What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 Denver Broncos thread*** (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
Well, that was a disappointing end to what can only be described as a magical season. I think that there is room for optimism, moreso than in any year since 2005. There are more story lines here than the obvious Tebow stuff; that's really what I wanted to be dissecting here.

lets start with the coaches: For the first time in a while, I think all coaches will be back. We haven't seen a DC have more than one season since 2004-2006*. I think Dennis Allen has done a fantastic job with what he had to work with, outside of the Pats game. There has been a good mix of blitz/coverage and control/aggression. Offensively, McCoy did a fantastic job, I think, of finding an offense outside his comfort zone for Tebow to be comfortable in. That doesn't mean I don't have faults with the play-calling - it was horribly predictable and slow to adapt, IMO. That may be a limitation of Tebow, however. bottom line - stability and an off-season to get schemes implemented will do wonders.

Defensively, this team has some nice parts but some glaring holes and very little depth. On the line, Dumnervil was great all season. Bunkley played above expectations. Ayers was actually pretty good, even though his stats won't show it. Marcus Thomas was ok, everyone else is NFL scrub-level. We could really use some talent infusion here to get a nice rotation. I think we would have been much better here had Ty Warren and Vickerson been healthy. @ LB, DJ Williams probably had his best season as a pro, I think because he wasn't asked to do stuff he really wasn't comfortable with. He got to stay home @ WLB where he belongs. Von was awesome, but his play really went downhill with the cast. He also did make some mistakes in the run game and was replaced several times by Woodyard. Joe Mays was terrible IMO, especially in pass D. In the back-field, Champ continues to be one of the best in the league. Chris Harris has been a nice surprise @ nickel. Goodman is probably NFL average at best, and the safety play has been pretty bad (again). Dawkins probably won't be back and his leadership will be missed. Quentin Carter has shown flashes, haven't seen much to be excited about from Moore. Brunton is a special-teams stud; he really shouldn't be on the field otherwise.

Offensively, there's Tebow, who has been discussed elsewhere. The OL is young and IMO not as good as their billing. They are very good in the run game, but struggle with pass protection, Franklin especially. We could really use some depth here as well. Hopefully Harris can play - if he can be RT, move Franklin to LG and let Beadles be the swing man, I'll be very pleased. Clady, Franklin, Walton, Kuper and Harris would be a very good line. TE's - I would love to see some development from Julius Thomas...a dynamic TE would do wonders for this O. @ WR, Demaryius Thomas is starting to look like the real deal. I'm still not sure how good Decker is, and I'm pretty sure Willis isn't startable. Royal is a FA, but I don't think he has much value beyond PR anyways. @ RB - McGahee has some years on him, Moreno can't stay healthy. Jeremiah Johnson has potential I think, but we'll see what he can be.

Obviously, progress on offense depends entirely on Tebow. I think he will start the season @ QB1, and will have about as long of a leash as Orton had - 5 games or so. If he looks like garbage after 5 games, Fox will be able to pull the plug justifiably.

I'm looking forward to 2012 season. This is the first time I've been this optimistic headed into off-season since the Broncos lost in the 2005 AFCCG.

*eta: edited for accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting:

Other than Tebow!

So the biggest question in the offseason is to get deeper at RB and I really think we need to get someone that is great at returning kickoffs. With the new rules I am so sick of Willis bringing it out of the endzone and getting to the 15.

I agree that we need a better #3 and #4 Wr (depending on Decker). TE is also a need, but they drafted Julius Thomas so hopefully he can do something this season.

From today's Denver post: Broncos expect to go all in with Tebow as their starter for 2012 season

lots of stuff about Tebow and how he needs to improve, yada yada...here's how the Post sees this team shaking out beyond the QB position:

Holes need filling

Much of that work will occur at positions other than quarterback. The Broncos will use the offseason to bring in reinforcements at defensive back, running back and defensive tackle — probably in that order.

Age has made the secondary priority No. 1. It would be surprising if veteran safety Brian Dawkins didn't call it a long, proud career.

He was again playing at a Pro Bowl level this season when a neck injury left him with numbness that took too long to subside. In the final six games, Dawkins, 38, played sparingly in two. He missed the final three, including the two playoff games.

While the Broncos will be counting on Moore and fellow rookie Quinton Carter to step up as second-year safeties in 2012, a greater concern is at cornerback, where both Bailey and André Goodman will turn 34 before next season.

Bailey will return, but it's possible the Broncos may start a first-round rookie on the other side.

At running back, Fox no longer wants Willis McGahee to have 20 to 28 carries, as he did in six games this season. Fox wants another McGahee, although maybe a little younger and with a dash more speed.

At defensive tackle, the Broncos' two starters, Brodrick Bunkley and Marcus Thomas, are free agents. So is kicker Matt Prater and receiver Eddie Royal. The Broncos will try to bring back all four.

Even if Royal returns, though, the Broncos were caught thin at receiver after their midseason trade of Brandon Lloyd.

Up front, the Broncos will likely add depth in the middle. The tight end position will need rookies Virgil Green and Julius Thomas to dramatically improve. Daniel Fells and Dante Rosario are free agents.

At linebacker, the Broncos will be counting on rookie Nate Irving to compete with Joe Mays at the middle inside position.

The success or failure of any NFL team, though, begins and ends with the quarterback position. It's not enough that Tebow becomes the Broncos' quarterback in 2012.

There has to be certainty about him.

"I feel like I've improved a lot in a lot of different forms of my game," Tebow said. "And I need to continue to improve and continue to get a lot better, and I believe I can. And I am looking forward to putting in the work."

on top of their other needs, i'd really like to see the broncos add speed at running back, 8 guys on the defense are standing on top of the football when it's hiked, need a rb that can get to the edge as well as take it to the house as soon as they clear the first level.

Raiders to interview McCoy, Allen

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—The Oakland Raiders have requested permission to interview Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for their open head coach job.

A person familiar with the request confirmed a report by ESPN that the Raiders were going to interview McCoy. ESPN also reported that Oakland requested to interview Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen for the job.

New general manager Reggie McKenzie is also interested in interviewing assistants from Green Bay, where he had been director of football operations. Linebackers coach Winston Moss, coordinators Joe Philbin and Dom Capers, quarterbacks coach Tom Clements and secondary coach Darren Perry could be candidates.

McKenzie already interviewed former Miami interim coach Todd Bowles.

The league as a whole seems impressed by the coaching this last season for the broncos, both McCoy and Allen have been mentioned as candidates for multiple head coaching positions

As much as it would kill McGahee's value, I could see them looking for a better dump off option at RB- they were really trying to make Lance Ball that guy in the last few games, and at least for now, he doesn't look like a strong option there. If Norv had been fired from SD, I could see a move for Tolbert, but I doubt he leaves now...so maybe Earnest Graham (TB- could be cheap assuming he rehabs successfully) or Snelling (ATL) would be good adds.

The problem with the Tebow effect is that you can add WRs, but they better like running routes and blocking downfield rather than actually catching the ball- I think 1-2 reads for Tebow is about all that he has the patience for unless they wean him off the option. Decker and Thomas with Thomas (TE) and Royal as a 3-wide and return guy would probably be sufficient if they're planning on continuing with mostly the same offensive philosophy.

The one thing they have going for 2012 is that they're the least in turmoil in the division- KC and OAK will be revamping coaches and staff, and SD will be playing for Norv's 3rd or 4th last chance. That alone should be enough to put them in the running, assuming Tebow doesn't regress...draft-wise, they're a little screwed by how they finished, so drafting other QB/RB/WR may be a longshot. Maybe they could go after Dixon from PIT as competition for Tebow?

Priority #1 has to be to get younger and deeper in the secondary. If Nate Irving isn't the long-term answer at MLB, I'd probably put that as the next highest priority ahead of defensive tackle.

I think most of the pieces are there on offense, with significant development needed at the skill positions. I think the priorities there are more about drafting/acquiring depth as opposed to seeking out specific upgrades.

I've heard a lot of chatter around about Russell Wilson as a potential QB draft target. I like the idea. He's projected as a mid-late round pick from what I've seen so far, and you could do a lot of the same things offensively with him that they do with Tebow.

