#1 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

It's the offseason - if you have IDP questions, I'll try to give an opinion. I have some prejudices - I don't answer questions that don't use capitalization or punctuation, I undervalue CBs and 3-4 OLBs and DEs... but I'll try to answer all questions. Others are welcome to answer as well.

#2 rbphilly

rbphilly

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 24-November 10

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

Which DB do you like more as a deep league dynasty stash: Major Wright, Alterraun Verner or Chris Harris (Denver)?
16 team IDP (tackle heavy) and PPR (+ return yards) Dynasty League (2011 and 2012 league champion)

QB - Robert Griffin III; RB - Jamaal Charles, Doug Martin, Matt Forte; WR - Julio Jones, Brandon Marshall, Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz; TE - Jared Cook K - Dan Bailey

IDP - Jerod Mayo, Sean Lee, Derrick Johnson, Jerrell Freeman, Wesley Woodyard, Bruce Carter, London Fletcher, Bernard Pollard, Danny Trevathan, Antoine Bethea, Altterraun Verner

Offensive Bench - Sam Bradford, Kirk Cousins; Cyrus Gray, Eric Decker, Denarius Moore, Kenny Britt, Marvin Jones, Dwayne Harris, Jacoby Ford; Jermaine Gresham, Taylor Thompson

Defensive Bench - Mark Herzlich, Daryl Sharpton, Vince Williams, Joplo Bartu, Keenan Robinson, Miles Burris, Leodis McKelvin, Quintin Mikel, Jimmy Smith

#3 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

Which DB do you like more as a deep league dynasty stash: Major Wright, Alterraun Verner or Chris Harris (Denver)?

None of them appear to have a future as a starter for any fantasy team to me. Are there any rookie safeties on your waiver wire with a chance at being a starting SS at any point? If so, I'd go after them instead of any of these guys. If you have to pick one, I guess Harris since he's young.

#4 SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 25-August 11

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Which Safety in Denver is the guy to own? I brought the topic up in the IDP forum but I appreciate, in advance, your advice. If Brian Dawkins' career is done, which guy benefits the most with the opportunity to take over? Is it somebody other than Rahim Moore or Quentin Carter?

West Alex League (10-team, Dynasty, PPR, IDP, Standard Scoring, Lineup: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 TMPK, 3 DL, 4 LB, 4 DB):

QB: Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Mike Glennon

RB: Jamaal Charles, Knile Davis, Montee Ball, Ronnie Hillman, CJ Anderson, Alfred Morris, Roy Helu, Lache Seastrunk, Knowshon Moreno, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas

WR: Julio Jones, Michael Crabtree, Pierre Garcon, Kendall Wright, Andre Johnson, Tavon Austin, DeAndre Hopkins, Marqise Lee, Mike Williams, Brian Quick

TE: Rob Gronkowski, Jordan Reed, Dwayne Allen

TMPK: Seattle

DL: Cameron Wake, Greg Hardy, Adrian Clayborn, Muhammed Wilkerson

LB: Bobby Wagner, Mychal Kendricks, Perry Riley, Paul Worrilow, Kevin Minter, Von Miller, Jamie Collins, Keenan Robinson, Desmond Bishop

DB: Morgan Burnett, Harrison Smith, Reshad Jones, LaRon Landry, William Moore, Shamarko Thomas, Da'Norris Searcy

#5 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

Which Safety in Denver is the guy to own? I brought the topic up in the IDP forum but I appreciate, in advance, your advice. If Brian Dawkins' career is done, which guy benefits the most with the opportunity to take over? Is it somebody other than Rahim Moore or Quentin Carter?

I'd say it has to be one of those two guys. Neither has the veteran advantage from Fox, so it's an open competition. I don't really know how it will shake out, but since Carter took over for Moore mid-season, he won this year. With nothing else to go by, I'd say Carter has the inside track on the job.

#6 SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 25-August 11

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

I'd say it has to be one of those two guys. Neither has the veteran advantage from Fox, so it's an open competition. I don't really know how it will shake out, but since Carter took over for Moore mid-season, he won this year. With nothing else to go by, I'd say Carter has the inside track on the job.

Great! I appreciate the advice. I will stock Carter, cross my fingers, and wait. Hoping I can strike offseason gold like I did with Kam Chancellor. Thanks again!

West Alex League (10-team, Dynasty, PPR, IDP, Standard Scoring, Lineup: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 TMPK, 3 DL, 4 LB, 4 DB):

QB: Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Mike Glennon

RB: Jamaal Charles, Knile Davis, Montee Ball, Ronnie Hillman, CJ Anderson, Alfred Morris, Roy Helu, Lache Seastrunk, Knowshon Moreno, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas

WR: Julio Jones, Michael Crabtree, Pierre Garcon, Kendall Wright, Andre Johnson, Tavon Austin, DeAndre Hopkins, Marqise Lee, Mike Williams, Brian Quick

LB: Bobby Wagner, Mychal Kendricks, Perry Riley, Paul Worrilow, Kevin Minter, Von Miller, Jamie Collins, Keenan Robinson, Desmond Bishop

DB: Morgan Burnett, Harrison Smith, Reshad Jones, LaRon Landry, William Moore, Shamarko Thomas, Da'Norris Searcy

#7 Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,865 posts
  • Joined 18-March 10

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

This thread has the potential to be one of the best offseason threads. Thanks for doing this. :thumbup: A couple deep fliers along the dl. Brandon Graham Lawrence Sidbury Which guy do you feel has the greater fantasy potential? And how likely do you think it is either guy will actually reach said potential?

