What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas Clark, TE, Indianapolis Colts (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2011 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

With the labor uncertainty, there are more unanswered questions entering the summer than usual. The good news is that gives us some more time to discuss the merits of players without having to react (or overreact) to the smallest bits of news about a slight injury in practice, or coach speak. We'll have plenty of time for that when it comes (we hope).

In the meantime, as always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Dallas Clark, TE, Indianapolis Colts

Player Page Link: Dallas Clark Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :popcorn: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

One question I have is....how will IND use Clark and Tamme? Tamme certainly showed that he's a very good pass-catching TE, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Tamme cut into Clark's production. IND also has a lot of targets with Wayne, Garcon, Collie and the backs, so projecting Clark to have a huge year is somewhat risky.

68 rec, 875 yards, 7TD

I see the Colts staying healthy at WR/TE for a good portion of the year. While this will help others, it will cut down Clark's production a bit. Still a monster at the position though.

72/888/8

They're a 3WR set team and this will only change at the goalline. The colts won't utilize 2TE sets with Collie, Garcon, Wayne, Addai/Brown/Carter and Dallas Clark in the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt to trade Tamme based on what he showed last year. Dallas Clark will go back to his old ways.

90 rec, 9tds, 1050 yards

He's back.......at least for now. Dallas Clark is an awesome fantasy TE but the facts are he's aging to keep him healthy for the season, I think we can expect more split time between Clark and Tamme with Clark still being the starter and getting the majority of playing time. I think Clark is a high risk for selecting in the top 5 TE's this year, especially if you have to take him in the top 3 rounds. Still, he'll play well for Indy and come up with some big catches when Peyton Manning needs him to, glad he's back.

65 receptions, 780 yards and 7Td's

One question I have is....how will IND use Clark and Tamme? Tamme certainly showed that he's a very good pass-catching TE, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Tamme cut into Clark's production. IND also has a lot of targets with Wayne, Garcon, Collie and the backs, so projecting Clark to have a huge year is somewhat risky. 68 rec, 875 yards, 7TD
I am with you on this. I actually came in search of the same answer. I am seeing Clark's productivity being cut into by Tamme and I dont think he is the TE2 or TE3 that he is projected at. I will let someone else take Clark.

'captbly said:
One question I have is....how will IND use Clark and Tamme? Tamme certainly showed that he's a very good pass-catching TE, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Tamme cut into Clark's production. IND also has a lot of targets with Wayne, Garcon, Collie and the backs, so projecting Clark to have a huge year is somewhat risky. 68 rec, 875 yards, 7TD
I am with you on this. I actually came in search of the same answer. I am seeing Clark's productivity being cut into by Tamme and I dont think he is the TE2 or TE3 that he is projected at. I will let someone else take Clark.
I couldn't disagree more. I think Clark goes to the same role. If the team wasn't so focused on running its "system", it probably never would have gave Tamme all the looks Clark would usually get when Clark went down. Because of the system and plug-and-play mentality, I think Tamme goes back to the bench.

They're a 3WR set team and this will only change at the goalline. The colts won't utilize 2TE sets with Collie, Garcon, Wayne, Addai/Brown/Carter and Dallas Clark in the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt to trade Tamme based on what he showed last year. Dallas Clark will go back to his old ways.

90 rec, 9tds, 1050 yards
:confused: because of what Tamme did last season, you keep him, and possibly look to trade Clark..

only twice in his 8-yr NFL career has Dallas Clark caught more than 58 balls in a single season, and only once in his career has he played an entire 16-game schedule..trends like these usually continue.

Doubtful he plays 16 games in 2011, doubtful he catches more than 60 balls - even if healthy, Tamme has proven to be a reliable pass catcher for Manning,and is likely to see a much larger piece of the pie going forward..

Clark 50 recs, 575 yards, 4Tds..and I think I'm being too optimistic!

Last edited by a moderator:
The last three years Clark has 214 catches, 2301 yards and 19 touchdowns in 37 games. That's 92.5 catches, 995 yards and 8.2 touchdowns per 16 games.

I couldn't disagree more. I think Clark goes to the same role. If the team wasn't so focused on running its "system", it probably never would have gave Tamme all the looks Clark would usually get when Clark went down. Because of the system and plug-and-play mentality, I think Tamme goes back to the bench.
You don't keep talented players on the bench. I think IND would be smart to ensure Clark stays healthy all year long. Tamme will spell Clark more than you think. It's not like IND missed a beat with Tamme in there, they didn't change their offensive philosophy of using the TE when Clark went down. Wouldn't be surprised to see IND go to two TE sets more often.

There really is no such thing as Tamme cutting into Clark's production. The Indy system runs through Dallas Clark. He is the lynchpin of that entire offense once you get past Manning. Tamme's production was as much residual of that fact as it was Tamme. When Tamme was at UK, he actually came here as a WR. That was why you heard some of us last year clammering to pick him up when Clark went down because if you follow the Colts and you knew Tamme, you knew it was an ideal matchup because Clark operates as a moving WR in many ways. I'm not psychic but I have watched Tamme in college and I have followed the Colts for many years. I expect what will happen is Clark will be what he was. Assuming health, he's as good a lock to finish with 80+/1000+/7-10 as anyone in the league. Where tamme will come in is that you will see him shifting at the line in areas that will allow him to operate as slot receiver and in ways where he appears to be the "block" TE, but then goes out.There's probably no way Tamme is able to be consistent enough to be viable each week, but there's probably no way Clark isn't as dangerous as always. I really expect this to be a new wrinkle the Colts have this year where they will end up looking a lot like the Patriots when they have their Welker+two TEs all over the place causing havoc in the middle of the field while the WRS push up. If there had been a full offseason, I would think it would have been a given.

Clark is twice the player that Tamme is. Tamme is a nice receiving option, but Clark is a stud TE in every facet when he's healthy. Problem is, he's injury prone. I won't touch him in redraft, but in dynasty, if I can pair him with Tamme, I'd be happy. Yes, I just advocated handcuffing a TE, which seems crazy.

If Clark gets a 16 game season, 90, 1000, 9 seems achievable but I doubt he makes it a full 16. Something closer to 12 games played, 65, 750, and 6.

Clark is twice the player that Tamme is. Tamme is a nice receiving option, but Clark is a stud TE in every facet when he's healthy. Problem is, he's injury prone. I won't touch him in redraft, but in dynasty, if I can pair him with Tamme, I'd be happy. Yes, I just advocated handcuffing a TE, which seems crazy.

If Clark gets a 16 game season, 90, 1000, 9 seems achievable but I doubt he makes it a full 16. Something closer to 12 games played, 65, 750, and 6.
2003 IND 10 42 29 340 11.7 1 40 25 0 [game logs] [splits]2004 IND 15 36 25 423 16.9 5 72 11 3 [game logs] [splits]2005 IND 15 52 37 488 13.2 4 73 14 0 [game logs] [splits]2006 IND 12 58 30 367 12.2 4 61 16 0 [game logs] [splits]2007 IND 15 101 58 616 10.6 11 131 5 52 [game logs] [splits]2008 IND 15 107 77 848 11.0 6 121 3 38 [game logs] [splits]2009 IND 16 132 100 1106 11.1 10 172 2 73 [game logs] [splits]2010 IND 6 53 37 347 9.4 3 53 29 0 [game logs] [splits]TOT 104 581 393 4535 11.5 44 723 166I don't think he's injury prone. He's barely missed any games except for 2006 and his rookie year.

Users who are viewing this thread