Well, Dennis Allen is gone. Let's hope he has a short and unremarkable head coaching career in oakland. Broncos will now hire their 7th DC in 7 years. Fortunately, fox is a defensive minded guy, so there should be a fair amount of continuity.

It appears that McCoy will stay. I've seen lots of folks criticize McCoy for the playcalling; I'm of the belief that the playcalling was a function of the personnel on the field and McCoy did just fine within Tebow's skill-set. I'm glad that he will be sticking around for at least one more year to oversee Tebow's development. Continuity can only be a good thing.

anyone hearing anything interesting for the new DC? I've seen Del Rio speculated,and I would be estatic if Fox could bring him in. Cecil tweeted that it would be a internal hire: Richard Smith, a guy who has been around the league for decades.

for crying out loud...get a decent DC who gets along with our HC and he gets a new job. This is getting ridiculous.

KC fan chiming in just for fun....live in CO...watched every game.....listen to the sports talk every day

the "will be the starter going into training camp" commment by Elway says a lot to me about what they think about Tebow......I don't care what you say, to me that basically means...

HE IS NOT OUR QB.....

he's our starter going into training camp....well no ####..?..he was your starter at the end of the season and you haven't done anything yet.....?....what else is he going to say....?...most of the time you want to hear "we don't have to worry about our QB situation"....anything else really means you are not confident at that position and you do need to worry about your QB position....

as a KC fan I would love for DEN to really think he is the guy.....I think he really limits an offense and allows a pretty easy defensive scheme to be implemented against them....I don't mind playing teams that rely on defense and special teams to win games for them when they have offense whose mindset is don't lose the game for our defense and special teams....

Brady and the Pats offense want to come out and bury you....Tebow and the Bronco offense want to come out and try not to lose the game for their defense and special teams....one makes you lose sleep at night, the other not so much.....please keep Tebow and please keep trying to make him into something he is not, because he may actually be better just being what he is then being what they want to try and make him into...

Denver will most likely take a flier on a rookie QB in the draft causing them to not get better elsewhere....fine by me....and if they don't, somebody will be signed to compete because it is pretty obvious Quinn isn't the answer....and as soon as that rookie is drafted or as soon as somebody is brought in.....QB controversy....love it...

this is now a "QB league" and because of that it is also a "get to the QB league"....DEN can do that but they need some help in the secondary (safety) to allow their pass rush to continue to be effective....

McGahee was a nice story this year, but obviously the RB could use an upgrade....the drafting of Moreno is rearing it's ugly head like never before and forcing this team to address a position that normally you would hope a 12th overall draft pick (Moreno) would have been able to solidify......past mistakes still linger and affect future decisions....not good

when they ran Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, and Hillis out of town, it set this franchise back in a huge way....not to mention trading a solid DB to DET and moving up to get some guy named Quinn at TE in the second when he only caught 12 passes in college....

long story short....it turned out to be a nice season and noone ever saw a playoff victory coming although it came over a battered and bruised undermanned after the first quarter Steeler team that had they not settled for two FG early it might have been a different game.....the Pats exposed the Broncos twice and seriously you let my Chiefs and your old QB come into your backyard during your "magical" season and beat you 7-3 in what would have amounted to a playoff game had Oakland not laid a bigger egg against SD....

you may call it magical....I didn't really see it that way.....cause right now, I think you have more questions than answers at the most important position in football and other holes to fill as well....

good luck....go Tebow.... :banned:

how is there not a Tebowing emoticon yet....

:goodposting: Other than Tebow!So the biggest question in the offseason is to get deeper at RB and I really think we need to get someone that is great at returning kickoffs. With the new rules I am so sick of Willis bringing it out of the endzone and getting to the 15. I agree that we need a better #3 and #4 Wr (depending on Decker). TE is also a need, but they drafted Julius Thomas so hopefully he can do something this season.
Can Thomas catch? I don't know much about him but if the team could add a playmaking TE that would really help Tebow and the offense. Last year it seemed like the routes for the WRs were almost always deep. A QB needs a safety valve he can trust and there really wasn't one.

