#651 Ghoti

Ghoti

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

Those are pretty damn impressive prices. Nobody will claim these beat out an iPad head to head, but at that price point my guess is that they push a lot of units.

#652 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,465 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Crap - price?

From Engadget live blog

The large one ships November 20th, by the way. Tweet Brian Heater 11:46 AM The 8.9 inch 16Gb version is $299. Brian Heater 11:45 AM The 7-inch 16GB is $199.

So my bday is in October. I listen to all you guys and get the Nexus 7 as an early present. I hate you all, if I just waited.... :P

Edited by belljr, 06 September 2012 - 10:51 AM.

I bow to the awesomeness of Josie

#653 Ghoti

Ghoti

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Kindle fire hd, 8.9" screen. 4G, 32GB, $499 $50 ANNUAL data plan

Edited by Ghoti, 06 September 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#654 Buddy Ball 2K3

Buddy Ball 2K3

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,672 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Kindle fire hd, 8.9" screen. 4G, 32GB, $499
$50 ANNUAL data plan 250mb a month :(

Fixed...

why bother with 250mb a month on a 4g tablet?

What you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul..

#655 Warrior

Warrior

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 13-May 10
  • Interests:The frequencies in my head are not known to normals..

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Kindle fire hd, 8.9" screen. 4G, 32GB, $499
$50 ANNUAL data plan 250mb a month :(

Fixed...

why bother with 250mb a month on a 4g tablet?

Perfect for me...I can check the news, sports info, all of my fantasy stuff all I want for 250 MB each month. I'll use my laptop/TV for streaming video.

For the record, I won't get the 4G version but I'll mainly use it at home (wireless) and at sports bars during Sundays (wireless), but it's an insanely low price for someone who doesn't stream video ($4 per month compared to $30)

Edited by Warrior, 06 September 2012 - 11:16 AM.

"They call me Hadouken because I am down right fierce."

--2011 'Wisdom of the Crowd' FBG contest Top-12 overall finisher--
--2012 'Wisdom of the Crowd' FBG contest Top-12 overall finisher--

--2013 'Wisdom of the Crowd' FBG contest #1 overall finisher--

--2012 FBG WoC inaugural fantasy league *Champion*--

--2013 FBG WoC fantasy league runner up (2nd place)--

It's hard to say what feminism and the women's uppity movement has done to the physical prowess and knife-combat skills of women.

#656 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,192 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Amazon came out guns blazing with the aggressive pricing. They even gave ship dates unlike microsoft. Love the amazon ecosystem , I just hope its more responsive than my original Fire

#657 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,192 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

the $50 comes with a ten buck amazon credit. I wonder what happens when you hit the limit. Upgrade data pricing?

#658 [icon]

[icon]

Insoxicated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68,893 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:X|O|O
    --------
    O|X|X
    --------
    X|O|O

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

:thumbsup to amazon for pushing the envelope here. This 250MB/mo data plan is actually a great idea for folks who don't really consume media (ie stream audio/video) from their tablets and are just looking for a mobile browser. :thumbup: Great price points as well.

Shortchanging Disabled Veterans
Wounded Warrior Project - only 65-80 cents/dollar sees intended recipients 

Our Troops in the Middle East have done the math.... the answer is clear. 

#659 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,192 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

ordering my wife a new e/ink if they ever appear on the site

#660 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,949 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

:thumbsup to amazon for pushing the envelope here. This 250MB/mo data plan is actually a great idea for folks who don't really consume media (ie stream audio/video) from their tablets and are just looking for a mobile browser. :thumbup: Great price points as well.

Yeah, I'd love something like this. Got the original Kindle Fire for X-Mas last year. Most of my use of it is reading, and then checking e-mail or FBGs when I decide to take a break from my book. Don't use it for streaming. Would love a data plan like that for it. May have to consider an upgrade.

#661 Polish Hammer

Polish Hammer

made of glass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,691 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

They are up now. Pretty sure I'm going to return the one I got for $79 and upgrade it to the new basic one for $69. Save $10, and get some minor improvements on font/page turning. Not bad. I don't read a lot in bed, but it is hard to justify the $40 for the new one, though it does seem slick. Then again, maybe I don't read a lot in bed b/c I don't want the light on.
"Life moves pretty fast....if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it."
-Ferris Bueller

#662 Barry

Barry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Joined 20-April 04

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

They are up now. Pretty sure I'm going to return the one I got for $79 and upgrade it to the new basic one for $69. Save $10, and get some minor improvements on font/page turning. Not bad. I don't read a lot in bed, but it is hard to justify the $40 for the new one, though it does seem slick. Then again, maybe I don't read a lot in bed b/c I don't want the light on.

the paperWHITE sounds great. I do a lot of reading in bed. I'd like to check one out before I upgrade and give my current one away.

Edited by Barry, 06 September 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#663 AcerFC

AcerFC

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 20,770 posts
  • Joined 11-August 05

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

My wife has a fire but we have never tried so I figured I would ask here Can you load a movie onto the fire to wactch where there is no wifi (plane, car, etc) Thinking of getting my kids one for the holidays but want to be able to let them watch with no wifi. I have looked for the answer online and at amazon but I am getting conflicting messages. Figured if someone here has done it, good enough for me Thanks

If BG's have a choice between Norm and Acer, even if both are PJ's why choose Norm?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

FBGs Cookbook

#664 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,724 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Photography
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

My wife has a fire but we have never tried so I figured I would ask here

Can you load a movie onto the fire to wactch where there is no wifi (plane, car, etc)

Thinking of getting my kids one for the holidays but want to be able to let them watch with no wifi.

I have looked for the answer online and at amazon but I am getting conflicting messages. Figured if someone here has done it, good enough for me

Thanks

:yes: There are many ways to do it.

I've followed this one and it worked:
Convert DVD to Kindle Fire

Also, this one on transferring existing files from the computer

#665 Fat Nick

Fat Nick

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,471 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Yes.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

My wife has a fire but we have never tried so I figured I would ask here Can you load a movie onto the fire to wactch where there is no wifi (plane, car, etc) Thinking of getting my kids one for the holidays but want to be able to let them watch with no wifi. I have looked for the answer online and at amazon but I am getting conflicting messages. Figured if someone here has done it, good enough for me Thanks

Yes. You can. I don't have mine in front of me, but it loads into a strange place (my videos?) instead of into the "Movies" tab. Only movies you buy/download from Prime go there. Stuff you "side-load" via USB go into the other folder. I can't think of exactly what it is called, but I took 5 movies with me on a trip to Europe and watched them on the plane without any wi-fi, etc. Worked great.

#666 AcerFC

AcerFC

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 20,770 posts
  • Joined 11-August 05

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Thanks guys. Looks like my daughter is getting a fire.

If BG's have a choice between Norm and Acer, even if both are PJ's why choose Norm?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

FBGs Cookbook

#667 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,724 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

FYI.. The first Kindle fire is on a "Hot deal" today at Amazon for $129 :thumbup:

#668 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,192 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

FYI.. The first Kindle fire is on a "Hot deal" today at Amazon for $129 :thumbup:

2nd gen model of the original Fire. This version is actually much better than the 1st gen Fire that I have

#669 NajehHejan

NajehHejan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,372 posts
  • Joined 20-April 08

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

2nd gen model of the original Fire. This version is actually much better than the 1st gen Fire that I have

Wow, this is a good deal. Does/can this Kindle support MS Excel/Word/etc?

#670 Getzlaf15

Getzlaf15

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,106 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Have not read this thread... We all love our kindles. We don't have any IPads or the like. This deal today looks great. What's the difference between and IPad and a Fire? Thanks

#671 matuski

matuski

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,253 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05
  • Interests:killing threads

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

What is the deal with the ads? Does my wife/kids have to close an ad everytime he gets on it, or are they always there?

#672 Foosball God

Foosball God

Foos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46,418 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

What is the deal with the ads? Does my wife/kids have to close an ad everytime he gets on it, or are they always there?

They are always there when you don't have it turned on. Pretty unobtrusive.
RIP Shining Path. You were a great poster and a great friend.

#673 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,724 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

They are always there when you don't have it turned on. Pretty unobtrusive.

:confused: talking about the kindle readers... Or did the Kindle fire come with the cheaper Ad feature?

#674 Brony

Brony

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Joined 24-July 12

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Pretty darn good price. I was looking to get an iPad mini for the wifey for Christmas. She just does email and web browsing on the ipod touch today (not a huge need to get HD). How are these things on the fire? Can it do Skype?

#675 BroncoFreak_2K3

BroncoFreak_2K3

sucker for Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,442 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Pretty darn good price. I was looking to get an iPad mini for the wifey for Christmas. She just does email and web browsing on the ipod touch today (not a huge need to get HD). How are these things on the fire? Can it do Skype?

dont think 2nd gen can, new HD can.

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3, 26 November 2012 - 01:43 PM.

QUOTE (timschochet @ Feb 23, 2012, 1:33PM) Naturally. I'm an idiot.
QUOTE (
Otis @ Oct 19, 2011, 8:29 PM) Otis, you were so stupid to pay a lot of money for that service.
QUOTE (timschochet @ Jan 20 2010, 10:04 AM) I'm weird, I know.
QUOTE (Ministry of Pain @ Dec 13 2009, 02:53 PM) I come off like a doosh no matter what I post.
QUOTE (Jaysus @ Nov 13 2008, 05:12 PM) my boner asked me to blackdot this thread for future reference.
QUOTE (AnonymousBob @ Aug 14 2007, 12:00 AM) When Joe Bryant is talking about shanking a dude you know it's bad.

#676 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,105 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08
  • Interests:Cooking, grilling, Clemson Athletics, beer, bourbon, reading, toga parties. Bullfrogs.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Wow, this is a good deal. Does/can this Kindle support MS Excel/Word/etc?

apparently had some rewards on my Discover card too, paid $100 total. Cant beat that. thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

#677 towney

towney

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Joined 01-October 06

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

What's with the annual 250mb data plan at 50 bucks a poster posted back in Sept. Who's it with?

#678 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,192 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

What's with the annual 250mb data plan at 50 bucks a poster posted back in Sept. Who's it with?

that is part of the $499 Fire

#679 snogger

snogger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,724 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
    Wine Making
    Fantasy Football
    NFL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

FYI in case you have issues with your Kindle fire.. Don't listen to support!!! :angry:

Last night I was unable to connect my Kindle fire to the wireless network. Also, if I tried to access the device settings I'd get "privacy settings has stopped responding" ..
After rebooting the Kindle fire ( hold the power button down for 30 seconds) and our router I chatted with Amazon support..

First thing they said " go to settings - device settings.." Told him, yea well.. As I mentioned above it won't respond.. next thing I get is:

I am sorry about the issue. It looks like your kindle needs to be replaced. I will help you with it. As I can see your kindle is out of warranty now and it will be a charged replacement. Currently the kindle is out of stock with us, So we are shipping the new kindle"Not the HD" for $127.20 with special offers.

Well, crap.. Told him I'd have to think about and closed the chat..
I then grabbed my daughters Kindle fire and low and behold it was displaying the EXACT issues..

So I waited about 2 hours and tried again and mine connected with no uses.. hmmm. Tried my daughter Kindle and it connected as well...

I then received a follow up e-mail with the offer and with this included:

*When done reading, press home before putting it to sleep, this forces a sync with our servers.

All evidence points to the fact the sync to the servers was dead and was causing all my issues.

Amazon CS has been contacted again in regards to this lousy service. :thumbdown:

Edited by snogger, 03 December 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#680 One

One

Not Allowed In Mexico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,692 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

My wife has an iPad and loves it, but says it hurts her eyes to read books on it for a long time. I was thinking the lower-end e-ink Kindle option could help. Anyone know where I should watch for one of these on sale?

#681 Polish Hammer

Polish Hammer

made of glass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,691 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

My wife has an iPad and loves it, but says it hurts her eyes to read books on it for a long time. I was thinking the lower-end e-ink Kindle option could help. Anyone know where I should watch for one of these on sale?

I don't think they go on sale much, but sometimes buying a refurb works fine. Slickdeals.net is a good place to keep an eye on them. I bought the e-ink Kindle this year and really like it. No eye strain.
"Life moves pretty fast....if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it."
-Ferris Bueller

#682 MikeIke

MikeIke

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,841 posts
  • Joined 21-September 03

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

Does anyone know if there's a way to set the Kindle so that purchases need a password? My wife is getting pissed at all the stuff the kids are buying. It doesn't seem right that there's no way to require a password when purchasing a show. My 5 year old just spent $20 to buy Team Umizumi Season 2 :wall:

I'll try anything once just to say I did it, including pounding a 24" weiner

#683 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,465 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

Does anyone know if there's a way to set the Kindle so that purchases need a password? My wife is getting pissed at all the stuff the kids are buying. It doesn't seem right that there's no way to require a password when purchasing a show. My 5 year old just spent $20 to buy Team Umizumi Season 2 :wall:

Setting Parental Controls on Kindle Fire With the latest software update available for Kindle Fire, you can enable Parental Controls to restrict access to the music, video, books and other content on your Kindle Fire, Wi-Fi and Internet access, and purchase and download access. To enable Parental Controls on your Kindle Fire, tap the Quick Settings icon, then More, then Parental Controls, then switch Enable Parental Controls to the ON position. Follow the onscreen instructions to set a Parental Controls password. You'll then see the options to enable various Parental Control settings. You will see a Key icon to the right of the Quick Settings icon whenever Parental Controls are enabled. Kindle Fire also supports parental controls for in-app purchases through the Amazon Appstore. If you forget your password, you can reset your device to regain access. Resetting your Kindle Fire to the factory default settings will delete all content on your device and you'll need to register it again before downloading items from your Amazon account. To reset your Kindle Fire: tap the Quick Settings icon, then tap More, then Device, then Reset to Factory Defaults. :shrug: there is also an app and make sure you don't have 1click check out on. ETA: I don't have a kindle

#684 MikeIke

MikeIke

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,841 posts
  • Joined 21-September 03

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Thanks bell, I'll check that out.

I'll try anything once just to say I did it, including pounding a 24" weiner

#685 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,192 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Disable 1-Click Ordering on the Kindle Fire or How to Prevent Accidental 1-Click Purchases In the first month after I purchased a Kindle Fire, I noticed an App in the Carousel that I was not familiar with. It was not of interest to me and I wouldn’t have installed it. The price was charged to my credit card without my knowing it. I think I must have hesitated as I was scrolling through the list of Apps and double-tapped on the price on the right hand side of the screen (where I usually scroll). The first tap on a price button brings up “Get App” and with the second tap you’ve purchased the App and it downloads and installs. I contacted Amazon through the website (under Help > Contact Us) but received no response after a week. I then contacted Amazon through the Appstore using the Kindle Fire and received the following response a few hours later: "Hello. I understand that with 1-Click ordering, it may be easy to make an unintended purchase. As a standard policy, Amazon Appstore purchases are not returnable. However, because of the circumstances, I've issued a refund for … in the amount of $***. This refund should go through within the next 2 to 3 business days and will apply to the payment method used for the original purchase. We look forward to seeing you again soon." This is a good policy if you are trying to avoid returns from Customers who are just trying out applications but a bad policy for accidental purchases that are way too easy to make with a capacitive touch screen, especially by children. With Kindle Fire Update Revision 6.3.1 in May 2012, Amazon now has improved Parental Controls to include password-protect purchases, disable access to specific content libraries, and block access to the Silk web browser. If your only concern is disabling 1-Click Purchases, you could remove your credit card from your 1-Click Purchases Settings as described below instead of using Parental Controls to Password Protect Purchases. Remove the credit card from 1-Click Purchase Settings: 1) Add a second credit card number to your Amazon account and select it as your 1-Click Payment Method Preference under Your Account > Settings > 1-Click Settings > Payment Method. 2) Delete this credit card from my Amazon account under Your Account > Payment > Payment Methods > Manage Payment Options. This will remove it from your 1-Click Payment Method Preferences. 3) Don't set up a payment method under 1-Click Settings until you want to make a 1-Click purchase. Do NOT delete your main credit card number from your Amazon Account Payment Method unless you don't mind re-entering it. Note that you can only edit your Payment Method or add a credit card under 1-Click Payment Method Preferences. You must delete the credit card using Your Account > Payment > Payment Methods > Manage Payment Options. Some Users have suggested using a Test Credit Card number for the 1-Click Payment Method Preference, like 4111-1111-1111-1111 for VISA. You could use it as a second credit card number in the method above and then delete it. I'm not sure what would happen if you accidentally tried to make a purchase using a Test Credit Card number so I would not leave it active for longer than needed. After deleting my credit card, I am still able to download free eBooks but not free Apps unless I add a credit card to the 1-Click Settings.

#686 scrumptrulescent

scrumptrulescent

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,795 posts
  • Joined 12-February 08

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

I have not read this entire thread but am considering either the Fire HD or Nexus 7 for the family. Both $199. Which is better? Use will be more surfing, game apps, movies.

Edited by scrumptrulescent, 07 December 2012 - 09:38 AM.

ceteris paribus

#687 Giant Wooden Badger

Giant Wooden Badger

the Beav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,656 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I have not read this entire thread but am considering either the Fire HD or Nexus 7 for the family. Both $199. Which is better? Use will be more surfing, game apps, movies.

Nexus 7 and it's not terribly close, IMO. ETA: I have the regular Kindle Fire but it's rooted and running Jelly Bean.

Edited by Giant Wooden Badger, 07 December 2012 - 09:50 AM.

Fun fact - I loswt my virginity exactly 3 dyas ago and also how efver many years oh my dog hi h'm nt ogood #### you and ythe horse you road in on hi see you later guess hwat my wife is all like blah blah balh and now we're are killijg you in you face an stuf..

#688 Maurile Tremblay

Maurile Tremblay

Footballguy

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 44,906 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I had the original Kindle Fire. I lost it, and now I have the Nexus 7.

I haven't ever used the Fire HD, so I can't include that in the comparison.

Aside from being thinner and lighter and faster and having a better screen (which you'd expect because the Nexus 7 came out later than the Kindle Fire), the operating system is MUCH, MUCH less annoying in the Nexus 7 than in the Kindle Fire.

The Fire HD may have caught up in terms of hardware (I'm not sure), but I strongly suspect that the manufacturer's "enhancements" to the operating system are still annoying.

It was a bit of work to load any Google apps (gmail, google voice, google maps, google drive, etc.) onto the Fire, while they are a piece of cake with the Nexus 7. And the Google Play store wouldn't work on the Fire at all (without rooting).

On the whole, I liked the Kindle Fire after I spent the effort to work around manufacturer-imposed software limitations. I love the Nexus 7.
I can't believe I've played the Lotto every single week for 15 years and I've only won $136 million.

#689 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,192 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

The 8.9 inch Fire HD is $249 today if anyone is looking for Christmas

#690 scrumptrulescent

scrumptrulescent

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,795 posts
  • Joined 12-February 08

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

Damnit don't tell me that. I was all but sold on the Nexus 7 at $200. Now I need to rethink this. Bigger screen for only $50 worth it? Will Amazon keep offering more apps in the future?
ceteris paribus

#691 Giant Wooden Badger

Giant Wooden Badger

the Beav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,656 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Damnit don't tell me that. I was all but sold on the Nexus 7 at $200. Now I need to rethink this. Bigger screen for only $50 worth it? Will Amazon keep offering more apps in the future?

I would still go with the Nexus 7. Just get the 32GB version for the $249 price.

Fun fact - I loswt my virginity exactly 3 dyas ago and also how efver many years oh my dog hi h'm nt ogood #### you and ythe horse you road in on hi see you later guess hwat my wife is all like blah blah balh and now we're are killijg you in you face an stuf..

#692 The Z Machine

The Z Machine

Freak-A-Zoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,885 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:????

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Link?
BOYCOTT WORLD CUP 2022

#693 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,465 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

Link?

amazon.com

#694 The Z Machine

The Z Machine

Freak-A-Zoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,885 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:????

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Link?

amazon.com

Crap. I misread that as an 8.9" Nexus tab for $249. :wall:
BOYCOTT WORLD CUP 2022

#695 STEADYMOBBIN 22

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,701 posts
  • Joined 11-April 10

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hmmmm....... Seems like the 8.9 isn't as well liked as the Regular 7" HD fire. They keep trying to lure me in but I think I'm going to stick with the Regular HD fire. Amazon says as long as you order before the 12th you can get it for Christmas so I'm waiting in hopes of a last minute flash sale.

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22, 10 December 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#696 Tybeeman

Tybeeman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Joined 27-September 05

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hmmmm....... Seems like the 8.9 isn't as well liked as the Regular 7" HD fire. They keep trying to lure me in but I think I'm going to stick with the Regular HD fire. Amazon says as long as you order before the 12th you can get it for Christmas so I'm waiting in hopes of a last minute flash sale.

I wonder why the larger one isn't liked as much? My wife and I are on the fence in buying the 8.9in for our daughter. I thought the only difference was the screen size, is that not the case?
When I was in high school, I got in trouble with my girlfriend's Dad. He said, "I want my daughter back by 8:15." I said, "The middle of August? Cool!" - Stephen Wright

#697 scrumptrulescent

scrumptrulescent

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,795 posts
  • Joined 12-February 08

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

The more I've read the more I'm starting to come back to the Kindle Fire from the Nexus 7. -I'm buying this for the family which means it will get used by an 8, 6, and 2 year old. -I've read that there are plenty apps available through Amazon and that will grow quickly given Amazon's ridiculous power. There is reason for Apple to fear Amazon's power. The apps available through Amazon maybe offer less posibilities but not as much of the disgusting crap either....which is important to me based on who will be using this device. -Amazon is determined to make the Nook obsolete and give the Ipad a massive migraine. I'm guessing they'll be adding quite a few apps in the future. Not sure what to do now....especially with the bigger screen on sale today.
ceteris paribus

#698 Maurile Tremblay

Maurile Tremblay

Footballguy

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 44,906 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

The more I've read the more I'm starting to come back to the Kindle Fire from the Nexus 7. -I'm buying this for the family which means it will get used by an 8, 6, and 2 year old. -I've read that there are plenty apps available through Amazon and that will grow quickly given Amazon's ridiculous power. There is reason for Apple to fear Amazon's power. The apps available through Amazon maybe offer less posibilities but not as much of the disgusting crap either....which is important to me based on who will be using this device. -Amazon is determined to make the Nook obsolete and give the Ipad a massive migraine. I'm guessing they'll be adding quite a few apps in the future. Not sure what to do now....especially with the bigger screen on sale today.

Yeah, it depends on what it will be used for. For just reading books and watching videos, the Kindle Fire is probably a better choice than the Nexus 7. The Fire is also fine for browsing the internet and using Facebook and Twitter. If you also want to do email, edit documents, use a map, organize photos, and generally use it like a little all-purpose computer, the Nexus 7 is the better choice. (I'm not sure about using it to play games. It's possible that the Amazon App store is somewhat limited compared to the Google Play store, but I really don't know.)
I can't believe I've played the Lotto every single week for 15 years and I've only won $136 million.

#699 scrumptrulescent

scrumptrulescent

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,795 posts
  • Joined 12-February 08

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, it depends on what it will be used for. For just reading books and watching videos, the Kindle Fire is probably a better choice than the Nexus 7. The Fire is also fine for browsing the internet and using Facebook and Twitter. If you also want to do email, edit documents, use a map, organize photos, and generally use it like a little all-purpose computer, the Nexus 7 is the better choice. (I'm not sure about using it to play games. It's possible that the Amazon App store is somewhat limited compared to the Google Play store, but I really don't know.)

So you can't email on a Fire or are you talking about all the Google options?

Edited by scrumptrulescent, 10 December 2012 - 01:15 PM.

ceteris paribus

#700 Maurile Tremblay

Maurile Tremblay

Footballguy

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 44,906 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

So you can't email on a Fire or are you talking about all the Google options?

Yeah, you can email on a Fire. But it's kind of a pain to install the Gmail app, if you prefer that over the stock email app.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users