What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2012 Official Philadelphia Eagles Post Mortem Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Insein

Footballguy
Didn't see a 2012 thread yet and with Lurie speaking today, figured it'd be a good time to start one.

As much as we want to hear drastic changes are going to take place and the coaching staff will be swept away to try something new, I fully expect Andy to be back and probably even Castillo. It'll be written off as a lockout year that they didn't have time to gel for. Whatever.

Lets take a look at what they need to address. Not much different from last year.

[*]Need a playmaking LB especially if they are going to keep the wide 9.

[*]Need to see if Jaquan Jarret can play and if not find an answer for SS.

[*]Need to see if they can move Asante because he'll be a problem all year.

[*]Need to decide what we're doing with Desean.

Plenty more minor issues but these seem to be the big ones. Going to be another long off season ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much to many Eagles' fans dismay, I doubt Lurie announces anything re: Reid today. I see this presser as a way for Lurie to acknowledge that the season didn't go as planned, but that Andy is still the leader of this franchise and has his support. I also don't think Lurie will SPECIFICALLY announce any other changes, but will allude to there being changes looming. I would love to see Andy demote Castillo (I can't see him firing him outright), but who knows if we'll get that wish.

As to personnel? We can be reasonably sure that Steve Smith, Vince Young and Ronnie Brown are one and dones. I agree with Insein that Asante needs to go, although I suspect Eagles fans will cry in effigy over the meager return we get for him. I just don't see teams opening up the coffers for a guy of Samuel's age, contract and knowing that we're dumping him because of personality/ego conflicts.

DJax needs to go. There, I said it.

Reid stays. Juan probably stays but is demoted. I think they make a run at Spags for DC if he doesn't try for another HC job somewhere.

If they get a 4th rd pick for Samuels i'll be happy with that. I hope they draft a Luke Kuechy or a difference making LB with their 1st pick (that probably won't happen though). Not sure what will be out there FA wise.

DeSean, I think, is gone. I am OK with that too. They still have pretty decent WR depth with Avant, Maclin, Cooper, and Celek. There also is a pretty nice FA WR class this year. I'd love it if they could snag Vincent Jackson.

We saw the potential this team has in the last 4 games. It's possible that they are finally getting it and they could make a SB run next year but who knows what to think anymore.

We saw the potential this team has in the last 4 games. It's possible that they are finally getting it and they could make a SB run next year but who knows what to think anymore.
Matt Moore, Rex Grossman, Mark Sanchez, Stephen McGee.
If they get a 4th rd pick for Samuels i'll be happy with that. I hope they draft a Luke Kuechy or a difference making LB with their 1st pick (that probably won't happen though). Not sure what will be out there FA wise.
This really depends on whether they are keeping the wide 9. If they do, I can't imagine that they think their LBs are good enough.

I think we're making too much of the Wide 9.

If we do make a change at DC, I don't see why Reid wouldn't let them run the scheme they're most comfortable (within the construct of the 4-3).

Matt Moore, Rex Grossman, Mark Sanchez, Stephen McGee.
Both Moore and Sanchez were playing very well at the time. Moore continued to play well after their game. The other two are schlubs but Romo started the Dallas game and got knocked out/benched.

I think we're making too much of the Wide 9.If we do make a change at DC, I don't see why Reid wouldn't let them run the scheme they're most comfortable (within the construct of the 4-3).
The wide nine did make them tops in the league in sacks. They just couldn't maintain gap discipline and/or their linebackers look like 5th graders out there. Either way they need some big LBs with some athletic ability.

I think we're making too much of the Wide 9.If we do make a change at DC, I don't see why Reid wouldn't let them run the scheme they're most comfortable (within the construct of the 4-3).
The wide nine did make them tops in the league in sacks. They just couldn't maintain gap discipline and/or their linebackers look like 5th graders out there. Either way they need some big LBs with some athletic ability.
Make no mistake, I have no problem with the Wide 9. I'm just saying that we're not going to pass up the likes of Steve Spagnuolo or someone else because of a defensive line scheme. Now whether we actually fire Juan (or demote him) is another issue entirely.

I still they have to look for a safety & I would look into back up Oline.

Curious to see if Hermit knows anything going on these past few days

Make no mistake, I have no problem with the Wide 9. I'm just saying that we're not going to pass up the likes of Steve Spagnuolo or someone else because of a defensive line scheme. Now whether we actually fire Juan (or demote him) is another issue entirely.
Gotchya. Maybe Washburn and Spags (or whomever) might be able to come to an understanding with the scheme being ran because it does work for QB pressure. Sprinkle in some blitzing Spags/Johnson style and the defense could be ferocious.

I still they have to look for a safety & I would look into back up Oline.Curious to see if Hermit knows anything going on these past few days
Safety also a big need. Wonder what is out there in FA?
Dashon Goldson gambled on a one-year deal in SF this year and it paid off. I suspect he'll be this year's safety that commands jaw dropping dollars and makes a lot of people wonder why a GM would ever pay that kind of loot for the position. I don't see the Eagles being in that hunt though.

I still they have to look for a safety & I would look into back up Oline.Curious to see if Hermit knows anything going on these past few days
Dashon Goldson gambled on a one-year deal in SF this year and it paid off. I suspect he'll be this year's safety that commands jaw dropping dollars and makes a lot of people wonder why a GM would ever pay that kind of loot for the position. I don't see the Eagles being in that hunt though.
So if the first two (or three) picks for the Eagles isn't LB or Safety we should all scream bloody murder? Sounds about right.

Gotta wait. You know Reid is good for his WTF moments in the draft. He has a tendency to just bypass glaring needs

So if the first two (or three) picks for the Eagles isn't LB or Safety we should all scream bloody murder? Sounds about right.
Maybe the better question is - what injury plagued or otherwise inconsistent LB or S is willing to sign a cheap 1 year deal in Philly to resurrect their career? Beason, Ruud, Leonhard?I doubt the Eagles go against dogma and use their 1st on LB/S. More likely they'll try to replace Samuel or DeSean.

If we do make a change at DC, I don't see why Reid wouldn't let them run the scheme they're most comfortable (within the construct of the 4-3).
I don't know what to think of that issue. They obviously were enamored with Washburn as they put him in place prior to a DC (effectively eliminating options as no one wants to have a partial system in place before they come in). I'd be surprised if Spags would come here with the understanding that Washburn's system remains and conversely, I don't know that Washburn would be willing to throw away the wide 9's (or whatever you call the modification they made at the end of the year-wide 6's?). Very pessimistic about Babin outside of the wide 9's. Getting rid of Asante is not ideal IMO, but a necessary evil I suppose. We will regret the whole DJax debacle if he is not in Eagles green next year. I understand the reasons to bounce him, both from an injury risk and battitude standpoint, however, what he brings to the field and makes defenses account for makes EVERYONE on that offense look better than they are; Celek, Maclin, Vick, McCoy all take steps back if he is not out there next year.

After a season filled with such high expectations and going 8-8 there has to be a firing of some sort and it would look as if it has to be Castillo. My only worry is that it is not immediate and we miss out on a guy like Spags.

I have no clue why we would get rid of Asante

And we NEED a leader somewhere. Typically leaders on a defense are a safety or a LBer and we have neither.

As far as the Wide 9 goes let's look at it this way....Detroit has better personel to do it and even they suck at it...why would we need it or Washburn?

After a season filled with such high expectations and going 8-8 there has to be a firing of some sort and it would look as if it has to be Castillo. My only worry is that it is not immediate and we miss out on a guy like Spags.
To be devil's advocate: Isn't the last 4 games proof that they made it work? They blitzed more (and that is to say they went from no blitzing to some blitzing), it looked more like a typical JJohnson/Eagles defense with some Washburn mixed in, and things worked better. It was against 4 iffy QBs but there are iffy QBs in the NFL and whatever they were doing before was equally ineffective against Skelton, Fitzpatrick, Smith.Spag would be a great hire and think he could fit with Washburn (small fast DL, playing 3 DEs at a time). But I think we've got the same coaching staff coming back because they think they've got this all figured out now.

To be devil's advocate: Isn't the last 4 games proof that they made it work? They blitzed more (and that is to say they went from no blitzing to some blitzing), it looked more like a typical JJohnson/Eagles defense with some Washburn mixed in, and things worked better. It was against 4 iffy QBs but there are iffy QBs in the NFL and whatever they were doing before was equally ineffective against Skelton, Fitzpatrick, Smith.Spag would be a great hire and think he could fit with Washburn (small fast DL, playing 3 DEs at a time). But I think we've got the same coaching staff coming back because they think they've got this all figured out now.
I try to assess the season as a whole as much as possible. It may have looked that good because of the QB's or just maybe what he previously had on tape caught teams off guard so late in the season. This little bit of sucess the D had (much like Vick in an offense like ours) will be figured out and when it is, we'll still be left with the OL coach running the DL coaches system...only for another year. Had we even had a guy as seasoned as Jauron I believe we make the playoffs. Castillo still has a ton to learn-- years to learn IMHO. We need GOOD structure on that side of the ball...not everyone learning as they go.

can't tell where Lurie is gonna go with this....

sounded like he was leading up to dropping reid, but no so much now..

Lurie presser going on now...

Being forthright, calling this most disappointing season of his tenure.

Said he looked at coaching situation from three angles:

*** Overall track record

*** Last 3-4 years

*** Intangibles

Cited a superb track record overall, said that nearer term is also solid relative to other NFC teams, noting they've made playoffs more times than any other NFC team over last five (I think he said five) years

Then went into intangibles and said that is what made the decision an easy one, in spite of the massive disappointment in how the season went.

Said the team continues to practice hard, play hard

Said he spoke to lots of people outside organization and both players and other execs rave about Andy

Said Andy still has the "fire in his belly" and competes and works hard

Said he is sure the players on the roster love and want to play hard for him

In other words...he's keeping Andy.

Lurie presser going on now...Being forthright, calling this most disappointing season of his tenure.Said he looked at coaching situation from three angles:*** Overall track record*** Last 3-4 years*** IntangiblesCited a superb track record overall, said that nearer term is also solid relative to other NFC teams, noting they've made playoffs more times than any other NFC team over last five (I think he said five) yearsThen went into intangibles and said that is what made the decision an easy one, in spite of the massive disappointment in how the season went. Said the team continues to practice hard, play hardSaid he spoke to lots of people outside organization and both players and other execs rave about AndySaid Andy still has the "fire in his belly" and competes and works hardSaid he is sure the players on the roster love and want to play hard for himIn other words...he's keeping Andy.
thats what it sounds like. Wait, he just said it. Reid will coach next year

When asked about whether staff will remain intact, Jeffrey said that's Andy's decision and 100% up to him.

Lurie acknowledged that this was the most disappointing season of Andy's tenure, which made the decision to retain him one that took more careful thought and intense analysis than any prior season.

Eskin :lmao: just asked who's accountable if not Andy? Lurie said everyone in the building is accountable and if he didn't think the team would compete for a Super Bowl next year he would've made a change, and in the unlikely event they're not competing for a title next year, the decision to make a change will be easy.

Lurie noted (and I think he's right) that the Andy the fans and media get is not the guy he's decided to bring back or the guy that his players love or that outside personnel would kill to hire. He said Andy's approach with the press and media is done in a very stoic way that's incredibly protective of his team. Andy chooses to suffer in popularity in order to protect his players, coaches and all those egos.

I don't know what to think of that issue. They obviously were enamored with Washburn as they put him in place prior to a DC (effectively eliminating options as no one wants to have a partial system in place before they come in). I'd be surprised if Spags would come here with the understanding that Washburn's system remains and conversely, I don't know that Washburn would be willing to throw away the wide 9's (or whatever you call the modification they made at the end of the year-wide 6's?). Very pessimistic about Babin outside of the wide 9's. Getting rid of Asante is not ideal IMO, but a necessary evil I suppose. We will regret the whole DJax debacle if he is not in Eagles green next year. I understand the reasons to bounce him, both from an injury risk and battitude standpoint, however, what he brings to the field and makes defenses account for makes EVERYONE on that offense look better than they are; Celek, Maclin, Vick, McCoy all take steps back if he is not out there next year.
I do agree that because of Jackson safety's and corners played deep and off the line of scrimmage. That probably had some to do with how McCoy did this year (although I credit his ability the most). Take the deep threat out and thing may get tougher up around the LOS.

He said anyone that misconstrues Andy's press conferences as arrogance don't understand, and that if anything Andy is too self-critical and goes too far to defer blame with him in one-on-one meetings, versus the alternative. He said Andy has no ego.

He said anyone that misconstrues Andy's press conferences as arrogance don't understand, and that if anything Andy is too self-critical and goes too far to defer blame with him in one-on-one meetings, versus the alternative. He said Andy has no ego.
I call BS.LOL he just said Reid is not afraid of change

Getting tired of the no excuses thing or reid always being held accountable but with no action taken. Luries personal level is far greater with Reid then the business level.

This press conference is nauseating, yet I can't turn it off

Andy Reid has absolutely no arrogance inside of him! Oh boy

And draft analysis is complicated. Which explains a lot

And lurie is still patting himself on the back for signing Vick because he's such a risk taker

This is a venting thread, right?

I cant wrap my head around how Lurie said andy has 100% control on the coaching decisions after the juan disaster

Sooooo.....10-6/ 11-5 next season with a max of one playoff win then a ish load of excuses.

At least we have advanced notice :thumbdown:

You can disagree with Lurie's decision, I'm sure lots of fans do. But I thought he came off as very level headed and rational. Something not many fans can say for themselves.

You can disagree with Lurie's decision, I'm sure lots of fans do. But I thought he came off as very level headed and rational. Something not many fans can say for themselves.
By level headed and rational do you mean full of ish?Knowing Vick, Reid and possible Castillo will be back next year has me at seriously my lowest point as a fan that I can remember.

I don't mind Reid coming back..

But Castillo has to go...

Not sold on Vick, to be honest. I hope we find a QB to groom sooner rather then later...

I loved that he was honest in saying that while they consider fans' opinions, it bears very little weight in the final equation. :thumbup:

To me, keeping Reid around is not horrible. He certainly has his flaws but I still think in many facets he's one of the league's better coaches. However, Castillo needs to at least be demoted and learn to run a defense from lower down the rungs rather than on the job training. They need to bring in a DC who knows what he is doing and is committed for a good 3 year run. Someone like Spags would be in line for another HC job after that (assuming he does well) and hopefully Juan, if he is as good as they say, might be ready to take over a D at that time.

They also need to do better at getting more out of their top picks, especially their defensive ones. Getting guys in the 6th and 7th round that do just a little better than horrible when forced into starting roles is not as good as hitting regularly on your 1st-3rd rounders. Those are the ones you need to become impact players to drive a franchise forward. I'm not sure where in the Pro Personnel or scouting departments (or even up to Roseman or whomever) those faults lie...but an honest assessment needs to be made.

Andy Reid is not rigid or arrogant. Very level headed and rational

There was a stat comparing Rich Kotite's 4 years versus Andy's last 4...I think at the time it was posted there was still a good bit of the year left to play out. I can't find it to see how it ended up.

I loved that he was honest in saying that while they consider fans' opinions, it bears very little weight in the final equation. :thumbup:
I didn't see or hear the news conference but it sounds like it could be sumed up in a few sentences."We didn't have enough time to prepare. The team did great down the stretch. Let's give Andy one more shot at it with mini camps and OTAs to get everyone in sync."I guess I have no choice but to buy it but Reid is getting very stale on me.

I'll give you the first part. His level-headed responses bear little on his poor decision. I could feel his hesitancy in speaking his decision regarding Reid. Started with a bunch of bluster, outlining how disappointing and UNACCEPTABLE this season has been and then spent the next 15 minutes recounting and lauding previous, old and inconsequential successes Reid has had, on his way to finally announcing that Reid will be back. bah.

I'll give you the first part. His level-headed responses bear little on his poor decision. I could feel his hesitancy in speaking his decision regarding Reid. Started with a bunch of bluster, outlining how disappointing and UNACCEPTABLE this season has been and then spent the next 15 minutes recounting and lauding previous, old and inconsequential successes Reid has had, on his way to finally announcing that Reid will be back. bah.
If this season was "unacceptable" according to Lurie, how do you go into next season with the same coaching staff? According to his boy Banner, "The definition of insanity is..."

If this season was "unacceptable" according to Lurie, how do you go into next season with the same coaching staff? According to his boy Banner, "The definition of insanity is..."
He noted the history of non-playoff and low seed wild card teams winning big, and/or Super Bowls in the following year

'unckeyherb said:
my thoughts exactly.
He noted the history of non-playoff and low seed wild card teams winning big, and/or Super Bowls in the following year
That doesn't seem like a rational thought process to me. Because some lowly teams have turned it around is not a reason to keep this regime intact. IMO.

This means what?I'll note every other year (the vast majority) when this doesn't happenIt's like with ground meat, 90% lean meat sounds so much better than 10% fat

Users who are viewing this thread