#1 NMYMND

NMYMND

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

A few items out today that fit better into the new thread than at the tail end of 2011.

ACC-Big 10(12) Challenge schedule - the addition of Nebraska means everyone gets to play

Tuesday, November 29
Miami at Purdue
Northwestern at Georgia Tech
Illinois at Maryland
No. 23 Michigan at Virginia
Clemson at Iowa
No. 5 Duke at No. 3 Ohio State

Wednesday, November 30
Indiana at NC State
Penn State at Boston College
No. 21 Florida State at Michigan State
Virginia Tech at Minnesota
Wake Forest at Nebraska
No. 11 Wisconsin at No. 1 North Carolina

Also - Pat Forde's things to see in 2011-12 - the first three items are ACC-related.

Edited by NMYMND, 05 July 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#2 TLEF316

TLEF316

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,755 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

:seehorn:
Xbox Live Tag: Tlef316

one show that we all love is hard knock training with jets. uncle klompit like it so much that he want to be a coach now. it turn out that pop warners league in our town need a coach and uncle klompit decide to start there. he wanted to be just like that coach of jets so first practice he sit them kids down and start sayin #### this and #### them and ####. i guess that is a big no-no because they fire him like 10 minute later and some lady is now the coach. uncle klompit say if he get another chance to be a coach that instead of actually sayin "####s" he just gonna hold up middle finger. kipper say it may work because coachin is about adjustments.

#3 Worm

Worm

slimy ninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,891 posts
  • Joined 14-May 03

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

Big first commitment for Coach Gott this week. If Graham can convince Purvis and Warren to join him and Tyler Lewis it would likely be a top 5 2012 class. :blackdot:

#4 ConstruxBoy

ConstruxBoy

Kate's Daddy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 17,848 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

So we're getting the band back together? Awesome! :thumbup:

#5 jeter23

jeter23

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,069 posts
  • Joined 28-August 04

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

2012 ACC Basketball

(and UK Wildcats) Looking forward to some good conversations.

#6 jeter23

jeter23

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,069 posts
  • Joined 28-August 04

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

Nick Faust back with Maryland, that didn't take long.

#7 Eastwood

Eastwood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

awww, the less sweating part makes me sad. I'll miss Gary. :(

#8 Eastwood

Eastwood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:30 AM

Big first commitment for Coach Gott this week. If Graham can convince Purvis and Warren to join him and Tyler Lewis it would likely be a top 5 2012 class. :blackdot:

No doubt. I have a feeling Purvis comes down to Duke and NCSU. It would be HUGE for Gott if he could keep him out of Durham. I have my doubts though ;)

#9 Eastwood

Eastwood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:31 AM

2012 ACC Basketball

(and UK Wildcats)

Looking forward to some good conversations.

:lmao: That was funny Jeter. It sounds like Bazz is definitely heading to the West coast. I really thought it would come down to one of the two darker blue jerseys. Not sure why any kid would pick UCLA over Duke or Kentucky when it comes to national exposure.

#10 Uruk-Hai

Uruk-Hai

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,740 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:49 AM

Nick Faust back with Maryland, that didn't take long.

Some good news in a weird spring for the Terps.

#11 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,743 posts
  • Joined 17-August 06

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:33 AM

Is this the thread where we talk about knitting?

#12 Sammy3469

Sammy3469

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,310 posts
  • Joined 05-May 03

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:37 AM

Is that what Gary's taken up in retirement?

We look for the required level of pugnacity, truculence, belligerence, hostility, and testosterone

#13 Eastwood

Eastwood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:46 AM

Is that what Gary's taken up in retirement?

Nope, he's going into the hot wings business

My link :thumbup:

#14 DCThunder

DCThunder

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,859 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

Has the Terps hiring of Dalonte Hill to be an assistant coach and AAU coordinator been discussed in the 2011 thread?

And these illegal aliens are willing to do the work that Americans will no longer do — namely, vote Democrat.

#15 NMYMND

NMYMND

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:31 AM

Has the Terps hiring of Dalonte Hill to be an assistant coach and AAU coordinator been discussed in the 2011 thread?

No, but it has been a topic of conversation on DC radio. The takeway is that the hiring is a slap in the face to everything Gary stood for in terms of recruiting, but as long as Turgeon wins, competes in the ACC and gets the Terps to the NCAA tourney, the Maryland fan base won't care.

Edited by NMYMND, 18 May 2011 - 05:31 AM.

#16 oso diablo

oso diablo

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,464 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

If UNC doesn't win it all in 2012, it will be a disappointment. Duke fans vs. Carolina fans... it's what we do to each other. ;) p.s. thanks for starting the new thread.
"This ain't my American Dream
I wanna live & die for bigger things" - switchfoot

#17 NMYMND

NMYMND

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

If UNC doesn't win it all in 2012, it will be a disappointment. Duke fans vs. Carolina fans... it's what we do to each other. ;) p.s. thanks for starting the new thread.

UNC, UK, OSU - all could have 30+-win seasons, conference titles and Final Four appearances, and if they don't win it all, the fan base will be disappointed. And I had to get this started because my heart is just not into the NFL. No sense is reading preseason or fantasy stuff when college basketball may start before the NFL.

#18 DCThunder

DCThunder

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,859 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

No, but it has been a topic of conversation on DC radio. The takeway is that the hiring is a slap in the face to everything Gary stood for in terms of recruiting, but as long as Turgeon wins, competes in the ACC and gets the Terps to the NCAA tourney, the Maryland fan base won't care.

That's the Andy Polin opinion. I heard him say that yesterday. I hope they ask Feinstein about his take on this today.

And these illegal aliens are willing to do the work that Americans will no longer do — namely, vote Democrat.

#19 ConstruxBoy

ConstruxBoy

Kate's Daddy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 17,848 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:17 PM

LOL, well it WOULD be a disappointment. ;)

#20 Worm

Worm

slimy ninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,891 posts
  • Joined 14-May 03

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

Gottfried going international on your ***es. :gang2:

#21 oso diablo

oso diablo

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,464 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:20 AM

ok, major choke job
"This ain't my American Dream
I wanna live & die for bigger things" - switchfoot

#22 ConstruxBoy

ConstruxBoy

Kate's Daddy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 17,848 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

ok, major choke job

Add the words "by the worst coach in history" to the end and I'll start to believe you mean it. :D

#23 NMYMND

NMYMND

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

Tangentially related, but worth mentioning because I found it interesting when I read it. Thanksgiving - Thursday, Nov. 24 OSU at Michigan (football) - Saturday, Nov. 26 Duke at OSU (basketball) - Tuesdday, Nov. 29 First Big 10(+2)football championship game - Saturday, Dec. 3 (Indianapolis) Potential NFL games during that period, Bengals at Browns (Sunday, Nov. 27) Bengals at Steelers, Ravens at Browns (Sunday, Dec. 4) We're looking at 10 or so days in the state of Ohio where the only business conducted could be in the food services and alcohol sectors.

#24 NMYMND

NMYMND

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:03 AM

A little roundup: Harrow to Kentucky - and reports that Kentucky already was out of media credentials for the UNC-Kentucky game in December turned out to be false. Bad tweet by someone in the Kentucky AD office. Justin Anderson has switched his committment from Maryland to UVa. So three of Gary's last four recruits have opted out, but remember folks, according to the NCAA, players commit to a school, not a coach. Greg Paulus named video coordinator at Ohio State. (Duke at Ohio State, Tuesday, Nov. 29) Sad note - Ronald Griffin has passed away. He was the man who received the heart of former UNC mascot Jason Ray after Ray was killed by a car while in New Jersey during the Tar Heels 2008 Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games.

#25 NMYMND

NMYMND

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

Duke tickets spark lawsuit. Sounds like Cameron should be replaced with a bigger arena. ;)

UNC gets season-ending injury out of the way early. Or at least a major injury, but hard to believe he could recover in time to contribute meaningfully.

#26 Eastwood

Eastwood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:15 AM

Sounds like Duke is planning to move on to the 2013 class in regards to Purvis. Sounds like he'll end up at NCSU. I'm happy for wolfie fans. He is a special talent! And as someone said on the Duke board, UNC losing McDonald is like a deck chair falling off the titanic.

#27 pantherclub

pantherclub

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,489 posts
  • Joined 01-June 04

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:28 AM

Sounds like Duke is planning to move on to the 2013 class in regards to Purvis. Sounds like he'll end up at NCSU. I'm happy for wolfie fans. He is a special talent! And as someone said on the Duke board, UNC losing McDonald is like a deck chair falling off the titanic.

I thought he was a strong Duke lean? If State got Purvis they would have the #1 class in the country. Not a bad way for Gott to start.

#28 Eastwood

Eastwood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

I thought he was a strong Duke lean? If State got Purvis they would have the #1 class in the country. Not a bad way for Gott to start.

At one point it sounded like he was. His last twitter post said Duke was the leader. But Duke is shifting gears now. I'm not 100% sure why the change. I am HOPING its because perhaps they think they might land several bigs, which is by far the bigger need, as they don't expect Mason to return next year (and Miles will graduate). It could also mean MAYBE they are feeling good with Bazz? Although most think he's staying on the West coast.

#29 Eastwood

Eastwood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

Could be a sign of Armageddon, but I think this is the year that Duke and UNC will finally play in the Final Four. :boxing:

#30 pantherclub

pantherclub

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,489 posts
  • Joined 01-June 04

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:34 AM

Could be a sign of Armageddon, but I think this is the year that Duke and UNC will finally play in the Final Four. :boxing:

I cannot imagine the implosion in Chapel Hill if they at least didnt make the Elite 8. I think its final 4 or bust for them.

#31 TLEF316

TLEF316

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,755 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:56 AM

I think Purvis is absolutely elite. A young Dwyane Wade IMO. I think a hypothetical Duke class of Saulaimon, Bazz and 2 of Tony Parker, Mitch McGary and Perry Ellis would still be #1 in the nation over an NC St class with Purvis, but IMO, Duke isn't getting Bazz and everything else is pure guessing at this point. The ACC is far more interesting when more than 2 teams are good, so congrats to State if they get him. Duke is planting some very interesting seeds for 2013. They just offered Texas shapshooter Matt Jones (apparently grew up a Duke fan) who is AAU teammates with fellow 13 stud Julius Randle and good friends with saulaimon. They're also probably in the top 3 for Jabari Parker. Even though some people find it strange that I follow the future plans of 16 year olds, all the twists and turns and relationship managing that come with the recruiting process really are fascinating

one show that we all love is hard knock training with jets. uncle klompit like it so much that he want to be a coach now. it turn out that pop warners league in our town need a coach and uncle klompit decide to start there. he wanted to be just like that coach of jets so first practice he sit them kids down and start sayin #### this and #### them and ####. i guess that is a big no-no because they fire him like 10 minute later and some lady is now the coach. uncle klompit say if he get another chance to be a coach that instead of actually sayin "####s" he just gonna hold up middle finger. kipper say it may work because coachin is about adjustments.

#32 TLEF316

TLEF316

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,755 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:57 AM

and sorry to hear about LMac. Really sucks. But UNC is built to absorb the loss, assuming that Bullock and/or Hairston shoot like everyone thinks they're capable of.

#33 NMYMND

NMYMND

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

and sorry to hear about LMac. Really sucks. But UNC is built to absorb the loss, assuming that Bullock and/or Hairston shoot like everyone thinks they're capable of.

Yea, I think this is a situation where you feel more fro the player than for the team.

#34 Grady Wilson

Grady Wilson

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,177 posts
  • Joined 31-March 10

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

Can't get here quick enough.

#35 drfeelgood

drfeelgood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Joined 19-July 05

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

Are you not much into Tarheel football?

#36 NMYMND

NMYMND

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

Duke plays three games in China and one in Dubai from August 17-25. Unless there is a rule against it, I wouldn't be surprised if they were on some ESPN outlet ... And I would watch.

#37 Grady Wilson

Grady Wilson

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,177 posts
  • Joined 31-March 10

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

Are you not much into Tarheel football?

Yep. Love Tar Heel football. Just been away from the boards for a while. Work, still enjoying the Mavs title, etc. I'll start getting into football in the next couple of weeks. Hard for me to talk about it in mid July. Basketball is my favorite sport by leaps and bounds, both college and pro. If there's an ACC football thread I'll start posting there soon.

#38 Grady Wilson

Grady Wilson

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,177 posts
  • Joined 31-March 10

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

Duke plays three games in China and one in Dubai from August 17-25. Unless there is a rule against it, I wouldn't be surprised if they were on some ESPN outlet ... And I would watch.

Just can't watch them in August. I'm ready, but not that ready. ;) BTW - Your tagline is awesome.

#39 TLEF316

TLEF316

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,755 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, Duke is trying to negotiate a TV deal for the games in China/Dubai. Looking forward to it.

#40 Eastwood

Eastwood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:39 AM

Seth Curry last night at the ProAm :shock: There are rumblings that many in Durham feel he might end up as good as his brother.

#41 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,743 posts
  • Joined 17-August 06

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:35 AM

Yeah, I feel terrible for him, but of all the guys who played 10+ minutes last year, his absence is probably the easiest to overcome. It's a concern because he was the best player on the team with respect to the team's biggest weakness- perimeter shooting. But hopefully Barnes + Hairston/Bullock will provide enough from three. There's also hope that he could come back for March, although that wouldn't make much sense IMO. The other big news these days in Tar Heel land is the search for a big man in the 2012 class. It's a full-on panic. Personally I'm not that worried, more like mildly concerned. I don't know as much about the high school guys as you and some of the others here, but from what I can tell there's a ton of talent in 2012 big man ranks, and I trust that the Heels will get at least one of the guys they're going after. It will still be a big hole in the roster unless they sign multiple guys (or Henson or McAdoo comes back, which is very unlikely), but I trust Roy to find someone.

#42 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,743 posts
  • Joined 17-August 06

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:38 AM

Seth Curry last night at the ProAm :shock: There are rumblings that many in Durham feel he might end up as good as his brother.

His brother was a lottery pick three years after he graduated high school. Were there any NBA types making noise about Curry after last season? Just to clarify given the other poster- that's a serious question, not a rhetorical one. I honestly don't know what was said about him by NBA talent evaluators.

#43 Eastwood

Eastwood

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

I have no idea if scouts were making noise about Curry last year. I think most of the attention was on Irving, Smith and Singler (for good reason). But they know his Dad and brother have done well in the league, and I'm assuming he'll get that same shot. He's really worked on his ball handling skills, which I thought was his only real weakness last year. He's only played 2 years of college ball, so I'd think this 3rd year is going to be very telling about his future.

#44 pantherclub

pantherclub

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,489 posts
  • Joined 01-June 04

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

I have no idea if scouts were making noise about Curry last year. I think most of the attention was on Irving, Smith and Singler (for good reason). But they know his Dad and brother have done well in the league, and I'm assuming he'll get that same shot. He's really worked on his ball handling skills, which I thought was his only real weakness last year. He's only played 2 years of college ball, so I'd think this 3rd year is going to be very telling about his future.

How in the hell did he initially slip through the cracks of recruiting? I mean how did Tobacco Road totally miss on him? I could understand if the exact same thing didnt happen with his brother or if his dad wasnt a sharpshooting legend. How does he end up in Liberty? The kid can flat out play.

#45 simey

simey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,159 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

How in the hell did he initially slip through the cracks of recruiting? I mean how did Tobacco Road totally miss on him? I could understand if the exact same thing didnt happen with his brother or if his dad wasnt a sharpshooting legend. How does he end up in Liberty? The kid can flat out play.

Tobacco road didn't miss on him. During Seth's junior season in high school he had a nagging hamstring injury and didn't play much. The ACC teams checked him out , and they felt he was too small and wouldn't end up a star like his brother. Davidson College of course wanted Seth, and so did Liberty and William and Mary. Seth chose Liberty and became a star his freshman year, but he didn't feel like he was growing. He proved at Liberty he does have the talent to be something special. He decided to transfer and when colleges got wind of it tons of them called him including Duke. He chose Duke.

#46 NMYMND

NMYMND

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 21-April 03

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:03 AM

On a purely personal note, got our tickets and room to see the Heels at the Las Vegas Invitation the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Also have convinced my wife to go to the 2012 Maui tournament (though she says we have to give up tix to the 2012 PGA at Kiawah. I will keep pressing for both.)

#47 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,743 posts
  • Joined 17-August 06

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:37 AM

The vibe at IC (as always, to be taken with a heaping pile of salt) is that they look good for TJ Warren. He moved a scheduled visit back two days so Roy would be on campus; people seem to think he'll get an offer and may commit shortly thereafter.

I'm not a recruiting expert, but he looks like a PJ Hairston clone to me. Since he's already 6'7" and described as having a "thick strong body," maybe the idea is to use him at the 4 in a pinch. Even if they get him the Heels still desperately need a big man in the 2012 class.

#48 Grady Wilson

Grady Wilson

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,177 posts
  • Joined 31-March 10

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

RW is handing out offers like candy. Isaiah Hicks accepted today. Pretty good news and hopefully starts a nice string of similar signings.

#49 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,743 posts
  • Joined 17-August 06

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:30 AM

RW is handing out offers like candy. Isaiah Hicks accepted today. Pretty good news and hopefully starts a nice string of similar signings.

It's been a long time since we've gotten a commit, especially a five-star guy. Feels good. Will feel a lot better when we get one from a 2012 post player.

#50 SecondCity34

SecondCity34

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,217 posts
  • Joined 07-October 04

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:54 AM

It's pretty cool that Hicks committed so quickly, too. Hopefully, others will follow soon. (Mitch McGary? T.J. Warren?)
University of North Carolina = 5-time National Champions (1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, 2009)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users