What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread*** (1 Viewer)

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
Well, no time like the present to start this thread. Will have a more detail post after some mourning of the last season. Still plenty to be excited about.

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
spitballing...

FA RB - MBush? Hillis?

FA MLB - not sure who fits

1st rd safety

1st rd OG

2nd rd CB

Or we could somehow land Trent Richardson and address one of the others via FA instead.

Congrats on a great comeback season guys, hell everything Mike Brown touched for you guys turned to gold this year!

Hopefully we're right behind ya.

Benson seems to have lost a step.

Seeing as how I doubt Richardson is there. Thoughts on Lamar Miller from UM?

I think he would add a needed dimension to their offense

benson never had a step.

was quite disappointed in bernard as he finally started to get more work but was unimpressive. still showed flashes, great run vs the ravens.

and yes, losing gruden would be horrible. all of those obv 4th down situations that the bengals went for were bc of gruden.

Need corners. Leon hall will be back, but coming off an achilles, gives me cause for concern.

Would love to snag a stud mlb.

'cvnpoka said:
seems too early to give up maualuga
Maybe you're right. I have no idea what to think with him anymore. All I know is we cannot have another year of horrendous MLB in this division. I guess I can trust the coaches to decide if Rey is capable of that or not. He is a hard worker and I would rather not see him cast away, but he obviously didnt pan out in the middle this year. Maybe move him back outside.

Good breakdown of our impending free agents (the important ones anyway) heading into the off-season by the folks at cincyjungle:

Linky

Fairly long list - heck we might need to draft a guard with the first two picks :unsure:

-QG

i just hope they don't do something stupid like trading up to get Richardson. this team is far from complete and can use all the high round picks they can get.

i'd like to see them take a Safety, OG, or CB unless someone really talented at another position drops.

i think in the 2nd they can get a good RB.

a bigger issue could be the possibilility of losing Gruden AND Zimmer.

i just hope they don't do something stupid like trading up to get Richardson. this team is far from complete and can use all the high round picks they can get.i'd like to see them take a Safety, OG, or CB unless someone really talented at another position drops.i think in the 2nd they can get a good RB.a bigger issue could be the possibilility of losing Gruden AND Zimmer.
They seldom, if ever trade up (the philosophy is to let the draft come to them). Given that the higher picks are now more valuable (since the contracts are reasonable) it's that much less likely IMO that they would move up to get Richardson. In fact I'd be shocked.I'm 100% :scared: that they'll lose both Gruden and Zimmer. Has anyone's coaching stock risen faster than Gruden's btw? Lots of people were sketchy on his hire when it happened (I thought it was a good hire).-QG

'cvnpoka said:
seems too early to give up maualuga
I think it's pretty clear now that he's not suited to man the middle, and perhaps not starter quality at any LB position on this defense.

Good breakdown of our impending free agents (the important ones anyway) heading into the off-season by the folks at cincyjungle:

Linky

Fairly long list - heck we might need to draft a guard with the first two picks :unsure:

-QG
Good link :thumbup: I like the mentions of Sims and Collins. I've always liked these two guys and felt they were underappreciated. Sims going down seemed to really soften up the defensive line and hurt that rotation that was so effective ealry in the season. And lets hope we never have to see Livings in a Bengals uni ever again. Just seeing his name in type makes me want to punch something.

i think lawson and fanene and rucker should be priorities. would like to see sims, bjohnson, collins and nelson back as well. and even pacman.

regardless, this team will take a huge hit if they lose the coordinators.

Hold on to Zimmer. Let Marvin coach another season, move him to GM where he will never again have the ability to throw a challenge flag. Move Zimmer to HC, Gruden Assistant Head/ OC, Profit.

Hold on to Zimmer. Let Marvin coach another season, move him to GM where he will never again have the ability to throw a challenge flag. Move Zimmer to HC, Gruden Assistant Head/ OC, Profit.
We sure about this? Has Jerry Jones ever tested this one? ;) -QG

They are even having a good laugh with this on NFL.com

Easiest. Interview. Ever.

Just months after Hue Jackson shipped Cincy a pair of high-octane draft picks for Carson Palmer, the ex-Raiders coach was hired back as a Bengals assistant on Friday

Naturally, Hue Jackson lands on his feet in Cincy

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Published: Feb. 17, 2012 at 04:18 p.m.

Updated: Feb. 17, 2012 at 04:47 p.m.

We couldn't help but laugh when the press release rolled in.

The Bengals announced the hiring of Hue Jackson on Friday as a defensive backs and special teams assistant, bringing the ex-Raiders coach home to the team he spent three seasons with from 2004 to 2006.

It is also the team he heaped precious gems upon this season when he pulled the trigger on a deal to bring disgruntled Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer to Oakland. In return, Cincy scored a first-round pick in this year's draft and a second-round selection in 2013, which could bump up to a first if the Raiders make the AFC title game next season.

Thanks, Hue, and welcome to the easiest job interview on earth.

Bengals: "So, Hue -- and thank you for the picks, by the way -- what can you do for the Cincinnati Bengals?"

Hue (in his best Stanley from "The Office" voice): "I've already done it."

Bengals: "Fair point. Can you hang around to sign some paperwork?"

Boom.

If this team possesses even a shred of poetic timing, Jackson's first public appearance comes on April 26, and not a minute sooner, as he strolls up to the podium to announce Cincy's No. 17 pick -- from Oakland, with love.

So Mikey's already tried to extend Marvin:

Linky

I hope they get this done - um, except that Marvin can't be the one throwing the challenge flag anymore :)

-QG

Hell freezing over territory: Bengals hire an additional scout :eek: and other such things are supposedly coming Linky

Maybe 2012 is the end after all! :scared:

-QG

Just when you start to think they have a plan/vision... Poof. That is why this organization will never have prolonged success. Occasional runs to the playoffs, but if you can't keep your talent or bring other talent in, you simply can't sustain it.

Just when they get one area fixed and are ready to focus on addressing another in the draft, they let the depth slip away. :thumbdown:

Don't get me wrong, it's not like they are Pro Bowlers, but depth matters.

Sign me up for Bush:

Back-to-back: Raiders free-agent RB Michael Bush and Pats RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis visiting the Bengals.

@AdamSchefter

One last thing on Terence Newman, I have heard that he will visit the Cincinnati Bengals to see if he can hook up with Mike Zimmer.

@BryanBroaddus

Reporter for 103.3 FM ESPN and ESPN Dallas.

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz1p8DN68D1

And we are officially drafting a guard in round 1.

Frostee going is :shrug: - that was too big a contract for him and he made me hungry for a shake every time I heard his name so I'm okay with it.

Fanene hurts more as I don't think the contract was that unreasonable for what he provided. We'll see how it shakes out but I'm not terribly excited about them spending this $30m in a great fashion.

-QG

PS - yeah I know they have $50m in cap room technically, but we all know the Mikey cap probably makes it more like $30m

And we are officially drafting a guard in round 1.Frostee going is :shrug: - that was too big a contract for him and he made me hungry for a shake every time I heard his name so I'm okay with it.Fanene hurts more as I don't think the contract was that unreasonable for what he provided. We'll see how it shakes out but I'm not terribly excited about them spending this $30m in a great fashion.-QGPS - yeah I know they have $50m in cap room technically, but we all know the Mikey cap probably makes it more like $30m
You all do know that there is no salary floor being enforced this year, right? MB obviously does...

And we are officially drafting a guard in round 1.Frostee going is :shrug: - that was too big a contract for him and he made me hungry for a shake every time I heard his name so I'm okay with it.Fanene hurts more as I don't think the contract was that unreasonable for what he provided. We'll see how it shakes out but I'm not terribly excited about them spending this $30m in a great fashion.-QGPS - yeah I know they have $50m in cap room technically, but we all know the Mikey cap probably makes it more like $30m
If they sign Kenall Langford, we won't miss Fanene.

You all do know that there is no salary floor being enforced this year, right? MB obviously does...
Of course we know that! Believe me when it comes to reading fine print Mikey Boy is a first ballot hall of Famer.I'm expecting the WhoDeyRevolution guys to start passing out signs saying "We are the 89%" outside PBS after that floor (which I'm sure Mikey will strictly adhere to) comes to pass.-QG

So Livings and McGlynn are both gone. This is fine if we could actually get somebody in here to play!

The contract Livings got from the Cowboys was pretty crazy (almost $4m/yr) for what he offers.

Any thought as to whether or not the Bengals actually draft TWO guards with their first 3 picks?

-QG

I just realized that with the Cowboys signing Livings suddenly they are probably out of the running for DeCastro :thumbup:

-QG

Jonathan Stewart may be available soon. I'd be floored if we ever made a move for a RB of his caliber but I can dream right?

Users who are viewing this thread