What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LaDainian or Emmitt (1 Viewer)

Who is/was better?

• LaDainian Tomlinson

Votes: 83 69.7%
  • Emmitt Smith

Votes: 36 30.3%

• Total voters

adrenaline

Footballguy
I thought it was unfair to put Emmitt up against a superior RB in the Barry vs Emmitt poll. This should make a better debate as they are much closer talent, numbers & team wins wise.

Tomlinson - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TomlLa00.htm

Rushing - 85.9 Y/G - 0.92 TD/G - 4.3 Y/A Recieving - 3.7 R/G - 27.7 Y/G - 0.10 TD/G - 7.4 Y/R Misc - 9.5 wins & 0.8 pro bowl OL per season

Smith - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitEm00.htm

Rushing - 81.2 Y/G - 0.73 TD/G - 4.2 Y/A Recieving - 2.3 R/G - 14.3 Y/G - 0.05 TD/G - 6.3 Y/R Misc - 8.4 wins & 1.6 pro bowl OL per season

In the Emmitt vs Barry thread Emmitt supporters claimed he was the key player, while researching these numbers I noticed the Dallas OL continued going to the pro bowl after Smith left, he didn't.

LT wins every yardage & TD statistic here, I'm rollin' with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was unfair to put Emmitt up against a superior RB in the Barry vs Emmitt poll. This should make a better debate as they are much closer talent, numbers & team wins wise.

Rushing - 85.9 Y/G - 0.92 TD/G - 4.3 Y/A Recieving - 3.7 R/G - 27.7 Y/G - 0.10 TD/G - 7.4 Y/R Misc - 9.5 wins & 0.8 pro bowl OL per season

Rushing - 81.2 Y/G - 0.73 TD/G - 4.2 Y/A Recieving - 2.3 R/G - 14.3 Y/G - 0.05 TD/G - 6.3 Y/R Misc - 8.4 wins & 1.6 pro bowl OL per season

In the Emmitt vs Barry thread Emmitt supporters claimed he was the key player, while researching these numbers I noticed the Dallas OL continued going to the pro bowl after Smith left, he didn't.

I'd take Tomlinson over Barry, I know that much.

Obviously, Smith had better longevity. So if you are saying, if your team could have 1 back for their entire career, which would you prefer? I'd take Smith because he gave the Cowboys 12 really good years. If you were looking for who in their prime was superior, the stats seem to point to LT. However, if you look at they ranked amongst their annual competition, we have a different story. Based on FF numbers, for 4 seasons Emmitt was the #1 fantasy RB. LT only accomplished this feat once. So perhaps during their particular eras, Emmitt was actually the more dominant player. Very close call here, but I went with Smith. If nothing else, he had much better playoff games and battled through injuries better than LT.

both great, but LT was better IMO. I would take LT over Barry as well, don't know why someone would laugh at that.

both great, but LT was better IMO. I would take LT over Barry as well, don't know why someone would laugh at that.
I'm laughing at Barry haters trying to make this a LT vs Barry thread. ALthough I do agree the way this one is shaping up that would be a good poll.

Those stats look nice, but if there was a toughness stat, Emmitt trumps him. Leadership, Emmitt trumps him. Both will be in the HOF but, I would have to say, Emmitt was the better back. And played against tougher competition. But its close. And this is coming from an Eagles fan.

Haha these poll results are a joke. Why don't you just make a new poll...Emmitt or sspunisher. I'm 5'10" 185 Pounds. Can probably run a 5.00-5.50 40 Yard Dash. 2-3 Reps of 225. 4 Reps if I take NOXplode but I'll need a spotter. What I lack in measurables I'll make up in the film room and with my leadership skills.

LT all day over Smith.

...but as far as Barry, I truly believe he was the best runner ever, so I would take Barry as my number one RB every day. I'm a huge LT fan, but I'd like to hear arguments for LT over Barry, lets make this an LT vs. Barry thread, we already know LT is gonna crush Emmitt too.

1. Sanders

2. Brown

3. Payton

4. LT

5. Simpson

6. Faulk

7. Dickerson

8. Smith

My rankings, like em' or not, its my opinion after doing much research on this topic the past couple days...lol

Haha these poll results are a joke. Why don't you just make a new poll...Emmitt or sspunisher. I'm 5'10" 185 Pounds. Can probably run a 5.00-5.50 40 Yard Dash. 2-3 Reps of 225. 4 Reps if I take NOXplode but I'll need a spotter. What I lack in measurables I'll make up in the film room and with my leadership skills.
I'd rank sspunisher a few behind my grandmother at 5,987,632 place. :lmao:

Just give me a chance, coach...

LT all day over Smith....but as far as Barry, I truly believe he was the best runner ever, so I would take Barry as my number one RB every day. I'm a huge LT fan, but I'd like to hear arguments for LT over Barry, lets make this an LT vs. Barry thread, we already know LT is gonna crush Emmitt too.1. Sanders2. Brown3. Payton4. LT5. Simpson6. Faulk7. Dickerson8. SmithMy rankings, like em' or not, its my opinion after doing much research on this topic the past couple days...lol
I think Barry would take LT out in a poll. I probably should have went with Sanders vs Brown, I like Brown in that comparison, Brown was a man among boys & farther ahead of his peers.ETA, Sanders is my 2nd by a fair amount over everyone else.

Just give me a chance, coach...
With that Dallas line I'm sure you could have averaged at least 3 ypc, I'm sure Ds would be playing the pass pretty heavily. :D

Barry was the most fun to watch, but I don't think he was the 'best'. Still, all these guys are amazing, so I don't fault anyone for liking one over another.

Barry was the most fun to watch, but I don't think he was the 'best'. Still, all these guys are amazing, so I don't fault anyone for liking one over another.
Fair enough! Except, I believe Barry had a different running style then any other runner. His combination of agility, quickness, some what unnoticed power, and uncanny ability to make defenders miss is unbelievable at that. Now add in his stats, ability to stay healthy, humble attitude on the field (never ever spiked a ball or celebrated), and the majority of his peers saying he is the best ever really says wonders in my defense as to why he is the best ever. Not saying anyone can't have their points as to why someone is better, but I know this, no one can knock anyone who believes Barry is the best ever.

I don't like when people site wins as a major reason why a player is superior to another, especially because football is such a team sport. With that said, has Tomlinson done anything in the playoffs? He has always appeared to disappear in those important games.

I agree LT and Barry are way ahead of Smith, but I am shocked people are arguing LT is better than Sanders. Barry averaged 5.0 per carry for a long career, LT was just an average back who scored a lot of touchdowns because of the offense he played in.

Nice stats...LT for me and honestly i dont consider Smith top 10 talent wise. ut he was a good and tough football player.

Tomlinson had some time there were he often got 3-4 TDs a game. I do not mean in a literal 16 times four equals 64 touchdowns per year sense. It SEEMED that he did it very often. He was so "head N shoulders" above his peers that he started throwing TD passes.

Tomlinson has individual games that are as dominant as Barry, Sayers, Brown, Priest, TD...

His coach and/or the score is the only reason he(and guys above) never ran for 400 yards in a game.

We discussed Rivers and Brees here, even threw in Gates or Merriman at times but come gameday it was will they(ANY opposing team) handle Tomlinson. It IS possible that three of those four make the hall someday and Tomlinson will thus become even more impressive over time.

He was the most talented football player, for years, regardless of position.

There was 1,2 or 3 playoff games against the Pats super teams and maybe even one against the Colts supe team where he was either used horribly or barely got any carries. I hate blaming coaches for poor performances, but some of these were my exceptions to the rule.

Smith is flat out the most efficient or effective RB ever. I don't think that's debatable. For me, I found 99% of his highlights boring and predictable.

Perception is far more important than any one at this statistically obsessed board will often admit to. It's the memories of those great games, the highlights you just had to see again and again, it's...Smith doesn't have that over Tomlinson. Not by any stretch. Curiously, when Tomlinson was shocking folks as a rook some veteran fans were bringing up Gary Anderson. He played like 15 years before Tomlinson but was good for a jaw dropping highlight every few weeks with his (literal) acrobatic moves. I have a ton of Tomlinson highlights in my head

Thoughts on what type of influence Norv Turner had on both of these runners. Turner joined Dallas during Emmitt's 2nd season & was there through arguably one of Emmitt's better 3 year runs. Dallas also continued to run his system for a number of years after that.

He was also the Chargers OC when they drafted Tomlinson & implemented the same type offensive system, which Schottenhiemer continued to use until Turner returned as the head coach.

Turner was brought up in the NFL under John Robinson, who also ran an offense centered around ball control, featuring the RB. While with the Rams Dickerson, Charles White & Cleveland Gary all had huge years. After leaving Dallas he went to Washington where Terry Allen was a huge workhorse. He spent one season in SF when Gore had his best season ever.

Noticeable in Turners system was that the RB always put up large TD totals.

Taking nothing away from Smith & Tomlinson, how much did the Norv Turner system help them to reach their potential?

LT and Barry are the two best backs I've seen. Faulk is close.

Chris Johnson has the potential to be in this group and is IMO a better comparison to Barry than the others.

Chris Johnson has the potential to be in this group and is IMO a better comparison to Barry than the others.
This thought crossed my mind too, could also see Adrian Peterson & Jamaal Charles make my top 10-15 if they continue on.

All I know is Pro Bowls are the only way to evaluate any offensive line, and an offensive line is the only way to discount any RB.

'FUBAR said:
'Truman said:
All I know is Pro Bowls are the only way to evaluate any offensive line, and an offensive line is the only way to discount any RB.
is it?
I like that comeback Fubar, that's about how I feel when I read so many statements similar to this one. I don't even know where to begin with it all so please let me copy you:

Is it?

'adrenaline said:
'FUBAR said:

This thought crossed my mind too, could also see Adrian Peterson & Jamaal Charles make my top 10-15 if they continue on.
You're kidding me. Chris Johnson isn't even close to the conversation. I know you said potential but Chris Johnson shouldn't even be brought into this topic and this is a prime example of the problem we face when discussing topics like this. Today's sports fan always thinks today's players are better than what they are. It's like that in all of sports, we want to think the "now" player is in the best of all time category or conversation. I can remember when Mike Tyson was at the top of his game and so many young boxing fans, young men in their 20's and early 30's thought he was one of the greatest ever. Experienced boxing fans knew Mike Tyson was nothing compared to Ali, Joe Louis or even as good as George Foreman for that matter. But you couldn't convince them, no Mike Tyson would knock out Ali with a wicked left hook, Ali never could have beaten Tyson because the world has never seen anyone like Mike Tyson.............WRONG.

You see it in basketball with Lebron James. Sportscenter just oozes with James junk, juste wanting to give that guy the title. All this talk about him being better than Jordan, he's not even the best on his current team. He's definately not as good as Kobe was (I can't stand Kobe but I'm being honest, the guy has 5 titles, when Lebron has at least 3, we can discuss a possibility of Lebron being better but that is a long way off, but I gaurantee after Lebron's next 50 point game people can't resist mentioning this kind of stuff."

So back to this point.......Chris Johnson having the potential to be in the conversation. He's a very good running back in today's game, I wouldn't even say he's definately the best. There are some guys in college I saw that may have the "potential" to one day be talked about as the greatest if things go well for them and I saw this one guy in high school last year that was unbelievable and certainly has "potential" to be the greatest.

However, just because they have potential does not mean they need to be brought up in this conversation. Even doing so disrespects the players that truly belong in that category and what they did.

Chris Johnson and Emmitt Smith, I can't even tell you how far they are apart in terms of running back greatness but it's miles and miles. But what's sad and true is if you started a poll on who's better in the Shark Pool, you'd have some people voting for Chris Johnson and that tells you what you need to know about where people are in their way of thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread