors and considered to be the top inside linebackers in college football.

Te'o, who leads the Fighting Irish with 103 tackles and 4.5 sacks, has impressive instincts. He finds and flows to the ball quickly and is a punishing hitter in the hole. Although he shows an uncanny knack for getting to the quarterback, he's also quite good in coverage. He is active in his drops and closes quickly to receivers in his area. In looking for a flaw in his game, I would point to his struggles taking on blockers in the hole. He doesn't consistently use his hands to ward off potential blockers and he is unable to get away after engagement.

Kuechly, the Eagles' leading tackler with 182 stops, is a productive playmaker in the middle with the kind of instincts coaches covet. He diagnoses plays quickly and is ultra-aggressive attacking the line of scrimmage. At 6-3, 237 pounds, he packs a wallop when playing downhill and can stop runners in their tracks. If I had to point out a potential concern for Kuechly as a pro, it would be his athleticism and coverage. He appears to have limited range and might have issues matching up with tight ends over the middle in man-to-man. This could limit his ability to be a three-down player as a pro.

Word on the street

» Iowa's Reilly Reiff* is emerging as the top offensive tackle in college football. According to an NFC West personnel executive who has seen USC's Matt Kalil*, Stanford's Jonathan Martin* and Reiff, the Iowa standout is more polished and refined than his counterparts. He is also regarded as a more consistent player and still has the potential to improve. With Iowa's reputation for producing fundamentally sound offensive linemen, Reiff could leapfrog the competition.

» Even though the buzz suggests that Barkley is gaining ground on Luck as the top quarterback prospect, several scouts I've spoken with recently dismiss that notion. They point to Barkley's impressive supporting cast as the catalyst to his strong performance over the past month and used former Trojans QB Matt Leinart as an example of why Barkley's increased production should be kept in perspective. Much like Leinart, Barkley is surrounding by a set of playmakers who should be early-round selections some day, and scouts wonder if he will succeed as a pro with lesser players. Their doubts have led most to rank him significantly behind Luck.

Stock up

» Montee Ball*, Wisconsin, RB: Ball continues to create a buzz in scouting circles with his outstanding production. He added three more touchdowns to the Big Ten single-season touchdown mark (30), while amassing 228 rushing yards on 38 attempts. In addition to posting extraordinary numbers, he displayed impressive elusiveness with his nifty spin move on a 17-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Stock down

» Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, QB: The Oklahoma State star continues to baffle scouts with his maddeningly inconsistent play in the pocket. While his gaudy numbers (42 of 58 passes for 476 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions) are impressive at first glance, it is his suspect decision-making that worries evaluators. He inexplicably forces throws into traffic and costly turnovers typically result from tips or deflections. If he continues to take unnecessary chances with the ball, it will be hard for scouts to ignore his penchant for poor decisions despite his exceptional arm.

Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon acknowledged to The Oklahoman that he plans to turn pro after this season.

"Right now, I think that would be the best thing for me," he said. "So that will probably happen." Cowboys coach Mike Gundy recently added that he "can’t imagine (Blackmon) would be back again." After winning the Biletnikoff Award as a redshirt sophomore, Blackmon rather surprisingly returned to school for his fourth-year junior season. Dez Bryant's immediate successor as Oklahoma State's No. 1 receiver, Blackmon projects as a top-ten draft pick.

Two people close to Stanford QB Andrew Luck tell Yahoo Sports that the fourth-year junior will forgo his senior season to enter the 2012 NFL draft.

Luck will reportedly not take classes next quarter, instead focusing on preparing for the pros. "He could still go back and register for classes, but that’s not the plan," a source who's known Luck "for many years" told Yahoo. Another source said Luck has "never seriously considered" trying to force himself to a team of his choosing: "That’s not his style. He doesn’t like all the attention to begin with, and now you’re talking about doing something that would bring a lot of extra attention on him." Luck is expected to be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Saw this Russ Lande mock today. Pretty wacky stuff with Doug Martin, Montee Ball, Juron Criner, Ryan Broyles, and Jeff Fuller all tabbed as first rounders.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-10/nfl-mock-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-andrew-luck-has-company-at-quarterback-in-top-five

Sporting News looks ahead to next April's NFL draft with projected picks based on current SN power rankings, team needs and player evaluations. The final order will be set following the season, but it's never too early to peer into our crystal football.

There are some players you may be surprised not to see below, like Alabama linebacker Dont’a Hightower, but the farther we get into evaluating the prospects it is clear to us they are not likely first-round picks.

Even if Matt Barkley isn't the second QB selected, he still might not make it out of the top five. (AP photo)

Also, at this point in the college season we are able to get better information regarding which underclassmen are leaning toward coming out early for the draft, which is why we have included some juniors who were not in previous mock drafts. (* denotes junior)

1. Indianapolis Colts. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Sources have told us that if things hold and the Colts have the first pick, they will choose Luck with the idea that he can be Peyton Manning's backup for two seasons before taking over.

2. St. Louis Rams. Matt Kalil*, OT, USC

Jason Smith continues to have concussion problems and Rodger Saffold is not an elite left tackle, so the Rams grab Kalil in hopes he can be for Bradford what Orlando Pace was for Kurt Warner.

3. Washington Redskins. Robert Griffin*, QB, Baylor

Though many predict Matt Barkley will be the second quarterback chosen, Mike Shanahan has long shown a preference for athletic quarterbacks with elite arm strength. Griffin fits that mold more than Barkley does.

4. Cleveland Browns. Matt Barkley*, QB, USC

It has become clear that Colt McCoy is not a front-line starting quarterback. Barkley is a mechanically sound, smart and accurate passer who fits the Browns' offense perfectly.

5. Arizona Cardinals. Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina

The Cardinals would love to upgrade their offensive line, but with Kalil gone, there is no offensive lineman worthy of this high a pick. Brown's pass-rush ability off the edge fits their 3-4 scheme.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars. Justin Blackmon*, WR, Oklahoma State

Blaine Gabbert has struggled in his rookie season and could use a big-time receiver. Blackmon is a dynamic playmaker with good size (6-1, 215).

7. Carolina Panthers. Dre Kirkpatrick*, CB, Alabama

Carolina's defense has been terrible this season, and Kirkpatrick would give the Panthers a top-level cornerback who should be able to start and make an impact as a rookie.

8. Minnesota Vikings. Jonathan Martin*, OT, Stanford

Christian Ponder has been constantly pressured by defenses, and for him to have any chance at developing, the Vikings need to grab the very athletic and smart Martin to shore up their pass protection.

9. Kansas City Chiefs. Landry Jones*, QB, Oklahoma

Sources have told us the Chiefs were debating drafting a young quarterback before Matt Cassel was injured. Landry Jones would be a nice QB for a possible new head coach (rumors include Jeff Fisher) to build around.

10. Miami Dolphins. Trent Richardson*, RB, Alabama

The Dolphins would like to take a young quarterback here, but with the top four off the board, they grab Richardson, who is one of the top three players in the draft.

11. Seattle Seahawks. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

Tarvaris Jackson has been better since getting healthy and could really use another weapon. With Floyd lining up opposite Sidney Rice, it would give him two very talented receivers.

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska

Ronde Barber is getting up there and the Bucs do not have a lot of depth at cornerback, so they grab Dennard a little higher than expected.

13. Buffalo Bills. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

Everyone is pointing at the Bills' offense during their freefall, but a big part of the problem is the defense’s inability to pressure the quarterback and force turnovers. Coples is a tall (6-6), well-built pass rusher.

14. San Diego Chargers. Donte Paige-Moss*, DE, North Carolina

The Chargers' defense has been terrible, and the main reason is they have no pass rush. Paige-Moss has the talent to be a special one and would be a dramatic upgrade.

15. Philadelphia Eagles. Devon Still, DT, Penn State

Philadelphia's run defense has been inconsistent. Still is a strong, athletic tackle who would help the run defense and pass rush.

16. Tennessee Titans. Alshon Jeffery*, WR, South Carolina

The Titans don't know whether Kenny Britt will be back at 100 percent next season, so they jump at the chance to grab the huge (6-4, 230) Jeffery to give their offense a weapon.

17. New York Jets. David DeCastro, G, Stanford

The Jets' rushing attack has been a disappointment, and part of the reason is their interior line play. With DeCastro next to Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold, it would upgrade the running game dramatically.

18. Denver Broncos. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

Despite Tim Tebow's success in recent weeks, the reality is that unless his accuracy improves, he will struggle to win. Tannehill is one of the fastest-rising players on draft boards around the league, so John Elway jumps at the chance to grab him.

19. Cincinnati Bengals. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

The Bengals have developed A.J. Green and have a good young tight end in Jermaine Gresham. Adding Jones would give them another offensive weapon for quarterback Andy Dalton.

20. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland). Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia

After losing Johnathan Joseph in free agency and Leon Hall to a torn Achilles' a couple of weeks ago, the Bengals are thin at cornerback. Boykin brings the explosive playmaking ability they could use.

21. New York Giants. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

Brandon Jacobs does not look like the same back he was a few seasons ago, so the Giants grab the very strong and aggressive Martin to be their power back. Martin would be an ideal complement to Ahmad Bradshaw.

22. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta). Montee Ball*, RB, Wisconsin

It's clear that Peyton Hillis is not going to return and that Montario Hardesty can't stay healthy, so the Browns grab Ball, who has carried the Badgers' rushing attack on his shoulders.

23. Dallas Cowboys. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

Though we have heard from numerous NFL people that Jenkins could fall out of the first round due to character concerns, Jerry Jones has shown a willingness to gamble on kids with off-field issues—see Dez Bryant. Jenkins, who played at Florida for three seasons before being dismissed last spring, has top 10 talent and would upgrade the Cowboys’ secondary.

24. Detroit Lions. Riley Reiff*, OT, Iowa

Reiff definitely would help his game by staying for his senior season at Iowa. But he has the athleticism to protect Matthew Stafford's blind side if he improves his technique and consistency.

25. Chicago Bears. Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State

The Bears have managed to win despite an inconsistent offensive line. Sanders is not a premier prospect, he is a solid tackle with good technique and excellent competitiveness.

26. Houston Texans. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona

Houston's passing game has not been as efficient without Andre Johnson, who has been out with a hamstring injury. Criner would give the Texans a tall (6-4), athletic and sure-handed receiver opposite Johnson.

27. New England Patriots (from New Orleans). Luke Kuechly*, LB, Boston College

The Patriots must upgrade their pass rush, and Kuechly is a versatile, athletic linebacker who can pressure quarterbacks.

28. Baltimore Ravens. Manti Te'o*, LB, Notre Dame

Ray Lewis is 36 and doesn’t have many seasons left. At 6-1, 255, Te'o has similar size to Lewis and also plays with excellent passion and intensity.

29. New England Patriots. Shaun Prater, CB, Iowa

The Patriots have been trying to piece together a secondary this season, so the chance to add Prater makes too much sense. He is athletic and smart and comes highly recommended by Bill Belichick's friend, Kirk Ferentz.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

Broyles likely would have been a top 15 pick if he had not been injured (torn ACL). The Steelers often grab a player who normally wouldn’t be available to them but slides for one reason or another.

31. San Francisco 49ers. Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

The 49ers have Michael Crabtree at one receiver spot, but they don’t have an established wideout opposite him. Fuller can provide a big (6-4, 220) target to complement Crabtree.

