#1 Mark Davis

Mark Davis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,505 posts
  • Joined 23-March 04

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have searched for info on him and there is nothing I can find. I know with the lockout he was pretty much hopelessly stuck behind others in Denver but he has almost no stats this year and I haven't heard anything about his longer term prospects. Not sure if he is in Fox's doghouse or if he just isn't getting any time for other reasons. Anyone have any insights?
QUOTE(andy_b @ Feb 15 2008, 04:58 PM)
You are both ignorant and arrogant and that is a horrible combination.

#2 Punch

Punch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

I have searched for info on him and there is nothing I can find. I know with the lockout he was pretty much hopelessly stuck behind others in Denver but he has almost no stats this year and I haven't heard anything about his longer term prospects. Not sure if he is in Fox's doghouse or if he just isn't getting any time for other reasons. Anyone have any insights?

I read an interesting article once about LB's contributing in their rookie year. LB's drafted after the second round almost never contribute right away. Wish I could remember where I saw the article though. If I had a deep roster, I'd stash him.

#3 jdswan922

jdswan922

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Joined 03-April 09

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Assuming the DJ Williams suspension sticks, does this give Irving a shot finally?

#4 Punch

Punch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Assuming the DJ Williams suspension sticks, does this give Irving a shot finally?

Looks like it, but who knows. Wait it out with him on your roster if you have a spot. I know I am...the opportunity is there now for sure. Maybe Jene could weigh in on this?

Edited by Punch, 11 March 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#5 ADP

ADP

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 572 posts
  • Joined 06-April 08

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Looks like it, but who knows. Wait it out with him on your roster if you have a spot. I know I am...the opportunity is there now for sure. Maybe Jene could weigh in on this?

I think Irving was going to get his shot this year regardless of the DJ situation. The shortened year last year is the only reason I think he was not on field more last year. With full offseason and training camps, Irving will be starting MLB this year on opening day.

#6 ninerfanatic492000

ninerfanatic492000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Joined 17-June 07

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:55 AM

I think Irving was going to get his shot this year regardless of the DJ situation. The shortened year last year is the only reason I think he was not on field more last year. With full offseason and training camps, Irving will be starting MLB this year on opening day.

definetly more playing time available with Joe Mays being allowed to walk

#7 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,297 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

http://espn.go.com/b...n/post?id=55579

The Broncos have re-signed middle linebacker Joe Mays. He was a serviceable starter in 2011, starting 12 games. The team would like to see Nate Irving become a starter. If so, the 26-year-old Mays will still have value as a special-teamer.

#8 mlball77

mlball77

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,082 posts
  • Joined 01-July 03

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post?id=55579

The Broncos have re-signed middle linebacker Joe Mays. He was a serviceable starter in 2011, starting 12 games. The team would like to see Nate Irving become a starter. If so, the 26-year-old Mays will still have value as a special-teamer.

Ugh, this makes things a bit murkier for Irving now.

#9 MindCrime

MindCrime

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

And now Woodyard has been re-signed. http://profootballta...r-deal/related/ "Woodyard will be Denver’s primary nickel linebacker in 2012. He replaces Joe Mays at middle linebacker on passing downs." Not sure quote is as set in stone as it sounds, but another hit for Irving, even if he gets the nod as the base down starter.

#10 Jene Bramel

Jene Bramel

Footballguy

• Pip
  • 17,086 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

They guaranteed Mays 4M for 2012 in a market that wasn't moving. That, plus the Woodyard signing, means Irving will have to be very good this offseason to force the team's hand. 2013 is a more realistic time frame now.

#11 ADP

ADP

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 572 posts
  • Joined 06-April 08

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Any new news on Irving? Where does he fall within this years crop of rookie LBs? Trying to get a gauge on his value.

#12 mlball77

mlball77

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,082 posts
  • Joined 01-July 03

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Any new news on Irving? Where does he fall within this years crop of rookie LBs? Trying to get a gauge on his value.

I was trying to find something on Irving earlier today and didn't come up with anything recent. I'm still working under the assumption that he and Mays will be competing for the starting MLB gig.

#13 ADP

ADP

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 572 posts
  • Joined 06-April 08

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

I was trying to find something on Irving earlier today and didn't come up with anything recent. I'm still working under the assumption that he and Mays will be competing for the starting MLB gig.