Denvers Free Agent Listing

**I'm not 100% sure this is up to date but it's close.**

Unrestricted Free Agents –

Brady Quinn (QB)

Spencer Larson (FB)

Eddie Royal (WR)

Daniel Fells (TE)

Russ Hochstein (G)

Derrick Harvey (DE)

Jason Hunter (DE)

Brodrick Bunkley (DT)

Marcus Thomas (DT)

Mario Haggan (LB)

Joe Mays (LB)

Wesley Woodyard (LB)

Restricted Free Agents -

Matt Willis (WR)

Ryan McBean (DT)

Exclusive Rights –

Lance Ball (RB)

Chris Clark (T)

Of those FA I think the Broncos really need to target keeping Bunkley and Woodyard. I'd like to see them keep Royal just because of how active he is in the community here but I really don't think losing him would hurt the product on the field. I think the Broncos can really help themselves this year through free agency and then use the draft to fill in whatever they don't get in FA.

The positions I really see the Broncos being the most deficient in are (in order):

Safety

DT

TE

QB

RB

S - At safety, I'd like to see the Broncos make a serious run at Atari Bigby, Michael Jenkins or Craig Steltz.

DT - At DT there are some very good options out there. Sione Pouha is the top of the FA DT class imo but Bunkley and Derek Landri are other very good options out there.

TE - TE is fairly thin for this years FA class. I think Joel Dreeson and Martellus Bennett are the 2 best choices out there right now.

QB - If the Broncos are going to commit to Tebow and his style of offense they need to get a backup in camp. The most common names out there are Dixon and VY. I don't really see them going for any other QB in the FA market.

RB - Outside of the big three (Rice, Forte and Foster) there are quite a few good choices available. Lynch, Hillis, Tolbert, Michael Bush, Benson and Battle are all FA RBs I could see the Broncos going after.

Manning signed. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm hearing the Clark and Saturday are coming for a visit too...These guys will dove-tail with Denver already has. Walton has been pretty meh so far, and we have some deficiencies @ TE...both of these guys will fall in nicely.

If we can get Wallace and find another RB, we will be in really nice shape, offensively. Need some defensive help too...need to re-sign Bunkley, another DT, a MLB, and Denver will be in great shape.

Manning signed. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I'm hearing the Clark and Saturday are coming for a visit too...These guys will dove-tail with Denver already has. Walton has been pretty meh so far, and we have some deficiencies @ TE...both of these guys will fall in nicely.If we can get Wallace and find another RB, we will be in really nice shape, offensively. Need some defensive help too...need to re-sign Bunkley, another DT, a MLB, and Denver will be in great shape.
I'd add CB to that list. In fact, I'd put CB pretty high. But Peyton Manning....wow

With Manning in Denver, the secondary is definitely the Broncos biggest need. With the cap space they have, they should be able to address all of their needs for the next few years. Good day to be a Broncos fan.

Despite the Manning signing, I've got a really uneasy feeling today. I am not OK with moving Tebow, which I think will happen, one way or another. I think the kid is going to be special some day, and I was really hoping it would be in Denver. I'm very scared that we are mortgaging the future to win today...with a suspect defense, an aging RB, and inconsistent receivers.

There are two ways this can go: Jack Del Rio fixes the D, Peyton plays like the Peyton of old, McGahee continues to run like a 26 yr old vet, and Denver makes a deep run in the playoffs, strong SB chances. Dream scenario, and not something that us Bronco fans are used to seeing.

Or, a more likely scenario, Manning struggles (after taking a year off and in a new environment w/ new teammates), defense plays like it has over the past 5 years, and Denver misses the playoffs. I'm really afraid that this is how it plays out.

If the second scenario happens and Tebow finds success in Jacksonville (or anywhere else), I will be beyond pissed.

I'm tired of the musical chairs @ QB. Griese -> Plummer -> cutler -> Orton -> Tebow -> (late career) Manning -> (?). All showed promise, none allowed to fulfill their potential. I was really hoping that the (?) after Manning could be Tebow.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer Tebow stay and have 3-4 years to develop out of the spotlight. That said, 3 years is a long window in the NFL these days and another QB can be brought in through the draft to develop - there will always be players like Ryan Mallet last year sliding in the draft. Even shelling out the large amount for Manning, the Broncos are still in a great position to bolster the team via free agency and be serious contenders for as long as Manning plays at a high level.