32. Green Bay Packers. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State

Since Nick Collins was injured, the Packers' pass defense has not been consistent. Martin is a tall (6-1), athletic and versatile defender who can play safety and cover slot receivers.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-10/nfl-mock-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-andrew-luck-has-company-at-quarterback-in-top-five#ixzz1erXgSkLa

Saw this Russ Lande mock today. Pretty wacky stuff with Doug Martin, Montee Ball, Juron Criner, Ryan Broyles, and Jeff Fuller all tabbed as first rounders.

THIS GUY IS A QUACK!

Saw this Russ Lande mock today. Pretty wacky stuff with Doug Martin, Montee Ball, Juron Criner, Ryan Broyles, and Jeff Fuller all tabbed as first rounders. THIS GUY IS A QUACK!
While placing all 5 of them in the 1st is probably a bit much, dyanasty fantasy guys will be talking about all of these guys as mid-first to late 2nd guys. IMO, Martin and Criner have the best chances to sneak into the bottom of the first of the NFLdraft. Ball had a really productive year, but we need to see his meaasurables and whether he benefited greatly from a very good wisconson OL. Fuller has just been ok with a prospect QB and Broyles has size/injury concerns that I am guessing will keep him out of the 1st despite his silly good production.

Baylor game

Both Griffin (probally concussion) and Kendall Wright (some type of leg) have injuries. Neither is playing in the 2nd half.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things I've noticed in a few mock drafts. Outside of Luck, Barkley, and RGIII, I don't think any QB goes in the first round, but Landry Jones seems to be getting a lot of love out there, and I don't get why. Jones has essentially been starting for 3 seasons now, and Bradford's freshman season stats are better than any of Jones' season stats. I think he busts if he's a first round pick.

At RB, I'm surprised at the lack of love David Wilson is getting. At this point he's pretty clearly the 2nd best draft eligible RB in the NCAA imo. He's really quick with good long speed, but my favourite attribute of his is his absolute refusal to go down. His ability to break tackles at ~205-210 lbs is very impressive. Lamar Miller is going ahead of Wilson in most mock drafts, even though he's probably slower and isn't as ferocious of a runner even though he's probably bigger than Wilson. The only real problem I see with Wilson is he has a really long stride for a RB, which isn't very normal for a RB and probably makes it easier for him to get caught from behind.

At WR, Alshon Jeffrey is still getting a lot of love despite very pedestrian stats and rumors of him not working very hard and simply being fat. I'd be very surprised to see him go in the top 15 where he seems to be going in practically all NFL mock drafts. I'm also surprised at the love Jeff Fuller continues to get. He doesn't look very dynamic to me and even though he's got good size and speed he hasn't been very productive in a pass happy offense with a competent QB. I don't think I'd take either of them in a rookie draft.

http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-salt-lake-city/utah-state-running-back-robert-turbin-likely-headed-to-nfl-after-this-seasonRobert Turbin is another smaller school guy who enter into the 2nd/3rd round range. 5'10" 215 highly productive, but 23 and a history of injury
If Turbin were to come out this year he'd actually still be 22 until next December. If he declares and really is a ~3rd round pick he'd be really interesting in rookie drafts IMO.
Thanks for the age info as I trusted the article. I can't put my hands on the site/draft guru but I have seen him as high as a top 45 player, although in the real draft it seems like RB drop at least a half of a round.

Saw this Russ Lande mock today. Pretty wacky stuff with Doug Martin, Montee Ball, Juron Criner, Ryan Broyles, and Jeff Fuller all tabbed as first rounders. THIS GUY IS A QUACK!
While placing all 5 of them in the 1st is probably a bit much, dyanasty fantasy guys will be talking about all of these guys as mid-first to late 2nd guys. IMO, Martin and Criner have the best chances to sneak into the bottom of the first of the NFLdraft. Ball had a really productive year, but we need to see his meaasurables and whether he benefited greatly from a very good wisconson OL. Fuller has just been ok with a prospect QB and Broyles has size/injury concerns that I am guessing will keep him out of the 1st despite his silly good production.
Seahawks drafting a WR when they have Baldwin, Rice, Obomanu, Tate, and Mike Williams when they have major holes elsewhere is just ridiculousMiami drafting a RB in 1st round after signing bush and drafting danny thomas makes no sense. they also have plenty of needs elsewhereNot to mention Pitt grabbing a WR is insanity as well.

I think he has a chance to be successful in the NFL. I saw him up close this past Saturday and while he's certainly not a prototypical featured back, he's not frail either. Players like Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton, and Jamaal Charles offer cause for optimism. There's no doubt that James benefits from a friendly Oregon system that confuses defenders and gets him into wide open space where he can take advantage of his speed, but he flashed some decent quicks in this game. I think he could be useful in the right system.

The battle for that RB2 spot behind Richardson will be interesting. David Wilson is having a big year. I haven't seen much of him because he was in a committee last season and I never watch Va Tech games. Of the west coast guys that I'm familiar with, I think LaMichael James could be in the mix. Cameron Marshall has decent pro potential and could be a 3rd-4th round pick if he declares. Doug Martin should go in the same range. Nationally, Jonas Gray has looked good this season. I'm surprised he hasn't had a better career at Notre Dame because he looks like he could have a role on Sundays.