That's my thinking as well. have to believe Denver wants Irving to win the starting gig and will give him every opportunity to do so in camp. Mays, while serviceable, is not the future. Irving still could be and would think Denver would want to find this out sooner rather than later. Just looking to see if anyone has heard anything different. Also would like to know how he ranks among this years crop of rookie LBs.

#14 Jene Bramel

Jene Bramel

Footballguy

• Pip
  • 17,086 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I felt better about Irving before the Broncos re-signed Mays in March. The contract isn't lucrative and could be seen as a one year hedge despite its three year length, but it's not exactly a vote of confidence for Irving. Subpackage snaps are probably hard to come by for Irving immediately, too. I'm prone to leaning toward the younger player who's yet to have the shine knocked off his upside, so while I'm not giving up on Irving yet, I think I'd have a hard time rostering him over Kuechly, David, Wagner, Kendricks or Davis. It'd be a tougher call between Irving and Zach Brown.

#15 Gamma1210

Gamma1210

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Joined 06-February 07

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:13 AM

Anything new with Irving? I haven't seen his name mentioned at all as a possible starter. Is there still potential here?

#16 Buffaloes

Buffaloes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,803 posts
  • Joined 14-July 08

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

Anything new with Irving? I haven't seen his name mentioned at all as a possible starter. Is there still potential here?

He's backing up the only starting stud LB in Denver right now. He's backup Sam right now--which means he's right behind Von Miller. Supposedly he does not look like the future Mike as many had expected and the fact that he has not beaten out Woodyard or rookie Danny Trevathan for a spot at Will isn't looking great. He has been up and down in preseason action, but I would look elsewhere for sleepers. It seems Denver is content rolling with a corps of Miller, Mays and Woodyard to open the season and the fact that he's playing as a Sam doesn't indicate the Broncos have big plans as far as grooming him to play alongside Miller.

I would like to put my foot through the internet and kick you in the balls for that.

#17 Tick

Tick

I suck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,297 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

Concussed.

#18 chook

chook

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,414 posts
  • Joined 17-November 06

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

My link

When you fart is loud enough to make a animal curious you know probably gonna win burritos.

Wizards Of Aus - 2008 Can't Stand The Commish (Season VII) Dynasty Champions

#19 TheBottomLine

TheBottomLine

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 01-April 09
  • Interests:Buckeyes and Ravens

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Time to start thinking about this guy again.. has a legitimate shot at the starting middle linebacker job. 

That being said, we're still more than likely talking about a two-down role, so his upside is limited unless something happens to Woodyard. 

As just the two-down middle linebacker I could see the potential for 60 or so solos and 20 or so assists.

http://www.rotoworld...619/nate-irving

West Alex League (10-team, Dynasty, PPR, IDP, Standard Scoring, Lineup: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 TMPK, 3 DL, 4 LB, 4 DB):

QB:  Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel

RB:  Adrian Peterson, Gerhart, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Leshoure, Trent Richardson, Donald Brown, Bradshaw, Ballard,

WR:  Calvin Johnson, Randall Cobb, Steve Smith, Justin Hunter, Markus Wheaton, Jerrel Jernigan, Marlon Brown, Kenny Britt

TE:  Dennis Pitta, Tyler Eifert, Jermichael Finley

TMPK:  Broncos

DL:  JJ Watt, Chandler Jones, Geno Atkins, Dontari Poe

LB:  Luke Kuechly, Patrick Willis, Wesley Woodyard, Arthur Brown, Terrell Suggs, Donta Hightower, Craig Robertson, Justin Houston, Colin McCarthy

DB:  Eric Berry, Matt Elam, DJ Swearinger, Patrick Peterson, DeAngelo Hall, Patrick Chung, Rahim Moore

MXL League (12-team, Dynasty, PPR, IDP, Standard Scoring, Lineup: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 TMPK, 1 ST, 1 DT, 2 DE, 4 LB, 2 CB, 2 S):

QB:  Aaron Rodgers, Josh Freeman, Mike Glennon

RB:  Ray Rice, Darren Sproles, Mark Ingram, Chris Ivory, Jacquizz Rodgers

WR:  Calvin Johnson, Randall Cobb, Michael Crabtree, Torrey Smith, James Jones, Aaron Dobson, Stephen Hill, Julian Edelman