Despite the Manning signing, I've got a really uneasy feeling today. I am not OK with moving Tebow, which I think will happen, one way or another. I think the kid is going to be special some day, and I was really hoping it would be in Denver. I'm very scared that we are mortgaging the future to win today...with a suspect defense, an aging RB, and inconsistent receivers.There are two ways this can go: Jack Del Rio fixes the D, Peyton plays like the Peyton of old, McGahee continues to run like a 26 yr old vet, and Denver makes a deep run in the playoffs, strong SB chances. Dream scenario, and not something that us Bronco fans are used to seeing.Or, a more likely scenario, Manning struggles (after taking a year off and in a new environment w/ new teammates), defense plays like it has over the past 5 years, and Denver misses the playoffs. I'm really afraid that this is how it plays out. If the second scenario happens and Tebow finds success in Jacksonville (or anywhere else), I will be beyond pissed.I'm tired of the musical chairs @ QB. Griese -> Plummer -> cutler -> Orton -> Tebow -> (late career) Manning -> (?). All showed promise, none allowed to fulfill their potential. I was really hoping that the (?) after Manning could be Tebow.
All they need to do is win the division, which is very doable. Tebow's value isn't going to be higher (and he doesn't hurt others too much cap-wise), so as long as they don't give him away, the move could still be beneficial.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer Tebow stay and have 3-4 years to develop out of the spotlight. That said, 3 years is a long window in the NFL these days and another QB can be brought in through the draft to develop - there will always be players like Ryan Mallet last year sliding in the draft. Even shelling out the large amount for Manning, the Broncos are still in a great position to bolster the team via free agency and be serious contenders for as long as Manning plays at a high level.
I'd be hononred to work with hall of fame QB Peyton Manning :mellow:

:confused:

Plummer is capitalized
:goodposting:
Griese -> Plummer -> cutler -> Orton -> Tebow -> (late career) Manning -> (?).
Still can't bring yourself to capitalize the name of the best Denver QB of the past 13 years? Let it go. :lmao:
Plummer (up until today) is BY FAR the best QB Denver has had since Elway retired.
Compare Plummer to Cutler and see what you think.Games Played+Started: 59-54 / 37-37

Team record: 39 - 15 / 17 - 20

Completions/game: 16 / 20.6

Attempts/game: 27.1 / 33

Completion %: 59.1% / 65.5%

Yards/game: 197.1 / 243.9

TD's/game: 1.2 / 1.46

TD%: 7% / 12%

INT/game: .8 / 1

INT%: 5% / 8%

Yards/attempt: 7.3 / 7.4

Adjusted yards/attempt: 6.9 / 6.9

Yards/completion: 12.3 / 11.8

Yards/game: 197 / 244

QB rating: 84.3 / 87.1

Sack/game: 1.17 / 1.38

Sack %: 7% / 11%

Yards lost /sack: 5.93 / 6.02

Net yards gained/pass attempt: 6.7 / 6.9

Adjusted yards gained/pass attempt: 6.3 / 6.4

4th quarter comeback %: 8% / 14%

Game winning drive %: 17% / 19%

While I wouldn't agree with it, I can see you making the point that Plummer and Cutler were similar, but to say Plummer was FAR better is being dishonest IMO. I'm guessing you'll point out the W/L record as the final factor that proves Cutler was terrible, but let's be honest, the defense Plummer had was hands down better than what Cutler had.

Plummer had the heart of a champion. He was a warrior, nothing but moxie. He wasn't the student of the game that Shanahan wanted and he took too many chances, leading Shanahan to draft his replacement. After cutler was drafted, Jake took it like a man and fought for his starting spot. Things went down hill when the D collapsed (Al Wilson's neck injury being the culprit), and the cutlerites demanded Jake be benched.

When Jake was finally benched, he played out the season, and never said a bad thing about his replacement. After the season, he decided his heart wasn't into it anymore, and hung it up. I have nothing but respect for Jake Plummer.

I know it's a fantasy football website, but Bronco fans don't have to compare stats to know who was the better QB in Denver. We got to see them put those statlines together. Cutler was awesome between the 20s and generally thrived putting up stats until crunch time.