If you're ever in the mood to watch a scummy Chef Boyardee nail a woman while she tries to hold back vomiting, Bing's got you covered.

#8 Shane Falco

Shane Falco

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 887 posts
  • Joined 11-June 08

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

None of them appear to have a future as a starter for any fantasy team to me. Are there any rookie safeties on your waiver wire with a chance at being a starting SS at any point? If so, I'd go after them instead of any of these guys. If you have to pick one, I guess Harris since he's young.

I'd go a different direction and say Wright has the best chance to stick as a starter in the NFL, not sure if that makes him fantasy relevant though behind those LBs in Chi. I'm not a fan of CBs as a DB starter either. Too inconsistent

I think Carter will be the better play as a SS though both should start next season
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

#9 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

This thread has the potential to be one of the best offseason threads. Thanks for doing this. :thumbup: A couple deep fliers along the dl. Brandon Graham Lawrence Sidbury Which guy do you feel has the greater fantasy potential? And how likely do you think it is either guy will actually reach said potential?

I'd say Graham has the higher potential, and has the better chance of reaching it. I've got him in a couple of leagues and will hold him, but I have to admit I'm concerned that he hasn't really done anything yet. Still, it looks like they could lose a couple of the DEs in front of him (Tapp, Parker), which opens up a chance. Still, I figured Everette Brown would eventually make it in Carolina, and it feels like Graham might be following that path. Sidbury seems like he'll be perpetually behind Biermann in the pecking order, and while the Abraham spot should open up pretty soon, losing him means the other guys don't have the freedom he provides by drawing the blocking schemes. It just seems like Sidbury's chances aren't great to me.

#10 Uncle Buck

Uncle Buck

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 243 posts
  • Joined 07-June 08

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hey tick, I have been following your post for a while now and I usually find a lot of values in your posts, which is why I would like your opinion on this trade. 18 team IDP Dynasty league. Starting Roster is 1 Qb 1 RB 2 WR 1 TE 2 DL 2 LB 2 DB 1 K The trade would be the 6th pick + 12th pick + Ponder + Laron Landry for his 17th pick + bradford + Antrel Rolle My current starting QB is Big Ben, but I want another young QB with elite upside, which I think Bradford has.] Am I giving up too much to upgrade from ponder to bradford or is it fair?

#11 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hey tick, I have been following your post for a while now and I usually find a lot of values in your posts, which is why I would like your opinion on this trade. 18 team IDP Dynasty league. Starting Roster is 1 Qb 1 RB 2 WR 1 TE 2 DL 2 LB 2 DB 1 K The trade would be the 6th pick + 12th pick + Ponder + Laron Landry for his 17th pick + bradford + Antrel Rolle My current starting QB is Big Ben, but I want another young QB with elite upside, which I think Bradford has.] Am I giving up too much to upgrade from ponder to bradford or is it fair?

Yeah, I think you're giving up way too much to get a guy you hope to only play once per season. 18 teams makes getting a backup QB difficult, so I think you're right to be trying to use Ponder in any upgrade trade, but I really don't like this trade. I could understand the trade if the 5th pick weren't involved, but that's way too valuable. Heck, you can get Luck or Griffin with that 5th pick. With Ben, Ponder, and one of the rookie starters in an 18 team league, you'd have a nice position of strength to deal from.

#12 Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Joined 04-September 11

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm doing a slow startup draft as we speak. It's 16 teams full IDP 45 man roster. JPP was the first IDP player off the board in round 3. I have already drafted a QB, WR, and RB. I have the 8th pick in the 4th round and Im trying to figure out where the tier of elite DE's end so I know if I need to jump on one or keep going with offensive positions if that tier has already passed. Or, if I miss out on the DE's should I jump on the LB's, or is there more depth in that position? My scoring system is as follows: All Defensive positions get: 1.2 pts for each sack DT/DE get: .6pt/ tackle, .3pt/assist LB/CB/S get: .44pt/tackle, .22/assist Roster Requirements Total Starters: 19 Number of Starting QBs: 1 Number of Starting RBs: 2-3 Number of Starting WRs: 2-3 Number of Starting TEs: 1-2 Number of Starting PKs: 1 Number of Starting PNs: 1 Number of Starting DTs: 1-2 Number of Starting DEs: 2-3 Number of Starting LBs: 2-3 Number of Starting CBs: 2-3 Number of Starting Ss: 2-3 Sorry for the detailed question but Im learning IDP as Im going and thought Id have more time to study as the draft unfolds. Any help would be appreciated

@Eddy24

#13 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'm doing a slow startup draft as we speak. It's 16 teams full IDP 45 man roster. JPP was the first IDP player off the board in round 3. I have already drafted a QB, WR, and RB. I have the 8th pick in the 4th round and Im trying to figure out where the tier of elite DE's end so I know if I need to jump on one or keep going with offensive positions if that tier has already passed. Or, if I miss out on the DE's should I jump on the LB's, or is there more depth in that position? My scoring system is as follows: All Defensive positions get: 1.2 pts for each sack DT/DE get: .6pt/ tackle, .3pt/assist LB/CB/S get: .44pt/tackle, .22/assist Roster Requirements Total Starters: 19 Number of Starting QBs: 1 Number of Starting RBs: 2-3 Number of Starting WRs: 2-3 Number of Starting TEs: 1-2 Number of Starting PKs: 1 Number of Starting PNs: 1 Number of Starting DTs: 1-2 Number of Starting DEs: 2-3 Number of Starting LBs: 2-3 Number of Starting CBs: 2-3 Number of Starting Ss: 2-3 Sorry for the detailed question but Im learning IDP as Im going and thought Id have more time to study as the draft unfolds. Any help would be appreciated

New IDP guys tend to jump on them waaay too soon in dynasty startups. Just wait it out and look for value picks IMO. IDPs are a lot more sensitive to scheme, coach, and position changes than offensive players are, which means they generally have value for fewer years, and also means that new guys pop up with value each season. On the offensive side, new guys get value, but they're generally guys who went in the first round of your rookie draft. IDP gems can be consistently found in the third week of the preseason off your waiver wire, even in that deep of a league. I would expect in your format to start looking for IDP value in the 8th round or later, but I still wouldn't expect to have five IDPs until around the 16-18th round depending on what's left at RB, WR, and QB. Also, consider waiting on your CBs, safeties, and DTs until very late in the draft - there will be a new batch this season. I've never played with a punter before, so I've never given them much thought in FF terms - how do you score them? How wide is the gap in their scoring compared to other positions? How consistent are they from year to year? Is there any info out there on fantasy punters, or are you on your own?

#14 Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Joined 04-September 11

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

New IDP guys tend to jump on them waaay too soon in dynasty startups. Just wait it out and look for value picks IMO. IDPs are a lot more sensitive to scheme, coach, and position changes than offensive players are, which means they generally have value for fewer years, and also means that new guys pop up with value each season. On the offensive side, new guys get value, but they're generally guys who went in the first round of your rookie draft. IDP gems can be consistently found in the third week of the preseason off your waiver wire, even in that deep of a league. I would expect in your format to start looking for IDP value in the 8th round or later, but I still wouldn't expect to have five IDPs until around the 16-18th round depending on what's left at RB, WR, and QB. Also, consider waiting on your CBs, safeties, and DTs until very late in the draft - there will be a new batch this season. I've never played with a punter before, so I've never given them much thought in FF terms - how do you score them? How wide is the gap in their scoring compared to other positions? How consistent are they from year to year? Is there any info out there on fantasy punters, or are you on your own?

Ok thanks. I'll try to look for value late and be strong enough to pass on the big names. Punters look pretty much like Kickers, so I figure the last pick in the draft but I've never used them before either and haven't looked for info yet other than what the website listed top performers based on last years numbers. I also forgot to mention that we get return yardage points so for example Patrick Peterson was top 5 in points last year among all defensive guys.

@Eddy24

#15 SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 25-August 11

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

I've seen several reports that Jasper Brinkley will be in line to take over the MLB position in Minnesota. I haven't been able to find much info on him other than his season ending hip injury from this past season. Any insight on this guy and if he can be a real dynasty fantasy asset?

#16 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

I've seen several reports that Jasper Brinkley will be in line to take over the MLB position in Minnesota. I haven't been able to find much info on him other than his season ending hip injury from this past season. Any insight on this guy and if he can be a real dynasty fantasy asset?

I picked him up last offseason in case of a Henderson injury, but dumped him when EJ was fine through the preseason. He filled in a couple of years ago, but was only a 2-down guy, I believe. There were concerns that he would never be an every-down LB, so it really caps his upside. Of course, there have been other guys who have surprised us in that regard (Tulloch springs to mind), so I would think he's worth stashing until we see what happens in training camp.

#17 eric rymer

eric rymer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03
  • Interests:Football, Land Cruisers, shootin' stuff

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

curious for a couple opinions on my LB situation. I get to keep 3 out of the 5 listed. 16 team IDP start 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB Jon Beason - Car Colin McCarthy - Tenn Ray Lewis - Balt Lamar Woodley - Pitt Aldon Smith - SF Scoring (please don't ask why we score this way. I don't like it either) 2 pts at 4 tackles and 2 points for each additional 2. 2 assists = 1 tackle. ex 8 solo's = 6 points / 8 solo 4 assist = 8 points, etc. 4 per sack 1 per PD 4 per INT Anyway.....Lewis, Beason and Woodley have been on my crew for years. Woodley has been my bye week filler and matchup guy and this has worked with some success. Woodley gets just enough tackle numbers with the occasional sack to keep up with the others. I was lucky enough to pickup McCarthy and Smith during the season and really like their upside. As it stands I am currently keeping Beason and McCarthy. I love Smith's upside. 14 sacks from a rookie that is only playing part time is very encouraging once he gets the full time job (next year IMO). I am concerned about how much longer Ray will play. 16 years in the league is a long time. I know he is a special player that defies age but I am trying to look to the future as well. Woodley appears to be the odd man out to me. Sorry for the novel here but felt it was needed. TIA

I'll never understand the "answer mine and I'll answer yours" angle.

If you can't answer your own questions, why would I be comfortable with you answering mine?

#18 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Sorry for the novel here but felt it was needed. TIA

No, the detail is great. This might be lame, but... wait a week. We'll hear from Lewis once his season ends, and that'll help you decide. I'd take Lewis if he returns, otherwise I'd take Smith. I understand the reason to consider Smith over Lewis, but I just don't love 3-4 rush OLBs.

#19 eric rymer

eric rymer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Joined 18-April 03
  • Interests:Football, Land Cruisers, shootin' stuff

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

Sorry for the novel here but felt it was needed. TIA

No, the detail is great. This might be lame, but... wait a week. We'll hear from Lewis once his season ends, and that'll help you decide. I'd take Lewis if he returns, otherwise I'd take Smith. I understand the reason to consider Smith over Lewis, but I just don't love 3-4 rush OLBs.

Yeah this has been a really tough decision. This keeper/dynasty league I have been in for over 10 years and everyone is friends and really competitive. Ray is probably my all time favorite player as well. We have a deadline to remove players from IR on the 20th so I have to activate Beason. Since we only have 3 roster spots I have to make a decision by Friday. I'd love to wait and see but time is not on my side. I am with you 100% though. With my scoring system it really favors the high tackle guys like Lewis. I know as soon as I let Smith loose, he'll get snatched up and Lewis will retire. :wall: I'll wait as long as possible but might just hold Lewis till he calls it a career. I just hate the thought of missing the next big thing. Time will tell. thanks.

I'll never understand the "answer mine and I'll answer yours" angle.

If you can't answer your own questions, why would I be comfortable with you answering mine?

#20 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'd say Graham has the higher potential, and has the better chance of reaching it. I've got him in a couple of leagues and will hold him, but I have to admit I'm concerned that he hasn't really done anything yet. Still, it looks like they could lose a couple of the DEs in front of him (Tapp, Parker), which opens up a chance. Still, I figured Everette Brown would eventually make it in Carolina, and it feels like Graham might be following that path. Sidbury seems like he'll be perpetually behind Biermann in the pecking order, and while the Abraham spot should open up pretty soon, losing him means the other guys don't have the freedom he provides by drawing the blocking schemes. It just seems like Sidbury's chances aren't great to me.

Nolan coming in and likely installing a 3-4 knocks Sidbury lower.

#21 Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Joined 04-September 11

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Is there any indication as to what CAR is going to be next year? Are they moving to a 3-4 or do we not know yet? What would you do with Johnson and Hardy: buy, hold, avoid? Right now I have Hardy as my DE3. Should I add another DE in order to hedge my bet? I asked this in the coaching change thread but thought I'd ask here also invade it gets lost in the shuffle over there.

@Eddy24

#22 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Is there any indication as to what CAR is going to be next year? Are they moving to a 3-4 or do we not know yet? What would you do with Johnson and Hardy: buy, hold, avoid? Right now I have Hardy as my DE3. Should I add another DE in order to hedge my bet? I asked this in the coaching change thread but thought I'd ask here also invade it gets lost in the shuffle over there.

I'm not plugged in enough on Carolina. I know they were stowing more 3-4 as the season went along, but I'm not clear on which LBs are under contract for next season. If they got everyone back from injury, it seems like Hardy and Johnson wouldn't necessarily be starters at OLB - they might end up at 3-4 DE if they can hold up. Personally, I'd hold both of them just because there aren't enough good DEs out there, so you have to hold any who might be really good, and both Hardy and Johnson will be really good if they stick with a 4-3. The question of whether you need to hedge or not depends on which players are available. Personally, I roster any guys above some magical threshold in my brain at each position, regardless of my depth at the position. Once all of those guys are on rosters, I fill in with fliers or replacement-level guys I have a gut feeling on, again regardless of position. When it comes time for the season, you can always pick up some middling DE if Carolina goes to a 3-4. There's just no real reason to hold those guys in the offseason - hold the lottery tickets instead/

#23 Dagorhir

Dagorhir

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 14-February 12

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

I need some advice plz. Salary Dynasty: Okay, I just picked up a team w/Nick Barnet but he's my highest paid LB. He's up for an Extension if I like, anywhere from 1 to 4 years(after the 2012 season). Can I trust the guy to not run outta gas since he's 30 now? Was last year a fluke or was he he 'just healthy' and put up decent numbers...??? We can start 0-3 LB'ers(0-3 on all IDP) and I also inherited C.Matthews, VonMiller and Aaron Maybin. I'm well below the League's cap but I just don't feel like I can trust the guy for another 2 or 3 years. He's a #1(29th) but that was 10 years or so ago. Scoring for Defense- Tackle (solo)- 1.75 pts Tackle (assist)- 1.25 pts Tackle For Loss- 2.25 pts Sack- 3.5 pts Forced Fumble- 4 pts Fumble Recovery- 2 pts Safety- 2 pts Interception- 4 pts Pass Defended- 2 pts Defensive TD- 6 pts Read more: http://dynasty32.pro...1#ixzz1mNQH7IpO My gut is to just let him play out the year and possibly give the extension(I only get one a year) to some one else, like Matthews who's contract runs out after 2013. Thx very much! ETA: Lemme go find the scoring real quick.

Edited by Dagorhir, 14 February 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#24 Bucky86

Bucky86

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,439 posts
  • Joined 31-October 11

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Someone is offering me Brandon Lloyd for Donald Butler straight up. I am in a big need to LBers. Should I be expecting similar, if not better numbers, from him next year? I'm in a tackle heavy format.

PSN:   BeanDawgSmack

#25 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

I need some advice plz.

Salary Dynasty:

Okay, I just picked up a team w/Nick Barnet but he's my highest paid LB. He's up for an Extension if I like, anywhere from 1 to 4 years(after the 2012 season).

Can I trust the guy to not run outta gas since he's 30 now?
Was last year a fluke or was he he 'just healthy' and put up decent numbers...???

