What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FA - Contingent Bids and multiple Primary Bids (1 Viewer)

GraceMan10

Footballguy
Forgive my ignorance, this is the first league where we've used blind bidding for Free Agents.

Am I only allowed to make one primary bid on a player? For example, if I wanted PlayerA, and I place three Primary bids for him:

PlayerA at $10

PlayerA at $25

PlayerA at $100

Will I automatically have to pay the $100 since that is the highest bid, or will I get PlayerA at $25 if no other league owner has bid more than $24 for him?

I'm trying to figure out how to use the system effectively to get a player without overpaying. Is there a way to do this, or is it just one bid per player and you either get him or not?

My other question is on Primary vs Contingent bids. As I read the rules, it says "The first player awarded will be the player with the highest primary bid, regardless of contigent bids." Does this mean that regardless of the contingent bids I have for a player, unless they become a primary bid by all bids above them being cancelled, they will not be used to bid on a player?

So as an example

Primary Bid for PlayerX @ $100

Contingent Bid for PlayerY @ $200

Even if my PlayerY bid is the high bid at $200, unless someone bids more than $100 for PlayerX, my contingent bid of $200 will not be considered for PlayerY?

Any suggestions are welcome. I like my team and I'm 1-0, but I don't want to hamper my chances by not understanding the FAAB process.

Forgive my ignorance, this is the first league where we've used blind bidding for Free Agents.Am I only allowed to make one primary bid on a player? For example, if I wanted PlayerA, and I place three Primary bids for him:PlayerA at $10PlayerA at $25PlayerA at $100Will I automatically have to pay the $100 since that is the highest bid, or will I get PlayerA at $25 if no other league owner has bid more than $24 for him?I'm trying to figure out how to use the system effectively to get a player without overpaying. Is there a way to do this, or is it just one bid per player and you either get him or not?My other question is on Primary vs Contingent bids. As I read the rules, it says "The first player awarded will be the player with the highest primary bid, regardless of contigent bids." Does this mean that regardless of the contingent bids I have for a player, unless they become a primary bid by all bids above them being cancelled, they will not be used to bid on a player?So as an examplePrimary Bid for PlayerX @ $100Contingent Bid for PlayerY @ $200Even if my PlayerY bid is the high bid at $200, unless someone bids more than $100 for PlayerX, my contingent bid of $200 will not be considered for PlayerY?Any suggestions are welcome. I like my team and I'm 1-0, but I don't want to hamper my chances by not understanding the FAAB process.
Even reading the PREVIOUS posts here much less the rules would have helped, but1) You can have as many bid groups as you want2) I think a player can only be the primary target in one bid group (if it lets you do multiples it should take the highest bid (you make ONE bid3) you can have a player as a "contingent" bid and still make them the highest in another bid group (so you are trying to get him in addition to the original primary player)4) Yes continent bids below the player you get in any list are cancelled, but again, #1 you can have multiple bid groups

It doesn't help you to make multiple primary bids on the same player. The system goes from highest primary bid and starts working its way down, so even if you did have three primary bids in on a player (say Cam Newton), it would execute your highest bid because that is the first bid the system will see once it starts processing bids.

For your second scenario, let's say for instance that you want another QB, and Cam Newton and Ryan Fitzpatrick are the two guys you are interested. You put in a primary bid of $200 for Fitzpatrick and a contingent bid in the same group of $175 for Newton. Then you create a second group and make Newton the primary bid at a bid of $100. Let's say another manager puts in a bid of $250 for Fitzpatrick and wins him. Your $200 bid for Fitzpatrick is now cancelled, but now your $175 bid for Newton is that group's primary bid, so your $100 bid is now useless.

I think the bottom line is you need to determine how much you are willing to pay for a certain player and then bid that amount. If you are setting up multiple groups, you should always list your highest bid first. In other words, if you want to add a defense or a kicker, don't put the kicker as the first person in your group with a bid of $10, and then have the players you really want - like say Cam Newton or Devery Henderson - second or third with higher bids. What if you put Henderson as your third choice in a group with a bid of $75, and the first person in that group has a bid of $10, and because you didn't click the "use as primary bid" option, somebody else got Henderson for $35.

Users who are viewing this thread