I think there will be some quality gambles in the 5-15 range of rookie drafts when April finally rolls around. It happens every year where people talk about the lack of depth only to see players like Tate, Hardesty, Leshoure, and Murray drafted higher than expected.
Isaih Pead, Lamar Miller, Bernard Pierce are the other RB's to keep an eye on in the 2012 class behind Richardson.
Don't forget about Chris Polk. I think he's going to be a very good pro. Very solid catching passes, runs with power, has some nice moves and good straight-line speed. Not sure if he'll be an elite fantasy producer but he'll make a solid RB2 and will most likely be a day 2 pick in April. The only concern I've got is the number of touches he's had during his career with the Huskies so far, but he's definitely going to start at the next level and has 3-down potential.
Just today I began researching 2012 draft prospects. I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to NFL rookies and dynasty league drafts, but I see absolutely nothing in Chris Polk's game that translates into NFL success. He eludes a tackle here and there, while never, ever breaking one. He's got the footwork and drive of a Segue. While his speed is nice, and he does occasionally break a long run, I think NFL defenders will eat him alive.Can anyone persuade me otherwise?

I think he has a chance to be successful in the NFL. I saw him up close this past Saturday and while he's certainly not a prototypical featured back, he's not frail either. Players like Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton, and Jamaal Charles offer cause for optimism. There's no doubt that James benefits from a friendly Oregon system that confuses defenders and gets him into wide open space where he can take advantage of his speed, but he flashed some decent quicks in this game. I think he could be useful in the right system.

The battle for that RB2 spot behind Richardson will be interesting. David Wilson is having a big year. I haven't seen much of him because he was in a committee last season and I never watch Va Tech games. Of the west coast guys that I'm familiar with, I think LaMichael James could be in the mix. Cameron Marshall has decent pro potential and could be a 3rd-4th round pick if he declares. Doug Martin should go in the same range. Nationally, Jonas Gray has looked good this season. I'm surprised he hasn't had a better career at Notre Dame because he looks like he could have a role on Sundays.

I think there will be some quality gambles in the 5-15 range of rookie drafts when April finally rolls around. It happens every year where people talk about the lack of depth only to see players like Tate, Hardesty, Leshoure, and Murray drafted higher than expected.
Just today I began researching 2012 draft prospects. I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to NFL rookies and dynasty league drafts, but I see absolutely nothing in Chris Polk's game that translates into NFL success. He eludes a tackle here and there, while never, ever breaking one. He's got the footwork and drive of a Segue. While his speed is nice, and he does occasionally break a long run, I think NFL defenders will eat him alive.Can anyone persuade me otherwise?
Seriously? I haven't watched him in a while but from what I remember he's a load who breaks a tonne of tackles. The reason I didn't really like him was cause his agility wasn't very good and it takes him a while to build up speed.

Seriously? I haven't watched him in a while but from what I remember he's a load who breaks a tonne of tackles. The reason I didn't really like him was cause his agility wasn't very good and it takes him a while to build up speed.
Not persuaded, yet.

I see Turbin as more of a 4th-5th round type than a potential top 100 pick. Average explosiveness and speed, but decent power. Those guys usually don't sneak into the first three rounds. He would have to test well at the combine, IMO.

I can't comment much on Wilson because I don't make a habit of watching ACC games. I know he has had a monster year and he definitely looked athletic when I saw him play last season. On the other hand, he's a wee bit undersized for a workhorse back and the Va Tech offense has had a tendency to inflate RB stats (see: Lee Suggs, Kevin Jones, Darren Evans, Ryan Williams). I still think he's in that RB2 mix behind Richardson. I'm just not sure he's going to run away with it.

There are other backs having big seasons as well. Montee Ball is putting up monster stats. Out West, Stepfan Taylor and Cameron Marshall have had solid 1000+ yard seasons with very little national fanfare. I think both will end up on NFL rosters someday, though neither is a lock to declare this year. Taylor had one of his best games as a Stanford player tonight against Notre Dame. He's definitely an underrated player nationally. Same goes for Marshall, who ripped off 157 yards against Cal on Friday. He's done most of this on a bum ankle that he's been playing through all season. His numbers have been inconsistent, but he's been running out of a spread offense with very spotty blocking.

The scouts seem to rate Bernard Pierce highly. Lamar Miller, LaMichael James, Doug Martin, and Chris Polk have also had big years.

I think all of these guys are in the mix for top 100 draft slots. I suspect that some of them have a better reputation in actual scouting circles than they do on amateur pundit websites while others will surely benefit from a strong showing at the combine. Players like Marshall and Wilson seem poised to move up the most since they're likely to test well in drills.

I don't see any obvious first rounders besides Richardson, but there should be some interesting gambles out there by the time rookie drafts actually roll around. Depending on who actually declares, this could be a pretty deep group that produces some surprises.

On a 2014 note, remember the name Marqise Lee. True freshman WR who is really beginning to assert himself in the second half of the season. He looks like a surefire first round pick and perhaps a better NFL prospect than Robert Woods. He's just destroying UCLA right now a week after hanging 187 yards on Oregon.

A few things I've noticed in a few mock drafts. Outside of Luck, Barkley, and RGIII, I don't think any QB goes in the first round, but Landry Jones seems to be getting a lot of love out there, and I don't get why. Jones has essentially been starting for 3 seasons now, and Bradford's freshman season stats are better than any of Jones' season stats. I think he busts if he's a first round pick.

At RB, I'm surprised at the lack of love David Wilson is getting. At this point he's pretty clearly the 2nd best draft eligible RB in the NCAA imo. He's really quick with good long speed, but my favourite attribute of his is his absolute refusal to go down. His ability to break tackles at ~205-210 lbs is very impressive. Lamar Miller is going ahead of Wilson in most mock drafts, even though he's probably slower and isn't as ferocious of a runner even though he's probably bigger than Wilson. The only real problem I see with Wilson is he has a really long stride for a RB, which isn't very normal for a RB and probably makes it easier for him to get caught from behind.

At WR, Alshon Jeffrey is still getting a lot of love despite very pedestrian stats and rumors of him not working very hard and simply being fat. I'd be very surprised to see him go in the top 15 where he seems to be going in practically all NFL mock drafts. I'm also surprised at the love Jeff Fuller continues to get. He doesn't look very dynamic to me and even though he's got good size and speed he hasn't been very productive in a pass happy offense with a competent QB. I don't think I'd take either of them in a rookie draft.
1. I agree with you about Landry Jones for the most part. He has a big arm and he's been productive but he's not a guy I'd be wanting to be my franchise QB either. There's just nothing particularly special on him and he could be a product of that system. However, he'll probably go high because it only takes one desperate team falling in love with him so I could see him going somewhere in the teens like Gabbert did last year.2. The Miller/Wilson comparison is interesting. I personally like Miller just a tiny bit more because he looks like he is built for the NFL. Not huge, but just well proportioned and built low to the ground, like Lesean McCoy or Clinton Portis. Also, he has legit speed that maybe you're underestimating. He had the fastest HS 100 meter time of any Hurricane FB player ever in high school and is on the Miami track team. If Wilson is somehow faster at the combine, it won't be by much. I do think Wilson is more dynamic and shiftier though, so its pretty close but I personally give a very slight edge to Miller because I'm not 100% sold Wilson can be a workhorse type back in the NFL while I think Miller can. I love both these guys in dynasty though as their upside is huge if they land in the right systems.

3. I totally agree with you about Alshon Jeffery. He doesn't seem to get much separation from the DB at all. He makes some highlight catches but its because the DBs are all over him. Same with Fuller who hasn't impressed this season. He looked really good in the bowl game vs. Patrick Peterson last year, so the pre-season hype was probably justified, but I don't see much this year.

Seahawks drafting a WR when they have Baldwin, Rice, Obomanu, Tate, and Mike Williams when they have major holes elsewhere is just ridiculousMiami drafting a RB in 1st round after signing bush and drafting danny thomas makes no sense. they also have plenty of needs elsewhereNot to mention Pitt grabbing a WR is insanity as well.
You do actually pay attention to the real NFL draft? Teams regularly make picks that the mock drafters and fans don't think make sense. Many (not all) of which are the correct decision over time. Not defending whoever this guy's picks, but understanding the actual GMs who make the calls don't follow what I nor you think is correct. I mean I can go back pretty much evry year and find multiple dudes we don't know/care about or care about at Thanksgiving who are first rounders and dudes who "locks" to be first rounders who go like in the 5th.

'EBF said:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-10/nfl-mock-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-andrew-luck-has-company-at-quarterback-in-top-five

Sporting News looks ahead to next April's NFL draft with projected picks based on current SN power rankings, team needs and player evaluations. The final order will be set following the season, but it's never too early to peer into our crystal football.

There are some players you may be surprised not to see below, like Alabama linebacker Dont’a Hightower, but the farther we get into evaluating the prospects it is clear to us they are not likely first-round picks.

Even if Matt Barkley isn't the second QB selected, he still might not make it out of the top five. (AP photo)

Also, at this point in the college season we are able to get better information regarding which underclassmen are leaning toward coming out early for the draft, which is why we have included some juniors who were not in previous mock drafts. (* denotes junior)

1. Indianapolis Colts. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Sources have told us that if things hold and the Colts have the first pick, they will choose Luck with the idea that he can be Peyton Manning's backup for two seasons before taking over.

2. St. Louis Rams. Matt Kalil*, OT, USC

Jason Smith continues to have concussion problems and Rodger Saffold is not an elite left tackle, so the Rams grab Kalil in hopes he can be for Bradford what Orlando Pace was for Kurt Warner.

3. Washington Redskins. Robert Griffin*, QB, Baylor

Though many predict Matt Barkley will be the second quarterback chosen, Mike Shanahan has long shown a preference for athletic quarterbacks with elite arm strength. Griffin fits that mold more than Barkley does.

4. Cleveland Browns. Matt Barkley*, QB, USC

It has become clear that Colt McCoy is not a front-line starting quarterback. Barkley is a mechanically sound, smart and accurate passer who fits the Browns' offense perfectly.

5. Arizona Cardinals. Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina

The Cardinals would love to upgrade their offensive line, but with Kalil gone, there is no offensive lineman worthy of this high a pick. Brown's pass-rush ability off the edge fits their 3-4 scheme.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars. Justin Blackmon*, WR, Oklahoma State

Blaine Gabbert has struggled in his rookie season and could use a big-time receiver. Blackmon is a dynamic playmaker with good size (6-1, 215).

7. Carolina Panthers. Dre Kirkpatrick*, CB, Alabama

Carolina's defense has been terrible this season, and Kirkpatrick would give the Panthers a top-level cornerback who should be able to start and make an impact as a rookie.

8. Minnesota Vikings. Jonathan Martin*, OT, Stanford

Christian Ponder has been constantly pressured by defenses, and for him to have any chance at developing, the Vikings need to grab the very athletic and smart Martin to shore up their pass protection.

9. Kansas City Chiefs. Landry Jones*, QB, Oklahoma

Sources have told us the Chiefs were debating drafting a young quarterback before Matt Cassel was injured. Landry Jones would be a nice QB for a possible new head coach (rumors include Jeff Fisher) to build around.

10. Miami Dolphins. Trent Richardson*, RB, Alabama

The Dolphins would like to take a young quarterback here, but with the top four off the board, they grab Richardson, who is one of the top three players in the draft.

11. Seattle Seahawks. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

Tarvaris Jackson has been better since getting healthy and could really use another weapon. With Floyd lining up opposite Sidney Rice, it would give him two very talented receivers.

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska

Ronde Barber is getting up there and the Bucs do not have a lot of depth at cornerback, so they grab Dennard a little higher than expected.

13. Buffalo Bills. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

Everyone is pointing at the Bills' offense during their freefall, but a big part of the problem is the defense’s inability to pressure the quarterback and force turnovers. Coples is a tall (6-6), well-built pass rusher.

14. San Diego Chargers. Donte Paige-Moss*, DE, North Carolina

The Chargers' defense has been terrible, and the main reason is they have no pass rush. Paige-Moss has the talent to be a special one and would be a dramatic upgrade.

15. Philadelphia Eagles. Devon Still, DT, Penn State

Philadelphia's run defense has been inconsistent. Still is a strong, athletic tackle who would help the run defense and pass rush.

16. Tennessee Titans. Alshon Jeffery*, WR, South Carolina

The Titans don't know whether Kenny Britt will be back at 100 percent next season, so they jump at the chance to grab the huge (6-4, 230) Jeffery to give their offense a weapon.

17. New York Jets. David DeCastro, G, Stanford

The Jets' rushing attack has been a disappointment, and part of the reason is their interior line play. With DeCastro next to Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold, it would upgrade the running game dramatically.

18. Denver Broncos. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

Despite Tim Tebow's success in recent weeks, the reality is that unless his accuracy improves, he will struggle to win. Tannehill is one of the fastest-rising players on draft boards around the league, so John Elway jumps at the chance to grab him.

19. Cincinnati Bengals. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

The Bengals have developed A.J. Green and have a good young tight end in Jermaine Gresham. Adding Jones would give them another offensive weapon for quarterback Andy Dalton.

20. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland). Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia

After losing Johnathan Joseph in free agency and Leon Hall to a torn Achilles' a couple of weeks ago, the Bengals are thin at cornerback. Boykin brings the explosive playmaking ability they could use.

21. New York Giants. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

Brandon Jacobs does not look like the same back he was a few seasons ago, so the Giants grab the very strong and aggressive Martin to be their power back. Martin would be an ideal complement to Ahmad Bradshaw.

22. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta). Montee Ball*, RB, Wisconsin

It's clear that Peyton Hillis is not going to return and that Montario Hardesty can't stay healthy, so the Browns grab Ball, who has carried the Badgers' rushing attack on his shoulders.

23. Dallas Cowboys. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

Though we have heard from numerous NFL people that Jenkins could fall out of the first round due to character concerns, Jerry Jones has shown a willingness to gamble on kids with off-field issues—see Dez Bryant. Jenkins, who played at Florida for three seasons before being dismissed last spring, has top 10 talent and would upgrade the Cowboys’ secondary.

24. Detroit Lions. Riley Reiff*, OT, Iowa

Reiff definitely would help his game by staying for his senior season at Iowa. But he has the athleticism to protect Matthew Stafford's blind side if he improves his technique and consistency.

25. Chicago Bears. Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State

The Bears have managed to win despite an inconsistent offensive line. Sanders is not a premier prospect, he is a solid tackle with good technique and excellent competitiveness.

26. Houston Texans. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona

Houston's passing game has not been as efficient without Andre Johnson, who has been out with a hamstring injury. Criner would give the Texans a tall (6-4), athletic and sure-handed receiver opposite Johnson.

27. New England Patriots (from New Orleans). Luke Kuechly*, LB, Boston College

The Patriots must upgrade their pass rush, and Kuechly is a versatile, athletic linebacker who can pressure quarterbacks.

28. Baltimore Ravens. Manti Te'o*, LB, Notre Dame

Ray Lewis is 36 and doesn’t have many seasons left. At 6-1, 255, Te'o has similar size to Lewis and also plays with excellent passion and intensity.

29. New England Patriots. Shaun Prater, CB, Iowa

The Patriots have been trying to piece together a secondary this season, so the chance to add Prater makes too much sense. He is athletic and smart and comes highly recommended by Bill Belichick's friend, Kirk Ferentz.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

Broyles likely would have been a top 15 pick if he had not been injured (torn ACL). The Steelers often grab a player who normally wouldn’t be available to them but slides for one reason or another.

31. San Francisco 49ers. Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

The 49ers have Michael Crabtree at one receiver spot, but they don’t have an established wideout opposite him. Fuller can provide a big (6-4, 220) target to complement Crabtree.

32. Green Bay Packers. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State

Since Nick Collins was injured, the Packers' pass defense has not been consistent. Martin is a tall (6-1), athletic and versatile defender who can play safety and cover slot receivers.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-10/nfl-mock-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-andrew-luck-has-company-at-quarterback-in-top-five#ixzz1erXgSkLa
Did I miss something or how is it that San Fran is picking before GB when they are in the same conference?

'coolnerd said:
'loose circuits said:
'coolnerd said:
'Brewtown said:
You do actually pay attention to the real NFL draft? Teams regularly make picks that the mock drafters and fans don't think make sense. Many (not all) of which are the correct decision over time. Not defending whoever this guy's picks, but understanding the actual GMs who make the calls don't follow what I nor you think is correct. I mean I can go back pretty much evry year and find multiple dudes we don't know/care about or care about at Thanksgiving who are first rounders and dudes who "locks" to be first rounders who go like in the 5th.
while teams don't always draft completely based off need, rebuilding teams don't typically use 1st round picks on arguably their deepest positions. those picks are few and far between if they do. Most teams will pick based on need unless they feel there is a can't miss player and not another equitable player at a position of need. Is Michael Floyd that type of guy? Is he that much of a better prospect than Alonzo Dennard who could significantly improve Seattle's mediocre pass D? If an OT emerges that would be of value, you can better believe they will go that route.The same goes for the other two guys i mentioned...

Richardson delivers Heisman-worthy performance

Posted Nov. 28, 2011 @ 11 a.m. ET

By Nolan Nawrocki

At this time two years ago, Alabama could not boast of a single Heisman Trophy winner in the illustrious history of the program, but Mark Ingram was very talented. Although only a freshman at the time, Trent Richardson was more special.

