What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WIS MMXI: Back to the Future Edition-Rules & Signup Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
This has been a :lmao: pet project for a couple of years to combine WIS and regular fantasy baseball. Let's make it happen this year.

New to WIS? - see What If Sports for more details.

In short, there will be a pre-season draft of MLB players on spec. There will be opportunities during the year to drop/add a limited number of players, and full trades during the real-life and WIS seasons up to the WIS trade deadline. In late-October when the 2011 WIS season is available, we load up the teams and play a season of fake baseball.

Discussion points:

How many teams? In 2010, there were 514 WIS eligible position players and 470 pitchers, but a lot of these guys are low usage players. With 24 teams may be a struggle to fill rosters but we'll see how much interest there is.

Draft rules? A snake draft is easiest. A slow auction would be better but may not be manageable. I don't think we need to draft entire 25 man rosters before the season, but that's debateable.

Drops & adds: I don't think normal real time add/drops will make sense in this format. Other alternatives include a couple of mini-redrafts during the season or a monthly waivers process.

In or out?

Other

Last edited by a moderator:
In, provided we don't start for at least a week. Not that I could see how we could.

I might suggest we use the "draft your own AAA" option. That would give everyone more than 25 players.

Go with 24 teams if we can get them.

Draft 25 players now. Have three 2-round supplemental drafts during the season (whenever) and a 2-round supplemental draft at the end of the season. Then you can use all of them by putting them at AAA.

If anyone doesn't make the WIS minimum (50 AB or 25 IP, I think) you get an extra pick or two or whatever AFTER the end of season supplemental draft.

Good info on the draft your own AAA business. I didn't know that was an option.

How do you move players between AAA and big league roster during the season. I'm a minor noob since we've never used it, except for possibly Sim #1.

Back to the future? Drafting players form the years the back to the future movies were released? :kicksrock:

I might have to take a partner for this one, I am moving to DC in mid Feb so I just won't have much time. Maybe I can get Kraft to come back as a partner, I'll ask.

IN

Sadly I kinda lost interest in the last one, but I've been intrigued by this format.

I think 16 teams would be best but I'm not really in favor of turning people away.

As far as supplemental drafting... maybe we could have some sort of blind bidding/auction system? It would add some flexibility. If you need a bunch of injury replacements you can spread your cash around. If not, you can load up to get some guy who had a fluke season.

Back to the future? Drafting players form the years the back to the future movies were released? :kicksrock: I might have to take a partner for this one, I am moving to DC in mid Feb so I just won't have much time. Maybe I can get Kraft to come back as a partner, I'll ask.
Partners would be good for this format in general. We're better off with less teams anyway. And it reduces the chance of someone disappearing over the course of the season.

I wonder if there will still be interest by the time we actually draft. Just saying.

I'm out for this one. I work overnights now, so I'd totally SCBF this thing.

this is a very different game than the normal WIS drafts, so i'm sure i'll be bad at it, but i'll give it a shot.

Good info on the draft your own AAA business. I didn't know that was an option.How do you move players between AAA and big league roster during the season. I'm a minor noob since we've never used it, except for possibly Sim #1.
In the GM center, there is a place where your AAA is listed, so you can call people up at any time. You just have to keep 25 on the major league roster all the time. Typically rosters lock at game 120 and you can't send players up/down but the league commish can make it game 159 if necessary.You have to leave players down in AAA for 1 day (3 games) once you send them down.6 AAA hitters and 2 AAA pitchers is the minimum that you can get, if we had less we'd end up with some sim-generated guys which is no fun.Thinking this through, you'd have to draft at least 12 + 6 hitters and couldn't draft more than 19+6. For pitchers you'd have to draft at least 6 + 2 and you couldn't draft more than 12 + 2.

Let's think about some provisions for teams that draft a snake-bit squad, and are left way short on PAs or IPs. The mini-drafts can help some, but I can still see a drafter at the end of the 2011 MLB season knowing that their sim team will blow chunks.

Let's think about some provisions for teams that draft a snake-bit squad, and are left way short on PAs or IPs. The mini-drafts can help some, but I can still see a drafter at the end of the 2011 MLB season knowing that their sim team will blow chunks.
That's why I don't think we should draft 25 players in the pre-season. If we limited the initial draft to 15-18 picks, there would more depth in the supplemental draft pool. If we started the first supplemental around the All-star break, people would have some idea where their PA/IP shortfalls will be.

That's why I don't think we should draft 25 players in the pre-season. If we limited the initial draft to 15-18 picks, there would more depth in the supplemental draft pool. If we started the first supplemental around the All-star break, people would have some idea where their PA/IP shortfalls will be.
What if we just take this draft 40 players deep, and then let the user manager their 25-man roster like a major league club would? Allows people to make more speculative picks, eliminates the need for a supplemental draft, eliminates the possibility that someone benefits from a poor draft by being able to pick up key players that went undrafted, and also creates an environment that encourages in-season trades and roster moves.

RnR said:
Eephus said:
Doug B said:
What if we just take this draft 40 players deep, and then let the user manager their 25-man roster like a major league club would? Allows people to make more speculative picks, eliminates the need for a supplemental draft, eliminates the possibility that someone benefits from a poor draft by being able to pick up key players that went undrafted, and also creates an environment that encourages in-season trades and roster moves.
That's another way of doing it. The obvious downside is a much longer pre-season draft. It's debatable which approach would generate more in-season engagement.

RnR said:
Eephus said:
Doug B said:
That's another way of doing it. The obvious downside is a much longer pre-season draft. It's debatable which approach would generate more in-season engagement.
The other downside is I suppose it's still possible that someone gets unlucky and doesn't have enough PAs/IP.However, I really like the idea of watching my 40 man roster throughout the year and see which guys I would pick for my 25.I suppose we could do 30 now and 10 at the all star break?

RnR said:
Eephus said:
Doug B said:
So if we draft 40...We can have say $100 in auction money and bid on free agents during the season every week or two. We also allow trades. It would force owners to decide early in the season how much a surprise player is worth and create the risk of wasting your free agent money on a flash in the pan.

My thoughts on the PA and IP situation with the 40-man roster are that someone will probably have an excess amount of AB's or IP's that could be available for trade in exchange for higher quality, lower quantity players. I think that also works into the draft strategy. Am I going to draft Jon Garland or Kyle Drabek? Well, if you want to feel confident in your IP numbers, you probably grab Garland. If you have a supplemental draft to fall back on, you take a guy like Drabek every time and hope he busts out. I just think it adds an interesting dynamic to player valuation when reliability has to be involved.

The 40 man draft has some :lmao: appeal but the endgame seems like it would mostly be a waste of time. The big draft would eventually wind down to potential September callups who will be lucky to meet the WIS PA/IP minimums.

The appeal of this sim for me comes in November when the fake games start. The more level we can make the playing field leading up to that, the better IMO. A partial pre-season draft followed by supplemental drafts or periodic waiver runs would allow the teams and momentum to build over the year. If we draft 800+ players in Feb-Mar, I'm afraid we're shooting our wad too early and everything, including the sim itself will be an anticlimax.

The fake season after the real season is what sets this apart from normal fantasy leagues. We shouldn't be too tied to the conventions of how regular teams are drafted.

The 40 man draft has some :) appeal but the endgame seems like it would mostly be a waste of time. The big draft would eventually wind down to potential September callups who will be lucky to meet the WIS PA/IP minimums.The appeal of this sim for me comes in November when the fake games start. The more level we can make the playing field leading up to that, the better IMO. A partial pre-season draft followed by supplemental drafts or periodic waiver runs would allow the teams and momentum to build over the year. If we draft 800+ players in Feb-Mar, I'm afraid we're shooting our wad too early and everything, including the sim itself will be an anticlimax. The fake season after the real season is what sets this apart from normal fantasy leagues. We shouldn't be too tied to the conventions of how regular teams are drafted.
So why draft in advance? If we're not interested in rewarding the "skill" of projecting the outcome of a player's season, and we're more concerned with making sure that we have 24 balanced teams, we should just wait until October and draft with a known player set.

The 40 man draft has some :lmao: appeal but the endgame seems like it would mostly be a waste of time. The big draft would eventually wind down to potential September callups who will be lucky to meet the WIS PA/IP minimums.The appeal of this sim for me comes in November when the fake games start. The more level we can make the playing field leading up to that, the better IMO. A partial pre-season draft followed by supplemental drafts or periodic waiver runs would allow the teams and momentum to build over the year. If we draft 800+ players in Feb-Mar, I'm afraid we're shooting our wad too early and everything, including the sim itself will be an anticlimax. The fake season after the real season is what sets this apart from normal fantasy leagues. We shouldn't be too tied to the conventions of how regular teams are drafted.
So why draft in advance? If we're not interested in rewarding the "skill" of projecting the outcome of a player's season, and we're more concerned with making sure that we have 24 balanced teams, we should just wait until October and draft with a known player set.
I tend to agree with RnR here, but could see doing something where we have an auction/draft for the first 10 (pick you number) and then a supp auction/draft every week for one player per roster. That gets some of the skill of projecting in there with the ability to catch back up if need be. Ideally this would be auction league where everyone gets $240 (or whatever number) to start for the entire year.Much like fantasy, people will get killed by injuries no matter what we do. I also think it sort of has to be an auction. Hell if we start now and do one player per team per week we'd be done right around the time WIS would need to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 40 man draft has some :lmao: appeal but the endgame seems like it would mostly be a waste of time. The big draft would eventually wind down to potential September callups who will be lucky to meet the WIS PA/IP minimums.The appeal of this sim for me comes in November when the fake games start. The more level we can make the playing field leading up to that, the better IMO. A partial pre-season draft followed by supplemental drafts or periodic waiver runs would allow the teams and momentum to build over the year. If we draft 800+ players in Feb-Mar, I'm afraid we're shooting our wad too early and everything, including the sim itself will be an anticlimax. The fake season after the real season is what sets this apart from normal fantasy leagues. We shouldn't be too tied to the conventions of how regular teams are drafted.
Because that would be pretty much like every other sim fishing variant we've ever come up with. The core of most teams will be set in a 15 round pre-season draft. But in-season supplementals or waivers would allow teams to make adjustments for injuries, underperformance, role changes, etc.No matter what we do to promote trading, it never seems like there's a lot of it. I don't think we can count on a lot of trading happening this time, even with the big rosters. My concern is because everybody participates in other leagues, their teams in this sim will be pretty much forgotten between March and October. Anything we can do to sustain interest through the season is a good thing IMO.

Much like fantasy, people will get killed by injuries no matter what we do.
Different from regular fantasy baseball, however, is that we'd know before the season played out whether or not our team's are killed by injuries.The situation I'm concerned about is that in which a few teams, in early November, look at their weak squads and then back out of the actual sim.

Much like fantasy, people will get killed by injuries no matter what we do.
Different from regular fantasy baseball, however, is that we'd know before the season played out whether or not our team's are killed by injuries.The situation I'm concerned about is that in which a few teams, in early November, look at their weak squads and then back out of the actual sim.
I was torn between the big and small drafts when we started but as I've thought about it more, I think small draft is the way to go. This also allows me to play the Cheyenne contrary warrior vs. RnR.It wouldn't bother me if we entered October with partial rosters. If worse comes to worse and somebody bails, the replacement owner would at least have some control over their team.

I would prefer a larger roster in the preseason draft as opposed to a smaller one, but whatever you guys wanna do is fine.

Back to the future? Drafting players form the years the back to the future movies were released? :X I might have to take a partner for this one, I am moving to DC in mid Feb so I just won't have much time. Maybe I can get Kraft to come back as a partner, I'll ask.
I would partner with you if you wanted. I don't know much about WIS but seems cool. Did a basketball league with some of these guys last year

Based on the conversation so far I am assuming we need to make one major decision.

Do we want to draft this in the pre-season and leave it alone as much as possible until the sim?

Or do we want this to be an ongoing participation throughout the season?

Users who are viewing this thread