We remember Plummer helping Denver end NE's unbeaten playoff streak, lead multiple playoff runs, and make the AFCC game. We also remember a Cutler-led Denver team missing the 2008 playoffs after leading the division by 3 games w/ 3 games left to play highlighted by Cutler air mailing a wide open Brandon Stokely in the end zone (twice?) before ultimately hitting Bills' LB Kawika Mitchell right in the numbers at the GL to seal the win for Buffalo. For all of Cutler's talents the issue in Denver was not coming through in the clutch whether that be a playoff run or the red zone. Enjoy your QB, Bear fans. But Plummer has been the best Post-Elway era QB for the Broncos and we're ready to move on to the Peyton Manning era.

OK, back to the 2012 Broncos...still have some holes to fill and rumours have Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, and Stokely as potential FA additions. Saturday sounds fine, but I'm hoping Julius Thomas grows in his 2nd year into a starting TE. I'm just not sure how much Clark & Stokely have left. Still would like to see Bunkley back in addition to another impact interior DL and a starting-caliber CB (or 2).

I think Clark and Saturday would be huge additions. Julius may be able to step up, but I'd rather Manning come into a situation where he has some familiar targets to work with and Clark would be the ultimate security option. Having Stokely around won't hurt since he'll be cheap, as long as they have some competition for him in the slot. If he has anything left in the tank, great, if not there should be other options.

It's too bad Royal moved on because I was excited to see what he could do in that role with Manning as the QB.

I still see big needs in the secondary, MLB, and DT. I'm wondering if they will make a play for Yeremiah Bell who was just released by the Dolphins.

Damn. Bunkley to the Saints for 5/$25M. Probably easy to to replace at least 85-90% of his production for considerably less, but it puts more stress on what was already an area of need.

Draft team needs: Denver Broncos

By Clark Judge | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

There's a reason Peyton Manning is in Denver, and it's not only team exec John Elway or head coach John Fox. It's Tim Tebow, the quarterback he displaced.

Let me explain. Tebow made the Broncos an attractive choice because he turned what should have been a 4-12 doormat into a division winner that upset defending AFC champion Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

That told Manning the Broncos aren't that far away ... except they might be. Eliminate those miracle finishes and last-gasp victories, and you're looking at the AFC West's worst ballclub.

Still, Manning will make this team better, with most confident that Denver wins the AFC West. Maybe, but that's only if he is recovered from a significant injury and plays as he did two seasons ago. That's a big if, with nothing certain until play resumes.

QB: The only question here is how healthy Manning is or will be. One coach I trust told me he doesn't have the arm strength yet, comparing it to, oh, say, that of Chad Pennington. Then again, we're over five months from the start of the season. There seems little doubt Manning will improve, that his arm will return and that he will be effective. But he hasn't played in over a year and just turned 36, so you have to wonder: At what level does he play and where, exactly, will he come up short? We're about to find out, and heaven help Denver if Manning is sidelined. Caleb Hanie is the backup.

RB: Willis McGahee wasn't just good last season; he was marvelous, rushing for 1,199 yards, averaging 4.8 yards per carry and shouldering the bulk of the Broncos' top-rated rushing attack. But McGahee turns 31 this season and was winding down at the end of last year, failing to rush for more than 76 yards in five of his final six starts, including the playoffs. Also, he's not a big playmaker. The Broncos still have Knowshon Moreno as a backup, but the guy has missed 12 games over the past two seasons -- including nine last year. As a holdover from the Josh McDaniels era, he wouldn't appear to have much of a future here. Lance Ball and Jeremiah Johnson comprise the rest of the running-back brigade, and we're missing someone significant from last year's rushing attack. Oh, yeah, it's Tim Tebow. Look for the Broncos' running game to suffer without him.

WR: DeMaryius Thomas is a star waiting to happen ... if he can stay healthy. So far he hasn't, having missed parts of his first two seasons. When he's on the field, he's a load. But he could use help, and while Eric Decker is a solid possession receiver with sure hands, he's not much more than a No. 3. Andre Caldwell and Jason Hill are next in line, and connect the dots, people. This is not Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. Manning doesn't have the receivers he had in Indianapolis.

TE: Once, there was the expectation that Denver would hire Dallas Clark to join his favorite quarterback. But so far, that hasn't happened, which may tell you how much Clark has declined. He turns 33 this summer and missed 15 games the past two seasons. Instead of reaching for him, Denver chose another Indianapolis tight end, Jacob Tamme, who is younger and healthier. Look for him and fellow newcomer Joel Dreesen to be Manning's favorite short-to-intermediate targets.

OL: Former Indianapolis center Jeff Saturday was expected to follow Manning to Denver too, but he didn't. Instead, he took a deal with Green Bay. So Manning operates behind an offensive line that is strong at left and right tackle, where Ryan Clady and Orlando Franklin operate. The Broncos aren't quite as strong inside, but having Chris Kuper back at guard is critical. He broke his leg and dislocated his ankle late last season, breaking a string of 15 games where the Broncos' offensive line was intact. Protecting Manning is not just important, it's critical -- and his quick release and smarts will help his bodyguards. He knows how to avoid repeated hits, which always makes an offensive line look good.

DL: There is talent on the outside, where Robert Ayers and Elvis Dumervil man the end positions, with Ayers more comfortable as a 4-3 down lineman than a 3-4 outside linebacker. Still, he doesn't have the push you would like to see from an outside pass rusher -- one reason the club re-signed backup Jason Hunter. Brodrick Bunkley, who was a pleasant surprise, will be missed, with the Broncos plugging in Kevin Vickerson and Ty Warren as prospective starters inside. Vickerson is good for rotations but doesn't look like star material, while Ryan McBean and Mitch Unrein provide inside depth. Denver needs help at defensive tackle, and don't be surprised if it makes one an early draft pick.

LB: Despite a thumb injury that forced him to miss a start and handicapped him down the stretch, Von Miller was the league's Defensive Rookie of the Year. And he should have been. The guy was an impact player, explosive in his pass rush and solid in his play -- with former defensive coordinator Dennis Allen moving him around to confuse and confound opponents. But neither Miller nor the Broncos' defense was the same after he was hurt in late November, with turnovers one area where they were deficient. The Broncos wound up finishing tied for 28th in that department, with none in their final three regular-season games. D.J. Williams' limitations in pass coverage were exposed, with special-teams whiz Wesley Woodyard sitting behind him. Joe Mays was re-signed to plug the middle. Mays is solid vs. the run, but look for Nate Irving to push him.

DB: There's an overhaul here, and there should be. The Broncos got torched down the stretch, especially in the playoff loss to New England. In three of their final five games, opponents scored 40 or more points, with quarterbacks picking apart a secondary that had played well until then. Look for three new starters, with Champ Bailey the only returnee. Tracy Porter and Mike Adams joined the Broncos via free agency, while Quinton Carter is being promoted from within. Carter was inconsistent when he played last season, but coaches are high on him and believe he will improve with experience. Chris Harris played well in his role as a nickel back, while safety Rahim Moore must look better than he played as a rookie.

"Eric Decker is a solid possession receiver with sure hands, he's not much more than a No. 3."

I have his floor as a WR3, with a very high ceiling now that Manning is under center.

I would like to hear thoughts from Bronco fans.

"Eric Decker is a solid possession receiver with sure hands, he's not much more than a No. 3."I have his floor as a WR3, with a very high ceiling now that Manning is under center. I would like to hear thoughts from Bronco fans.
Coming out of college people also said Greg Jennings was going to be No. 3.If Manning is healthy I have to believe Decker's floor is WR3 as well. I got Decker for cheap in a Dynasty league and was stoked by the Manning news. Counting on him to be a solid receiver for me this year.

I would agree that if Manning and Decker both remain healthy, Decker's floor is WR3 with a ceiling of mid-WR1.

Don't know what happened tonight. NE really owned Elway and CO. tonight. I just figure there is some plan here. If they don't get Worthy, then I am really wondering what they are doing.

