What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which Franchise Has The Best QBs? (1 Viewer)

Over The Last 50 Years, Which Franchise Has The Best QBs?

• Packers - Starr, Favre, Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 49ers - Montana, Young

• Colts - Unitas, Jones, Manning

• Steelers - Bradshaw, Roethlisberger

• Cowboys - Staubach, Aikman

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Spin off of Mike & Mike radio this week.

Over the last 50 years, what franchise has the best QBs?

Let's hear it.

Also - Hall of Famer Y.A. Tittle is in the mix there for Baltimore and San Francisco but he did most of his work with the Giants so I'm leaving him out.

J

Added PIT and DAL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I chuckled at the inclusion of Bert Jones. In the pantheon of all time great QBs, I don't see how Jones even got mentioned. He was a top QB for 3 seasons and an MVP in one of them, but htat was about it. IMO, it's also a bit premature to include Rodgers, so I would look at it as which franchise had the best pair of QBs.

A couple others at least worth mentioning . . .

Dolphins - Griese & Marino

Redskins - Baugh & Jurgensen

Rams - Waterfield & Van Brocklin

(not that many here will remember them)

I cannot vote on this topic. Most of the guys in this poll were retired before I started even watching football. It would be impossible for me to understand their impact on the game without also knowing the style of play in that era, what other teams were like, what their team defenses attributed to their success and so on and so forth.

With this in mind, I would have to say the niners. I know Montana was great and I was around to see Young. I don't think Ben Roth deserves to be put in this conversation just yet and I just don't have that much faith in his play. Manning is the only Colts QB I really know. The jury is still out on Rodgers, as longevity plays a roll in your test for greatness (for most players) as good as he looks right now.

Either Colts or 49ers. Both have 2 of the top 10 (at worst) QBs in the history of the league. Went with Colts.

Gotta go with the 49ers, since Young and Montana are two of the best five quarterbacks I've ever seen play.

I'd be more interested in the "Worst QBs" list. Bears, Lions, Cards. Who else?
or "Which franchise has been best staffed at the starting QB position over the past 50 years?" a slightly different question again.
I added up the number of QBs that led their team in passing yardage for each season. Here is a breakdown of the total # of QBs that led their team in passing each year (sorted by lowest percentage to highest percentage).Team, # of QBs, # of Seasons, %JAX 03 16 .188HOU 02 09 .222GBP 12 51 .235IND 12 51 .235SEA 09 35 .257DAL 14 51 .275SFO 14 51 .275NEP 14 51 .275TEN 14 51 .275CIN 12 43 .279MIA 13 45 .289KCC 15 51 .294ATL 14 45 .311NYG 16 51 .314SDC 16 51 .314STL 16 51 .314MIN 16 50 .320CLE 17 51 .333OAK 17 51 .333PIT 17 51 .333WAS 17 51 .333BUF 18 51 .353DEN 18 51 .353PHI 18 51 .353NOS 16 44 .364ARI 19 51 .373NYJ 20 51 .392CAR 07 16 .438TBB 16 35 .457CHI 24 51 .471DET 24 51 .471BAL 08 15 .533

Colts. Though I agree it is laughable that Jones was brought into the discussion.
To be clear, Jones was included on Mike & Mike, not in my group.I don't disagree there. There are a fair number of NFL MVPs that don't fall into that great group of players.J

Colts. Though I agree it is laughable that Jones was brought into the discussion.
I think they were talking about a team's top 3.It started with the thought of how many have had a run of QBs to like Starr, Favre, and Rodgers. Then they brought up SF and Indy/Balt and included Jones and Tittle as their 3rd.

I voted 49ers for now. IM :shrug: O Rodgers can make it a complete non-discussion if he keeps up his play for 7 more years or so.

I voted 49ers for now. IM :shock: O Rodgers can make it a complete non-discussion if he keeps up his play for 7 more years or so.
I'm kinda worried about his concussions though. 2 in just this season alone. Wasn't it concussions that ended Young's career a bit early? For what it's worth, I like seeing Rodgers play. I hope that he can sustain the hits.

I voted 49ers.

Best Black QBs? Philly (Cunningham, McNabb, Vick) beats out Minny (Moon, Culpepper, Tavaris Jackson)

I voted 49ers.Best Black QBs? Philly (Cunningham, McNabb, Vick) beats out Minny (Moon, Culpepper, Tavaris Jackson)
Houston/TN in the mix too Moon, McNair, Young > Minn IMO (but you have to credit them for a few years with Cunningham too)

Chargers had some decent QBs over the years (some not known as Chargers):

Jack Kemp

Johnny Unitas

John Hadl

Dan Fouts

Jim Harbaugh

Jim Everett

Stan Humphries

Doug Flutie

Drew Brees

Phil Rivers

Eli Manning for about 2 hours. :confused:

Trent Green got cut.

oh, and Ryan Leaf. :bag:

Niners. Not even close.
How old are you 12? Bart Starr won more championships than Montana and Young combined. Farve holds almost every major record and Rodgers just completed one of the greatest postseason runs ever. But since you probably don't know anyone who played before 1980 you say Its not even close, laughable.Johnny Unitas may be the greatest QB to ever play the game (But he played way before 1980) in an era before pass interference was legal Johnny U threw TDs in 47 consecutive games a record that still stands, I love Bert Jones but he is nothing but a bridge to Manning who will break every one of Farves records except INTs. Yet you say SF and its not even close. Do a little research, get a since of the history of the game and maybe you won't make any more crazy statments.

Montana is better than Starr, Favre, Rodgers,Unitas, Jones, Manning,Bradshaw, Roethlisberger,Staubach, Aikman,and Young combined.

Voted Colts, and was surprised to see they are third in the voting. IMO Unitas and Montana are the two greatest ever, so I consider them a wash. But I don't see ranking Young above Manning, so to me the Colts take it. As for the Packers, I guess it depends on whether or not people are projecting forward for Rodgers; if we rank them to date, IMO they fall third in this group, because Rodgers can't carry that much weight here.

1. Colts

2. 49ers

3. Packers

I heard Mike & Mike, and they stipulated best 3 QBs. I think that's a more interesting discussion, because lots of teams had a great duo but few have had three good ones.

If you go with best duo, it has to be the Colts and it's not even close. In the NFL Network's recent list of Top 100 players, Unitas is 6 and Manning is 8. Montana is 3 and Young is 81. Average of 7th greatest player of all time, vs. average of 42nd.

It gets a lot trickier when you put in 3. The Packers go shooting way up the list, past SF. And then you have to decide between Green Bay and the Colts. I wouldn't laugh off Bert Jones or anoint Rodgers yet. Being an NFL MVP is a significant accomplishment, and in his prime Jones was pretty much the player that Rodgers is right now. I would argue that Manning and Favre are about equal, that Unitas has a decent edge over Starr, and that right now Jones and Rodgers are very equivalent. So I give the Colts the edge for now, but expect that with the trajectory that Rodgers is on and the likelihood that his success will not be cut short like Jones's was, that the Packers will pass them after a couple more seasons.

Tough one. For me it's between the 49'ers and the Colts. The 49'ers certainly have a ton of SB's between their two QB's but their teams were pretty stacked from top to bottom. The Colts have had Unitas and Manning...and that's about it.

I'm old enough to have watched Montana, Young, and Manning, but I'd have to say if I were to start a team tomorrow and I had my choice of those 3 QB's to start with, I'd take Manning and give him some weapons. Could you imagine the numbers/championships Manning would have on those 49'er championship teams?

So with that said, I'd have to go with the Colts since we are talking about QB's and not teams.

*eta - You forgot to add Jeff George to the Colts lineup.

:kicksrock:

I heard Mike & Mike, and they stipulated best 3 QBs. I think that's a more interesting discussion, because lots of teams had a great duo but few have had three good ones. If you go with best duo, it has to be the Colts and it's not even close. In the NFL Network's recent list of Top 100 players, Unitas is 6 and Manning is 8. Montana is 3 and Young is 81.
I suppose if you just want to use someone else's rankings instead of your own, that would be correct.

Niners. Not even close.
How old are you 12? Bart Starr won more championships than Montana and Young combined. Farve holds almost every major record and Rodgers just completed one of the greatest postseason runs ever. But since you probably don't know anyone who played before 1980 you say Its not even close, laughable.Johnny Unitas may be the greatest QB to ever play the game (But he played way before 1980) in an era before pass interference was legal Johnny U threw TDs in 47 consecutive games a record that still stands, I love Bert Jones but he is nothing but a bridge to Manning who will break every one of Farves records except INTs. Yet you say SF and its not even close. Do a little research, get a since of the history of the game and maybe you won't make any more crazy statments.
Lighten up, Francis.

It gets a lot trickier when you put in 3. The Packers go shooting way up the list, past SF. And then you have to decide between Green Bay and the Colts. I wouldn't laugh off Bert Jones or anoint Rodgers yet. Being an NFL MVP is a significant accomplishment, and in his prime Jones was pretty much the player that Rodgers is right now. I would argue that Manning and Favre are about equal, that Unitas has a decent edge over Starr, and that right now Jones and Rodgers are very equivalent. So I give the Colts the edge for now, but expect that with the trajectory that Rodgers is on and the likelihood that his success will not be cut short like Jones's was, that the Packers will pass them after a couple more seasons.
Why do the Packers shoot way up the list if you aren't ready to anoint Rodgers yet? The Packers' strength in a 3 QB race is based on anointing Rodgers.

Niners. Not even close.
Lighten up, Francis.
Give him a break. He's only 13.

I heard Mike & Mike, and they stipulated best 3 QBs. I think that's a more interesting discussion, because lots of teams had a great duo but few have had three good ones. If you go with best duo, it has to be the Colts and it's not even close. In the NFL Network's recent list of Top 100 players, Unitas is 6 and Manning is 8. Montana is 3 and Young is 81.
I suppose if you just want to use someone else's rankings instead of your own, that would be correct.
In my rankings, Unitas is the #3 player of all time. But I went with NFL Network's for the purposes of supporting my argument, as I thought a blue ribbon panel of former players, executives and journalists would carry more weight than my opinion.

I heard Mike & Mike, and they stipulated best 3 QBs. I think that's a more interesting discussion, because lots of teams had a great duo but few have had three good ones. If you go with best duo, it has to be the Colts and it's not even close. In the NFL Network's recent list of Top 100 players, Unitas is 6 and Manning is 8. Montana is 3 and Young is 81. Average of 7th greatest player of all time, vs. average of 42nd.It gets a lot trickier when you put in 3. The Packers go shooting way up the list, past SF. And then you have to decide between Green Bay and the Colts. I wouldn't laugh off Bert Jones or anoint Rodgers yet. Being an NFL MVP is a significant accomplishment, and in his prime Jones was pretty much the player that Rodgers is right now. I would argue that Manning and Favre are about equal, that Unitas has a decent edge over Starr, and that right now Jones and Rodgers are very equivalent. So I give the Colts the edge for now, but expect that with the trajectory that Rodgers is on and the likelihood that his success will not be cut short like Jones's was, that the Packers will pass them after a couple more seasons.
Maybe you remember Bert Jones differently than I do. Yes, he was great for one season where he was MVP, All Pro, and selected to the Pro Bowl. Yes, he had a cannon for an arm. Yes, he had some injuries. I'll give you that from 1975 to 1977 he was one of the better QBs in the league. But that's about it. Consider . . .He played 10 seasons and his MVP season was his only Pro Bowl nod.He had a career 47-49 record as a starter. (Basically he went a combined 16-38 in all his other seasons outside the 75-77 period).He never won a playoff game (0-3) with a post season passer rating of 59.8.He only had 5 seasons with 300 attempts or more than 10 starts in a season.He was Top 5 in the league in yards 3 times and TD twice.If that's the best the Colts can offer as their #3 all time QB, then they really don't have much to offer past Manning and Unitas. Maybe he is their best option, but with all the other HOF QBs that were in the discussion on Mike & Mike, he didn't seem to fit.We don't know what Rodgers will do heading forward, but we do know what Jones did overall. And as things stand now, Rodgers has the highest career QB rating in the history of the NFL, both in the regular season and in the post season.

I heard Mike & Mike, and they stipulated best 3 QBs. I think that's a more interesting discussion, because lots of teams had a great duo but few have had three good ones.

If you go with best duo, it has to be the Colts and it's not even close. In the NFL Network's recent list of Top 100 players, Unitas is 6 and Manning is 8. Montana is 3 and Young is 81. Average of 7th greatest player of all time, vs. average of 42nd.

Maybe you remember Bert Jones differently than I do. Yes, he was great for one season where he was MVP, All Pro, and selected to the Pro Bowl. Yes, he had a cannon for an arm. Yes, he had some injuries. I'll give you that from 1975 to 1977 he was one of the better QBs in the league. But that's about it. Consider . . .He played 10 seasons and his MVP season was his only Pro Bowl nod.

He had a career 47-49 record as a starter. (Basically he went a combined 16-38 in all his other seasons outside the 75-77 period).

He never won a playoff game (0-3) with a post season passer rating of 59.8.

He only had 5 seasons with 300 attempts or more than 10 starts in a season.

He was Top 5 in the league in yards 3 times and TD twice.

If that's the best the Colts can offer as their #3 all time QB, then they really don't have much to offer past Manning and Unitas. Maybe he is their best option, but with all the other HOF QBs that were in the discussion on Mike & Mike, he didn't seem to fit.

We don't know what Rodgers will do heading forward, but we do know what Jones did overall. And as things stand now, Rodgers has the highest career QB rating in the history of the NFL, both in the regular season and in the post season.
I think you're doing a real disservice to Bert Jones. I remember him as a legitimately great QB for 3 seasons 1975-1977. 1975, 1976 and 1977 were his first three seasons as a full-time starter and his team won its division all three years (31-11 record). Yes he never won a playoff game but he faced the Steelers dynasty twice and then lost a double overtime classic to the Raiders. I checked some of his numbers on Pro Football Reference. If people had been playing fantasy football back then Jones would have been one of the top QB's taken. He finished 3rd, 1st, and 2nd in QB fantasy points over the 1975-1977 period. Rodgers over the last three years? 3rd, 1st and 2nd. Checking out some other numbers, Jones' Approximate Values for 1975, 1976 and 1977 were 16, 22, and 15. Rodgers over the past three years scores 15, 19, 15. Jones' Passer Rating Indexes for the 1975-1977 period are 123, 139, 118. Rodgers over the past three years scores 113, 124, 119. (Incidentally, Roger Staubach was the best quarterback in the league (IMO) when Jones was at his peak and Staubach's AVs for 1975-1977 were 14, 14, 17.)

Jones suffered a severe shoulder injury in 1978, barely played for two years, and was never the same player again. He was 27. He could have been one of the all-time greats.

Addendum: Belichick lists Bert Jones as one of his all-time QB's

"As a pure passer I don't think I could put anybody ahead of Bert Jones. I know he had a short career and the shoulder injury, but when I was there and he was just starting his career, the success that he had and his ability to throw the ball as a pure passer and as an athlete, it would be hard to put anybody ahead of Bert Jones at that point in time."

Tough one. For me it's between the 49'ers and the Colts. The 49'ers certainly have a ton of SB's between their two QB's but their teams were pretty stacked from top to bottom. The Colts have had Unitas and Manning...and that's about it. I'm old enough to have watched Montana, Young, and Manning, but I'd have to say if I were to start a team tomorrow and I had my choice of those 3 QB's to start with, I'd take Manning and give him some weapons. Could you imagine the numbers/championships Manning would have on those 49'er championship teams?
You've got to be kidding. You talk like Manning has had no weapons, but over the course of his career, he has had FOUR first team All-Pro players at the skill positions. FOUR! I'd be curious as to how many other quarterbacks have had that many first team All-Pros around them. Certainly no others while Manning has been playing.

Tough one. For me it's between the 49'ers and the Colts. The 49'ers certainly have a ton of SB's between their two QB's but their teams were pretty stacked from top to bottom. The Colts have had Unitas and Manning...and that's about it. I'm old enough to have watched Montana, Young, and Manning, but I'd have to say if I were to start a team tomorrow and I had my choice of those 3 QB's to start with, I'd take Manning and give him some weapons. Could you imagine the numbers/championships Manning would have on those 49'er championship teams?
You've got to be kidding. You talk like Manning has had no weapons, but over the course of his career, he has had FOUR first team All-Pro players at the skill positions. FOUR! I'd be curious as to how many other quarterbacks have had that many first team All-Pros around them. Certainly no others while Manning has been playing.
:headbang:

Gotta go with the 49ers, since Young and Montana are two of the best five quarterbacks I've ever seen play.
Even though I can't stand the 49ers, I have to agree that both these QB's were 2 of the best I ever seen play.So yes I voted the 49ers.

And how many of them were first team All-Pro because they had Manning as there QB?

I think you're doing a real disservice to Bert Jones. I remember him as a legitimately great QB for 3 seasons 1975-1977. 1975, 1976 and 1977 were his first three seasons as a full-time starter and his team won its division all three years (31-11 record). Yes he never won a playoff game but he faced the Steelers dynasty twice and then lost a double overtime classic to the Raiders.

I checked some of his numbers on Pro Football Reference. If people had been playing fantasy football back then Jones would have been one of the top QB's taken. He finished 3rd, 1st, and 2nd in QB fantasy points over the 1975-1977 period. Rodgers over the last three years? 3rd, 1st and 2nd. Checking out some other numbers, Jones' Approximate Values for 1975, 1976 and 1977 were 16, 22, and 15. Rodgers over the past three years scores 15, 19, 15. Jones' Passer Rating Indexes for the 1975-1977 period are 123, 139, 118. Rodgers over the past three years scores 113, 124, 119. (Incidentally, Roger Staubach was the best quarterback in the league (IMO) when Jones was at his peak and Staubach's AVs for 1975-1977 were 14, 14, 17.)

Jones suffered a severe shoulder injury in 1978, barely played for two years, and was never the same player again. He was 27. He could have been one of the all-time greats.
I remember Jones at the tail end when he was still very good and then him struggling to get back on the field and never being the same. I already said he was one of the best in the league in those three years. But are we to ignore that either a) he still played several other years and didn't do much afterward, or b) that we are only to look at his limited body of work as a top player and pretend he did that for 15 years?I suspect if we went through time and picked out players that had three year stretches at various positons where they were very productive there would be an extensive list. Maybe they got hurt, maybe they got traded, maybe their QB retired, who knows. Billy Simms was a great RB for a few years, yet is he mentioned in the same strat as other legendary backs?

My point on Bert Jones was that the other QBs they were discussing were the top shelf of the elite. If he had gone on to play at the same level and had some post season success and led a team to the SB then, sure, I have no problem discussing him as a truly great player. He could have been great for a long time, but sadly injuries prevented that. Put another way, if Montana had three decent years, no SB rings, and then pretty much had to pack it in, I doubt anyone would be talking about Montana in the debate of GOAT.

I think you're doing a real disservice to Bert Jones. I remember him as a legitimately great QB for 3 seasons 1975-1977. 1975, 1976 and 1977 were his first three seasons as a full-time starter and his team won its division all three years (31-11 record). Yes he never won a playoff game but he faced the Steelers dynasty twice and then lost a double overtime classic to the Raiders.

I checked some of his numbers on Pro Football Reference. If people had been playing fantasy football back then Jones would have been one of the top QB's taken. He finished 3rd, 1st, and 2nd in QB fantasy points over the 1975-1977 period. Rodgers over the last three years? 3rd, 1st and 2nd. Checking out some other numbers, Jones' Approximate Values for 1975, 1976 and 1977 were 16, 22, and 15. Rodgers over the past three years scores 15, 19, 15. Jones' Passer Rating Indexes for the 1975-1977 period are 123, 139, 118. Rodgers over the past three years scores 113, 124, 119. (Incidentally, Roger Staubach was the best quarterback in the league (IMO) when Jones was at his peak and Staubach's AVs for 1975-1977 were 14, 14, 17.)

I remember Jones at the tail end when he was still very good and then him struggling to get back on the field and never being the same. I already said he was one of the best in the league in those three years. But are we to ignore that either a) he still played several other years and didn't do much afterward, or b) that we are only to look at his limited body of work as a top player and pretend he did that for 15 years?I suspect if we went through time and picked out players that had three year stretches at various positons where they were very productive there would be an extensive list. Maybe they got hurt, maybe they got traded, maybe their QB retired, who knows. Billy Simms was a great RB for a few years, yet is he mentioned in the same strat as other legendary backs?

My point on Bert Jones was that the other QBs they were discussing were the top shelf of the elite. If he had gone on to play at the same level and had some post season success and led a team to the SB then, sure, I have no problem discussing him as a truly great player. He could have been great for a long time, but sadly injuries prevented that. Put another way, if Montana had three decent years, no SB rings, and then pretty much had to pack it in, I doubt anyone would be talking about Montana in the debate of GOAT.
I agree. I'm just echoing what The_Man said earlier. As of this moment Jones and Rodgers are comparable; Jones before his injury was pretty much where Rodgers is right now. We have no idea how the rest of Rodgers' career will play out. It makes just as much sense to include Jones in the best Colts QB discussion as it does to include Rodgers in the best Packers QB discussion.

Even though I can't stand the 49ers, I have to agree that both these QB's were 2 of the best I ever seen play.So yes I voted the 49ers.
The question isn't who is the best you have ever seen, its who's the best.I never saw Ruth play baseball but I'm smart enough to know he was probably the best ever.Just because you never saw Unitas or Starr, or Otto Graham play doesn't mean the weren't great.

I have to go with the Colts. I think Montana is the greatest of all time, but Young falls outside my top 5. Meanwhile Unitas would rank 2nd on my list and Manning 3rd, so that gives them the nod IMO. Neither of Starr or Favre make my top 5 list, and both are behind Young, so they're a bit back still. However, Rodgers has the chance to be better than any third QB the Colts or the 9ers have had so that would give them a boost in a few years assuming he continues his stellar play.

I never said that Bert Jones is an all-time elite player. I brought his name up after I said that this discussion gets a lot more interesting when you make it about a franchise's Top 3 QBs, rather than Top 2. And the interesting Jones vs. Rodgers discussion backs that up. If you go with top 2 QBs in a franchise's history, it's SF vs. Colts, end of thread. But when you bring in a third, neither the Colts nor the 49ers stand that far ahead of the pack, and Green Bay gets in there along with Dallas (Meredith was a good call) and maybe even Washington? Baugh and Jurgensen are HOFers and Theismann was a Super Bowl winner and 1983 NFL MVP.

I suspect if we went through time and picked out players that had three year stretches at various positons where they were very productive there would be an extensive list.
There's a big difference between being "very productive" for three years, and being the MVP of the NFL. I think Bert Jones is a lot like Terrell Davis - a three-year stretch where he was one of the best players in the NFL, including an MVP - and then having a career cut short by injury.

If you are going to list the Cowboys, you might want to add Don Meredith Danny White Tony Romo.
Dandy Don was OK, and one of the few bright spots on horribly wreched teams, but Danny white or Romo would be #3. I think Romo is better. Danny folded like a chair.

Users who are viewing this thread