TE:  Kyle Rudolph, Dennis Pitta, Tyler Eifert, Rob Housler

TMPK:  Rams, Eagles

DT:  Henry Melton, Cullen Jenkins, Damon Harrison

DE:  Muhammad Wilkerson, Corey Liuget, Arthur Jones, Andre Branch, Malik Jackson

LB:  Luke Kuechly, Derrick Johnson, Brian Cushing, Mychal Kendricks, Alec Ogletree, Brad Jones, Sio Moore, Craig Robertson

CB:  Lardarius Webb, Tramon Williams, Prince Amukamara, Brandon Boykin, David Amerson

S:   Harrison Smith, Glover Quin, Michael Griffin, Charles Godfrey, JJ Wilcox

ST:  Raiders, Eagles

#20 Mark Davis

Mark Davis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,505 posts
  • Joined 23-March 04

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Time to start thinking about this guy again.. has a legitimate shot at the starting middle linebacker job. 

That being said, we're still more than likely talking about a two-down role, so his upside is limited unless something happens to Woodyard. 

As just the two-down middle linebacker I could see the potential for 60 or so solos and 20 or so assists.

http://www.rotoworld...619/nate-irving

Hope so.  I've stashed him for the past two seasons and losing Demarcus Ware from my LB corps to the DE.  I really need Irving to see the field.  I have Kuechly but the rest of my guys are uninspiring (DJ Williams, Brinkley, D Smith, Lawson, Maiava).

#21 BuckeyeChaos

BuckeyeChaos

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 368 posts
  • Joined 22-June 10

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

so is he a 3 down guy if he wins the starting MLB job?

#22 TheBottomLine

TheBottomLine

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 01-April 09

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

I don't see how.  Woodyard and Miller won't be leaving the field on third down.  Irving is strictly a 2-down guy, barring injury to Woodyard.

West Alex League (10-team, Dynasty, PPR, IDP, Standard Scoring, Lineup: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 TMPK, 3 DL, 4 LB, 4 DB):

RB:  Adrian Peterson, Gerhart, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Leshoure, Trent Richardson, Donald Brown, Bradshaw, Ballard,

WR:  Calvin Johnson, Randall Cobb, Steve Smith, Justin Hunter, Markus Wheaton, Jerrel Jernigan, Marlon Brown, Kenny Britt

LB:  Luke Kuechly, Patrick Willis, Wesley Woodyard, Arthur Brown, Terrell Suggs, Donta Hightower, Craig Robertson, Justin Houston, Colin McCarthy

DB:  Eric Berry, Matt Elam, DJ Swearinger, Patrick Peterson, DeAngelo Hall, Patrick Chung, Rahim Moore

MXL League (12-team, Dynasty, PPR, IDP, Standard Scoring, Lineup: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 TMPK, 1 ST, 1 DT, 2 DE, 4 LB, 2 CB, 2 S):

WR:  Calvin Johnson, Randall Cobb, Michael Crabtree, Torrey Smith, James Jones, Aaron Dobson, Stephen Hill, Julian Edelman

DE:  Muhammad Wilkerson, Corey Liuget, Arthur Jones, Andre Branch, Malik Jackson

LB:  Luke Kuechly, Derrick Johnson, Brian Cushing, Mychal Kendricks, Alec Ogletree, Brad Jones, Sio Moore, Craig Robertson

CB:  Lardarius Webb, Tramon Williams, Prince Amukamara, Brandon Boykin, David Amerson

#23 Buffaloes

Buffaloes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,803 posts
  • Joined 14-July 08

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

I don't see how.  Woodyard and Miller won't be leaving the field on third down.  Irving is strictly a 2-down guy, barring injury to Woodyard.

I am pretty sure Miller played DE in nickle and dime sets most of the time and Wolfe slid inside to DT last year. Shaun Phillips was signed so maybe he or Miller plays more LB in nickle sets. But if I had to guess, those 2 guys will be lined up as bookend DEs on passing downs which would leave the opp for Irving to play 3 downs. Miller, Mays, and Wood played 3 downs until Mays was hurt last year. Wood will be a 3-down LB and I think Irving will have the opportunity to be one assuming Denver's scheme is anything like last year's, which I think it will be.

I would like to put my foot through the internet and kick you in the balls for that.

