What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeSean McCoy, RB, Philadelphia Eagles (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2011 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

With the labor uncertainty, there are more unanswered questions entering the summer than usual. The good news is that gives us some more time to discuss the merits of players without having to react (or overreact) to the smallest bits of news about a slight injury in practice, or coach speak. We'll have plenty of time for that when it comes (we hope).

In the meantime, as always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: LeSean McCoy, RB, Philadelphia Eagles

Player Page Link: LeSean McCoy Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :popcorn: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shady should have a better season than he did last year. Season 3, 2 with Vick. Vick always makes the defense more hesitant, which should keep Mccoy hovering around the 5.0 ypc.

220/1182/12

62/588/3

A lot of people gave up on McCoy as an elite prospect after his rookie season, and then he went ahead and turned in a sophomore effort that seemed the perfect fit for what Andy Reid and his coaches want out of their starting back. He caught everything thrown to him, showed more patience behind his blockers, and ran hard. We know the Eagles top RB is never going to have 20-carry-per-game upside, but when he's catching 70-80 receptions, that goes a long way to make you forget about that, particularly in PPR leagues.

So here's another way of thinking about McCoy...where would YOU draft him in a standard PPR league this year? How many other players would you seriously consider taking ahead of him? Any way you see him falling out of your league's first round?

McCoy should improve on last years numbers as Vick and the rest of the offense is use to each other. He gets most of the RB touches on his team which in todays NFL is a huge deal. Part of deal with him is Reid getting him on pass plays to make bigger plays and take less pounding by running the ball into the line.

A lot of people gave up on McCoy as an elite prospect after his rookie season, and then he went ahead and turned in a sophomore effort that seemed the perfect fit for what Andy Reid and his coaches want out of their starting back. He caught everything thrown to him, showed more patience behind his blockers, and ran hard. We know the Eagles top RB is never going to have 20-carry-per-game upside, but when he's catching 70-80 receptions, that goes a long way to make you forget about that, particularly in PPR leagues.So here's another way of thinking about McCoy...where would YOU draft him in a standard PPR league this year? How many other players would you seriously consider taking ahead of him? Any way you see him falling out of your league's first round?
My response to this is that I tend to agree with the consensus and would rank McCoy around 5th or 6th in ppr. I think that most drafters will see no valid reason to select him ahead of Foster, Peterson, C Johnson, Charles or Ray Rice. However, in my opinion McCoy is right there with that group and I would not mind being at the sixth spot and start off my ppr draft taking him.

i am a mccoy owner who was thrilled and somewhat surprised, with his performance last year (over 1600 total yards and 9 TDs). in PPR leagues, he must have dominated. i figured incorrectly that he'd be caught in a RBBC. i actually think his numbers will go down a bit last year, just natural regression after an aberrant season. he may get about the same carries (~200) but probably less receptions (i'll say about 60). still a solid RB2.

200/1000/6 rushing, 60/500/2 receiving.

I would not mind being at the sixth spot and start off my ppr draft taking him.
At sixth would you consider taking Vick instead of McCoy? Based on consensus McCoy is a safe low-end RB1 or high-end RB2. Vick is in his own stratosphere at #1 QB, especially in leagues where passing TDs are 4 pts and rushing TDs are 6 pts.Of course taking Vick requires adequately addressing backup QB, but his upside is ridiculous right now compared to the QB field. It's a much higher risk/return play, but considering McCoy plays for the Eagles, if Vick gets hurt, you're somewhat screwed with the McCoy selection too. Tom Brady won the MVP, but Mike Vick was the best player in the NFL last year.

I would not mind being at the sixth spot and start off my ppr draft taking him.
At sixth would you consider taking Vick instead of McCoy? Based on consensus McCoy is a safe low-end RB1 or high-end RB2. Vick is in his own stratosphere at #1 QB, especially in leagues where passing TDs are 4 pts and rushing TDs are 6 pts.Of course taking Vick requires adequately addressing backup QB, but his upside is ridiculous right now compared to the QB field. It's a much higher risk/return play, but considering McCoy plays for the Eagles, if Vick gets hurt, you're somewhat screwed with the McCoy selection too. Tom Brady won the MVP, but Mike Vick was the best player in the NFL last year.
Big fan of A Few Good Men and my response is similar to when the assistant lawyer compares Cruise to his father..... I would take McCoy seven days a week and twice on Sunday ahead of Vick. I just can't see him reproducing his 2010 numbers and as you said if you draft Vick you have to back him up earlier due to potential injury. I don't like taking an early QB regardless, and if I do, then I want someone who I think will NOT need to be backed up except on a bye week.

LeSean McCoy is one of the rare backs in the NFL that can run bewteen the 20's, catch the ball, and is a goaline back. Those qualities make McCoy a high commodity heading into the 2011-12 season. With the addition of Vick for the full season, I would upgrade McCoy slightly compared to last year due to defenses having to keep an eye on Vick at all times, loosening up the defenses for slippery draws and tricky screens.

I was very impressed with McCoy's season last year and I expect him to build off of that. He compliments what Mike Vick and D. Jackson brings to the table offensively and makes this Eagle offense very explosive. I will not hesitate to pull the trigger on drafting McCoy this year if I'm in the correct draft slot to do so.

1150 yards rushing, 8 TD's

72 receptions for 600 yards and 3 Td's

A lot of people gave up on McCoy as an elite prospect after his rookie season, and then he went ahead and turned in a sophomore effort that seemed the perfect fit for what Andy Reid and his coaches want out of their starting back. He caught everything thrown to him, showed more patience behind his blockers, and ran hard. We know the Eagles top RB is never going to have 20-carry-per-game upside, but when he's catching 70-80 receptions, that goes a long way to make you forget about that, particularly in PPR leagues.So here's another way of thinking about McCoy...where would YOU draft him in a standard PPR league this year? How many other players would you seriously consider taking ahead of him? Any way you see him falling out of your league's first round?
I'd like to hear your take, Jason. If I recall correctly, you were pretty down on him last year. Have you changed your mind? Why, or why not?

McCoy's value is dependent on the PPR rule. With PPR, McCoy is a solid 1st round choice at about 7 or later. In nonPPR, he's more a early to mid second round pick to me. The reason why he isn't with the elite RBs is that Vick will vulture way too many TDs.

230 car, 1050 yds, 7 TD

65 rec, 530 yds, 3 TD

McCoy's value is dependent on the PPR rule. With PPR, McCoy is a solid 1st round choice at about 7 or later. In nonPPR, he's more a early to mid second round pick to me. The reason why he isn't with the elite RBs is that Vick will vulture way too many TDs.230 car, 1050 yds, 7 TD65 rec, 530 yds, 3 TD
This post confuses me. Last year there were only three RBs with more total yards than McCoy and those were Foster at 2218 yds and Charles at 1935 yds. Of the RBs that had over 1500 combined yards from scrimmage, there were only five that had more TDs than McCoy - Foster 18, Peterson and Hillis 13, C JOhnson 12, McFadden 10. McCoy had nine. But you project him increasing his TDs to ten for 2011. I'll take almost 1600 total yards and ten TDs all day long for my second round RB, but I don't think McCoy will be there.

McCoy's value is dependent on the PPR rule. With PPR, McCoy is a solid 1st round choice at about 7 or later. In nonPPR, he's more a early to mid second round pick to me. The reason why he isn't with the elite RBs is that Vick will vulture way too many TDs.230 car, 1050 yds, 7 TD65 rec, 530 yds, 3 TD
This post confuses me. Last year there were only three RBs with more total yards than McCoy and those were Foster at 2218 yds and Charles at 1935 yds. Of the RBs that had over 1500 combined yards from scrimmage, there were only five that had more TDs than McCoy - Foster 18, Peterson and Hillis 13, C JOhnson 12, McFadden 10. McCoy had nine. But you project him increasing his TDs to ten for 2011. I'll take almost 1600 total yards and ten TDs all day long for my second round RB, but I don't think McCoy will be there.
Let me clarify. My main league has 10 teams, has PPR for WRs and TEs only and not for RBs. QBs have 6 pts per TD pass, and you can flex the QB spot. When I wrote that line, my thinking is that the top 5 RBs, Vick, Rodgers, Brees, AJ, and Calvin will be the 1st round, making McCoy a second round pick. In this league, I probably wouldn't take McCoy until about 2.3 or later.In a 12 team league with more general scoring or lineup requirements, the I agree that McCoy is likely a late 1st round pick in a nonPPR league. PPR, I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 1.7 or later.

Let me clarify. My main league has 10 teams, has PPR for WRs and TEs only and not for RBs. QBs have 6 pts per TD pass, and you can flex the QB spot. When I wrote that line, my thinking is that the top 5 RBs, Vick, Rodgers, Brees, AJ, and Calvin will be the 1st round, making McCoy a second round pick. In this league, I probably wouldn't take McCoy until about 2.3 or later.In a 12 team league with more general scoring or lineup requirements, the I agree that McCoy is likely a late 1st round pick in a nonPPR league. PPR, I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 1.7 or later.
It's probably best to base wide-consumption analysis like the spotlights on a 12 team standard/ppr league.

With Ronnie Brown signed has any one changed their projections on McCoy? Is he still a top 5-6 pick in PPR?
I see Ronnie running their wildcat and spelling Mccoy from time to time. Not a real threat to hinder Mccoy's production. However he is a very good and necessary handcuff.

With Ronnie Brown signed has any one changed their projections on McCoy? Is he still a top 5-6 pick in PPR?
I see Ronnie running their wildcat and spelling Mccoy from time to time. Not a real threat to hinder Mccoy's production. However he is a very good and necessary handcuff.
There are always if's when answering these types of questions so here we go_Owen Schmitt had the second most targets out of the backfield in the Eagles offense last season with 24. Jerome Harrison carried the ball 40 times and Mike Bell 16. While both those players have flashed neither has the resume of Ronnie Brown. Brown was pretty mediocre in Miami last season but his YPC at 7.3 is comparable to McCoy's 7.6. Brown could see 7-10 touches per game. If he runs the ball 5 times and catches another 3 or 4 balls he could affect McCoy's numbers enough to consider taking a WR at 6. I am not proposing that Brown will drastically affect McCoy but it could be enough to knock him down a couple of pegs in the draft. Reid knows how to use good players. Of course, how much Brown has left remains to be seen.Why would you take Mike Vick off the field to run the Wildcat. That I don't see.

In ppr McCoy will be a stud, and should be a top 5 pick with CJ holding out. in non ppr TDs may be an issue, but still a very good pick if your drafting 7-9.

Game tonight seems to imply they will use Brown a lot more than I thought...maybe downgrade McCoy?
:no:McCoy looks great. HELLA quick and uncoverable by LBs.
Did he? Good to hear. The only highlight on SC was a pass to the flat for 10 yards or so....and he didn't really do much. Still debating where he's worth the #6 pick in a non-PPR....the Brown TD didn't excite me, but hearing more first-hand accounts does.

Users who are viewing this thread