After lighting up Auburn for a career-high 203 rushing yards and brandishing his trademark wicked stiff-arm twice on a powerful, reverse-field run that has defined his college career, Richardson could give the Tide their second Heisman Trophy in three years, and allow that 2010 national championship backfield to go down in the college football annals as the most talented ever to share time.

Week after week, Richardson has faced stacked boxes designed to shut him down. Yet, the bowlegged, bruising back has ripped through the best in the Southeastern Conference, which figures to boast a rematch between LSU and Alabama in this year's BCS championship game, and creased the best defenses in the country.

He doesn't have exceptional long speed, as evidenced when he was tracked down from behind against the Tigers after a 57-yard run, but there are few college or NFL backs with his combination of run strength, hip power, balance and vision. He is seldom knocked off his feet, and it takes a small army to bring him down.

For one half, the game was reminiscent of last year's Iron Bowl, when Cam Newton rallied the Tigers back from a three-TD deficit after a horrendous first half on the road, showing competitiveness in that contest that largely convinced Panthers' brass to take a chance on his immense talent.

This year, there was no Newton and no let-up from Alabama, thanks to the nation's most stingy defense, led by savvy defensive coordinator Kirby Smart and captained by two first-round LB talents — Dont'a Hightower and Courtney Upshaw. Both players have come on strong late in the season with the help of a suffocating D-line.

Hightower is the most stout, run-stuffing inside 'backer in this year's draft, and Upshaw, who notched a sack and was an energetic force behind the line against Auburn, might prove to be the best power-leverage rusher.

It was Richardson, however, who took over the second half, wearing down the clock and powering the Tide to a 42-14 victory. He deserves to keep the Heisman in the state of Alabama for the third consecutive year.

• Boston College junior MLB Luke Kuechly picked off Miami (Fla.) QB Jacory Harris and returned it 45 yards for a TD in the Eagles' 24-17 victory on Friday. Kuechly became Boston College's all-time leading tackler in the first half when he notched his 525th stop in only his third season. His three-year production is off the charts and indicative of the best instincts of any linebacker in college football. He might not test through the roof to guarantee a place in the first round, should he declare early, but he will prove to be a tackling machine in the pros.

• Baylor junior QB Robert Griffin III went down with a head injury before the half after taking an impactful hit from Texas Tech's Cornelius Douglas while sliding feet first. Douglas was given a personal-foul penalty and Griffin returned for a few snaps but remained out in the second half. The Bears turned to senior RB Terrance Ganaway in the second half, allowing him to rush for a career-high 246 yards on a school-record 42 carries with two TDs in the 66-42 victory. Ganaway is a thick, bruising back who has worked his way into a draftable standing with a strong senior showing.

• As a converted tight end, evaluators have reason to be intrigued by Auburn senior ORT Brandon Mosley, but he was overmatched vs. Alabama, getting beaten by Courtney Upshaw and mammoth junior DL Jesse Williams and struggling to handle the strength of the Tide's aggressive rush pressure.

• Illinois and Arizona feature two of the most physically talented rosters in college football, and they both started the season superbly before falling apart. A six-game skid after a 6-0 start cost Ron Zook his job, and Dennis Erickson's seat was hot after losing for the fifth time in six games. Coaching changes tend to push young talent, such as Illini DE Whitney Mercilus and Sun Devils LB Vontaze Burfict, out of school early, and could lead to more departures.

• Oregon junior RB LaMichael James did not return after awkwardly bending his left elbow while putting down his hand to brace himself from a fall midway through third quarter. He missed two other games with a dislocated right elbow earlier this season and is proving to be a china doll.

• A week before Wisconsin and Michigan State meet in the inaugural Big Ten Conference championship game, their offensive stars entered the record books. Spartans senior QB Kirk Cousins set the school mark for career TD passes (62) in a 31-17 win over Northwestern with a 29-yard toss to B.J. Cunningham in the fourth quarter. Wisconsin junior RB Montee Ball notched four TDs in a 45-7 rout of Penn State to give him 34 on the season, only five short of Barry Sanders' single-season NCAA record.

Just watched the Nebraska and Wisconsin highlights of Montreal Ball. He looks pretty beastly. Where would you rank him against the other rookie RBs next year? What are his measurables?

I totally agree with you on Jones. However, history has dictated that QB needy teams will reach for a guy in the 1st. Blaine Gabbert is a guy that I wouldn't have taken in the 1st round based on his play in college and even with his supposed upside I still wouldn't have viewed that as enough to make him such a high pick. Also, Christian Ponder going as high as he did, I doubt many people saw that coming. It's examples like those which is why Jones continues to be mocked that highly and why I also suspect we'll see Ryan Tannehill sneak into the 1st round this April. They may not be good enough, but some teams will be desperate enough to land what they think is the next big thing at QB early rather than wait on them.Wilson and Miller are neck-and-neck for me behind Richardson. I think Miller has more speed and better moves, more elusive and a slightly better receiver while Wilson runs with more power. I think both have equally good vision and Wilson's stats also jump off the board at you at first glance while Miller has been up and down. I ultimately think Miller will be a better pro than a college player and while I hate to factor in schools when trying to grade these guys I think Miami produces better RBs than Tech does. I'll be keeping a close eye on both of them at the combine.

You won't get any argument from me on Jeffery. I haven't watched enough of Fuller to really weigh in with any confidence on him but I've not come away too impressed everytime I've seen him though if that tells you something. I really like Dwight Jones from UNC more and more each time I see him play. I think he'd be a dark horse to sneak into the 1st but I love his value in the 2nd and is a guy that depending on his landing spot could be a great pick in the second half of rookie drafts this summer.

Just watched the Nebraska and Wisconsin highlights of Montreal Ball. He looks pretty beastly. Where would you rank him against the other rookie RBs next year? What are his measurables?
The thing with Ball is that he plays behind Wisconsin's fantastic O-Line. His stats are godly but this is the same school that has made the likes of Ron Dayne, PJ Hill and John Clay look outstanding in college. I'm skeptical of him right now but that might change during the pre-draft process when scouts start weighing in.

As I said, he's not going to be a gamebreaker or a RB1 in fantasy, but he's got RB2 upside. I agree that's he's not the most elusive back, but once he's in space he can generate yardage in bunches. I think if you put him on a team that has a good run blocking O-Line he can produce. The fact that he also is a good receiver will keep him on the field and gives him another way to be effective. I don't think he'll be the type of back that can move piles and maul defenders for extra yards, but stick him on a team like Cleveland for example who can block and he'll produce. If Peyton Hillis can be effective catching passes and running behind that O-Line I see no reason why Polk couldn't do something similar, he's a much more talented runner even if he's not built like a tank or can juke guys out of their jock. Situation is going to be a big factor in where I finally rank him for rookie drafts though.

Big-name defensive players hurt draft stock with letdown seasons

Tony Pauline

After 11 weeks of columns focusing on prospects moving up draft boards, enough players to fill the first three rounds of next April's draft, its time to focus on the sliders. Here are 15 prospects, including some big-ime college players, who have watched their draft stock fall since the college season began three months ago.

Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State*: Possibly no player has dropped down draft boards faster this season than Burfict. He entered the campaign ranked as a potential top five pick, but his immaturity has cost him at least half a round, if not more. He's been consistently flagged for unsportsmanlike penalties, and it has cost his team dearly. Scouts say Burfict shows little in the way of controlling his temper, which has NFL decision-makers concerned.

Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina: Coples was considered the top senior prospect in the nation by many scouts entering the season, but his play this year has been uninspired. He's flashed brilliance, but has shown little in the way of consistency. Initially considered a top-five pick, Coples could fall out of the draft's top 10 choices.

Devin Taylor, DE-OLB, South Carolina*: Taylor was another player who entered the season ranked as a potential early first round pick. He's taken a backseat to a pair of teammates, though -- freshman sensation Jadeveon Clowney and senior Melvin Ingram, who is rocketing up draft boards. Taylor, who is expected to enter the draft, has fallen into the middle of the first round.

Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska: Crick received first round grades prior to the season despite doubters in the scouting community. He totaled just a single sack with 3 tackles for loss before a torn pectoral muscle ended his season just five games in. He is now likely to fall out of the first round.

Billy Winn, DT, Boise State: NFL scouts believe Winn possesses first-round physical skills, but are concerned by his inconsistent play on the field. He's posted just 29 tackles, 6 tackles for loss and 1 sack in 10 games this year and has never been truly productive in college. Expect Winn to land somewhere in the middle of the second round next April.

Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M: Fuller has struggled most of the year after being considered one of the top senior receiver prospects when the season began. The big-bodied receiver doesn't display natural pass-catching skills and drops too many catchable throws. Once ranked as a second-round choice, Fuller has fallen into the bottom half of the third frame and could drop even lower.

Bruce Irvin, DE-OLB, West Virginia: Scouts graded Irvin as one of the best pass-rushers in the land and a potential first-round pick after he registered 14 sacks in 2010. But he's posted half that amount this year as opponents have figured out his game. As a result, Irvin is no longer being mentioned as a top 32 selection.

Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin: Toon is reliable, but has not displayed a dominant aspect of his game. Labeled a top-40 pick in September, Toon could drop into the third round unless he pulls off a sensational workout prior to the draft.

Brandon Lindsey, OLB, Pittsburgh: Lindsey was a pass-rushing terror at defensive end in 2010 and a highly rated prospect scouts project to rush linebacker in the NFL. But the Panther has struggled on a number of levels this season. Early in the campaign he looked lost when asked to play the linebacker position, and his production on the field has fallen below expectations. His play this season will end up dropping Lindsey at least one round in the draft.

Matt Reynolds, T, BYU: Reynolds bypassed last April's draft after suffering a shoulder injury and entered the season with high expectations from scouts. Thus far, though, he has looked soft and been a huge disappointment. Once considered a potential top-75 choice, Reynolds will now be a last-day selection.

Nate Potter/T/Boise State: Potter looked like a star early in his college career, but his play has regressed and many scouts think his best football is behind him. Graded as first-round material just two years ago, most scouts have stamped Potter with a fifth-round grade.

Tony Dye, S, UCLA: Dye was considered by many NFL scouts as a better prospect than former teammate Rahim Moore, the second round choice of the Denver Broncos last April. But Dye's play this season has been poor as he seems to lack instincts, giving up a fair number of big plays. He's dropped from a potential middle-round choice into the late part of the draft.

Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State: Lindley, whom I referred to as the most underrated prospect in the nation in August, has looked pedestrian all season. He stumbled early in the year against Michigan and never got his game on track. Lindley has struggled with his accuracy all season and as a result will drop into the late rounds of the draft.

Chris Owusu, WR, Stanford: Owusu possesses the physical skills necessary to start at the next level, but has been red-flagged with medical concerns. Suffering three concussions over a 13 month period, Owusu will fall into the very late rounds of the draft after initially being graded as a top-60 prospect.

Juron Criner, WR, Arizona: Criner has proved himself to be a game-controlling wideout throughout his college career. He possesses the skills to line up as a third receiver in the NFL. But personalities issues and concerns Criner is not "coachable" have made a big dent in his draft stock. There are whispers in the scouting community that Criner will fall into the late rounds of April's draft and could even wind up undrafted.

Coples has been picking it up lately after a slow start to the season at a new position. He'll be a top-8 pick. Dude's unstoppable.

Users who are viewing this thread