What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daniel Thomas (1 Viewer)

DansRams

Footballguy
Thomas is an interesting prospect for me. He has NFL size at 6'2 228. He seems to have good patience/vision and enough wiggle and power to be productive. The negatves I hear most are "runs to tall" and lacks break away speed. I know I will get some flack for saying this, but isn't he a lot like A Foster? Let me put it another way...if he was in Foster's situation, I could easily see him as a top 15 rb. He may not be as good, but I don't see a huge gap. That said, situations as good as Foster's aren't easy to come by.

I have posted some info from CBS and DraftCountdown below, but here is my prediction.

Thomas will have a good combine, run in the high 4.5's and get drafted in the late 2nd round. He will end up getting drafted 1.06/1.07 in most rookie drafts although he could move into the top 5 if he is drafted in a one cut system (say Washington) or is drafted by a strong offensive team (say NO or NE). One way or another he will end up being a nice mid to low end rb2 within a couple of yrs.

NFLDraftScout.com -

Inside: Strong inside runner with a very good lean, always falls forward when wrapped up or chopped down. Nice spin move to come off tackles inside, pick up an extra yard or two. Presses the line and is very effective on quick-hitters. Adequate selling ball fake inside, but could lower his shoulder and play with more urgency. Combines his strength with enough elusiveness to avoid getting caught in the backfield, but is not elite in this area. Plows ahead to move the pile. Does not own exceptional vision, but more often than not will pick his way through trash inside. Secures the ball in close quarters.

Outside: Lacks breakaway speed and is a better north-south runner than east-west, but covers a lot of ground with his long strides once in the open. Also has a bit of wiggle to freeze and shoot by oncoming defenders in the open field. Keeps the ball in his right hand on most plays, needs to switch to left more consistently. Gets pitches to the outside, capable one-cut or jump-cut runner who plants and drives into the hole. Only adequate vision but can find lanes on the run when heading outside, and flashes the ability to cut back against the grain to make a big play. Usually keeps the ball high and tight, but his long arms make it easier for defenders to strip him if he holds the ball loose when trying to make a move (four fumbles, three lost in 2009; 7-4 in 2010).

Breaking tackles: Gives good effort to get through tackles whether pounding inside or running in the field. Bounces off piles or when fullback is stuffed inside, gets the corner to get extra yardage. High stepper who will run through cut and arm tackles. Strong stiff arm. Takes defensive backs for a ride when downfield. Will lose his balance when trying to make cuts or shake and bake in space. May not have enough speed to avoid NFL defenders as easily as he does against college talent.

Blocking: Could be very strong in pass protection, but will be a liability until he puts in more effort. Keeps a strong base and moves well laterally to mirror linebackers and defensive ends when focused. Likes to be physical, but too often that means he throws a shoulder into an oncoming defender, failing to sustain so his man can join the play. Gets in the quarterback's way on occasion being hesitant in protection in the pocket. Is strong on the outside against cornerbacks when lined up at receiver, but needs to give more consistent effort. Acts as fullback on delay quarterback draws, but likes to throw a shoulder instead of using his hands to move linebackers out of the hole. Rolls out with the quarterback as a personal protector; willing to hit but is too easily pushed aside by linebackers.

Receiving: Reliable receiver on screens, in the flat, and even lines up at split end. Uses his length to adjust to poor throws and hands to snatch the ball from the air outside his frame. Presents a big target for quarterbacks on screens, finds open spaces if there is traffic inside. Moves downfield to take advantage of attacking defenders when quarterback scrambles to his side. Lines up at split end on occasion, becomes a size mismatch on the outside but is inexperienced running routes at that spot and is rarely challenged at the line of scrimmage. Most routes are rounded off, must learn to run more crisp routes and sell them more emphatically.

Intangibles: Team leader despite being a JUCO transfer. Teammates appreciate his toughness, played through pain in his left shoulder most of 2009 but still led the conference in rushes. Academics were a major issue for Thomas, so scouts will be curious if he can learn complex NFL offenses

Scott Wright -

Strengths:

• Excellent height and bulk with a large, sturdy frame

• Athletic with nice agility, balance and nimble feet

• Is strong, tough, powerful and runs extremely hard

• Patient but decisive with good vision and instincts

• A classic downhill runner who excels on the interior

• Doesn't go down easily and will usually fall forward

• Gets job done in short-yardage / goal line situations

• Is more than capable as pass catcher out of backfield

• An adequate blocker with the potential to be fantastic

• Determined with good work ethic and solid intangibles

• Very productive and excelled against top competition

Weaknesses:

• Just does not have great speed, quickness or a burst

• Runs too tall and leaves himself open to punishment

• Not very shifty or elusive and won't make people miss

• Will struggle to get outside and turn corner in pros

• Is not a big play threat who will take it the distance

• Struggled in classroom and intelligence is a concern

Russ Lande's view

Overall grade: 7.5

Position rank: 5

DANIEL THOMAS MEASURABLES

Height: 6-2 Weight: 228

40-yard dash: -- 10-yard dash:

20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle:

Broad jump: 225-lb. bench:

3-cone drill: Vertical jump:

Wonderlic: 20-yard dash:

Inside running: Is a tough downhill runner that when he gets going, he is a load to take down. Has nifty enough footwork to work his way through the pile and really break out for big gains. Can really drive through defenders to pick up extra yards and fight for the sticks. Impressive run patients and instincts that he uses to wait for holes to open up and them has a nice short area burst to exploit it and rack up huge chunks of yards. Does need to work on improving being more decisive when picking a lane. Grade: 8.0

Outside running: Will find it a bit harder to be effective outside the tackle box as a runner on any off tackle or sweep type plays. Does have decent cut back ability to give himself a chance to break some runs outside but is really more effective between the tackles. Does possess good vision that allows him to find the open space in the defense and really exploit it for big gains. Grade: 6.0

Blocking: Is rarely asked to stay into block, but he does show some raw ability to become a solid blocker in pass protection. Has that aggressive nature and physicality to really knock blitzing defenders to the ground. Struggles to consistently keep his feet moving and needs to improve his awareness of where to be to make the proper block. Grade: 6.5

Hands/routes: Has a natural and easy way about himself when catching the ball out of the backfield. Does a nice job getting north and south and picking up big yards once he has the ball. Can be a daunting player to bring down when matched up against safeties and corners due to his thick frame. Can get a little loose with the ball when in the open field which makes him an easy mark for an opportunistic ball puncher. Grade: 7.5

Durability: Has been extremely durable for this KSU team, having not missed a game since arriving in Manhattan. Runs with the strength and power need to play at the next level and punishes tacklers that don't gain proper leverage or try to arm tackle. Big frame (228 lb) allows him to really be affective and when he gets his shoulders down he will run people over. Rarely runs out of bounds and always keeps his legs moving to gain extra yardage. Grade: 8.5

Bottom line: He has all the necessary skill set to make an immediate impact at the next level as both a runner and receiver out of the backfield. He shows the skills to really work well as an every down back which is rare of most backs that are coming out now. He could vault himself into the first round if he runs well at the combine in February.

I'd say he's a little too tall for NFL RB's. Add that to the fact that he runs upright and doesn't have much burst or top end speed.

He reminds me of Jamal Lewis. More of a plodder (dare I say Fullback) than a top tier RB. 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of guy.

Now that I say that, he will go on to have a hall of fame career.

I'd say he's a little too tall for NFL RB's. Add that to the fact that he runs upright and doesn't have much burst or top end speed.He reminds me of Jamal Lewis. More of a plodder (dare I say Fullback) than a top tier RB. 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of guy.Now that I say that, he will go on to have a hall of fame career.
He is an inch taller than Foster. How much of a difference can that make?

Mayock rates him the #2 RB in the draft

Running back:

*1. Mark Ingram, Alabama

2. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State

*3. Mikel LeShoure, Illinois

*4. Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech

*T-5. Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State

T-5. Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State

Major ball security issues. He'll need to completely overhaul his running mechanics to see the field on a consistent basis.

It's a small sample size, but my opinion of him was set after he went up against the Nebraska defense in 2010. He managed only 66 or so yards on 22 carries against a defense that, honestly, was a bit weak against power running (see Washington, Texas, Texas A & M games). He looked very pedestrian and showed nothing that I would expect to see from an NFL caliber RB.

Just my 2c from one game.

I'd say he's a little too tall for NFL RB's. Add that to the fact that he runs upright and doesn't have much burst or top end speed.He reminds me of Jamal Lewis. More of a plodder (dare I say Fullback) than a top tier RB. 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of guy.Now that I say that, he will go on to have a hall of fame career.
I'm just saying there have been few "tall" RB's to have great careers. I think Eddie George may be the last one to come to mind. Most are between 5'10" and 6'. Heck, nowadays the average is probably between 5'8" and 5'10" with RB's like MJD, JC, Ray Rice, etc.His build just kinda reminds me of Jamal Lewis. J-Lew had a couple nice seasons but for the most part was a plodder. RB's built like them tend to take more punishment and therefore wear down quicker. I just don't think he's shifty enough to be successful in the NFL. Foster has a little shiftiness to him. When I've watched Thomas play, it's almost like he just drops his head and runs straight ahead. That will get him killed in the NFL. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Thomas struggle against the better defenses in the Big 12?

It's a small sample size, but my opinion of him was set after he went up against the Nebraska defense in 2010. He managed only 66 or so yards on 22 carries against a defense that, honestly, was a bit weak against power running (see Washington, Texas, Texas A & M games). He looked very pedestrian and showed nothing that I would expect to see from an NFL caliber RB. Just my 2c from one game.
Nebraska had 8 in the box the whole game

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a small sample size, but my opinion of him was set after he went up against the Nebraska defense in 2010. He managed only 66 or so yards on 22 carries against a defense that, honestly, was a bit weak against power running (see Washington, Texas, Texas A & M games). He looked very pedestrian and showed nothing that I would expect to see from an NFL caliber RB. Just my 2c from one game.
No excuse, other RBs faced similar challenges and made more of an impact. Particularly Polk from Wash.Also, "8 in the box" has a different meaning when playing Nebraska. Nebraska played a base Nickel defense which featured a 6'1 212lb LB, a 6' 230lb LB, and a 6'2" 200 LB Nickel/LB. Its not like he was running against a very large defense. Heck, I think he's bigger than every single defender Nebraska had on the field aside from the defensive lineman.Looking back, he did have a better game in '09, with 19 carries for 99 yards. I don't remember that game very clearly, however.

Why do people compare backs to Jamal Lewis like it's a bad thing? Jamal Lewis was a quality #2 most years he played and had a 2000 yd. season that won a lot of people championship.

Why do people compare backs to Jamal Lewis like it's a bad thing? Jamal Lewis was a quality #2 most years he played and had a 2000 yd. season that won a lot of people championship.
If he was guaranteed Lewis' career he'd be a top 3-4 fantasy pick.

finito said:
Bojang0301 said:
:thumbup: Only if you could get him for the 1-2 years where Jamal was good.

DansRams said:
Chest Rockwell said:
Major ball security issues. He'll need to completely overhaul his running mechanics to see the field on a consistent basis.
:fishing: no fumbles in 545 touches.
That's not right. If you are going by ESPN stats, their fumble stats are not reliable at all.

finito said:
Bojang0301 said:
:confused: Only if you could get him for the 1-2 years where Jamal was good.
He had 7 thousand yard seasons. You wouldn't spend a high dynasty rookie pick on a guy guaranteed 7 1k seasons with 4 of them over 1300 yds?

finito said:
Bojang0301 said:
He had 7 thousand yard seasons. You wouldn't spend a high dynasty rookie pick on a guy guaranteed 7 1k seasons with 4 of them over 1300 yds?
1000 yard seasons don't impress me. Especially when you consider Jamal would usually get about 500 of those yards in 2 games against the Browns every year. He was never consistent finding the endzone and he wasn't much of a receiver out of the backfield. So, no. I would not ever pick him in the top 3-4 picks in a fantasy draft.He had 1 or 2 fantastic seasons and that's it. I'd rather have someone more consistent on a per game basis.Hopefully Thomas proves me wrong...but that's just the vibe I get from him.

finito said:
Bojang0301 said:
1000 yard seasons don't impress me. Especially when you consider Jamal would usually get about 500 of those yards in 2 games against the Browns every year. He was never consistent finding the endzone and he wasn't much of a receiver out of the backfield. So, no. I would not ever pick him in the top 3-4 picks in a fantasy draft.He had 1 or 2 fantastic seasons and that's it. I'd rather have someone more consistent on a per game basis.Hopefully Thomas proves me wrong...but that's just the vibe I get from him.
We'll agree to disagree then. In a rookie dynasty draft if I was guaranteed that production I'd take it over a question mark unless I thought the guy was an absolute can't miss prospect.

DansRams said:
He will end up getting drafted 1.06/1.07 in most rookie drafts although he could move into the top 5 if he is drafted in a one cut system (say Washington) or is drafted by a strong offensive team (say NO or NE).
I don't see Thomas being drafted before any of these guys to name a few.Mark IngramA.J GreenJulio JonesMikel LeshoureJon BaldwinRyan WilliamsDion LewisTitus YoungLeonard Hankerson

I watched him play a few games and he doesn't remind me of Forte so much as he does a slower Toby Gearhart with less wiggle. He can move a pile but I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a really slow 40 at the combine. I was surprised Mayock had him at the #2 RB spot but he is the expert I just saw a few games. :coffee:

finito said:
Bojang0301 said:
:goodposting: Only if you could get him for the 1-2 years where Jamal was good.
It's a bad comparison then if you don't like Thomas. Also you seem to be talking about redraft while the rest of us are talking about dynasty. Why you would even waste your time discussing him if you want to look at him on a year to year basis where he will have already proved or exceeded your expectations is beyond me.

mcintyre1 said:
DansRams said:
mcintyre1 said:
No excuse, other RBs faced similar challenges and made more of an impact. Particularly Polk from Wash.Also, "8 in the box" has a different meaning when playing Nebraska. Nebraska played a base Nickel defense which featured a 6'1 212lb LB, a 6' 230lb LB, and a 6'2" 200 LB Nickel/LB. Its not like he was running against a very large defense. Heck, I think he's bigger than every single defender Nebraska had on the field aside from the defensive lineman.Looking back, he did have a better game in '09, with 19 carries for 99 yards. I don't remember that game very clearly, however.
I agree with DansRams. From everything I've read, David played at 220-225 this year, not 212, but whatever.Against UT, TAMU, and UW, Nebraska gameplanned to take away the passing game. Against Kstate, they gameplanned to take away the running game. The Huskers dline overmatched Kstate's oline that game wrt the running game. Also, Nebraska had a huge speed advantage on defense vs. Kstate, that was quite aparent. Finally, Kstate had no sort of passing threat to keep Nebraska honest. Think aobut it, the wildcats offensive player of the game was their kick returner!While his stat line wasn't impressive, after the first drive (which he looked really good imo), he didn't have much if any running room that I can recall. Also, it's not like Thomas was going down on first contact that game. It was taking at least 2 or 3 guys to take him down nearly every run. The problem was he was getting met by defenders at or near the line of scrimmage basically every play. And don't forget that he also caught 8 passes for 36 yards. Simply put he had no where to go anytime he got the rock after that first drive which ended on a horrendous 4th down play call by kstate. I was at the 2009 NU-ksu game, which was a big one as it decided the North Champion. It was clear that game as well that Nebraska's primary defensive gameplan was to shut down ksu's running game. And that's when they had Suh in the middle. I was impressed by DT in that game as he was basically the wildcats entire offense.In addition to the 19 carries for 99 yards, he was also ksu's leading receiver with 4 catches for 51 yards. (KSU only had 293 yards of offense that game.)I agree with Mayock that he's the second best rb in this draft.

mcintyre1 said:
so he ran right at Suh? and didn't succeed?

Warpig said:
DansRams said:
Warpig said:
I'm just saying there have been few "tall" RB's to have great careers. I think Eddie George may be the last one to come to mind. Most are between 5'10" and 6'. Heck, nowadays the average is probably between 5'8" and 5'10" with RB's like MJD, JC, Ray Rice, etc.His build just kinda reminds me of Jamal Lewis. J-Lew had a couple nice seasons but for the most part was a plodder. RB's built like them tend to take more punishment and therefore wear down quicker. I just don't think he's shifty enough to be successful in the NFL. Foster has a little shiftiness to him. When I've watched Thomas play, it's almost like he just drops his head and runs straight ahead. That will get him killed in the NFL. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Thomas struggle against the better defenses in the Big 12?
This past season's top RBs (top 30 in rushing yards) in his height range (6'1+):Arian Foster - 6'1"Adrian Peterson - 6'1"Steven Jackson - 6'2"Peyton Hillis - 6'1"Darren McFadden - 6'2"Matt Forte - 6'2"Fred Jackson - 6'1"Brandon Jacobs - 6'4"Ryan Torain - 6'1"That is 9 of the top 30 who are at least 6'1". That number would increase by 3 or 4 if you put the limit at 6'0". Tall RBs are not neccesarily uncommon these days....

Warpig said:
DansRams said:
Warpig said:
This past season's top RBs (top 30 in rushing yards) in his height range (6'1+):Arian Foster - 6'1"Adrian Peterson - 6'1"Steven Jackson - 6'2"Peyton Hillis - 6'1"Darren McFadden - 6'2"Matt Forte - 6'2"Fred Jackson - 6'1"Brandon Jacobs - 6'4"Ryan Torain - 6'1"That is 9 of the top 30 who are at least 6'1". That number would increase by 3 or 4 if you put the limit at 6'0". Tall RBs are not neccesarily uncommon these days....
:thumbup: I started to do the same thing, but the work to bring facts to posters who just mouth off "views" that aren't factual gets annoying.

Warpig said:
DansRams said:
Warpig said:
:shrug: I started to do the same thing, but the work to bring facts to posters who just mouth off "views" that aren't factual gets annoying.
LOL...it's obvious you have man love for Thomas. I think it's cute.However, are those heights listed their "program" heights or actual heights? Meaning, if I were to stand next to them (me being 5'10") would they be about my same height or an inch or two taller? And if I'm dropping a pick on a top 3-4 rookie dynasty pick I want something more than "top 30" production.Let's look at the RB's that matter. Here are the top 20 RB's from 2010 according to CBS sportsline:1) Arian Foster - 6'1"2) Jamaal Charles - 5'11"3) Michael Turner - 5'10"4) Chris Johnson - 5'11"5) MJD - 5'7"6) AP - 6'1"7) Rashard Mendenhall - 5'10"8) Steven Jackson - 6'2"9) Ahmad Bradshaw - 5'9"10) Ray Rice - 5'8"11) Peyton Hillis (he may ride off into the sunset this year) - 6'2"12) DMC - (injury prone but fast) - 6'2"13) Cedric Benson - 5'11"14) Lesean McCoy - 5'10"15) Matt Forte - 6'2"16) BJGE - 5'11"17) Legarrette Blount - 6'2"18) Fred Jackson - 6'1"19) LT - 5'1020) Thomas Jones - 5'10"So 8 out of 20 are 6' or taller and only 3 out of the top 10.Here are the top 20 RB's of "all-time":1) Emmitt Smith - 5'10"2) Walter Payton - 5'10"3) Barry Sanders - 5'8"4) Eric Dickerson - 6'3"5) Tony Dorsett - 5'11"6) Jerome Bettis - 5'11"7) Jim Brown - 6'2"8) Marcus Allen - 6'2"9) Franco Harris - 6'2"10) Thurman Thomas - 5'10"11) Curtis Martin - 5'11"12) John Riggins - 6'2"13) O.J. Simpson - 6'2"14) Marshall Faulk - 5'10"15) Ricky Watters - 6'1"16) O.J. Anderson - 6'2"17) Eddie George - 6'3"18) Joe Perry - 6'19) Earl Campbell - 5'11"20) Terry Allen - 5'11"Historically it is split. 10 players 6'+ and 10 players under 6'. But only 4 in the top 10. Could be a change in philosphy. Back in the day, coaches may have preferred bigger backs since it was a more basic "black and blue" league. I'll admit that the numbers are closer than I first suspected. I'm still certain that the majority of "starting" backs in the NFL are UNDER 6'. Thomas needs to blaze a 40 time (4.5 or lower) at the comine to get a legit shot. And 4.5 is average...kinda like him.

Warpig said:
LOL...it's obvious you have man love for Thomas. I think it's cute.
I actually know nothing about this guy, but I just knew that there were more than a few taller backs that have had recent success. Certainly quite a few since Eddie George.Surprisingly enough, I have never even heard his name before this thread. My college football watching pretty much begins and ends with my local Ohio State team. I usually get more up on prospects closer to draft time.

Warpig said:
LOL...it's obvious you have man love for Thomas. I think it's cute.However, are those heights listed their "program" heights or actual heights? Meaning, if I were to stand next to them (me being 5'10") would they be about my same height or an inch or two taller? And if I'm dropping a pick on a top 3-4 rookie dynasty pick I want something more than "top 30" production.Let's look at the RB's that matter. Here are the top 20 RB's from 2010 according to CBS sportsline:1) Arian Foster - 6'1"2) Jamaal Charles - 5'11"3) Michael Turner - 5'10"4) Chris Johnson - 5'11"5) MJD - 5'7"6) AP - 6'1"7) Rashard Mendenhall - 5'10"8) Steven Jackson - 6'2"9) Ahmad Bradshaw - 5'9"10) Ray Rice - 5'8"11) Peyton Hillis (he may ride off into the sunset this year) - 6'2"12) DMC - (injury prone but fast) - 6'2"13) Cedric Benson - 5'11"14) Lesean McCoy - 5'10"15) Matt Forte - 6'2"16) BJGE - 5'11"17) Legarrette Blount - 6'2"18) Fred Jackson - 6'1"19) LT - 5'1020) Thomas Jones - 5'10"So 8 out of 20 are 6' or taller and only 3 out of the top 10.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. It seems by your own data that being over 6' l= not being able to be a successful NFL RB.

Warpig said:
LOL...it's obvious you have man love for Thomas. I think it's cute.However, are those heights listed their "program" heights or actual heights? Meaning, if I were to stand next to them (me being 5'10") would they be about my same height or an inch or two taller? And if I'm dropping a pick on a top 3-4 rookie dynasty pick I want something more than "top 30" production.Let's look at the RB's that matter. Here are the top 20 RB's from 2010 according to CBS sportsline:1) Arian Foster - 6'1"2) Jamaal Charles - 5'11"3) Michael Turner - 5'10"4) Chris Johnson - 5'11"5) MJD - 5'7"6) AP - 6'1"7) Rashard Mendenhall - 5'10"8) Steven Jackson - 6'2"9) Ahmad Bradshaw - 5'9"10) Ray Rice - 5'8"11) Peyton Hillis (he may ride off into the sunset this year) - 6'2"12) DMC - (injury prone but fast) - 6'2"13) Cedric Benson - 5'11"14) Lesean McCoy - 5'10"15) Matt Forte - 6'2"16) BJGE - 5'11"17) Legarrette Blount - 6'2"18) Fred Jackson - 6'1"19) LT - 5'1020) Thomas Jones - 5'10"So 8 out of 20 are 6' or taller and only 3 out of the top 10.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. It seems by your own data that being over 6' l= not being able to be a successful NFL RB.
My point is that recent NFL trending shows that the majority of RB's that you would want on your fantasy team are under 6' in height. Thus my "3 out of the top 10" comment you quoted. Taller Rb's USUALLY aren't as successful or have as long a career.I didn't say that Thomas would not be successful in the NFL (notice my "now that I've said that he'll be successful" comment in my first post). I said that since he isn't fast and runs straight up AND is taller than 6', he PROBABLY won't be successful in the NFL. Now if he were fast and shifty and over 6' and weighed 225 lbs, then I'd say he has a good chance of being good. He strikes me as an average college RB, thus an average to below average NFL Rb.

Warpig said:
My point is that recent NFL trending shows that the majority of RB's that you would want on your fantasy team are under 6' in height. Thus my "3 out of the top 10" comment you quoted. Taller Rb's USUALLY aren't as successful or have as long a career.
But what you posted doesn't show that when 8 of the top 20 were over 6'. That's approx. 45% of the top 20 RBs are tall backs - so where's the recent trending? I'm not really commenting one way or the other about Thomas, since I haven't watched him enough, but your starting point seems off.

Warpig said:
LOL...it's obvious you have man love for Thomas. I think it's cute.However, are those heights listed their "program" heights or actual heights? Meaning, if I were to stand next to them (me being 5'10") would they be about my same height or an inch or two taller? And if I'm dropping a pick on a top 3-4 rookie dynasty pick I want something more than "top 30" production.Let's look at the RB's that matter. Here are the top 20 RB's from 2010 according to CBS sportsline:1) Arian Foster - 6'1"2) Jamaal Charles - 5'11"3) Michael Turner - 5'10"4) Chris Johnson - 5'11"5) MJD - 5'7"6) AP - 6'1"7) Rashard Mendenhall - 5'10"8) Steven Jackson - 6'2"9) Ahmad Bradshaw - 5'9"10) Ray Rice - 5'8"11) Peyton Hillis (he may ride off into the sunset this year) - 6'2"12) DMC - (injury prone but fast) - 6'2"13) Cedric Benson - 5'11"14) Lesean McCoy - 5'10"15) Matt Forte - 6'2"16) BJGE - 5'11"17) Legarrette Blount - 6'2"18) Fred Jackson - 6'1"19) LT - 5'1020) Thomas Jones - 5'10"So 8 out of 20 are 6' or taller and only 3 out of the top 10.Here are the top 20 RB's of "all-time":1) Emmitt Smith - 5'10"2) Walter Payton - 5'10"3) Barry Sanders - 5'8"4) Eric Dickerson - 6'3"5) Tony Dorsett - 5'11"6) Jerome Bettis - 5'11"7) Jim Brown - 6'2"8) Marcus Allen - 6'2"9) Franco Harris - 6'2"10) Thurman Thomas - 5'10"11) Curtis Martin - 5'11"12) John Riggins - 6'2"13) O.J. Simpson - 6'2"14) Marshall Faulk - 5'10"15) Ricky Watters - 6'1"16) O.J. Anderson - 6'2"17) Eddie George - 6'3"18) Joe Perry - 6'19) Earl Campbell - 5'11"20) Terry Allen - 5'11"Historically it is split. 10 players 6'+ and 10 players under 6'. But only 4 in the top 10. Could be a change in philosphy. Back in the day, coaches may have preferred bigger backs since it was a more basic "black and blue" league. I'll admit that the numbers are closer than I first suspected. I'm still certain that the majority of "starting" backs in the NFL are UNDER 6'. Thomas needs to blaze a 40 time (4.5 or lower) at the comine to get a legit shot. And 4.5 is average...kinda like him.
Seems you proved your "too tall" point wrong, while managing to make new points that are wrong.....First LOL..."it's obvious you have man love for Thomas."...I wanted to discuss the guy. Defending him versus your incorrect points (that you have now proven to be wrong), is not man love. Then you make the point "And 4.5 is average" about a 228 pound RB. The correct view is 4.5 isn't elite for a 228 pound RB, but it is certainly above average.The one point I agree with you on is that he does need to run in the 4.5's...or lower as you say (doubt that). If he does, THEN you can accuse me of man love.BTW..."I think it is cute"? If you keep coming up with clever responses like that, I may redirect the man love at you :goodposting:

Seems you proved your "too tall" point wrong, while managing to make new points that are wrong.....First LOL..."it's obvious you have man love for Thomas."...I wanted to discuss the guy. Defending him versus your incorrect points (that you have now proven to be wrong), is not man love. Then you make the point "And 4.5 is average" about a 228 pound RB. The correct view is 4.5 isn't elite for a 228 pound RB, but it is certainly above average.The one point I agree with you on is that he does need to run in the 4.5's...or lower as you say (doubt that). If he does, THEN you can accuse me of man love.BTW..."I think it is cute"? If you keep coming up with clever responses like that, I may redirect the man love at you :lmao:
7 out of the top 10 best RB's is pretty substantial. Most of the taller RB's are not of the "elite" category. They can be effective in certain roles more often than not. However, they tend not to be game breakers. So if we look at the 7 RB's from the top 10 from 2010...and look at the RB class we have coming in for 2011 we should be able to see a trend. Not only are NFL teams leaning towards the smaller, explosive backs, but I believe college teams are as well.Besides RB's like Jahvid Best and Dexter McCluster and CJ Spiller from last year, here are some current college backs:1) Mark Ingram - 5'10"2) Mikel Leshoure - 6'3) Daniel Thomas (point of discussion) - 6'2"4) Ryan Williams - 5'10"5) Jacquizz Rodgers - 5'7"6) Evan Royster - 6'7) DeMarco Murray - 6'8) Noel Devine - 5'7"9) Jamie Harper - 5'11"10) John Clay - 6'1"11) Anthony Allen - 6'12) Montel Harris - 5'9"13) Jeffery Demps - 5'8"14) Victor Anderson - 5'9"15) Jermain Thomas - 5'11"16) Jordan Todman - 5'9"17) Donald Buckram - 5'10"18) Vai Taua - 5'10"19) Brandon Saine - 6'20) Roy Helu Jr - 6'21) Lance Dunbar - 5'9"22) Ricky Dobbs - 5'11"23) Dion Lewis - 5'8"24) LaMichael James - 5'9"25) Shane Vereen - 5'10"26) Kendall Hunter - 5'8"27) Derrick Locke - 5'9"28) Jeremy Avery - 5'9"29) Alexander Robinson - 5'9"30) Warren Norman - 5'10"31) Isaiah Pead - 5'11"32) Rodney Stewart - 5'6"33) Chad Spann - 5'9"34) Eugene Jarvis - 5'5"35) Eddie Wide - 5'10"Whew! So out of 35 current college RB's, 8 are 6'+. Could be a trend. Smaller backs are smaller targets and if they have first class speed, can be hard to keep restrained. When MJD came out of college I said he would never amount to anything because he was too small. Boy did he ever change my mind. I should have known better considering how awesome Barry Sanders was. I'm just saying, currently, there appears to be a trend where NFL teams are looking for smaller, explosive backs to implement into their offense. Obviously if you have an Adrian Peterson who is not only big and powerful, but has first class speed, he is a freak of nature. I don't see Daniel Thomas as anywhere near as talented as AP. Only way I would take Thomas with a top 3-4 dynasty pick would be if he landed in a place like Miami, Philly, Seattle, or Washington or some place like that. Even then, I'd be looking to trade him for a future 1st.

When MJD came out of college I said he would never amount to anything because he was too small. Boy did he ever change my mind. I should have known better considering how awesome Barry Sanders was. I'm just saying, currently, there appears to be a trend where NFL teams are looking for smaller, explosive backs to implement into their offense. Obviously if you have an Adrian Peterson who is not only big and powerful, but has first class speed, he is a freak of nature. I don't see Daniel Thomas as anywhere near as talented as AP. Only way I would take Thomas with a top 3-4 dynasty pick would be if he landed in a place like Miami, Philly, Seattle, or Washington or some place like that. Even then, I'd be looking to trade him for a future 1st.
you would think this lesson would have taught you to not be infatuated with heightit doesn't really matter how tall they are. The lists you guys have provided, prove that point more than anything. RB's come from all sorts of height/weight. It's how they use what they have, how hard they work, and their natural running instincts that matter and then what kind of guys they have blocking up front

When MJD came out of college I said he would never amount to anything because he was too small. Boy did he ever change my mind. I should have known better considering how awesome Barry Sanders was. I'm just saying, currently, there appears to be a trend where NFL teams are looking for smaller, explosive backs to implement into their offense. Obviously if you have an Adrian Peterson who is not only big and powerful, but has first class speed, he is a freak of nature. I don't see Daniel Thomas as anywhere near as talented as AP. Only way I would take Thomas with a top 3-4 dynasty pick would be if he landed in a place like Miami, Philly, Seattle, or Washington or some place like that. Even then, I'd be looking to trade him for a future 1st.
you would think this lesson would have taught you to not be infatuated with heightit doesn't really matter how tall they are. The lists you guys have provided, prove that point more than anything. RB's come from all sorts of height/weight. It's how they use what they have, how hard they work, and their natural running instincts that matter and then what kind of guys they have blocking up front
:thumbup: This

Here are the top 20 RB's of "all-time":1) Emmitt Smith - 5'10"2) Walter Payton - 5'10"3) Barry Sanders - 5'8"4) Eric Dickerson - 6'3"5) Tony Dorsett - 5'11"6) Jerome Bettis - 5'11"7) Jim Brown - 6'2"8) Marcus Allen - 6'2"9) Franco Harris - 6'2"10) Thurman Thomas - 5'10"11) Curtis Martin - 5'11"12) John Riggins - 6'2"13) O.J. Simpson - 6'2"14) Marshall Faulk - 5'10"15) Ricky Watters - 6'1"16) O.J. Anderson - 6'2"17) Eddie George - 6'3"18) Joe Perry - 6'19) Earl Campbell - 5'11"20) Terry Allen - 5'11"
What is this "top-20" list based on? It's not the top-20 career rushers.

Just wondering if anyone wants to get back onto the topic of, oh, I don't know, the guy who this thread is supposed to be about?

Or are we going to start throwing BMI in the discussion too?

Just wondering if anyone wants to get back onto the topic of, oh, I don't know, the guy who this thread is supposed to be about?Or are we going to start throwing BMI in the discussion too?
He runs too upright for me. Now there are backs who have ran upright and been successful, but they typically have more bulk. He just looks too thin for that running style. Not a bad prospect- he was a heck of a college player, but not someone I see having a big impact. Reminds of Chris Brown.

Outside of Mike Myock, I don't see this guy anywhere near the top 5 Rb's

Anyone have any info on him?

Let's do a little name game also, just comparing purely on talent

Daniel Thomas or...

Ryan Williams

Shane Vareen

Mikel LeShoure

Noel Devine

Demarco Murray

Graig Cooper

Johnny White

Taiwan Jones

And can someone categorize them by their style?? (e.g. small/catch and run would go under the "Brian Westbrook type", big/all around "Darren McFadden type", big/run-you-over "Brandon Jacob", small/boulderish "MJD")

this guys stock seems to have fallen seriously down draft boards

just read the other day that he was rescheduling meetings which throws up flags

More like Matt Forte from the sounds of it...
And from the looks of it in my opinion. Jamal Lewis comparisons are way off. Jamal was a big guy who was very fast and not much else. Once he got moving he was hard to stop or catch.Thomas appears to be a lot more agile. His speed is the question. Don't really see him running away from people, so I'd expect something in the Legarrette Blount range(4.6). I think he is better than Blount, so obviously that is fast enough to be productive.

Too upright, not much leg drive, skinny lower body, and he'll be 24 during the season. He's the Danny Watkins of the rbs...LOL

Here is my ranking of the backs listed above

1 Mikel Leshoure

2 Ryan Williams

3 Demarco Murry

4 Taiwan Jones

5 Shane Vereen

6 Johnny White

7 Daniel Thomas

8 Noel Divine

9 Greg Cooper

Here are the players not on your list that I rank above Thomas

Mark Ingram