Photo

NFL Mobile App for iPhone or Android - Can you stream to TV?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

For those that are with Verizon and have access to the NFL Mobile app to watch Redzone, NFL Network, etc.... Can you tell me whether it is possible to stream the video from that app to your TV? For example, stream the video from the iPhone to an Apple TV via Airplay or something? Or directly connecting the phone to the TV via some cabling? Thanks.

#2 Premier

Premier

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,523 posts
  • Joined 01-May 03

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

In addition to awful credit or criminal stuff, they mainly want to make sure you went to school where you said and worked where you did, when you did. The psych eval at hiring is strange. Doing one as part of the interview process is a bit more usual.

Ha. Was just wondering this, this past weekend. Was considering buying apple tv just for that. I couldn't find anything concrete, so :blackout:
All-time 'likes' record holder at FBG.

"I wish there was a 'love' option for his posts" -- Dr. Detroit

#3 BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

Ha. Was just wondering this, this past weekend. Was considering buying apple tv just for that. I couldn't find anything concrete, so :blackout:

The Verizon store people claimed to believe that it was possible. But I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it :rolleyes:

#4 Andrew74

Andrew74

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Joined 11-December 05

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

Sorry to hijack, but I just switched from a Blackberry to iPhone and it says I need to pay money to see Red Zone, etc. I am still with Verizon. How do I get that back?

#5 BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

Sorry to hijack, but I just switched from a Blackberry to iPhone and it says I need to pay money to see Red Zone, etc. I am still with Verizon. How do I get that back?

From what I understand it is $10/mo to get the live video feed from Verizon. You are really paying the $10/mo for Verizon V-Cast that the NFL Mobile app uses. My plan would be to pay the $10/mo during the football season, cancel, then restart it again. So it would be like $50/year. But my use of the app really hinges on whether I can stream it to my TV or connect the phone to the TV to watch the video.... :confused:

#6 17seconds

17seconds

root of all aliai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,075 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

There are DLNA capable apps like Twonky which might work. Your TV has to have WiFi. Or maybe it would work via a BluRay or other device with WiFi.

Edited by 17seconds, 20 October 2011 - 03:47 PM.

#7 BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

There are DLNA capable apps like Twonky which might work. Your TV has to have WiFi. Or maybe it would work via a BluRay or other device with WiFi.

I am definitely looking into 3rd party apps. But I would have thought having AirPlay built right in should make this a no-brainer.

#8 BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

Well, I guess I can try to call Verizon customer service to see if they have any answers. I sort of dread doing that though. :wall:

#9 Fullback Fro

Fullback Fro

yesno

• Frolicious
  • Pip
  • 18,955 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

I do this the quick and dirty way

If you jailbreak your verizon iphone and download the 'DisplayOut' App from Cydia. Then all you need to buy is the Apple Digital AV Adapter ($39) from Apple.

http://store.apple.c...oduct/MC953ZM/A

#10 Premier

Premier

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,523 posts
  • Joined 01-May 03

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

So how do you jailbreak a phone? Do I have to go to a dark alley or something?
All-time 'likes' record holder at FBG.

"I wish there was a 'love' option for his posts" -- Dr. Detroit

#11 Andrew74

Andrew74

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Joined 11-December 05

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

From what I understand it is $10/mo to get the live video feed from Verizon. You are really paying the $10/mo for Verizon V-Cast that the NFL Mobile app uses. My plan would be to pay the $10/mo during the football season, cancel, then restart it again. So it would be like $50/year. But my use of the app really hinges on whether I can stream it to my TV or connect the phone to the TV to watch the video.... :confused:

I could watch it on my BBerry and didn't pay anything. Maybe that wasn't supposed to happen.

#12 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,074 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

I could watch it on my BBerry and didn't pay anything. Maybe that wasn't supposed to happen.

I could watch also, since it came to verizon, until 2 weeks ago. Now to watch any live video it says I need to pay.
I bow to the awesomeness of :homer:  

#13 matttyl

matttyl

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,803 posts
  • Joined 27-August 10

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Bumping this thread to see if anyone did anything like this last year, or hopes to do it this year.  I have an iphone with Verizon, and if I understand the NFL mobile app properly, I'd pay $5 per month to watch Sunday, Monday and Thursday night games, as well as to be able to watch RedZone on Sundays. 

First off, is that true?  Only $5 per month for that capability on my phone? 

Next question is, can I then "sling" that to a computer or TV using an apple TV or similar device?  As I'm a "cable cord cutter" I'd love to be able to watch one game "over the air" on one TV, and then watch Redzone on a second TV via my phone.  Or to watch the games normally on ESPN or the NFL network on a TV via my phone.

#14 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,531 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03
  • Interests:Bottom

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

Bumping this thread to see if anyone did anything like this last year, or hopes to do it this year.  I have an iphone with Verizon, and if I understand the NFL mobile app properly, I'd pay $5 per month to watch Sunday, Monday and Thursday night games, as well as to be able to watch RedZone on Sundays. 

First off, is that true?  Only $5 per month for that capability on my phone? 

Next question is, can I then "sling" that to a computer or TV using an apple TV or similar device?  As I'm a "cable cord cutter" I'd love to be able to watch one game "over the air" on one TV, and then watch Redzone on a second TV via my phone.  Or to watch the games normally on ESPN or the NFL network on a TV via my phone.

Instead of slinging why not just use HDMI out of your laptop or an HDMI adapter for a tablet?  AppleTv might support streaming of this content via Airplay, but google that before you do it because Apple has some limitations on some content being streamed.

Edit: I see you mean mobile only.  In that case check and see if Apple TV supports airplay for NFL streams.  If it does then you are golden, or else you could just get the HDMI adaptor for your ipad or iphone.

Edited by culdeus, 11 July 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#15 matttyl

matttyl

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,803 posts
  • Joined 27-August 10

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

Yes, mobile only.  Just seeing if anyone else has done something similar.  Typically I can get 2 or 3 over the air games on a Sunday with Fox or CBS.  I'd love to be able to get Redzone as well through my phone and onto a TV.  While I can get the HMDI adapter for like $40, I'm not sure how clean of a picture that would be, and it wouldn't be that much more to just get an apple TV which would have much more capability.

#16 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,531 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03
  • Interests:Bottom

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yes, mobile only.  Just seeing if anyone else has done something similar.  Typically I can get 2 or 3 over the air games on a Sunday with Fox or CBS.  I'd love to be able to get Redzone as well through my phone and onto a TV.  While I can get the HMDI adapter for like $40, I'm not sure how clean of a picture that would be, and it wouldn't be that much more to just get an apple TV which would have much more capability.

It depends on what tablet or phone you use and what adapter you select.  The new adapter for the lightning is not HD.  The older 30 pin adapter is.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users