Don't know what happened tonight. NE really owned Elway and CO. tonight. I just figure there is some plan here. If they don't get Worthy, then I am really wondering what they are doing.
Agreed. Why they are sending picks to NE is beyond me. I thought they were done with McD

Agreed. Why they are sending picks to NE is beyond me. I thought they were done with McD
Patience young grasshoppers, I believe we just saw Elway out Belichick the Patsy's and Bill Belichick. Worhty is still gonna be there at 36, and we picked up extra picks to give us more options for the rest of the draft. Why pay first round money for second round players? Elway and Co are doing just fine.

Patience young grasshoppers, I believe we just saw Elway out Belichick the Patsy's and Bill Belichick. Worhty is still gonna be there at 36, and we picked up extra picks to give us more options for the rest of the draft. Why pay first round money for second round players? Elway and Co are doing just fine.
I know, those posts made no sense. First of all, it's clear Denver is pretty convinced they will still get who they want (earlier obvious selections notwithstanding). So they hustled to try and get another pick. That's value at its best. The ironic thing is it's vintage Patriots, I have to say.Trading down only a few spots is a pretty clear sign that whoever is on their board, will still be there. Conversely, they are able to take advantage of a team who is in fear of losing a player they really want. Perfect. Hello, can you say Broncos / Tebow? I know which side I'd rather be on...I really think the Broncos got to take advantage of a situation that arose. Twice! And the second time allowed them to move from a mid-fourth, to almost a 3rd round pick. If things work out, Denver still gets one of their 1st round selections, while also receiving another pick. I think it's safe to say they have more than one guy that left on their board, so there may not even be much risk in the deal(s).Yeah, I really think they were able to work some deals for a "free" 4.05. That's great. Things have changed, finally.

I know, those posts made no sense. First of all, it's clear Denver is pretty convinced they will still get who they want (earlier obvious selections notwithstanding). So they hustled to try and get another pick. That's value at its best. The ironic thing is it's vintage Patriots, I have to say.Trading down only a few spots is a pretty clear sign that whoever is on their board, will still be there. Conversely, they are able to take advantage of a team who is in fear of losing a player they really want. Perfect. Hello, can you say Broncos / Tebow? I know which side I'd rather be on...I really think the Broncos got to take advantage of a situation that arose. Twice! And the second time allowed them to move from a mid-fourth, to almost a 3rd round pick. If things work out, Denver still gets one of their 1st round selections, while also receiving another pick. I think it's safe to say they have more than one guy that left on their board, so there may not even be much risk in the deal(s).Yeah, I really think they were able to work some deals for a "free" 4.05. That's great. Things have changed, finally.
Elway and the staff IMO made a couple great moves last night. Moving down to get a player you are targeting (hopefully) while improving your position later in the draft is money. I've never been so happy on draft night without making a single selection!

Broncos got screwed over in the first tradedown - 25->31+126 is giving up 74 points in the trade value chart - roughly another 4th rounder. I think this was an issue of Denver desparately trying to move back, and NE was the only team looking to make a deal...NE, unfortunately, had already given up it's 3rd rounder so they didn't have a whole lot more ammo. At that point, with a 10 minute clock, you take what you can get.I'd rather have the Broncos get screwed over in trade value than reach for someone they could have in the 2nd in the first.

Terrible draft so far. The team invests 100 million for a QB and then drafts someone to develop. What the heck? They could have kept Tebow, brought in a veteran back up and then still made all these picks they have made and saved 100 million.

Don't get me wrong, I love Manning in Denver, but you have a window with him. It is all in at this point--making the playoffs or winning would have been nice with Tebow. With Manning it is a title or this whole trade makes Elway and Co. look like the just did all they could to just get Tebow gone.

They need help on defense--NOW. This draft needed to be defense, defense, defense and then reach later on for playmakers such as WR and RB.

Either that or trade the picks for existing veterans and go all NY Yankees and attempt to buy a title.

I know I will get flamed for this, but if you have an average, older QB then the Oswelier pick makes sense to build for the future, but when this team spent 100 million to win now--you better win now and be darned the future. This is not a marathon with Manning it is a freaking sprint.

Really, really disappointed. For what they got, they could have packaged their 1st and some 2nd/3rd rounders and moved up to get a top 10 "impact player", which is what Elway said he wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread