What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Lee Roy Selmon (1 Viewer)

gump

Footballguy
http://www.tampabay....on-dies/1189484

A member of the College Football HOF from Oklahoma, only Buccaneers HOF member and first Ring of Honor inductee, and major influence on the budding USF football program has passed at the age of 57 from a stroke.

Big loss for the Tampa community.

:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
per Noah Pransky, reporter for Tampa's CBS, WTSP-TV:

Close friends of Lee Roy Selmon tell us #Bucs great currently on life support. Brother Dewey says not true, Lee Roy in "serious condition."

Pro Football Hall of Famer Lee Roy Selmon is in a Tampa, Fla., hospital after suffering a stroke on Friday.

WTSP-Ch. 10 in Tampa, Fla., reported that Selmon had died, but then later retracted the report and said he was still alive. Dewey Selmon, Lee Roy's brother, told WTSP-Ch. 10 that Lee Roy was on life support and making progress.

Oklahoma spokesperson Kenny Mossman posted on Twitter: "Just talked to Selmon family. Lee Roy has not passed away as of [7:37 ET]."

Making matters even more confusing is that Selmon's restaurant released a statement to the St. Petersburg Times that Selmon had died.

"It is with the deepest and most profound sorrow that we learned of our dear friend Lee Roy Selmon's passing this afternoon," Bob Basham, Chris Sullivan, Greg Lynn and Nancy Schneid said in a release from Lee Roy Selmon's restaurant."Lee Roy Selmon was a man of honor, integrity, strength and family values. He was our dear friend and business partner for many years. The loss for the Selmon family and the entire community, including friends, former teammates, University of South Florida, and the many loyal employees and customers at Lee Roy Selmon's restaurants is equally devastating.

"We are all so very shocked to lose our very dear friend.

"Lee Roy Selmon was a kind, compassionate, and caring human being, whose heartfelt soul inspired many of us. His legacy shall be the unconditional acceptance and hopeful spirit he modeled for us all."

Selmon is 56. He was an All-American at the University of Oklahoma before being drafted as the No. 1 pick of the Tampa Bay Bucs in 1976. He also was formerly athletic director at the University of South Florida until stepping down to take a position as the athletic department's chief fundraiser.

I didn't see ID's post, I guess he hasn't passed away, not yet. I hope he pulls through, it's too early for him to leave.

Wow! Sad news. He was a legend and loved in the Tampa community. Just the other day, I heard a radio ad for Lee Roy Selmon's steakhouse where he was going to host a labor day draft party and was going to autograph his framed pic for each fantasy draft party. This seems so surreal.

thoughts and prayers for the Selmon family.

Wow. This guy was a wrecking machine. He was the only player who gave the expansion Bucs any legitimacy whatsoever.

RIP Lee Roy Selmon

Reports: Lee Roy Selmon dead at 56 Sep 2 9/2/2011 7:20:20 PM | More MyFoxTampaBay reports there are conflicting reports are surfacing about the health of former Bucs legend and NFL Hall of Famer Lee Roy Selmon.On Friday, his restaurant announced that he died Friday afternoon. However, Selmon’s brother, Dewey, told Ch. 10 Friday evening that he’s alive and in serious condition.Dewey Selmon told Ch. 10 his brother is “showing signs of progress” after suffering a stroke at his home in Tampa.But on Friday, his restaurant released this statement:“It is with the deepest and most profound sorrow that we learned our dear friend Lee Roy Selmon’s passing this afternoon,” a statement from his restaurant said. “Lee Roy Selmon was a man of honor, integrity, strength and family values. He was our dear friend and business partner for many years.”The statement continued:“We are all so very shocked to lose our very dear friend,” the statement from his restaurant said. “Lee Roy Selmon was a kind, compassionate and caring human being, whose heartfelt soul inspired many of us. His legacy shall be the unconditional acceptance and hopeful spirit he modeled for us all.”

My condolences if he has indeed passed - LeeRoy was an absolutely fearless defender and his motor ran 100 percent all of the time. As another poster said, he brought legitimacy to the Bucs' D and, from what I know from friends who live in the Tampa area remained a proud and valued member of the community up until his passing. May he RIP and know that he will always be remembered as a great football player.

He's still battling...Looks like his restaurant spoke too soon. Pray that he recovers soon.

Report: Lee Roy Selmon still alive but hospitalized with stroke Sep 2 9/2/2011 7:53:33 PM | More Updating an earlier story, Lee Roy Selmon's brother Dewey told the Associated Press that Lee Roy was hospitalized with a stroke and "showing signs of progress." This is contrary to earlier reports which indicated Selmon had died.

WTH is the deal? Who releases a statement if it's not certain? Very strange.

BTW, the recent pics of him show a guy who looks like he could step right back on the field tomorrow. I realize it's hard to predict a stroke, but he looks very fit.

Great player, and a tremendous asset to the Tampa Bay community. Hope he pulls through.

Everything I said goes the same whether the guy's alive or dead. Except for the RIP part. That, hopefully, can wait.

If nothing else, I want to see him alive to fire the fool(s) who sent out that press release prematurely.

OU fans - who was the third brother? Lee Roy, Dewey and...
Lucious
Those were some awesome defensive teams under Barry Switzer.OU fans used to always say "God bless Mr. & Mrs. Selmon"

Lee Roy was first overall, and IIRC Tampa Bay took Dewey in the 3rd round.
Stuff like this is what football is all about.Unfortunately, it sounds bad even if he's not dead. very sad, he's a pretty young guy.

Extremely extremely sad. Met him a few times. He shook your hand and talked to you like you were his best friend.

:(

http://www.tampabay....off-the/1189609

The measure of a man is not in the games he plays. Deep down, to the twisted pits of your soul where you feel pain over Lee Roy Selmon, you know that. He was a great football player, a terrific, inspired football player. There is no arguing that. Selmon was perhaps the best to play in Tampa Bay, and perhaps the best to play in Oklahoma, one of the best to play anywhere. He won awards, and he reached halls of fame, and he defined excellence. You can choose that definition of Selmon, if you wish. Or you can remember something greater about a man who has been far more than a football player.

The measure of a man is not in the money he makes. It is not whether he has an expressway named after him, or a restaurant, or if his name is in the Bucs' Ring of Honor. It is not a bust in the Hall of Fame, or a statue that may be built on his college campus, or in the memories of a thousand black and white photographs from his playing days.In the case of Selmon, the measure of him and his meaning should be measured by the shadow he has cast. By the lives touched. By the grace shown.

And, yes, by the depth of the ache you felt when you heard the news that he had suffered a massive stroke Friday and was in extremely critical condition.

Extremely extremely sad. Met him a few times. He shook your hand and talked to you like you were his best friend. :(
I have as well and funny that I thought the same thing. Voted greatest Sooner ever. Greater person. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Selmon indeed. That Selmon brothers D Line at OU was nasty as it gets.

Lee Roy Selmon has made progress in a Tampa hospital as he fights for his life following a stroke on Friday.

Joey Johnston of the Tampa Tribune reports that Dewey Selmon says his brother is making progress and showing signs of improvement and responsiveness.

He's stable and we all have great hope,'' Dewey Selmon told Johnston. "He's a fighter. Keep the prayers going.''

Selmon, the former defensive end for the Buccaneers, remains in critical condition. The hope is a more clear outlook will be known by the end of the weekend.<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; ">

"Lee Roy knows that a lot of people care about him and are praying for him,'' Dewey Selmon said. "He knows that.''

Former Bucs linebacker David Lewis visited Selmon in the hospital Friday night and said he was able to recognize family members and squeeze hands. According to Lewis, Selmon is breathing on his own.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Selmon-remains-critical-showing-signs-of-improvement.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Channel 13 News in Tampa is reporting Lee Roy Selmon has passed away. RIP and God Bless the Selmon Family

While I am saddened he has passed, I also am thankful he is spared another 15 years confined to a wheelchair. My grandmother had a devastating stroke while she was driving and almost died when she was 62. She lived to be 80 but she never walked again and she was paralyzed on one side. In those terms I'm happy it didn't go on and on. God Bless Lee Roy, you'll be sorely missed.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
While I am saddened he has passed, I also am thankful he is spared another 15 years confined to a wheelchair. My grandmother had a devastating stroke while she was driving and almost died when she was 62. She lived to be 80 but she never walked again and she was paralyzed on one side. In those terms I'm happy it didn't go on and on. God Bless Lee Roy, you'll be sorely missed.
Who is to say she didn't enjoy some of those years leading up to 80? Who are you to make a judgement that she never enjoyed life because she was paralyzed?
Or how Selmon's life would have been, post-stroke had he survived?Not about you (again), MoP.RIP LRS; condolences to his family and friends.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
Who is to say she didn't enjoy some of those years leading up to 80? Who are you to make a judgement that she never enjoyed life because she was paralyzed?
I can confidently say my grandmother did not enjoy her golden years. She was open about it. Very independent woman, could never drive, never walk, it's devastating Hoss. Not sure why that got your dander up but relax. I understand your POV, noted, ty.

That was the not the thread title I wanted to modify to.

RIP Lee Roy.....will be a somber OD at Ray Jay on Sunday.

I'm kind of surprised at how sad this makes me. He was just such a giant in this community. He was Lee Roy. He was just always there, for everything important.

My mom doesn't follow one lick of football and she was extremely upset. He just made everything better.

Sad sad day in Tampa Bay.

I'm kind of surprised at how sad this makes me. He was just such a giant in this community. He was Lee Roy. He was just always there, for everything important.

My mom doesn't follow one lick of football and she was extremely upset. He just made everything better.

Sad sad day in Tampa Bay.
:goodposting: "Play Hard. Eat Well. And Don't Forget to Share."

Every city needs a great man like Lee Roy Selmon. To most, he'll be remembered as a great player from college or a Hall of Fame NFL star. Fair enough.

But Lee Roy Selmon wasn't just a football player. He is the greatest Tampa sports figure ever, but that is only the beginning of the story.

I remember calling the MDA telethon as a little kid and donating my allowance just so I could talk to Lee Roy Selmon, who was manning the phones locally. Hearing this news (the night of this year's telethon, actually) is very sad.

I remember reading somewhere that, although he was a feared opponent, he was never flagged for a personal foul in his entire career. If true, that says a lot about him and the way he played. Selmon was the face of football in Tampa. The loss is really having an impact locally.

RIP to Mr. Selmon, a great player who I recall singlehandedly terrorizing the Bears when I was a kid. By all accounts he was a first ballot Hall of Famer as a person too.

RIP Mr. Lee Roy Selmon.

Back in the day early days when Lee Roy terrorized the NFL, he set an example to his much pummeled and vanquished opponents afterwards with a warm smile and respectful handshake. He showed his class and grace as perhaps the most prominent family men in the Tampa Community. You see signs all over the place that Lee Roy was here. The University of South Florida's football team he helped establish, to underpriviliged minorities getting college degrees and turning their lives around. He will always be remembered as a great man.

I was shocked to read that Selmon was only 56. I saw him on TV a few months ago talking about USF and thought he was pushing 70.

Selmon was a legend on and off the field..lost a good man. RIP

Users who are viewing this thread