#24 TheBottomLine

TheBottomLine

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 01-April 09

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Mays was never a three-down backer last year if my memory serves correct.  Judging by his numbers, you'd have thought he only played one down.  If Mays put up those numbers playing three downs, then how can anyone be excited about Irving stepping into this situation?  I'm about 95% positive Mays only played two downs, though. 

#25 PlasmaDogPlasma

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,839 posts
  • Joined 07-December 07

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

I'm guessing Danny Trevathan plays more snaps than Nate Irving this year.

Buffaloes, on 05 Jun 2013 - 22:50, said:

TheBottomLine, on 05 Jun 2013 - 22:11, said: I don't see how. Woodyard and Miller won't be leaving the field on third down. Irving is strictly a 2-down guy, barring injury to Woodyard.

I am pretty sure Miller played DE in nickle and dime sets most of the time and Wolfe slid inside to DT last year. Shaun Phillips was signed so maybe he or Miller plays more LB in nickle sets. But if I had to guess, those 2 guys will be lined up as bookend DEs on passing downs which would leave the opp for Irving to play 3 downs. Miller, Mays, and Wood played 3 downs until Mays was hurt last year. Wood will be a 3-down LB and I think Irving will have the opportunity to be one assuming Denver's scheme is anything like last year's, which I think it will be.
I have a hard time seeing Nate Irving playing over Danny Trevathan in passing situations.

#26 Young 8

Young 8

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Joined 16-August 05

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

Mays was never a three-down backer last year if my memory serves correct. 

No, your memory does not serve you correctly.

Joe Mays played 305 snaps out of 318 (95.9%) before losing his job.

#27 Buffaloes

Buffaloes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,803 posts
  • Joined 14-July 08

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Mays was never a three-down backer last year if my memory serves correct.

Mays was an every-down LB until the Pats exploited the middle of the field against him and he got hurt. The early opp is there for Irving and it's a situation worth paying close attention to. I am sure Denver will mix it up quite a bit on the defensive side of things, but if Irving can play the pass he'll probably earn some time in there on 3rd down.

I agree w/ the guy who said Trevathan can take some 3rd down reps. He looked very good in that role down the stretch last year.

ETA: As far as the LB situation in Denver goes, they should have a chance to make a lot of plays without wading through too much trash.

Denver invested heavily in the DL this year re-sigining Vickerson, picking up Knighton, and drafting Sly Williams in the 1st. Those guys are massive and should do a good job keeping the OL from reaching the 2nd level in the run game. Woodyard still projects to get the lion's share of tackles.

Edited by Buffaloes, 08 June 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#28 Warpig

Warpig

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Is Irving worth holding in a deep 32 team league?  Does he have a future any where in the league...if not with Denver, somewhere?  Since he's hardly on the field I haven't seen much of his abilities.  Does he have skills to be a starter somewhere?

#29 ninerfanatic492000

ninerfanatic492000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Joined 17-June 07

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

His offsides on 4th and 4 essentially lost the game as the chargers drive lasted I think they said 7min more than it should have.........with as little as he plays I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut. Unless he is a core sp teamer who they'll give a mulligan to

#30 Mark Davis

Mark Davis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,505 posts
  • Joined 23-March 04

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

I hate to say it but time to cut bait here IMO.  I wanted to believe in him but three years into this he's shown nothing.  

#31 Warpig

Warpig

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:24 AM

I know he was only playing due to Von Miller being out, but Irving had 3 tackles (per CBS Sports) and that nice break up in the endzone on that pass to Jermaine Kearse that would have been a TD had Irving not got his hand in there.

The only other LB that had more than 3 tackles was Trevathan and he had 12.  Woodyard and Lenon combined for 5 total!

#32 Miro Z

Miro Z

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

Do we still think he has zero value? Looks like he could get a fair bit of playing time in Denver this year.

#33 buck56

buck56

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 06-December 07

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

Do we still think he has zero value? Looks like he could get a fair bit of playing time in Denver this year.

Right now he is the projected starting MLB.

#34 BroadwayG

BroadwayG

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,863 posts
  • Joined 28-May 04
  • Interests:Oh, I don't know. Play chess... screw...

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

Right now he is the projected starting MLB.

No different than the past two years

}=O)

#35 Miro Z

Miro Z

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:02 AM

It wasn't a great sign that various elderly stiffs (Paris Lenon etc) have started in front of him in recent years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users