What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best, RB, Detroit Lions (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2011 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

With the labor uncertainty, there are more unanswered questions entering the summer than usual. The good news is that gives us some more time to discuss the merits of players without having to react (or overreact) to the smallest bits of news about a slight injury in practice, or coach speak. We'll have plenty of time for that when it comes (we hope).

In the meantime, as always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Jahvid Best, RB, Detroit Lions

Player Page Link: Jahvid Best Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :popcorn: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Will be the main Rb except in short yardage situations and grinding out the clock. Looks to be 100 percent. Will be a top 15 PPR back, but will miss the short TD opportunities. Should see about 200 carries for 900 yards and will add another 600 yards om 60 catches with 6 TDs, 4 rushing, 2 receiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jahvid Best was one of the rookies from last year whose hype grew on sensational plays in the preseason, and was drafted by many (I will include myself here :bag: ) as an RB2. If there was going to be a rookie to take the league by storm, most thought hed be the one. And with a sensational performance in week #2 against Philadelphia, he gave some owners early rewards on the faith and investment. But then he came down with turf toe, and it basically ruined his season. He lost all of the explosion he had earlier in the season.

I think Best will be highly underrated come draft time, with the Lions drafting Mikel Leshoure. And there is already a lot of hype around Leshoure to drive down the value of Best. But Best is a very capable receiver, and when healthy, his game translates into a Brian Westbrook type player with a typical stat line of 14 rushes for 60 yards and 5 catches for 50 yards and a TD here and there. Thats a stat line that gets it done in PPR leagues. Not so much in non-PPR. I am optimistic about Best, and am leaning more toward boom than bust. A good value play.

Heres my projections:

190/820/5 rushing with 68/600/4 receiving

'BallparkFrank said:
My only prediction here is that we'll soon discover that "Mikel Leshoure" needed to be in the title of this thread.
The Lions coaching staff has been pretty clear on their intention, use Leshoure for short yardage and to grind it out in the fourth quarter. The mindset is the Best is still the feature back. Perhaps that will change, but that is what they are saying now.

'BallparkFrank said:
My only prediction here is that we'll soon discover that "Mikel Leshoure" needed to be in the title of this thread.
The Lions coaching staff has been pretty clear on their intention, use Leshoure for short yardage and to grind it out in the fourth quarter. The mindset is the Best is still the feature back. Perhaps that will change, but that is what they are saying now.
I read everything in regards to Best vs LeShoure playing time. I have seen media speculation only on Best's role. Please link a quote from an actual Lions coach that clearly defines Best's role in the offense.

'BallparkFrank said:
I read everything in regards to Best vs LeShoure playing time. I have seen media speculation only on Best's role. Please link a quote from an actual Lions coach that clearly defines Best's role in the offense.
Here...

Jim Schwartz sees Mikel Leshoure as a closer

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 1, 2011, 8:22 AM EDT

When Jim Schwartz was the defensive coordinator in Tennessee, he saw how LenDale White was often used effectively in tandem with Chris Johnson.

Johnson was the lead back and would play most of the game. If the team had a lead in the fourth quarter, White would often finish off the game to save Johnson wear and tear. It sounds like he has the same idea when it comes to Jahvid Best and this year’s second round pick Mikel Leshoure.

“Jahvid Best, when healthy, proved that he can be an explosive playmaker,” Schwartz said on the radio Tuesday via the Detroit News. “But he isn’t built to be a short-yardage back when there’s three minutes left in the game and you’re protecting a seven-point lead, but Leshoure is.”

So Best’s job is to make big plays, and Leshoure’s job is to close. (He gets coffee.) Best, like Matthew Stafford, needs to show he can stay healthy for a full season after turf toe slowed him down throughout 2010.

If both Best and Stafford are healthy, the Lions offense could be scary.

Jahvid Best was one of the rookies from last year whose hype grew on sensational plays in the preseason, and was drafted by many (I will include myself here :bag: ) as an RB2. If there was going to be a rookie to take the league by storm, most thought he’d be the one. And with a sensational performance in week #2 against Philadelphia, he gave some owners early rewards on the faith and investment. But then he came down with turf toe, and it basically ruined his season. He lost all of the explosion he had earlier in the season. I think Best will be highly underrated come draft time, with the Lions drafting Mikel Leshoure. And there is already a lot of hype around Leshoure to drive down the value of Best. But Best is a very capable receiver, and when healthy, his game translates into a Brian Westbrook type player with a typical stat line of 14 rushes for 60 yards and 5 catches for 50 yards and a TD here and there. That’s a stat line that gets it done in PPR leagues. Not so much in non-PPR. I am optimistic about Best, and am leaning more toward boom than bust. A good value play.Here’s my projections:190/820/5 rushing with 68/600/4 receiving
:goodposting:

'BallparkFrank said:
very :goodposting: Leshoure will be the back to own in the Lions backfield

I'll take him if I can redraft him after the 8th round. At that point I like my chances of breaking even or scoring gold. He will have value in PPR leagues, otherwise he will be more of a pain than it's worth trying to wait out competition injuries and estimating which games he'll be productive in.

This type of back it's not even worth me going on record with a prediction. There are way too many scenerios that have to take place to really guage it.

'BallparkFrank said:
Here...

When Jim Schwartz was the defensive coordinator in Tennessee, he saw how LenDale White was often used effectively in tandem with Chris Johnson.

Johnson was the lead back and would play most of the game. If the team had a lead in the fourth quarter, White would often finish off the game to save Johnson wear and tear. It sounds like he has the same idea when it comes to Jahvid Best and this year’s second round pick Mikel Leshoure.

“Jahvid Best, when healthy, proved that he can be an explosive playmaker,” Schwartz said on the radio Tuesday via the Detroit News. “But he isn’t built to be a short-yardage back when there’s three minutes left in the game and you’re protecting a seven-point lead, but Leshoure is.”

So Best’s job is to make big plays, and Leshoure’s job is to close. (He gets coffee.) Best, like Matthew Stafford, needs to show he can stay healthy for a full season after turf toe slowed him down throughout 2010.

All that quote does is exclude Best from certain duties. Of course Leshoure is the closer and goal line guy. The speculation is everything in-between because the roles have not been defined by the coaching staff yet. That happens during camp, right now.

'BallparkFrank said:
Here...

All that quote does is exclude Best from certain duties. Of course Leshoure is the closer and goal line guy. The speculation is everything in-between because the roles have not been defined by the coaching staff yet. That happens during camp, right now.
That will be the default setting going into the season. I don't see that changing in camp/pre-season. But I see Best struggling on every down situations, leading to more on more time over the course of the season for Leshoure. Best will make some big plays and will be very effective catching the ball. I think there will be too many carries where he gets less than 1 yard. It is a risky RB situation, although I think both RB's will be playable at an RB2/RB3 slot, but neither is one I would want as my RB1.

Do you guys see detroit protecting a lead and pounding the ball with Leshoure or playing in shootouts with quick dumps to best? Even with those 2 freak DLs, I don't see them nursing too many leads. Best will be on the field most of the time.

Do you guys see detroit protecting a lead and pounding the ball with Leshoure or playing in shootouts with quick dumps to best? Even with those 2 freak DLs, I don't see them nursing too many leads. Best will be on the field most of the time.
Probably, but it will be more of a 60-40 thing. Leshoure will be rotated in also. But I also see Detroit having a winning record this year, so Leshoure will get some opportunity to grind it out and collect about 8 rushing TDs.

Not saying it won't be frustrating owning either but I do know they will need to keep up w/ GB, NO and other high powered Os. Kinda what happened a lot w/ KC last year when Charles would stay on the field for the second half getting tons of screens and dumps to climb back into the game. The strength of Detroit's D will dictate who's getting the carries by a game to game basis.

I do know that best looked absolutley electric before his 2 turf toes. If he is that kind of back pre turf toes, he will have value and id love to have a guy that can score from anywhere on the field.

Jahvid Best was off to a fast start ladt season but he slowed down due to having turf toe on both feet. It lingered on most of the season and it effected his play on the field. The Lions have now gone out and drafted a pound it between the tackles rookie RB who looks like he can do the job. So if these bad toes act up again, there will be capable bodies behind Jahvid who can pick up the slack so there is a known risk factor when drafting Best. Still, he appears to be 100 percent healthy and he's an electrifying runner.

920 yards rushing 5 tds

48 receptions, 450 yards and 3 Tds.

Big bump to Jahvid Best as Leshure was carted off the field, and it looked bad according to reports.
When was this? This morning?
Rotoworld:
Lions second-round RB Mikel Leshoure was carted off the field Monday morning with an apparent lower left leg injury.We're not going to overreact until we get an update. But beat writer Tim Twentyman, who is on the scene, says it "looks bad." Jahvid Best was already running as the clear starter and would strengthen his grip on a majority role should Leshoure miss time. 10:36 am

So IF this is serious, who backs up Best? Morris? I hear Ricky Williams' phone ringing within the next 48 hrs.

Seems like when its the REALLY bad leg injury (ACL), the player CAN limp off.

Not being able to put any pressure on it makes me think broken ankle (PURE SPECULATION). But I'm saying that based on what I have seen when its the ACL or achilles (The handful of Achilles tears I've seen...those guys usually limped off too).

Whatever it si, it obviously sets him back and if the Texans are a good comparable, if its a break, he is probably headed to IR. Jason Snelling should have waited a few days before signing.

I'd like to revise my earlier projection of Best to 1,100 yards rushing, and about 70 catches. His value skyrockets from where he was in upcoming drafts, tempered only by who the Lions eventually sign or trade for to take Leshure's spot. Regardless, Best is feature back material.

Sell high on Best right now
:confused: Why? He looked great in preseason last year, and his agility in the open space....he was like a Westbrookian bottle rocket. We all saw what he did to Philly in week 2, when he had a 44 point fantasy game in PPR. Remember a lot of people wrote off McFadden and he had turf toe. Then came back healthy and exploded. I don't doubt Best's ability, and potential to be a star feature back.

I never expected Best to get goal line carries, even before they draft Leshore. Morris could have been their goal line back. Best is a home run hitter, you are either going to get a HR and 4 RBI, or an 0 for 4 game. I have Best, and will take LeShore if I get the chance, cause Best still might be fragile, even if turf toe is 100% fine, he could be injury prone type of guy. We'll see.

I never expected Best to get goal line carries, even before they draft Leshore. Morris could have been their goal line back. Best is a home run hitter, you are either going to get a HR and 4 RBI, or an 0 for 4 game. I have Best, and will take LeShore if I get the chance, cause Best still might be fragile, even if turf toe is 100% fine, he could be injury prone type of guy. We'll see.
I agree that Best is a homerun hitter, but he's not a strikeout risk. He's not going to go 0 for 4. He has a fairly high and stable floor in PPR, where he typically pulls in 5 catches a game. With minimual rushing stats, he can easily get 10+ points a game, amd that was with turf toe. I think his floor is more like 15 pts/game in PPR with no Leshoure and 100% health.

:confused: Why? He looked great in preseason last year, and his agility in the open space....he was like a Westbrookian bottle rocket. We all saw what he did to Philly in week 2, when he had a 44 point fantasy game in PPR. Remember a lot of people wrote off McFadden and he had turf toe. Then came back healthy and exploded. I don't doubt Best's ability, and potential to be a star feature back.
If you could get a player like Ingram for him right now then it is a sell high.

If you could get a player like Ingram for him right now then it is a sell high.
Ostensively yes, but we don't yet know the load distribution, and what the split of carries will be between him and PT. Also, will he struggle blocking or be taken out on third down passing situations. I know it sounds crazy, but I'd have a hard time with even that seemingly one-sided trade. However, if it's dynasty, yes for sure you do that deal.

So Calvin Johnson is a first rounder and Best is going to end up at the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd (He's around ADP 35 as of today).

What are your thoughts on owning both??? (2 Lions in an owner's first 2-3 picks might have seemed almost impossible as recently as a season ago)

So Calvin Johnson is a first rounder and Best is going to end up at the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd (He's around ADP 35 as of today).What are your thoughts on owning both??? (2 Lions in an owner's first 2-3 picks might have seemed almost impossible as recently as a season ago)
As long as Stafford stays healthy, you will do fine owning both.

So Calvin Johnson is a first rounder and Best is going to end up at the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd (He's around ADP 35 as of today).What are your thoughts on owning both??? (2 Lions in an owner's first 2-3 picks might have seemed almost impossible as recently as a season ago)
As long as Stafford stays healthy, you will do fine owning both.
That's good as Best will be there for the majority of Calvin owners at either pick 2 or 3.

'Raiderfan32904 said:
'eakfootball said:
Sorta reminds me of fragile Fred Taylor when people were down on him predicting injury and he stayed healthy for a number of years.

Users who are viewing this thread