What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many teams make the playoffs in your league? (1 Viewer)

dallas ram

Footballguy
Our league has 8 out of 12 teams make the playoffs. There's very little incentive to do well in the regular season, just don't suck it up too bad. Then inevitably, 1 or 2 of the top seeds lose on the first weekend due to bad luck, putting them out of the money. I'm frustrated by repeatedly finishing in the top 4 during regular season, then losing to some nobody in week 14. The flipside argument I get is that more spots increases participation for the bottom half of the league late in the season. Can others tell me how their league is set up? Give me some ammunition to get this changed.

50% is a good number for me...ie, 6 of 12, 8 of 16, 4 of 8, etc. Not sure what to do with the 10 teamers...4 seems too little, and 6 seems too many.

I play in (2) 12-team leagues.

MFL- 6 teams w/ top 2 receiving BYEs

CBS- 4 teams, no BYEs, starts 1 week later than MFL

I kinda like the 4 team playoff more, b/c the money is better

We have 6 of 12 make the playoffs in my league. I find that is a good selection of the "deserving teams" since that is the top 50%. If you look at the NFL, they have 12 out of 32 make the playoffs, which equals 37.5% of the league.

12-team league. 2 teams make the playoffs. We used to let 4 teams in the playoffs but we got sick of #4 seeds beating #1 seeds all the time.

But even the 2-team format may not last, as this year's #1 seed has Jennings and Murray so there's a pretty good chance that he'll lose in the Super Bowl. We might just switch to Total Points for next year.

League one: 4 of 12

League two: 6 of 12

6 keeps more people interested, which seems like a healthy thing for friends.

I'd rather have the random 8 seed make a playoff run here and there, than have just a few teams make the playoffs. It makes everyone think they have a chance and keeps interest up in the league.

When interest in the league wanes, people leave. I'd much rather spend my time doing something else instead of hunting down people to fill open slots in the league.

One 14 teamer, play each other once and top 4 make it, round robin for the 3 playoff weeks. In the other 14 teamer there are 2 divisions and 6 teams make the playoffs.

I agree with the OP that there should be some emphasis on making the regular season meaningful. I no longer play in leagues with more than half of the teams making the playoffs. I recently quit a 10 teamer cuz 6 teams were making the playoffs and every playoff team was loaded so luck was more of a factor than skill in winning the championship.

In the first league, to keep everyone interested, the top scoring team for the last 3 weeks of the regular season (that don't have byes) gets $125 and into the playoffs. Every year, except for this year (league's been around for 17 years), one of the 4 playoff teams gets the 3 week total but it still keeps you interested if you're not in the playoff hunt. The other league pays the weekly high score during the regular season from fees charged for transactions.

4 of 10 or 6 of 14 is perfect. Any more and it's almost a crapshoot to get to the $. Any less and it's easy to get left out of the playoffs even if you get the most points in the league, due to scheduling.

For 12 teams, it's tough. 4 is too little, 6 is too many. Too bad you can't do a 5 team playoff in Yahoo with the #1 seed getting a bye and a three-way (giggity) championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like 4 of 12 best. Too many rounds in the playoffs can see the better teams lose because of the randomness of luck. In one league where 6 of 12 teams make it 2 of the teams including myself are in with losing records and I am going to win this week.

10 team league. 5 teams make the playoffs.

Top team gets a bye week. The other four play in week 14. The lowest scoring team in week 14 is out of the playoffs.

Week 15 is seeded based on record and tie breakers. Super Bowl is week 16.

I'm in 5 leagues and my wife is in 2. they are all 10 and 12 team leagues, and 6 make the playoffs in all of them, with the top 2 seeds getting byes.

In a couple leagues this year, we started giving the 6th seed to the team (outside the top 5) that had the most points scored. So everyone is still somewhat in it, and those teams that put up points, but had some bad matchups can still make it.

I think that's a decent amount to keep people interested, and still award the top 2 seeds byes. There's supposed to be upsets in playoffs, so I don't get people complaining about low seeds beating top seeds. It's the same as the regular season, and how some of the top teams had good matchups and got to the top. You have to adapt your team so its ready for playoff matchups. If a 6 seed puts together a good team for the playoffs, and makes a run at it, congrats to him. Just cause you get 1st or 2nd on the season (maybe you had cake matchups) doesn't mean you deserve to win the championship.

