#1 GTBilly

GTBilly

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

I have always wanted to start an official thread and in honor of the fact that I just got a WSM 18.5"(as put in a previous thread)I figured I'd start this one. So I put together the smoker and it looks really cool and like I said I'm a pretty decent Griller but smoking is a completely new ball game to me. I've gone into info overload on the net the past few days hitting up the weber site, grillin fools and I tried to make it through last years grillin thread but that was a long read so I'm still working on that one. So my first official question is how big are the wood chunks that you are putting on the charcoal and how many chunks are you using? I am a Canadian Redneck so I should be able to get the hang of this but it is a tad overwhelming considering I'm used to apx 5 minutes on my Gas Grill for steaks that have ruined going out for steak for me. ETA: So I was at Home Depot and they sell damn near wood shavings that I assume you are supposed to use as smoke wood. What are the differences between chunks and shavings?

Edited by GTBilly, 01 January 2012 - 10:38 AM.

A person can be smart but in general people are stupid.

#2 NewlyRetired

NewlyRetired

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,141 posts
  • Joined 22-July 10

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I have always wanted to start an official thread and in honor of the fact that I just got a WSM 18.5"(as put in a previous thread)I figured I'd start this one. So I put together the smoker and it looks really cool and like I said I'm a pretty decent Griller but smoking is a completely new ball game to me. I've gone into info overload on the net the past few days hitting up the weber site, grillin fools and I tried to make it through last years grillin thread but that was a long read so I'm still working on that one. So my first official question is how big are the wood chunks that you are putting on the charcoal and how many chunks are you using? I am a Canadian Redneck so I should be able to get the hang of this but it is a tad overwhelming considering I'm used to apx 5 minutes on my Gas Grill for steaks that have ruined going out for steak for me. ETA: So I was at Home Depot and they sell damn near wood shavings that I assume you are supposed to use as smoke wood. What are the differences between chunks and shavings?

Chips will burn quickly and release there smoke quickly. Should only be used in short cooks. Chunks will provide smoke for a much longer time period. Chunks come in various sizes, typically around a 2-3 inch size.

#3 NewlyRetired

NewlyRetired

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,141 posts
  • Joined 22-July 10

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Question for people who glaze. Should I only glaze over direct heat or can it be done while still in the smoker? Will be firing up my egg today and smoking two pork tenderloins over plum wood. The tenderloins are happily swimming in a sweet vinegar marinade right now. Will add a rub to them before putting in smoker.

#4 NewlyRetired

NewlyRetired

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,141 posts
  • Joined 22-July 10

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

I probably won't eat both tenderloins today. Should I cut the second one or leave it whole before it is stored in fridge? Will probably use it for either chili or maybe pork sandwiches during the week?

#5 [icon]

[icon]

Insoxicated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68,844 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:X|O|O
    --------
    O|X|X
    --------
    X|O|O

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

The Fanatic is gonna be pissssssed

Shortchanging Disabled Veterans
Wounded Warrior Project - only 65-80 cents/dollar sees intended recipients 

Our Troops in the Middle East have done the math.... the answer is clear. 

#6 Mad Cow

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,216 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:FF, Running, family, The Buckeyes!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Amazon has some good deals on wood chunks. I get pecan, apple, cherry and hickory there. I did brisket and a fatty today. Turned out great.
Want Sunglasses? Get the FBG Discount here

Now carrying Smith Sunglasses, along with Maui Jim and others.

Ohio State is the best team in the country.

Yes, I do play with Barbies

#7 GTBilly

GTBilly

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Pretty sure I'm going to venture out to get a chimney starter and a decent thermometer tomorrow prepping for the first smoke ever. I feel the need to SMOKE SOMETHING.

#8 Mad Cow

Mad Cow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,216 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Pretty sure I'm going to venture out to get a chimney starter and a decent thermometer tomorrow prepping for the first smoke ever. I feel the need to SMOKE SOMETHING.

Those are 2 essential items to have. Get a variety of meats and try them in combinations and with different meats to see the effects.

#9 Grahamburn

Grahamburn

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,311 posts
  • Joined 15-August 07

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

He's going to hate this more than Reggie Bush having a breakout season. Don't waste your time with those smallish wood chips in your smoker. Pick up some apple or pecan chunk that are about the size of a small fist. I usually go with 4-5 if I'm doing ribs and 6-7 if I'm doing a longer smoke. Tinker with rubs, injections, different cuts of meat, recipes, etc. That's where the fun is at. I'm determined to do my first brisket this year. I can't find a nice packer where I live though. We only get the flats at our local Sam's club. I've heard it's much more difficult to keep the flats moist. Any thoughts or methods on how to keep them from drying out? I'll probably just take my own advice, bite the bullet, and see what I can come up with. A nice rub, injection, and foiling at the tail end of the cook should keep the meat fairly moist.
Never. Ever. Bench Calvin Johnson. Ever.

#10 Mad Cow

Mad Cow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,216 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

He's going to hate this more than Reggie Bush having a breakout season. Don't waste your time with those smallish wood chips in your smoker. Pick up some apple or pecan chunk that are about the size of a small fist. I usually go with 4-5 if I'm doing ribs and 6-7 if I'm doing a longer smoke. Tinker with rubs, injections, different cuts of meat, recipes, etc. That's where the fun is at. I'm determined to do my first brisket this year. I can't find a nice packer where I live though. We only get the flats at our local Sam's club. I've heard it's much more difficult to keep the flats moist. Any thoughts or methods on how to keep them from drying out? I'll probably just take my own advice, bite the bullet, and see what I can come up with. A nice rub, injection, and foiling at the tail end of the cook should keep the meat fairly moist.

Just yesterday, I did something different with a brisket. Instead of having the brisket on the grill, I put it in an aluminum pan during the smoking. Still got plenty of smoke, but holy cow, it was so much more moist. I will do that everytime now.

#11 Grahamburn

Grahamburn

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,311 posts
  • Joined 15-August 07

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

:thumbup:
Never. Ever. Bench Calvin Johnson. Ever.

#12 [icon]

[icon]

Insoxicated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68,844 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
    --------
    O|X|X
    --------
    X|O|O

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

LULZ :lmao:

#13 GTBilly

GTBilly

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

I saw that as well and laughed. I hope he really doesn't take it personally because I'm counting on his advice and participation. I might have been waaaay to excited getting the damn thing and jumped the gun. I also didn't get the chimney started or thermometer because the specialty store was closed yesterday and I'm not sure about the one at HD.

Are all chimney starters the same? I wanted the Weber one but HD has a Grillpro that looks the same.

#14 NewlyRetired

NewlyRetired

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,141 posts
  • Joined 22-July 10

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

I saw that as well and laughed. I hope he really doesn't take it personally because I'm counting on his advice and participation. I might have been waaaay to excited getting the damn thing and jumped the gun.

I don't get what the big deal is. Who cares who started the thread?

#15 NewlyRetired

NewlyRetired

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,141 posts
  • Joined 22-July 10

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

I saw that as well and laughed. I hope he really doesn't take it personally because I'm counting on his advice and participation. I might have been waaaay to excited getting the damn thing and jumped the gun.

TheFanatic assuredly does. More than anything.

But he didn't even start he last one did he? What am I missing here?

#16 GTBilly

GTBilly

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Explain how to use thermometers to me like I know nothing. Doesn't the heat melt the wires. I could use the weber site but I'll ask here.

#17 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,873 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

I saw that as well and laughed. I hope he really doesn't take it personally because I'm counting on his advice and participation. I might have been waaaay to excited getting the damn thing and jumped the gun. I also didn't get the chimney started or thermometer because the specialty store was closed yesterday and I'm not sure about the one at HD.

Are all chimney starters the same? I wanted the Weber one but HD has a Grillpro that looks the same.

The Weber one is MUCH better. I had the "cheap" one for years, but one thing I noticed was that the Weber one held more charcoal. So, I picked one up about a year ago. Not only does it hold more, but it lights quicker. I believe it is because of the holes in the side of the chimney allow more airflow in. Because of this, I drilled holes in my other one. But I still use the Weber one most of the time.
Way to often, people confuse stupidity for collusion. -- JuniorNB

I never said I wouldn't ride my rickshaw up her Ho Chi Minh Trail. -- RudiStein

#18 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,873 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Explain how to use thermometers to me like I know nothing. Doesn't the heat melt the wires. I could use the weber site but I'll ask here.

The wires have an insulated coating on them that is heat resistant. However, do NOT run them under your lid. They will crimp/kink/break this way. It's better to go in through the top vent, or make your own holes in your WSM. Making probe holes is on my list this year for mods to my WSM (along with putting handles on the middle section).

#19 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,873 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Bring this over from the "other" thread.

I didn't care if it was mid-30s and windy yesterday ... I smoked some ribs. I absolutely love my WSM for this. Used the side of my house and my city issued trash can to block the wind a bit. Had to close the bottom dampers a bit more than usual, but I kept her rolling at 250*

#20 GTBilly

GTBilly

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

The wires have an insulated coating on them that is heat resistant. However, do NOT run them under your lid. They will crimp/kink/break this way. It's better to go in through the top vent, or make your own holes in your WSM. Making probe holes is on my list this year for mods to my WSM (along with putting handles on the middle section).

That makes so much sense and alas I feel really stupid for not thinking that way. Will any handles do or are you going to go with the Weber Handles because apparently that is an almost must have mod?

#21 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,873 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

That makes so much sense and alas I feel really stupid for not thinking that way. Will any handles do or are you going to go with the Weber Handles because apparently that is an almost must have mod?

Not sure yet. Gonna do some browsing on the web and see how much Weber handles cost and compare the cost to what I would get just popping in to Home Depot.

#22 [icon]

[icon]

Insoxicated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68,844 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
    --------
    O|X|X
    --------
    X|O|O

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Check the thickness of the steel and, more importantly, the size. For a smoker I really like having a huge chimney to get a good amount of coals going (when I need a hot fire).

#23 [icon]

[icon]

Insoxicated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68,844 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
    --------
    O|X|X
    --------
    X|O|O

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

Bring this over from the "other" thread.

I didn't care if it was mid-30s and windy yesterday ... I smoked some ribs. I absolutely love my WSM for this. Used the side of my house and my city issued trash can to block the wind a bit. Had to close the bottom dampers a bit more than usual, but I kept her rolling at 250*

:thumbup: The WSM is a finely engineered little smoker. Thing just chugs along at consistent as hell temps.

#24 Megla

Megla

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Joined 03-March 06

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

:thumbup:

#25 TheFanatic

TheFanatic

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,157 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

I probably won't eat both tenderloins today. Should I cut the second one or leave it whole before it is stored in fridge? Will probably use it for either chili or maybe pork sandwiches during the week?

I make mean sammies with mine. I leave them whole. I toast some bread under the broiler while slicing the meat about half inch thick slices. Then pull the bread out and cover one half the hoagie roll with slices of meat and back under the broiler. when it's warmed, I throw cheese on top and back under the broiler. While that is baking, I add some mayo (choose your condiment here) to the other half of the hoagie roll. When the cheese is browned a little (not just melted), I change the oven over to bake, put the top hoagie roll on, and bake for a few minutes to make sure the whole thing is warm... Craving that now.... Crap... I actually make tenderloins and throw them straight into the fridge without sampling at all just for sammies.
No matter what time of year it is, I am a grillin fool...

Check out my grillin blog.

GrillinFools.com Face Book page

#26 TheFanatic

TheFanatic

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,157 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

TheFanatic assuredly does. More than anything.

But he didn't even start he last one did he? What am I missing here?

I started the 2009 one and maybe 2008. Not sure before that. I usually rode the one from the year before until it warmed up. I'm actually pretty happy to see people so eager to start despite it not being "peak season" for BBQ. It's not like I'm not going to contribute because someone else started the thread. I'd say I was fairly active last year.

#27 TheFanatic

TheFanatic

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,157 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

The Weber one is MUCH better. I had the "cheap" one for years, but one thing I noticed was that the Weber one held more charcoal. So, I picked one up about a year ago. Not only does it hold more, but it lights quicker. I believe it is because of the holes in the side of the chimney allow more airflow in. Because of this, I drilled holes in my other one. But I still use the Weber one most of the time.

As much as weber pisses me off, their starter is the best. I had one of the cheapies for many years. It needed holes drilled in the side, which is a huge PITA. It didn't get enough air flow and took longer (if it stayed lit) to start a smaller amount of coals...

I saw that Raichlen has one too. It's square, but I haven't used it yet.

ETA, always put it away after using it, no matter which one you buy. Even the cheapies will last years if stored out of the elements. Leave them outside and you will only get a couple years out of them and the last thing you want is the top of the handle to tear free as you pick it up to dump the coals. Trying to dump them with tongs (because the handle is gone) is comedy at best and tragedy at worst...

Edited by TheFanatic, 05 January 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#28 GTBilly

GTBilly

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

Excellent TheFanatic has made an appearance. Going out now to get the Weber Chimney, Maverick T732(think that's the number but it's the popular thermometer)a bag of charcoal and some wood and whatever piece of meat catches my eye at the store. In other words THERE WILL BE SMOKE THIS WEEKEND(it's funny if you read the caps in Inigio Montoya's voice).

#29 TheFanatic

TheFanatic

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,157 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Weather's always nice here so it's BBQ season all year long :thumbup:

Got the urge to do some grilling after work yesterday. Came home from work and just had to fire something up. I have one of those little habachi things from the supermarket on my patio. Filled it with some charcoal out of that big bag that's been sitting there all last year and a good amount of lighter fluid and damn did that thing ignite with a soul-satisfying "WHOOSH!" Pulled some nice red steaks out of the freezer--not sure what cut, they were the "manager's special" in the meat section a couple of weeks ago, can't go wrong for $3.99. Let them thaw for 15 minutes or so while the habachi warmed up and started to work on my seasonings. I took a paper plate and poured out some salt, pepper, season-all, onion salt, and some Baco's and mixed them up good, then flopped the meat on the plate to apply it. One of the steaks was a little big so I took the scissors from the knife block and trimmed it up real nice.

Threw the steaks on the grill and let 'em go. Felt nice to be out under the sun in January living it up. Got my BBQ tool set out from the drawer, got that big ol' fork out, stabbed those steaks and just kept flipping them so they charred nice and even. Crusted up nice but were still a delicious pink-grey on the inside. Sprinkled the remainder of the seasonings on them near the end, enough so you could still taste then onion salt's bite under the ketchup later. Sat down to eat, cracked a Bud Light, felt great.

Dinner of a real man. :thumbup: :moneybag:

:fishing:

You laid the bait on a little thick, sorta like the baco's

#30 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,808 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03
  • Interests:Bottom

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'm right on the fence between getting a Primo Jr and BGE L. I'll be making my final decision on this in a matter of month. I'm leaning Primo because of cooking space/dollar cost.

#31 TheFanatic

TheFanatic

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,157 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Excellent TheFanatic has made an appearance. Going out now to get the Weber Chimney, Maverick T732(think that's the number but it's the popular thermometer)a bag of charcoal and some wood and whatever piece of meat catches my eye at the store. In other words THERE WILL BE SMOKE THIS WEEKEND(it's funny if you read the caps in Inigio Montoya's voice).

Nice Princess Bride reference. First smoke, go pork butt/pork shoulder (same thing). Very forgiving piece of meat and a long smoke, even if you go high heat and do it at say 300 it will still take at least 4-5 hours. Lots of tasty fat in there to keep it moist even if you over cook. If you under cook, it won't pull well, but you can still chop if and it will be tasty and require a little more practice which entails more beer and more smokin'. Good luck and let us know how it goes...

#32 NewlyRetired

NewlyRetired

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,141 posts
  • Joined 22-July 10

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I'm right on the fence between getting a Primo Jr and BGE L. I'll be making my final decision on this in a matter of month. I'm leaning Primo because of cooking space/dollar cost.

The Primo's look very nice. If you buy one let us know how it works out for you.

#33 TheFanatic

TheFanatic

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,157 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

If you're checking those two, check the Bubba Keg too. Has a neat tailgate attachment. I haven't cooked on one, but saw one recently and it looked pretty sweet....

#34 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,808 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

The Primo's look very nice. If you buy one let us know how it works out for you.

I haven't actually gone to see them in the same shop. I want to get a better understanding of how stuff moves around in the chamber and other factors. I know there are really slick DIY build in plans for BGE. There aren't that many for Primo and I want to eventually do a build in with a sink and keg.

#35 adonis

adonis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,774 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

I was told by a handy relative who also has a WSM 18.5, that drilling holes in side to run a probe in would lead to rust.

#36 NewlyRetired

NewlyRetired

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,141 posts
  • Joined 22-July 10

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

I haven't actually gone to see them in the same shop. I want to get a better understanding of how stuff moves around in the chamber and other factors. I know there are really slick DIY build in plans for BGE. There aren't that many for Primo and I want to eventually do a build in with a sink and keg.

The BGE community is fantastic for that sort of thing. Try and find a Primo forum, some members might be willing to share plans. You might also be able to adjust a BGE project to fit the primo. Good luck!

#37 adonis

adonis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,774 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

And BTW, IN. Recently got a WSM 18.5" and have tried smoking various things. 1 brisket (fail - due to buying a brisket flat rather than whole brisket, and then trimming off all the fat. Came out like an overdone steak with no taste :( ) 1 boston butt - pretty damned tasty, used recipe on VWB's site, renowned mr. brown, but it took me forever to cook the damned thing, I guess because it had a bone and I kept measuring temp in areas closer to the bone, and i'll be smoking ribs for the 3rd time total this weekend, and they have to be the easiest to do seemingly. Baby back ribs from sams, sprinkle with rub from the BRITU recipe from VWB site and smoke. Also seems to take longer to do. Question: I'm using one of the dual probe maverick thermometers, and when I'm smoking, I put the one on the grate and use that for my main temp reading. HOwever, the temp it gives me there, and the temp in the lid, seem to be off, sometimes by as much as 20 degrees or so, although at other times they're closer to the same. The problem comes in when the recipes I follow have their times set based on the temp from the thermometer in the lid, vs mine at the grate surface. Should I simply be monitoring the grill surface temp, but using the lid thermometer as a guide, or should I run the grate surface hotter than 225-250 if the lid thermometer still isn't registering 225 yet. (Usually the lid registers temps UNDER that of the grate, by at least 10 degrees F).

#38 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,808 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

And BTW, IN. Recently got a WSM 18.5" and have tried smoking various things. 1 brisket (fail - due to buying a brisket flat rather than whole brisket, and then trimming off all the fat. Came out like an overdone steak with no taste :( ) 1 boston butt - pretty damned tasty, used recipe on VWB's site, renowned mr. brown, but it took me forever to cook the damned thing, I guess because it had a bone and I kept measuring temp in areas closer to the bone, and i'll be smoking ribs for the 3rd time total this weekend, and they have to be the easiest to do seemingly. Baby back ribs from sams, sprinkle with rub from the BRITU recipe from VWB site and smoke. Also seems to take longer to do. Question: I'm using one of the dual probe maverick thermometers, and when I'm smoking, I put the one on the grate and use that for my main temp reading. HOwever, the temp it gives me there, and the temp in the lid, seem to be off, sometimes by as much as 20 degrees or so, although at other times they're closer to the same. The problem comes in when the recipes I follow have their times set based on the temp from the thermometer in the lid, vs mine at the grate surface. Should I simply be monitoring the grill surface temp, but using the lid thermometer as a guide, or should I run the grate surface hotter than 225-250 if the lid thermometer still isn't registering 225 yet. (Usually the lid registers temps UNDER that of the grate, by at least 10 degrees F).

i run my wires for my maverick through the hole where the lid thermometer goes. I use the lid thermometer to keep bugs out between cooking.

#39 Megla

Megla

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Joined 03-March 06

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

I was told by a handy relative who also has a WSM 18.5, that drilling holes in side to run a probe in would lead to rust.

http://www.fredsmusi...00-2001-116.htm

#40 Megla

Megla

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Joined 03-March 06

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

You should only be using the chamber temp as a guide, get away from using it as anything else but a range and get yourself a thermopen and use internal temps, much more reliable.

#41 The Hank

The Hank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,351 posts
  • Joined 03-September 05

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Going to be making some burgers tonight :thumbup:
Become one of my loyal followers: Follow me @DGoverner for more random status alerts that mean nothing to you than YOU can handle!

In the shower this morning, I was wondering to myself what DHB's situation was

#42 adonis

adonis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,774 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Those seem pretty small. Can one fit a maverick probe through there, or the wire + connector?

#43 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,873 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

It is unusually warm here in St Louis today. Although I never let the cold distract me from grilling or smoking, gonna HAVE to grill something tonight.

#44 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,873 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Weather's always nice here so it's BBQ season all year long :thumbup:

Got the urge to do some grilling after work yesterday. Came home from work and just had to fire something up. I have one of those little habachi things from the supermarket on my patio. Filled it with some charcoal out of that big bag that's been sitting there all last year and a good amount of lighter fluid and damn did that thing ignite with a soul-satisfying "WHOOSH!" Pulled some nice red steaks out of the freezer--not sure what cut, they were the "manager's special" in the meat section a couple of weeks ago, can't go wrong for $3.99. Let them thaw for 15 minutes or so while the habachi warmed up and started to work on my seasonings. I took a paper plate and poured out some salt, pepper, season-all, onion salt, and some Baco's and mixed them up good, then flopped the meat on the plate to apply it. One of the steaks was a little big so I took the scissors from the knife block and trimmed it up real nice.

Threw the steaks on the grill and let 'em go. Felt nice to be out under the sun in January living it up. Got my BBQ tool set out from the drawer, got that big ol' fork out, stabbed those steaks and just kept flipping them so they charred nice and even. Crusted up nice but were still a delicious pink-grey on the inside. Sprinkled the remainder of the seasonings on them near the end, enough so you could still taste then onion salt's bite under the ketchup later. Sat down to eat, cracked a Bud Light, felt great.

Dinner of a real man. :thumbup: :moneybag:

:fishing:

You laid the bait on a little thick, sorta like the baco's

:yes:

#45 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,873 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

You don't just drill a hole and do nothing. You put something in the hole. Lots of do-it-yourself ideas out there, but the one I saw that I likely will do had some sort of threaded tube (I think for a lamp) that was cut down to a short length and then a nut screwed on from the inside and the outside. There are things you can buy that are made for this, but from some of the things I've seen this is not necessary.

#46 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,873 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Yeah, these are the ones I've seen to purchase.

This is more like what I am talking about.

#47 Megla

Megla

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Joined 03-March 06

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Those seem pretty small. Can one fit a maverick probe through there, or the wire + connector?

yes and yes

#48 adonis

adonis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,774 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

You don't just drill a hole and do nothing. You put something in the hole. Lots of do-it-yourself ideas out there, but the one I saw that I likely will do had some sort of threaded tube (I think for a lamp) that was cut down to a short length and then a nut screwed on from the inside and the outside. There are things you can buy that are made for this, but from some of the things I've seen this is not necessary.

Right, he went to VWB site and saw the lamp screw mod, and still said it would rust because water/humid air would still get in there unless there was some kind of paint involved to re-seal it. Honestly, I'd just be afraid to crack the side since I'm not that handy with the drill.

#49 adonis

adonis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,774 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

yes and yes

Sweet, thanks. Gonna order it.

#50 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,873 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

You don't just drill a hole and do nothing. You put something in the hole. Lots of do-it-yourself ideas out there, but the one I saw that I likely will do had some sort of threaded tube (I think for a lamp) that was cut down to a short length and then a nut screwed on from the inside and the outside.

There are things you can buy that are made for this, but from some of the things I've seen this is not necessary.

Right, he went to VWB site and saw the lamp screw mod, and still said it would rust because water/humid air would still get in there unless there was some kind of paint involved to re-seal it.

Honestly, I'd just be afraid to crack the side since I'm not that handy with the drill.

Drill through masking tape or painters tape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users