#1 mroberts327

mroberts327

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 11-July 11

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

This was my first year using football guys and I was blown away by the content and approach. I can now say I'm a football guys subscriber for life. So, as I prepare for just my second year of fantasy baseball (I'm a 10 year fantasy football vet), I'm led to my question: What site is the football guys of Fantasy Baseball?

#2 thetman

thetman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,189 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

I've yet to find it, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

#3 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61,859 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:#beefsparade #tournamentofhotdogs

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

I don't think there is a right answer. I follow certain writers on twitter, go to CBS and rotoworld, then check fan graphs, then snoop around on team forums. It's a lot of work but baseball news is pretty hit or miss outside of closers and you have to do the legwork for prospects. Baseballtangent is pretty good though. They have a guy named cappy over there that does some great podcasts. :thumbup:

E il mio non le dice niente?

I'm MOP

Helping disabled veterans: Wounded Warrior Project

#4 Eephus

Eephus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,597 posts
  • Joined 26-April 05

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:19 AM

I don't think there is a right answer. I follow certain writers on twitter, go to CBS and rotoworld, then check fan graphs, then snoop around on team forums. It's a lot of work but baseball news is pretty hit or miss outside of closers and you have to do the legwork for prospects.

Baseballtangent is pretty good though. They have a guy named cappy over there that does some great podcasts. :thumbup:

Domination has never been so easy

#5 Encyclopedia Brown

Encyclopedia Brown

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,580 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:40 AM

I have used fantistics the last few years. 30 bucks for the season is a good deal. They have a really thorough stats database. They deliver separate e-mails for both leagues, and each are filled with a lot of info.

#6 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,027 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05
  • Interests:Wine and FF

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

This was my first year using football guys and I was blown away by the content and approach. I can now say I'm a football guys subscriber for life. So, as I prepare for just my second year of fantasy baseball (I'm a 10 year fantasy football vet), I'm led to my question: What site is the football guys of Fantasy Baseball?

Really depends on what you want from a baseball site. If you can answer that it would make it easier to recommend one that you would like
Stay ahead of your leaguemates

www.mastersball.com

#7 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

To post this question in here, is there any web site that has a VBD or Draft Dominator application comparable to FBGs?

#8 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,027 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

To post this question in here, is there any web site that has a VBD or Draft Dominator application comparable to FBGs?

Yes, there are a few different ones. There are two reasons I suggest you look at Mastersball.com 1) There is more immediate response and help with all the tools and 2) I offer a money back guarantee on your satisfaction for FBG PVH

www.mastersball.com

#9 mroberts327

mroberts327

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 11-July 11

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'd like to see thoughtful statistic analysis, detailed player scouting, and maybe a podcast from a professional staff with a good industry reputation.

#10 dparker713

dparker713

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,530 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

You can get pretty much everything for free at fangraphs. Certainly any stats you want and plenty of analysis. They also do prospect analysis. Of course, I'm generally not looking for someone to make decisions for me - just looking for the latest information. Also, outside of Twitter, Hardballtalk is probably the fastest way to get the news. If you're looking for a pay site, I actually like ESPN's baseball coverage with Insider. Keith Law and Buster Olney have most of their stuff behind the paywall and hopefully they get someone to replace Jason Grey on the fantasy side.

Edited by dparker713, 06 January 2012 - 02:52 PM.

4 out of 4 Footballguys recommends dparker713's advice

#11 Lehigh98

Lehigh98

Footballguy

• Street Team
  • Pip
  • 10,305 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Things that are interesting

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

This isn't exactly what you're looking for but I enjoy the writing and its free... Razzball
(Plus his rankings and analysis helped me draft well and win my league last year)
Ad Free Since '93

#12 scrumptrulescent

scrumptrulescent

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,791 posts
  • Joined 12-February 08

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

This isn't exactly what you're looking for but I enjoy the writing and its free... Razzball
(Plus his rankings and analysis helped me draft well and win my league last year)

Stop! I don't want league mates to know about it. I've only played FB for 4 years. That site is the only one I've used. I've finished with 2 first places, and 2 third places during that time. Grey seems to know what he's talking about. A little too jokey at times, but entertaining most of the time.
ceteris paribus

#13 Flash

Flash

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,578 posts
  • Joined 10-April 07

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

:blackdot:
God Bless The United States of America

#14 beaux

beaux

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Joined 20-April 11

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Rotoworld has a really good fantasy baseball forum when things start to kick in: http://forums.rotowo...-baseball-talk/

#15 The Sniper

The Sniper

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts
  • Joined 16-November 06

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

baseballhq.com is on another level from anything else I've seen.

#16 Matthias

Matthias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,224 posts
  • Joined 21-September 09

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

I've been getting Shandler's Baseball Forecaster the past few years and it's the best I've found for fantasy purposes. He does, though, goes out of his way to create his own names for things so that it seems like he's doing more than he is. So he talks about a pitcher's CONTROL instead of their bb/9 or DOMINATION instead of K/9 or COMMAND instead of their k/bb. But it is extremely good. Another site to check out, although I find their stuff less useful for fantasy, is baseballprospectus.com.
I thought this thread would be bad when I read the topic, but it is actually much worse after reading some of the responses in here. -JoeT

#17 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,027 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

In some ways perhaps, but of course it is also much more expensive than any other site for FB

www.mastersball.com

#18 DoubleBandit

DoubleBandit

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 16-February 11

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

I stumbled on to SportsDraftDaily.com today. It was an interesting read and a free site for fantasy baseball.

#19 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,027 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

I stumbled on to SportsDraftDaily.com today. It was an interesting read and a free site for fantasy baseball.

They are just getting started but for now the fantasy baseball information from Shawn Childs, one of the top fantasy players in the country, is definitely worth reading.

www.mastersball.com

#20 nickel&dime

nickel&dime

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Joined 15-October 10

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

My favorite free fantasy football site just launched something for baseball. If they do half of what they did for football, it should be a nice resource for MLB. Here are a couple links:

Consensus Rankings (you can pick the experts)
Player Love/Hate (Chase Utley example)
Sleepers (Pitcher picks from 25 experts)

#21 dal_boys_phan

dal_boys_phan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 437 posts
  • Joined 20-July 03

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

:blackdot:
"Past performance is not indicative of future results, which may vary"

#22 Billy Bats

Billy Bats

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,755 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

My favorite free fantasy football site just launched something for baseball. If they do half of what they did for football, it should be a nice resource for MLB. Here are a couple links:

Consensus Rankings (you can pick the experts)
Player Love/Hate (Chase Utley example)
Sleepers (Pitcher picks from 25 experts)

This site looks pretty good, thanks for the link.
Pittsburgh Tankers, what a proud franchise: "We got to the point, if we won one more game or two, Mario Lemeiux would've been in New Jersey. That's how close we were." The plan was hatched over a midseason lunch between him and E.J. "We didn't actually try to throw games. But, you know, we went in there with the understanding ... we weren't going to be upset if we lost." The old coach admits it all now. They tanked it.

#23 INRIhab

INRIhab

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 579 posts
  • Joined 04-January 08

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

Thanks!

I was going to create an excel to track budget, available players, projected accumulated stats vs. goals, etc. for a ROTO league ... then I saw that this site has a "war room" excel workbook that already does it, which is awesome. Has a lot of data inside the workbook though, will probably simplify it.

#24 INRIhab

INRIhab

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 579 posts
  • Joined 04-January 08

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

Don't think Last Player Picked has been mentioned yet. For free auction values, this system looks pretty good. The creator explains his methodology for the program as well (seems like he uses Excel Solver to create it). Razzball's "point share" system for generating auction values looks interesting too, but I like LPP's method better for standardizing stats.

#25 pantagrapher

pantagrapher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,211 posts
  • Joined 27-May 03
  • Interests:All of the above.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

This is interesting. As entertaining as I find Grey, I think his analysis and predictions the past two seasons has been really poor. The other writers on the site, while not as entertaining, do post some valuable stuff. Especially their minor league rundowns. But Grey's posts should be taken with a grain of salt, IMO.

Edited by pantagrapher, 06 March 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#26 Matthias

Matthias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,224 posts
  • Joined 21-September 09

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thanks!

I was going to create an excel to track budget, available players, projected accumulated stats vs. goals, etc. for a ROTO league ... then I saw that this site has a "war room" excel workbook that already does it, which is awesome. Has a lot of data inside the workbook though, will probably simplify it.

Interesting. I've been making one of these for myself for the past few years. I'll download this one tonight and take a look.

Overall, not a fan of Razzball, though. His analysis is ok but his writing always comes off like he's trying too hard.
I thought this thread would be bad when I read the topic, but it is actually much worse after reading some of the responses in here. -JoeT

#27 rascal

rascal

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,485 posts
  • Joined 13-September 05

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thanks!

Interesting. I've been making one of these for myself for the past few years. I'll download this one tonight and take a look.

Overall, not a fan of Razzball, though. His analysis is ok but his writing always comes off like he's trying too hard.

I don't see it on their site. Can you provide a link?

#28 INRIhab

INRIhab

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 579 posts
  • Joined 04-January 08

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Thanks!

I don't see it on their site. Can you provide a link?

http://razzball.com/...eball-rankings/

Fifth from the bottom. I used it in a mock auction and wasn't happy with it. I quickly realized that I need everything on one or two tabs. If you scroll down to comment #54 on the download page, some guy uploaded a modified version that is better.

#29 Northern Voice

Northern Voice

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,371 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Not neccesarily fantasy based, but any subscribers here to Baseball Prospectus or ESPN Insider? Thoughts on them, worth the price? I like Keith Law and Kevin Goldstein in particular but a lot of their Twitter links are to their pay sites, obviously for good reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users