Wild card teams can win their way to the superbowl and become champs, they don't just let the top 2 teams directly into the superbowl.

8 of 14

Bottom 6 play in the toilet bowl

Top scoring team for Week 17 wins $$ (to keep guys interested)

I'm in 5 leagues and my wife is in 2. they are all 10 and 12 team leagues, and 6 make the playoffs in all of them, with the top 2 seeds getting byes. In a couple leagues this year, we started giving the 6th seed to the team (outside the top 5) that had the most points scored. So everyone is still somewhat in it, and those teams that put up points, but had some bad matchups can still make it.I think that's a decent amount to keep people interested, and still award the top 2 seeds byes. There's supposed to be upsets in playoffs, so I don't get people complaining about low seeds beating top seeds. It's the same as the regular season, and how some of the top teams had good matchups and got to the top. You have to adapt your team so its ready for playoff matchups. If a 6 seed puts together a good team for the playoffs, and makes a run at it, congrats to him. Just cause you get 1st or 2nd on the season (maybe you had cake matchups) doesn't mean you deserve to win the championship. Wild card teams can win their way to the superbowl and become champs, they don't just let the top 2 teams directly into the superbowl.
How much do you spend per week updating and formatting your sig?

'dallas ram said:
too many makes it too random...
Agreed.Our league takes the top 8 out of 12. No byes for the top teams either. It really sucks.Too much luck (both good and bad) involved there in single-elimination playoffs. But oh well.

4 teams with 2 week play-offs per round, meaning you take the total points for the 2 weeks. This eliminates 1 random bad week and being eliminated.

'BigSteelThrill said:
'lazyike said:
'BigSteelThrill said:
never more then half.

and usually, its half.

8 of 16.

no byes.

home field advantage.
As long as the highest ranked team gets the all important home field advantage.
Our playoffs/divisions/conferences work just like the NFL.
giving points for home field advantage is not like the NFL......

We have a 12-team league with eight teams making the playoffs. A few years ago I was the #1 seed and got knocked out in the first round by the #8 seed. That year the #2 also got knocked out in the first round. Crap like that happens every now and then but we're fine with the playoff structure.

One league I am in is 8 of 12, and every year there is at least 1 big upset, and numerous times over the years our champion has been a 6 or lower seed who got hot. I think it's terrible, but was overruled every time I suggested reducing the number of teams.

I actually won the championship from the 8 seed a couple years ago, and this year just upset the 2 seed as a 7 seed. I hate it, but it's not my league to run.

50% is too many teams. Sending half the teams to the playoffs rewards mediocrity.

For a 12 Team League, 4 teams should qualify.

'Warrior said:
4 of 10 or 6 of 14 is perfect. Any more and it's almost a crapshoot to get to the $. Any less and it's easy to get left out of the playoffs even if you get the most points in the league, due to scheduling.For 12 teams, it's tough. 4 is too little, 6 is too many. Too bad you can't do a 5 team playoff in Yahoo with the #1 seed getting a bye and a three-way (giggity) championship.
For 12 teams, there isn't any difference for the top seeds whether it's 4 or 6 making the playoffs. Since they get byes, they face the same number of rounds either way.

5 of 12 make the playoffs in my main league (16 years old)

week 15 - 4 vs 5

week 16 - 1 vs 4 or 5 / 2 vs 3

week 17 - title game

My main league is a 10 team redraft, 8 teams get in. I started off 0-8 and won my last 5 to sneak in. My team has been on fire (Gronk, Harvin, A.Brown, Lynch).

Down by 40 Fantasy pts with Lloyd and Lynch to go tonight (not looking good but not impossible either).

In a way it keeps everyone interested in it till the end.

For fantasy leagues, I like having lots of teams make the playoffs. Lots. Way over half. But then you reserve a sizeable amount, maybe half, of the pot for the top regular season finishers. Then the other half of the pot goes to a wide open playoffs, which is almost like a second season. And top seeds should be able to pick their playoff opponents, too.

I'm in a league with a bunch of Public School teachers. 12 teams, all make the playoff, no scoring system and payouts are the same for every team.

8 of 14 no byes. Wonder why I tried sp hard so get the #1 seed, it doesn't matter. (but I did win this week against a much better team than the 8 designation would make you think)

6 of 12, with top 2 getting a first round bye.

In addition, we award 1.5 points per seed differential in the first two rounds. So, for example, the #3 seed receives 4.5 bonus points against the #6 seed, while #4 receives 1.5 bonus points against #5. In the next round, if the #6 seed won, the #1 seed would get 7.5 bonus points against #6.

We find that 6 of 12 keeps people interested, plus the byes and bonus points create heavy incentives to do well in the regular season.

The way to combat the randomness of 50% of the teams getting in is to change the payout structure. We pay each division winner a portion of the pot as well as the top scorer. We also have a rule in place where the 6th playoff spot (12 team league) goes to the person with the most points scored that is not already in the playoffs which also helps combat the randomness of straight H2H matchups.

Of course if you're worried about randomness just do a play-all league and screw a playoff system.

3 out of my leagues is the generic top 4 make the playoffs. One of my league's the "co-worker" league, ykno the one that everybody has is set up that the top 6 make the playoffs. My team is rock solid and I was pretty much guaranteed a playoff position by week 10, I've been sharking the hell out of them and just picking up hurt players that people have dropped. I took a few losses in the process, but I'm going to have an insane playoff team. :thumbup:

4 out of 12 (is the best way to do it)..

If 6, then the two top teams (or two division winners) should get a first round bye.

I am also in favor of giving a points advantage to the higher-scoring team. Like, if one team averages 104.4 points a week and another averages 117.2 points a week, then the latter team gets a 12.8 point advantage at the start of the game. Kind of like a home field advantage.

6 out of 12 make it in my main redraft league. We use three, 4 team divisions, playing our championship game week 17 (yeah, I know...) to ensure that one has to play every team at least once, & divisional opponents twice during regular season. I hate week 17 championships, but I generally like the idea of having to play everyone (+ divisional foes twice). Agree whole-heartedly allowing more than 50% into playoffs increases randomness. I'd prefer allowing only 4 teams so we could do away w/ week 17 entirely.

We have 8 out of 12 in.

Our #3 overall scorer this year squeezed in as the #8 seed and subsequently bounced the #1 seed. In 8 years of this league the #1 seed has fallen to the #8 on 7 occasions. The only #1 seed to escape was in 2009 and he went on to win it all.

We will always be 8 of 12.

12-team league. 2 teams make the playoffs. We used to let 4 teams in the playoffs but we got sick of #4 seeds beating #1 seeds all the time.But even the 2-team format may not last, as this year's #1 seed has Jennings and Murray so there's a pretty good chance that he'll lose in the Super Bowl. We might just switch to Total Points for next year.
Do you just switch the rules every time the #1 seed doesn't win the championship? :lmao:

12 team leagues, 6 team playoffs with 2 first round byes.

I think having the byes to play for helps keep games meaningful down the stretch for the top teams.

never more then half.

and usually, its half.

8 of 16.

no byes.

home field advantage.
As long as the highest ranked team gets the all important home field advantage.
Our playoffs/divisions/conferences work just like the NFL.
giving points for home field advantage is not like the NFL......
Neither is giving points for yardage, receptions, turnovers......

50% is too many teams. Sending half the teams to the playoffs rewards mediocrity. For a 12 Team League, 4 teams should qualify.
then whats the point of playing a whole season? half the teams are eliminated by week 7 and will careless about their team from that point on? the reason so many teams play in playoffs are to keep teams interested. 12 team leagues, 8 should make the playoffs, never any byes. luck is a part of fantasy and so is single elimination playoffs.

10 team league, 6 make the playoffs, 2 had a bye week this last week. It is a lot but if you get the bye week you just have to win one game to make it to the SB....

This was the first year we went to no divisions and the competition was intense, almost everyone had a chance to get in right up to the end.

Users who are viewing this thread