What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie 1.02- PPR (1 Viewer)

Who is the 1.02 rookie?

• Justin Blackmon

Votes: 146 73.4%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Andrew Luck

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • Michael Floyd

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Lamar Miller

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Doug Martin

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • David Wilson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
In PPR, I would trade this pick. Both the QBs, Luck and RG3, are clearly better prospects IMO. Seeing that it's PPR though, you basically have to take the highest rated WR at this spot given that the RBs remaining aren't elite.

Voted Blackmon but would look to trade out.

Other. Kendall Wright
I actually saw some article that some teams do have Wright #1 on their board. Which, personally, I think is nuts... but he's likely to continue to climb the charts.
He will be far more impressive than Blackmon at the combine, for whatever that is worth.
I always respect your opinion on college players/rookies jurb. Why so down on Blackmon?
I'm not so down on him. He's my #1 WR this year. I just don't believe he is elite, like many others do. He's a significant downgrade vs. the 2 guys last year IMO, Green and Jones. Wright is going to impress with his raw athletic ability, Blackmon not so much. Blackmon isn't the same kind of athlete, but he's still a better WR. At least right now he is.

Other. Kendall Wright
I actually saw some article that some teams do have Wright #1 on their board. Which, personally, I think is nuts... but he's likely to continue to climb the charts.
He will be far more impressive than Blackmon at the combine, for whatever that is worth.
I always respect your opinion on college players/rookies jurb. Why so down on Blackmon?
I'm not so down on him. He's my #1 WR this year. I just don't believe he is elite, like many others do. He's a significant downgrade vs. the 2 guys last year IMO, Green and Jones. Wright is going to impress with his raw athletic ability, Blackmon not so much. Blackmon isn't the same kind of athlete, but he's still a better WR. At least right now he is.
I think Blackmon is a better athlete than you're giving him credit for. He might not run in the 4.4, but he's agile, quick, and strong. He probably won't test as well as Julio, but I think he's a better football player. I think he's a better pure athlete than Green.

Other. Kendall Wright
I think Blackmon is a better athlete than you're giving him credit for. He might not run in the 4.4, but he's agile, quick, and strong. He probably won't test as well as Julio, but I think he's a better football player. I think he's a better pure athlete than Green.
I disagree on both accounts.

I have seen Blackmon play almost every snap in college, I think he is a cant miss pick and will be a dominant force, especially if he ends up in St louis with Bradford.

I like the idea of revisiting these polls after the combine / pro-days but for now I think I'm changing my pick to Luck here. I'll admit that mostly this is because of the mixed opinions going on in the other Blackman thread. I want the can't miss guy here and most seem to agree on Richardson and Luck so I'm happy with one of those

ETA: I don't have a top 7 QB though. If I did I'd stick with the Blackmon

Last edited by a moderator:
it's hard to justify taking a wr without prototypical size or speed that highly.
Good QB's can be acquired cheaply in 1 QB leagues so I can't justify taking a QB that early. Blackmon isn't as great of a 1.02 pick as Jones or Green was last year but I think he'll be money in PPR leagues.

RG3 brings the running element that gives him extra consideration. Also think someone will come from nowhere to jump in the top 3. Things usually arent what they seem.

it's hard to justify taking a wr without prototypical size or speed that highly.
Good QB's can be acquired cheaply in 1 QB leagues so I can't justify taking a QB that early. Blackmon isn't as great of a 1.02 pick as Jones or Green was last year but I think he'll be money in PPR leagues.
Even in 16 team leagues 50 man rosters (after the rookies)?. Almost any QB with some potential is rostered. I think it would be easier to find/ trade for a starting WR than a potential top 10 QB

Even in 16 team leagues 50 man rosters (after the rookies)?. Almost any QB with some potential is rostered. I think it would be easier to find/ trade for a starting WR than a potential top 10 QB
50 man rosters are huge (except maybe in IDP). Most leagues have 20-30 man rosters and if they start 1QB then yeah non-elite QBs can come pretty cheaply as people usually only roster 3-4 max. They might roster 10 WRs though so they can be much more sought after especially in PPR and if you start 3-4.

I think this year's rookie drafts are going to be all over the place after #1 unless Blackmon really comes out and lights it up. I could see Blackmon, Luck, RG3 easily. One of the 2nd tier RBs like Miller or Wilson could also run a great time and go to a great location like Cinci. If that happens I could see a team grabbing them at 1.02 if they need a RB. Another possibility is a guy like Floyd going to a good spot, like San Diego if they let VJax walk. Could that put him in top 2 consideration ahead of Blackmon (like if Blackmon goes somewhere not as good, like Cleveland)? I think so.

It's going to be an interesting couple of months.

I have the 1.01 and 1.02 this year. After Richardson, I would love to trade that 1.02 to someone in love with Blackmon or Luck/RGIII.

I'm not sold on Blackmon. He has a pedestrian vert (33"), not blazing fast, only 6' tall, beat up on weak BIG 12 CB's that gave him a 7 yard cushion every game (most of his catches were slants or quick throws due to the cushion), and now he isn't running because he tweaked his hamstring? I hate hearing that.

I'd look to trade the 1.02 this year if someone is in love with Blackmon. I'd rather move back to around 1.07 or 1.08 and see what falls there.

I have the 1.01 and 1.02 this year. After Richardson, I would love to trade that 1.02 to someone in love with Blackmon or Luck/RGIII. I'm not sold on Blackmon. He has a pedestrian vert (33"), not blazing fast, only 6' tall, beat up on weak BIG 12 CB's that gave him a 7 yard cushion every game (most of his catches were slants or quick throws due to the cushion), and now he isn't running because he tweaked his hamstring? I hate hearing that.I'd look to trade the 1.02 this year if someone is in love with Blackmon. I'd rather move back to around 1.07 or 1.08 and see what falls there.
The biggest question I have about Blackmon is can he seperate vs. NFL DBs. He isn't overly quick, isn't overyly fast, has an average frame and was never challanged in college. He uses his body extremely well and plays strong so he has abilities that can translate but I'm just not sure how well. I agree, I'd let someone else take the chance on him. There are plenty of people willin to pay for him.

I have the 1.01 and 1.02 this year. After Richardson, I would love to trade that 1.02 to someone in love with Blackmon or Luck/RGIII.

I'm not sold on Blackmon. He has a pedestrian vert (33"), not blazing fast, only 6' tall, beat up on weak BIG 12 CB's that gave him a 7 yard cushion every game (most of his catches were slants or quick throws due to the cushion), and now he isn't running because he tweaked his hamstring? I hate hearing that.

I'd look to trade the 1.02 this year if someone is in love with Blackmon. I'd rather move back to around 1.07 or 1.08 and see what falls there.
I'm not sure I trust that 33" vertical number (from Sports Science, right) since he's the betting favorite to for the highest vertical at the combine.
Justin Blackmon finds himself pitted against several receivers in separate prop odds involving the vertical leap. For example, Blackmon is –120 versus South Carolina’s Alshon Jeffery, who is also –120. Blackmon is also a –135 money line favorite to record a higher vertical leap than Baylor’s Kendall Wright, who is –105 on the ML.

I'm a Blackmon fan. I think he can be Hakeem Nicks/Anquan Boldin in the NFL.

Having said that, I do think the perceived value gap between 1.02 and picks like 1.05-1.06 is greater than the actual gap. I'm a big fan of the top 6-7 picks this year. You're going to walk away with a nice prospect like Wright, Floyd, Martin, or Griffin in that range. I think all of those guys have the potential to be valuable dynasty commodities for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Having said that, I do think the perceived value gap between 1.02 and picks like 1.05-1.06 is greater than the actual gap. I'm a big fan of the top 6-7 picks this year. You're going to walk away with a nice prospect like Wright, Floyd, Martin, or Griffin in that range. I think all of those guys have the potential to be valuable dynasty commodities for years to come.
not to mention Miller & Wilson. Probably gonna be more emerge as we move along as well

not to mention Miller & Wilson. Probably gonna be more emerge as we move along as well
So should we add a 'trade down' option to the poll? How many would trade this pick and what would you want to get back?

So should we add a 'trade down' option to the poll? How many would trade this pick and what would you want to get back?
at the beginning of the off season I offered 1.07, 1.10, and 1.11 for the 1.02 and 3.11; also 1.06 and 1.03 for 1.02 and 3.11; Kinda glad they got rejected at this point. Dude countered with 1.02 for 1.03, 1.06, and 1.07...insane thinking IMO, but gives you an idea how some people over value 1.02.don't get me wrong, I love Blackmon. I just like these other guys almost as much. I ended up trading down from 1.03 to 1.05 picking up 2 future 2nd's one of which should be a decent pick. I felt like I wasn't giving up much because I see a large group of guys that I'll take...

at the beginning of the off season I offered 1.07, 1.10, and 1.11 for the 1.02 and 3.11; also 1.06 and 1.03 for 1.02 and 3.11; Kinda glad they got rejected at this point. Dude countered with 1.02 for 1.03, 1.06, and 1.07...insane thinking IMO, but gives you an idea how some people over value 1.02.don't get me wrong, I love Blackmon. I just like these other guys almost as much. I ended up trading down from 1.03 to 1.05 picking up 2 future 2nd's one of which should be a decent pick. I felt like I wasn't giving up much because I see a large group of guys that I'll take...
I like a lot of players in the draft and your original offer is more than fair. My gut feeling after watching so much of Blackmon is that he's capable of putting up top 20 PPR numbers from day 1 and I don't feel nearly that confident about the other WR's in the draft. As far as the value gap after the 1.02 it's really hard to say because a lot could change after the draft (like Miller to the Bengals and Blackmon (god forbid) to the Jaguars.

Obviously the answers people give for these polls largely vary depending on the league format they're thinking of. I play in mostly 16 team, 6 points per passing TD, non-PPR leagues, so quarterbacks are quite valuable. Looking at it as things stand now, I think Richardson is a lock at 1.01, but after that it's wide open. Luck and RGIII could both go top 3, it wouldn't surprise me. Blackmon still probably goes no later than #4, but the best non-Richardson RB is going to make a pretty nice consolation prize at #5. With all the buzz that is surrounding him, as long as he doesn't go to a terrible situation, I think we could be seeing Doug Martin as the consensus #5 when all is said and done.

We'll see. Pretty nice top 8 though, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread