What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nate Jackson Takes Shot at Chris Kluwe (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
To the woodshed, punter.

Nate Jackson — Chris Kluwe should know better.

Earlier this week, Kluwe, the Minnesota Vikings punter, called Peyton Manning and Drew Brees greedy douchebags on his Twitter feed — validating, from a source who wears an NFL uniform, the media's assertion that the lockout is all about greedy players. But by relying on gossipy football media outlets for facts about CBA negotiations, then taking to Twitter to blast some of the league's most respected names, Chris Kluwe made a mistake that ensures he'll be respected even less than he already is, if that's possible.

Punters are at the absolute bottom of the totem pole on an NFL roster, the very last man. If the team plane crashed on a deserted island, he'd be dinner as soon as the food ran out. Most of them know this and understand that it's in their best interest to keep quiet.

Punters don't get to call other players douchebags. Again, every other kicker in the league knows this, and keeps it all in perspective. Kluwe's job, juxtaposed with the duties of his teammates, screams douchebaggery. And now Kluwe has compounded his lack of status by exposing himself as a turncoat.

If it is his goal to slide into a post-punter career as a presumptuous and accusatory football analyst, then he has set himself up quite nicely, making fast friends with the likes of Mike Florio and Jim Rome. But if his intent was to offer something resembling leadership, he has failed miserably.

In an NFL locker room, there are a handful of players who do the talking. When something needs to be said, it is one of these men who will speak up. The rest of the players sit back and let things take shape, knowing that it is far better to stay silent than to speak prematurely or out of turn.

The right to speak is earned, and the vetting process, although unspoken, is crystal clear. You speak up when your teammates start looking to you for guidance, not because you talk a lot, or because you draw cartoons on a locker room white board, but because you have been tested on the field and proven your worth.

That's why it's been easy for everyone else in the league to keep quiet about the negotiations during this critical time: This locker room culture extends across the entire league. In the NFL, there is an undeniable feeling that it's Us vs. Them. Us is the players. Them is everyone else: coaches, owners, media, etc. To be oblivious to this theme is nearly unforgivable.

Although Kluwe might have thought he was speaking for his peers, he most surely wasn't. His peers would hope that Peyton Manning and Drew Brees and anyone else who finds himself in the rare position of having leverage against the league would use that leverage wisely and get every possible cent out of an NFL power structure that they have come to see as oppressive and exploitative.

It's not surprising that Kluwe could be so out of touch. Punters live in a small, insulated bubble that no one else cares to enter. They are not included in the inside jokes and they're not invited to parties. Their lockers are tucked in a dark corner of the locker room, where they sit and read crime novels while the rest of the team watches film and learns a playbook that will be dead in a week, replaced by a new one.

The plays never change for a punter. During practice, while the rest of the team does football things, the punter stands off in space with his only two friends, the kicker and the snapper, reciting movie quotes and practicing his golf swing. When his moment finally arrives, and the coach yells, "Punt team!" he takes his place 15 yards behind the snapper and, in the span of 10 minutes, executes five or 10 punts.

Covering punt after punt in practice is grueling work for 10 of the 11 members of the punt team. The punter, however, stands completely still. Half of his kicks sputter off the side of his foot, sending his punt team scrambling to stay in their lanes trying to cover the wayward ball. If they are unable to maintain their lane integrity and the returner splits them, it's the players on the coverage unit, not the punter, who get verbally abused by the coach. Coaches — well, coaches who aren't Tom Coughlin — have long since discovered the futility of berating a kicker. Other players can handle it, but not kickers. They tend to shrink, retreating further into the shell of their insecurities.

After punt team is done, the punter mope-jogs to the sideline where he disappears once more into the protoplasm of his irrelevance. No one knows he's there. No one would know if he left. And no one would care.

For three hours on game day, by stepping on the field, the punter runs the risk of having to, just maybe, if #### goes really wrong, touch someone on a football field. But just in case, the NFL has made special rules to protect him from that menacing possibility. You can't hit him. You can't block him. You can't touch him, presumably because he might shatter. He is protected even more than the superstar quarterbacks he Twitter-####ed, as if the act of kicking a football were the most sacred motion on a football field.

He can be seen in a state near total ecstasy if he drops a punt inside the 5-yard line and has it downed by a hustling teammate, pumping his fist heroically. Likewise, he can be seen utterly disgusted if that teammate allows the oblong ball to bounce into the end zone for a touchback. Both reactions would look stupid to an actual member of the team if he were paying any attention, which he isn't. No one is.

But perhaps the moment most indicative of the separation between punter and football player is when one of his punts is returned for a touchdown. The punter, the nominal last line of defense, appears to be an invertebrate on a sheet of ice as he squirms into a position to make the tackle. His eyes widen and he splays his arms out to the side as if to embrace a giant teddy bear. The returner, with a quick head nod, sends the punter blindly lurching to the wrong side, into a Jell-O-like pile of his own shortcomings. That taken care of, he scoots off down the sideline for a touchdown.

When the team watches the film together the next day, it will not surprise them at all to see how feeble the punter looks. This will only sink him deeper into his locker and into his crime novels, searching harder for a way to convince himself that he is one of the guys, that when he speaks up, he is speaking for his peers. But he isn't. And he shouldn't.

Echoing the media's trite narrative — those selfish players! — is a fool's errand, and couldn't be any stupider for someone who must keep the company of real NFL players, who know what it means to sacrifice. Kluwe's satirical white board drawings and CBA negotiation parodies were harmless enough, I suppose, but even those echoed the sentiment of conventional media wisdom. Player wisdom is beyond him. It is true that greed is the operative byword, but it is not the greed of Manning or Brees or Mankins. It's Kluwe's greedy use of his roster spot as a platform from which to #### into cyberspace, knowing that people will pay attention. Well, now they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk about punters not being able to talk because they punt is asinine. I bet the Giants would have loved to had Kluwe last year. If punters aren't important, neither is field position.

Kluwe is a turd. but whether you think he's right or wrong, this paragraph is hilarious:

But perhaps the moment most indicative of the separation between punter and football player is when one of his punts is returned for a touchdown. The punter, the nominal last line of defense, appears to be an invertebrate on a sheet of ice as he squirms into a position to make the tackle. His eyes widen and he splays his arms out to the side as if to embrace a giant teddy bear. The returner, with a quick head nod, sends the punter blindly lurching to the wrong side, into a Jell-O-like pile of his own shortcomings. That taken care of, he scoots off down the sideline for a touchdown.

All I see is that Nate Jackson got trolled by someone way more grounded in reality then himself.

Warcraft knows he has the good life and is the first to admit it. I guess he just rubs uptight d-bags the wrong way though lol.

Oh check out his downfall parody if you haven't seen it yet. GOLD JERRY! GOLD!

nate jackson has no class and maybe he should go to church and try to find some ethics and quit being a jerk no one cares if he bashes a punter and tries to feel like he is awesome because he ran someone down and like my grandma said you dont have to blow my candle out to make yours brighter so basically nate jackson is not a good guy

Kluwe's response to Jackson today:http://deadspin.com/5823788/chris-kluwe-responds-can-i-kick-it-yes-i-can"... Let's be honest here. Yes, I am a punter. Yes, I don't run routes, or zone block, or cover receivers. Apparently, though, neither did you, which is the only explanation for your total lack of statistics... "Awesome
:lmao: :lmao: Outstanding! Pretty sure if anyone was taken out to the woodshed it was Nate.
"So, Nate Jackson, while I respect your right to free speech (as apparently you don't respect mine), I also respect my right to tell you to go jam a tackling dummy up your ### sideways for being a snake-tongued, ####-talking Internet tough guy ####### who is so far out of touch with reality that you have no idea just how privileged we are to play this game for ridiculous amounts of money."
How can everyone not love this guy!?

Kluwe's response to Jackson today:http://deadspin.com/5823788/chris-kluwe-responds-can-i-kick-it-yes-i-can"... Let's be honest here. Yes, I am a punter. Yes, I don't run routes, or zone block, or cover receivers. Apparently, though, neither did you, which is the only explanation for your total lack of statistics... "Awesome
There is simply no come back from that. Completely owned.

Beautiful.

I would consider myself a pretty knowledgeable person in regards to modern day football, but I have no clue who Nate Jackson is.

Just googled Nate Jackson. He was an undersized undrafted TE out of Melno (whatever that is), and is currently playing for the Las Vegas Locomotives. This thread is the most publicity he has ever gotten.

LOL!!!!

ETA: the title of the thread is misleading..............LMAO!!!

Kluwe's response to Jackson today:

http://deadspin.com/5823788/chris-kluwe-responds-can-i-kick-it-yes-i-can

"... Let's be honest here. Yes, I am a punter. Yes, I don't run routes, or zone block, or cover receivers. Apparently, though, neither did you, which is the only explanation for your total lack of statistics... "

Awesome
:lmao: :lmao: Outstanding! Pretty sure if anyone was taken out to the woodshed it was Nate.

"So, Nate Jackson, while I respect your right to free speech (as apparently you don't respect mine), I also respect my right to tell you to go jam a tackling dummy up your ### sideways for being a snake-tongued, ####-talking Internet tough guy ####### who is so far out of touch with reality that you have no idea just how privileged we are to play this game for ridiculous amounts of money."
How can everyone not love this guy!?
Best. Player. Posting. Ever.Can fans vote for the new head of the NFL Players Union?! :)

Pretty sure that anyone who simply cedes to the owners the money that's in dispute would make a lousy union rep.

As would someone who singles out a player for making more than a doctor. Newsflash, Einstein, the owners are making more than 100x what a doctor does. No, Kluwe wouldn't be the guy I wanted in my corner here at all if I were a player.

Which would have been a better point for Nate Jackson to make IMO. When you're in the trenches with a bunch of other guys it's probably not the right time to start chirping about how the guys on the front lines fighting for you (which VJax is in this case - he's the one who got effed by the luck of the draw last year, and it's his name on the suit) are in the wrong. Doubly so if you're not involved in the discussions and may not have all the information.

Pretty sure that anyone who simply cedes to the owners the money that's in dispute would make a lousy union rep.As would someone who singles out a player for making more than a doctor. Newsflash, Einstein, the owners are making more than 100x what a doctor does. No, Kluwe wouldn't be the guy I wanted in my corner here at all if I were a player.Which would have been a better point for Nate Jackson to make IMO. When you're in the trenches with a bunch of other guys it's probably not the right time to start chirping about how the guys on the front lines fighting for you (which VJax is in this case - he's the one who got effed by the luck of the draw last year, and it's his name on the suit) are in the wrong. Doubly so if you're not involved in the discussions and may not have all the information.
you seem like you are a verytense person and i hope that nothing in your life is going bad right now and if so maybe the rest of the shark pool can help you out brother so let us know if there anything that you could like to talk about and share with the group and we can help take it to the bank!

you seem like you are a very tense person and i hope that nothing in your life is going bad right now and if so maybe the rest of the shark pool can help you out brother so let us know if there anything that you could like to talk about and share with the group and we can help take it to the bank!
:lmao:

Got it. So Vincent Jackson, who is willing to screw over every other player and hold up an agreement, thereby costing fellow player thousands of dollars if preseason games are missed, is a good guy who is doing the eight thing.

Kluwe, who thinks that extremely highly paid guys that did nothing more than put their name on a piece of paper to represent everyone else should actually act in the interests of everyone else, is in the wrong.

Yeah, that makes sense. Screw the 50% of the league that makes the minimum salary and for who missed checks really hurt. Let's get the guys who are ready to cash in for $8-20M a year a couple million more for their contract. Don't those 50% of guys know it's in their beat interests that Peyton Manning and Vincent Jackson get to add another gold toilet in their house?

Pretty sure that anyone who simply cedes to the owners the money that's in dispute would make a lousy union rep.As would someone who singles out a player for making more than a doctor. Newsflash, Einstein, the owners are making more than 100x what a doctor does. No, Kluwe wouldn't be the guy I wanted in my corner here at all if I were a player.Which would have been a better point for Nate Jackson to make IMO. When you're in the trenches with a bunch of other guys it's probably not the right time to start chirping about how the guys on the front lines fighting for you (which VJax is in this case - he's the one who got effed by the luck of the draw last year, and it's his name on the suit) are in the wrong. Doubly so if you're not involved in the discussions and may not have all the information.
:lmao: at the idea VJ is fighting for everyone else.Kluwe's remarks were originally toward guys who wanted to be exempt from the franchise tag, ala Manning and Brees. Don't be "that guy" was, I think his position.I hope your head doesn't explode if the players settle and Jackson doesn't get his 10 mil.

Looks like VJax has now abandoned his wish for 10 mil, per Schefter. Sorry, wdcrob. Kluwe is still awesome for his original comments and subsequent beatdown of nate jackson.

Pretty sure that anyone who simply cedes to the owners the money that's in dispute would make a lousy union rep.

As would someone who singles out a player for making more than a doctor. Newsflash, Einstein, the owners are making more than 100x what a doctor does. No, Kluwe wouldn't be the guy I wanted in my corner here at all if I were a player.

Which would have been a better point for Nate Jackson to make IMO. When you're in the trenches with a bunch of other guys it's probably not the right time to start chirping about how the guys on the front lines fighting for you (which VJax is in this case - he's the one who got effed by the luck of the draw last year, and it's his name on the suit) are in the wrong. Doubly so if you're not involved in the discussions and may not have all the information.
Dude, this is not a war or a fight for freedom.....just a battle to get more money

One of Kluwe's tweets about the article:

ChrisWarcraft Chris Kluwe@Cmillstrib The language is the best part though! You know how hard it is to come up with 14 ways to drop an F-bomb without repeating?22 hours ago

Right.VJax is fighting for VJax and no one else. Make no mistake about it. And yes... he's a ######## for it.

Nate Jackson career highlights:

2002: Undrafted, signed with 49ers, spent year on practice squad, waived

2003: Signed with Denver, 0 games played

2004: 12 games played! (0 started), 8 receptions, 73 yards

2005: ??

2006: 5 receptions, 49 yards

2007: 3 receptions, 34 yards, 1 TOUCHDOWN!!!11!!

2008: 11 receptions, 84 yards, 1 TOUCHDOWN!

2009-2011: ???

For a man who's main point is that "Chris Kluwe is a punter and punters are useless and should ####," Nate Jackson sure is lacking in the "contribution to an NFL team" category.

Got it. So Vincent Jackson, who is willing to screw over every other player and hold up an agreement, thereby costing fellow player thousands of dollars if preseason games are missed, is a good guy who is doing the eight thing.Kluwe, who thinks that extremely highly paid guys that did nothing more than put their name on a piece of paper to represent everyone else should actually act in the interests of everyone else, is in the wrong.Yeah, that makes sense. Screw the 50% of the league that makes the minimum salary and for who missed checks really hurt. Let's get the guys who are ready to cash in for $8-20M a year a couple million more for their contract. Don't those 50% of guys know it's in their beat interests that Peyton Manning and Vincent Jackson get to add another gold toilet in their house?
Grove, while VJ might be a tool, he isn't holding anything up.

:lmao: You're on the wrong side. Again. Kluwe evicerated him in his follow-up.
I don't know, I thought the first post by VJ was phenomenally written, however it's hard to argue against Kluwe's comeback.Well except for bringing up freedom of speech thing. For the morons out there, Freedom of speech doesn't afford you the ability to say whatever you want with no consciences. Freedom of speech, simply put, is the ability to say what you want w/o government interference.

Got it. So Vincent Jackson, who is willing to screw over every other player and hold up an agreement, thereby costing fellow player thousands of dollars if preseason games are missed, is a good guy who is doing the eight thing.Kluwe, who thinks that extremely highly paid guys that did nothing more than put their name on a piece of paper to represent everyone else should actually act in the interests of everyone else, is in the wrong.Yeah, that makes sense. Screw the 50% of the league that makes the minimum salary and for who missed checks really hurt. Let's get the guys who are ready to cash in for $8-20M a year a couple million more for their contract. Don't those 50% of guys know it's in their beat interests that Peyton Manning and Vincent Jackson get to add another gold toilet in their house?
Grove, while VJ might be a tool, he isn't holding anything up.
That seems to be the case now, but in just as little as 24 hours ago, there was talk that Jackson was going to possibly sue the NFLPA and refuse to sign off on any release of the lawsuit the players filed unless he got paid that $10M. From what I've read, it sounds like he ultimately would have lost his legal arguments, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have held things up in the meantime.

Kluwe's response to Jackson today:

http://deadspin.com/5823788/chris-kluwe-responds-can-i-kick-it-yes-i-can

"... Let's be honest here. Yes, I am a punter. Yes, I don't run routes, or zone block, or cover receivers. Apparently, though, neither did you, which is the only explanation for your total lack of statistics... "

Awesome
There is simply no come back from that. Completely owned.
:goodposting: Kluwe DESTROYED Jackson in his response.Of all the hilarious lines, this one struck me as funniest:

You, more than anyone else, should know what goes on during special teams, and yet your description of a special teams practice, while venomously hilarious, is quite inaccurate (or maybe you guys had a really crappy punter and you're spot on, in which case, my condolences).
First, he emphasizes that Jackson spent a lot of time on special teams (like Kluwe), and then advances an alternate hypothesis why Jackson may be bitter about punters. I laughed my ribs sore at that little gem.

Users who are viewing this thread