We can start 0-3 LB'ers(0-3 on all IDP) and I also inherited C.Matthews, VonMiller and Aaron Maybin.
I'm well below the League's cap but I just don't feel like I can trust the guy for another 2 or 3 years.
He's a #1(29th) but that was 10 years or so ago.

Scoring for Defense-
Tackle (solo)- 1.75 pts
Tackle (assist)- 1.25 pts
Tackle For Loss- 2.25 pts
Sack- 3.5 pts
Forced Fumble- 4 pts
Fumble Recovery- 2 pts
Safety- 2 pts
Interception- 4 pts
Pass Defended- 2 pts
Defensive TD- 6 pts

Read more: http://dynasty32.pro...1#ixzz1mNQH7IpO

My gut is to just let him play out the year and possibly give the extension(I only get one a year) to some one else, like Matthews who's contract runs out after 2013.

Thx very much!

ETA: Lemme go find the scoring real quick.

I'm not used to contract leagues, but I think you're on the right track with Barnett. IMO he's very situation-dependent at this point in his career. I see him just a little ahead of where Dhani Jones was the past few years - get what you can out of him, but assume he'll fall off a cliff sometime soon.

Which guy to extend is a different question, but in general I'd cheat toward offensive players rather than IDPs due to stability.

#26 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Someone is offering me Brandon Lloyd for Donald Butler straight up. I am in a big need to LBers. Should I be expecting similar, if not better numbers, from him next year? I'm in a tackle heavy format.

I'm guessing Lloyd is on your team. I doubt I'd ever make that trade, but that's not what you asked. I would expect Butler to improve on his numbers, maybe even by quite a margin. If he gets an every-down role, he'll explode. I'd equate him with Curtis Lofton after his rookie season to some extent.

#27 Dagorhir

Dagorhir

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 14-February 12

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

I need some advice plz.

Salary Dynasty:

Okay, I just picked up a team w/Nick Barnet but he's my highest paid LB. He's up for an Extension if I like, anywhere from 1 to 4 years(after the 2012 season).

Can I trust the guy to not run outta gas since he's 30 now?
Was last year a fluke or was he he 'just healthy' and put up decent numbers...???

We can start 0-3 LB'ers(0-3 on all IDP) and I also inherited C.Matthews, VonMiller and Aaron Maybin.
I'm well below the League's cap but I just don't feel like I can trust the guy for another 2 or 3 years.
He's a #1(29th) but that was 10 years or so ago.

Scoring for Defense-
Tackle (solo)- 1.75 pts
Tackle (assist)- 1.25 pts
Tackle For Loss- 2.25 pts
Sack- 3.5 pts
Forced Fumble- 4 pts
Fumble Recovery- 2 pts
Safety- 2 pts
Interception- 4 pts
Pass Defended- 2 pts
Defensive TD- 6 pts

Read more: http://dynasty32.pro...1#ixzz1mNQH7IpO

My gut is to just let him play out the year and possibly give the extension(I only get one a year) to some one else, like Matthews who's contract runs out after 2013.

Thx very much!

ETA: Lemme go find the scoring real quick.

I'm not used to contract leagues, but I think you're on the right track with Barnett. IMO he's very situation-dependent at this point in his career. I see him just a little ahead of where Dhani Jones was the past few years - get what you can out of him, but assume he'll fall off a cliff sometime soon.

Which guy to extend is a different question, but in general I'd cheat toward offensive players rather than IDPs due to stability.

Thanks Very MUCH!!!

:thumbup:

#28 dirtyhalos

dirtyhalos

capital letter hater!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,922 posts
  • Joined 14-May 04

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

It's the offseason - if you have IDP questions, I'll try to give an opinion.

I have some prejudices - I don't answer questions that don't use capitalization or punctuation, I undervalue CBs and 3-4 OLBs and DEs... but I'll try to answer all questions. Others are welcome to answer as well.

wtf?
wis iii champion

#29 houndirish

houndirish

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Joined 09-December 04

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

:goodposting: Tick is spot on here. If there's a common mistake in startup dynasty drafts that use an IDP format it's that defenders get overvalued. A deep offense with no IDP studs is preferable to a talent laden D that got outshopped on offense. I'd look at the highest rated rookies (clearly Luck but Blackmon and Richardson too) before going defense. That sounds obvious but I've seen it screwed up more times than I can count. Also, it's hard to overvalue a stud QB. They have a much longer lifespan than even the best RB. When we did our startup draft in 2005 the guy with the top pick took Peyton Manning over Ladainian Tomlinson and was widely criticized. In hindsight it was a far superior pick.
Joe Montana after getting blindsided by Leonard Marshall in the '91 NFC Championship Game:

"Everything hurts"

#30 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

I have some prejudices - I don't answer questions that don't use capitalization or punctuation, I undervalue CBs and 3-4 OLBs and DEs... but I'll try to answer all questions. Others are welcome to answer as well.

wtf?

<----dirtyhaloshater

#31 Bucky86

Bucky86

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,439 posts
  • Joined 31-October 11

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

:goodposting: Tick is spot on here. If there's a common mistake in startup dynasty drafts that use an IDP format it's that defenders get overvalued. A deep offense with no IDP studs is preferable to a talent laden D that got outshopped on offense. I'd look at the highest rated rookies (clearly Luck but Blackmon and Richardson too) before going defense. That sounds obvious but I've seen it screwed up more times than I can count. Also, it's hard to overvalue a stud QB. They have a much longer lifespan than even the best RB. When we did our startup draft in 2005 the guy with the top pick took Peyton Manning over Ladainian Tomlinson and was widely criticized. In hindsight it was a far superior pick.

:goodposting: :goodposting: 3 years ago in my IDP startup I waited until much later before drafting my first IDP. I managed to build a STUD offense and a so-so defense where I usually find myself adding 2-3 free-agents during the season to shore up some points. I have won my Super Bowl 2/3 times. The guy who decided to get funny and grab the Patrick Willis' way to early hasn't even sniffed the Super Bowl.

Edited by Bucky86, 16 February 2012 - 03:56 PM.

PSN:   BeanDawgSmack

#32 dirtyhalos

dirtyhalos

capital letter hater!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,922 posts
  • Joined 14-May 04

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

1329435196[/url]' post='14111978']

1329319714[/url]' post='14107132']

1325353141[/url]' post='13961462']

wtf?

<----dirtyhaloshater

u suck.
wis iii champion

#33 pretender

pretender

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Joined 26-March 04

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hi Tick - long time no talk! I value your opinion very much and would like to know your thoughts on some linebackers I inherited on a team I took over. It is an IDP 45 man roster, start 1-2 DT, 2 DE, 3/4 LB, 2 CB, 2 Safeties. Scoring for linebackers sacks 5, tackles 1.5, assists .75, interceptions 5, FF 3, FR 3 and sack/interception yardage .10 per yard My starters are Willis, Daryl Washington, Bishop and probably Briggs or Demaco Ryans. The other linebackers that I am wondering about whether to keep or drop would be the following: Acho, Sam ARI LB Clayton, Keenan PHI LB English, Larry SDC LB Grant, Larry SFO LB Kindle, Sergio BAL LB McClain, Jameel BAL LB Thanks in advance!

Edited by pretender, 07 March 2012 - 09:34 AM.

Bleed Green and Gold

#34 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hey, Connie. That's a little higher value for big plays than I'm used to, but I'll try to rank them. Acho, Sam ARI LB McClain, Jameel BAL LB - He should be good if he gets a chance, and he might this offseason. English, Larry SDC LB Kindle, Sergio BAL LB Clayton, Keenan PHI LB - I just don't know anything about him, sorry. Grant, Larry SFO LB - I'll even rank the guy I don't know anything about above him - I can't see him every being useful again, particularly with the depth at LB for San Francisco.

#35 KCitons

KCitons

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,785 posts
  • Joined 07-August 10

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

I think it needs to be said that all owners should fully understand your leagues IDP scoring. With IDP leagues on the rise, there are bound to be new owners that stumble upon this thread. I have seen leagues that equalize the scoring between offensive players and IDP's. In cases like this, you can't stick to the theory of waiting on drafting your defensive players. I would compare this to some of the Experts Leagues of recent years. Those leagues had higher scoring for TE's.

That's my Opinion and I'm sticking to it

#36 jsharlan

jsharlan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Joined 22-July 09

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

What are your thoughts on LB Casey Matthews, is he destined to just be fodder? I was unfortunate last year to be having a rookie draft right in the middle of training camp and all the hype about Matthews starting in the middle caused me to use a draft pick on him. I'm starting to regret that decision now as it looks like he just won't pan out. Also any thoughts of this year's rookie crop of LBs?

#37 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

I think it needs to be said that all owners should fully understand your leagues IDP scoring. With IDP leagues on the rise, there are bound to be new owners that stumble upon this thread. I have seen leagues that equalize the scoring between offensive players and IDP's. In cases like this, you can't stick to the theory of waiting on drafting your defensive players. I would compare this to some of the Experts Leagues of recent years. Those leagues had higher scoring for TE's.

Equalizing scoring is one thing, but depth across a position still drives down IDP value. When your league starts 20-24 RBs and there are only 40 decent RBs every week for fantasy purposes, it's always going to be hard to make LBs anywhere near as valuable since there are more like 100 decent LBs every week and your league starts around 36. TE is a shallow position, so driving up value there is easier. DTs would be a place where it can certainly be done due to the lack of depth there. DEs possibly... but LB/S/CB is just too deep of a pool.

#38 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

What are your thoughts on LB Casey Matthews, is he destined to just be fodder? I was unfortunate last year to be having a rookie draft right in the middle of training camp and all the hype about Matthews starting in the middle caused me to use a draft pick on him. I'm starting to regret that decision now as it looks like he just won't pan out. Also any thoughts of this year's rookie crop of LBs?

Regarding Matthews, I've bid on him in a few dynasty leagues this offseason, but not because I have much faith in him - I just think there's a plausible scenario where he gets another shot at MLB. I've seen some rumors of Philly having interest in some free agent LBs, though, and I have to think they'll address their LBs in some way. I don't think we'll know Matthews's future prospects until we see what types of LBs they bring in through FA and the draft. If there's still a gap at MLB, you'd have to think he'll get first crack at it among their existing guys. For the rookies, I'm guilty of paying minimal attention until we see what their situations are after being drafted. I've read those situations incorrectly before, but in general, that's more important among IDPs than offensive players.

#39 rustycolts

rustycolts

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 936 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I have Will Weatherspoon and he is getting real long in the tooth.Should I trade him for what few RFA dollars I can get.Or should I keep him for bye week filler Is he even going to play again.This is 32 team no repeat Dynasy league so LBs at premium......Thabks.

#40 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'd call it a fantasy career with Witherspoon. Even with Ruud out late in the year, he didn't do much of anything. I can't see starting him in FF again. It's a little hard for me to bend my thinking to 32 team leagues, but even in that format he seems done.

#41 rlwomack

rlwomack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 25-November 08

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

This is my first dynasty offseason. I've got to cut a few players on my dynasty idp roster by the end of this week. I've posted similar post on The Assistant Coach board for the IOPs.

I wanted to get some feedback on the following players:

Austin, Marvin NYG DT ® (I)
Casey, Jurrell TEN DT ®
Devito, Mike NYJ DE
Liuget, Corey SDC DE ®
Farrior, James PIT LB
Gaither, Omar CAR LB
Mays, Joe DEN LB
Shanle, Scott NOS LB
Siler, Brandon KCC LB (I)
King, Justin STL CB
Winfield, Antoine MIN CB (I)

How would you rank them for the cut list? Do you see other IDPs that might be worth cutting over any of these?
Any advise or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lineup: 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 2DL, 4 LB, 3 DB, 1 DL/LB/DB (20 starters)
Scoring: 6 pt TDs, 0.25 pts/rush attempt, 0.05pts/pass yd, 0.10pts/1rush/rec yd, 1 PPR, 2 pt/tkl, 1 pt/asst, 2 pt/safety, 4 pt/int, 3 pt/FF, 3 pt/sacks

Roster
Dalton, Andy CIN QB ®
Garrard, David FA QB
Manning, Eli NYG QB
Schaub, Matt HOU QB (I)
Forsett, Justin SEA RB
Forte, Matt CHI RB (I)
Hunter, Kendall SFO RB ®
Jennings, Rashad JAC RB (I)
Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB
Starks, James GBP RB
Tolbert, Mike SDC RB
Tomlinson, LaDainian NYJ RB
Woodhead, Danny NEP RB
Burleson, Nate DET WR
Clayton, Mark STL WR (I)
Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR
Nelson, Jordy GBP WR
Simpson, Jerome CIN WR
Wayne, Reggie IND WR
Williams, Mike TBB WR
Boss, Kevin OAK TE
Gates, Antonio SDC TE
Keller, Dustin NYJ TE
McMichael, Randy SDC TE
Barth, Connor TBB PK
Carpenter, Dan MIA PK
Hanson, Jason DET PK
Austin, Marvin NYG DT ® (I)
Casey, Jurrell TEN DT ®
Avril, Cliff DET DE
Devito, Mike NYJ DE
Liuget, Corey SDC DE ®
Mathis, Robert IND DE
Suggs, Terrell BAL DE
Boley, Michael NYG LB
Farrior, James PIT LB
Gaither, Omar CAR LB
Henderson, E.J. MIN LB
Johnson, Derrick KCC LB
Mays, Joe DEN LB
Shanle, Scott NOS LB
Siler, Brandon KCC LB (I)
Ware, Demarcus DAL LB
King, Justin STL CB
McCourty, Devin NEP CB
McCourty, Jason TEN CB
Winfield, Antoine MIN CB (I)
Chung, Patrick NEP S (Q)
Godfrey, Charles CAR S
Jones, Sean TBB S
Rolle, Antrel NYG S

Edited by rlwomack, 14 June 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#42 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'll be back for that one - a lot to think about, and I don't have a ton of time this evening.

#43 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Austin, Marvin NYG DT ® (I) Casey, Jurrell TEN DT ® Devito, Mike NYJ DE Liuget, Corey SDC DE ® Farrior, James PIT LB Gaither, Omar CAR LB Mays, Joe DEN LB Shanle, Scott NOS LB Siler, Brandon KCC LB (I) King, Justin STL CB Winfield, Antoine MIN CB (I) How would you rank them for the cut list? Austin, Marvin NYG DT ® (I) Casey, Jurrell TEN DT ® Avril, Cliff DET DE Devito, Mike NYJ DE Liuget, Corey SDC DE ® Mathis, Robert IND DE Suggs, Terrell BAL DE Boley, Michael NYG LB Farrior, James PIT LB Gaither, Omar CAR LB Henderson, E.J. MIN LB Johnson, Derrick KCC LB Mays, Joe DEN LB Shanle, Scott NOS LB Siler, Brandon KCC LB (I) Ware, Demarcus DAL LB King, Justin STL CB McCourty, Devin NEP CB McCourty, Jason TEN CB Winfield, Antoine MIN CB (I) Chung, Patrick NEP S (Q) Godfrey, Charles CAR S Jones, Sean TBB S Rolle, Antrel NYG S

That's a tackle-heavy scoring system, with a 2/3 tackle/big play ratio. It makes 3-4 OLBs, non-T2 CBs, and Dwight Freeneys pretty close to useless. The problem is, your roster digs deeper than I really know IDPs. I'd hold on to Farrior, Mays, Siler, and Winfield. The rest seem expendable to me, but I don't really know enough about all of them. I'll try a ranking. Siler Farrior Mays Winfield Shanle Gaither Those are the guys I know well enough to rank... sorry I can't go deeper.

#44 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

I just saw that Farrior got cut - bump him down to the bottom of that group, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised to see them resign him at a lower cost, but I also wouldn't bank on it.

#45 bro1ncos

bro1ncos

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 2,314 posts
  • Joined 26-June 05

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

Just completed two trades in a 48 man IDP Dynasty PPR League. My main objective was to improve my defensive depth and starters. I moved: Shane Vereen Stevan Ridley Matt Flynn Jaquizz Rodgers Lance Ball I received: Navarro Bowman Rolando McClain Brandon Flowers Jay Cutler 2012 6.02 2012 4.11 Before this my LB consisted of Urlacher, Mayo and Greenway as starters and Geno Hayes and Brian Rolle as only significant depth. Flowers adds depth to a shallow DB core. I hate trading for CB, but Flowers is young and should be even better with Eric Berry back in the secondary. I still have the following RB McFadden, JStew, MBush, Gerhart, and Jonathan Dwyer. I hated giving up on a lot of prospects at RB, but I was not sold on any of the guys I traded as becoming a quality fantasy back. Cutler adds more quality depth at QB to go along with ARodgers and Bradford already on my team. I realize this is IDP assistant coach so I am posting here since my primary goal was to improve my IDP. Did I give up too much young RB talent to receive young talent on the defensive side of the ball?

#46 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Just completed two trades in a 48 man IDP Dynasty PPR League. My main objective was to improve my defensive depth and starters. I moved: Shane Vereen Stevan Ridley Matt Flynn Jaquizz Rodgers Lance Ball I received: Navarro Bowman Rolando McClain Brandon Flowers Jay Cutler 2012 6.02 2012 4.11 Before this my LB consisted of Urlacher, Mayo and Greenway as starters and Geno Hayes and Brian Rolle as only significant depth. Flowers adds depth to a shallow DB core. I hate trading for CB, but Flowers is young and should be even better with Eric Berry back in the secondary. I still have the following RB McFadden, JStew, MBush, Gerhart, and Jonathan Dwyer. I hated giving up on a lot of prospects at RB, but I was not sold on any of the guys I traded as becoming a quality fantasy back. Cutler adds more quality depth at QB to go along with ARodgers and Bradford already on my team. I realize this is IDP assistant coach so I am posting here since my primary goal was to improve my IDP. Did I give up too much young RB talent to receive young talent on the defensive side of the ball?

You won the QB exchange, but at a position that isn't very important to your team. I don't really care for Flowers too much in a combined DB pool - he just doesn't seem like anything above what you can get on the waiver wire. He finished as DB35 in Zealots last season while missing no time. Lance Ball is a throw-in - call him a trade for the 6.02. Looking at the RBs and LBs, it's Vereen/Ridley and Rodgers for Bowman, McClain, and 4.11. I don't like the trade - I think your RB depth isn't good enough to trade away all three of these guys, each of which got offseason value bumps with Turner on his last legs and BJGE leaving in free agency. McClain and Bowman are very good LBs to get back, but I just think you gave up too much, even with the bump at second/third string QB.

#47 Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Joined 04-September 11

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Would you do this trade for the WR upgrade. I have Timmons, McCarthy and Carter as my other main LBs. Moore, Denarius OAK WR Sheppard, Kelvin BUF LB Woodyard, Wesley DEN LB Year 2012 Draft Pick 3.01 Year 2012 Draft Pick 4.16 Evil Empire Amendola, Danny STL WR Shipley, Jordan CIN WR Williams, D.J. GBP TE Butler, Donald SDC LB Year 2012 Draft Pick 2.08 Year 2012 Draft Pick 4.08

@Eddy24

#48 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Would you do this trade for the WR upgrade. I have Timmons, McCarthy and Carter as my other main LBs. Moore, Denarius OAK WR Sheppard, Kelvin BUF LB Woodyard, Wesley DEN LB Year 2012 Draft Pick 3.01 Year 2012 Draft Pick 4.16 Evil Empire Amendola, Danny STL WR Shipley, Jordan CIN WR Williams, D.J. GBP TE Butler, Donald SDC LB Year 2012 Draft Pick 2.08 Year 2012 Draft Pick 4.08

Haha - I typed up a response thinking this was DJ Williams the LB from Denver. I'll fix it now. I'm assuming 16 teams, starting 3 LBs, balanced IDP scoring, no PPR. Regarding Moore, I think he's overvalued right now - everyone was hurt last season in Oakland, and I'm not sure where he falls in the pecking order if DHB, Ford, and Murphy are healthy. I know most assume he's the #1 going forward, but I could see him anywhere from 1 to splitting time at 3 with Murphy. Still, this is a good trade. Sheppard is a guy I'm a little higher on than most - I don't see the LB downgrade as that significant. The WRs and Woodyard aren't fantasy starters and look to stay that way. The TE isn't a big deal to me since Finley's back. Dropping 8 spots at the end of the 3rd round isn't a big deal to me. So you're dropping 8 at the end of the 2nd round - worth it for the chance that Moore is what everyone else thinks he is instead of what I think he is.

Edited by Tick, 19 April 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#49 SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 25-August 11

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Tick, Just to pick somebody else's brain, could you rank my LBs in order from best to worst: Desmond Bishop, Jasper Brinkley, David Hawthorne, James Laurinaitis, Curtis Lofton, Colin McCarthy, Brian Orakpo, Perry Riler, Barrett Ruud, and Jacquain Williams. Thanks in advance!!

#50 bro1ncos

bro1ncos

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 2,314 posts
  • Joined 26-June 05

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm not Tick, but I will throw my thoughts out there. Laurinaitis Lofton Hawthorne McCarthy Bishop Riley Orakpo Williams Brinkley Ruud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users