Photo

obama: The most polarizing president. Ever.

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,356 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

The great uniter indeed...

The either your with me or the "enemy" president...

Be proud America he is even better than Bush...

The best ever
Ops Sec Link

I dare you to watch it...

"If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, then vote Romney in 2012 to prove your not an idiot!"

#2 Leeroy Jenkins

Leeroy Jenkins

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,107 posts
  • Joined 04-April 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

The best ever

I think people gave Bush a chance during his first term and especially after 9/11. There is a certain element in this country that were never going to agree with Obama even if he said the sky was blue.

OK - then YOU are the ########.

#3 matuski

matuski

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,238 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05
  • Interests:killing threads

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

I wonder if his race has anything to with this for the OP and others? Just a hunch...

#4 Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,435 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

The best ever

I think people gave Bush a chance during his first term and especially after 9/11. There is a certain element in this country that were never going to agree with Obama even if he said the sky was blue.

Obama Derangement Syndrome.
"I'll get it; it's probably the pizza."
-Osama bin Ladin May, 2011

http://flyingspaghettimonster.org/

Man is kind enough when he is not excited by religion. - Mark Twain.

The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." - John Adams.
I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." - Thomas Jefferson
Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise.- James Madison

"Go back to what our founders and our founding documents meant -- they're quite clear -- that we would create law based on the God of the bible and the ten commandments." -Sarah Palin

#5 ceo3west

ceo3west

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,877 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

It's easy for a hack like you to make this about Obama, but the fact is that this has been a growing trend in this country for a long time.

Out of the ten most partisan years in terms of presidential job approval in Gallup data, seven — yes, seven — have come since 2004. Bush had a run between 2004 and 2007 in which the partisan disparity of his job approval was at 70 points or higher.

And this is likely the correct hypothesis when you take off your blinders:

Our guess is that Jones’ latter hypothesis is the right one — that we are simply living in an era in which Democrats dislike a Republican president (and Republicans dislike a Democratic one) even before the commander in chief has taken a single official action.

You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
- Bob Weir

#6 Thunderlips

Thunderlips

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,442 posts
  • Joined 06-November 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

The best ever

Excellent post. Obama was Public Enemy Number One to a good 33% of this population the minute he won the election.
To all my love slaves out there...THUNDERLIPS is here...in the flesh baby!!!!

XBOX: SCUTTFARKAS

#7 BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,356 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

I wonder if his race has anything to with this for the OP and others? Just a hunch...

Just a bunch of BS, obama could not have won without the white vote... He is hated because of his policies not the color of his skin... But play the race card I am sure it will come out a lot in the next few months, I mean he cannot run on his record can he... lmao
Ops Sec Link

I dare you to watch it...

"If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, then vote Romney in 2012 to prove your not an idiot!"

#8 GroveDiesel

GroveDiesel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,925 posts
  • Joined 24-February 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

The best ever

Really? Because I remember a large number of people screaming that Bush stole the election, that Gore was the real President, and that Bush would NEVER be their President. And that Bush would destroy the environment and end abortion.

So, yeah, there were a whole lot of people that never gave Bush a chance from the very beginning either.

And yeah, I think the hypothesis that we're just becoming more polarized in general is probably the best argument here.

So those saying that it's BECAUSE of Obama can shut it, and those saying that it's because Republicans are racist can shut it as well.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - John Adams

#9 Loose Moose

Loose Moose

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 15-August 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Just a bunch of BS, obama could not have won without the white vote... He is hated because of his policies not the color of his skin... But play the race card I am sure it will come out a lot in the next few months, I mean he cannot run on his record can he... lmao

Did you even read the article? It's highlighting a long-term trend in increasing polarization across a number of Presidents from both parties. If anything, it's suggesting that Obama's policies have little to do with it, as another poster mentioned. Unless you're just fishing, in which case carry on...

#10 Widbil83

Widbil83

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,448 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Get ready for President Romney.

#11 footballnerd

footballnerd

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,377 posts
  • Joined 01-October 07

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

It all doesn't matter when Rep nominations are just making it easy for Obama. Batter up....

#12 guderian

guderian

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Joined 22-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yes. We dislike Obama because of his race. We just willfully ignore the 4% GDP growth, tame unemployment and sound financial policies. You seem to forget that this is a president who went into office stating 'elections have consequences and we won' and who's vilified numerous industries. Who's speeches don't unite, but attack and blame the politics of the half of the country who didn't vote for him.

#13 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yes. We dislike Obama because of his race. We just willfully ignore the 4% GDP growth, tame unemployment and sound financial policies. You seem to forget that this is a president who went into office stating 'elections have consequences and we won' and who's vilified numerous industries. Who's speeches don't unite, but attack and blame the politics of the half of the country who didn't vote for him.

IIRC, it was more like the third of the (voting) country.

#14 Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,498 posts
  • Joined 18-July 07

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

No he's not.

#15 Thunderlips

Thunderlips

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,442 posts
  • Joined 06-November 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Most Presidents going forward won't have much of a chance either. The ideological media on both sides of the aisle loves to trump their new President as "__________" while denigrating the exiting President and his "failed" policies. Think about it. People who are even remotely ideological (which most people are) will naturally build up a certain amount of animosity for the incoming POTUS, because they are being told, "it's good to have the grownups back in charge of Washingon", (Bushies in regards to Clinton) "it's good that The People and Democracy are back in charge of Washington" and (Obamaites in regards to Bush) "its good that the Islamo-Socio-ChiCom-shrill,Chicago Politician who never showed his birth certificate and whose failed economic and political policies brought this country to the brink of ruin is being replaced by an honest American politician". (Tea Partyers in regards to Obama).

#16 GroveDiesel

GroveDiesel

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,925 posts
  • Joined 24-February 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

No he's not.

Didn't read the article, did you?
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - John Adams

#17 RBM

RBM

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,135 posts
  • Joined 03-August 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

If libs hate President Romney, that will mean good things for the country

#18 IvanKaramazov

IvanKaramazov

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46,421 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

I think people gave Bush a chance during his first term and especially after 9/11.

This part is so wrong it's not even funny. Yes, Bush benefitted from a natural rally-around-the-flag effect immediately after 9/11, but nobody who remembers the slightest thing about the 2000 election could possibly think that he was welcomed into office with nothing but good will from all corners.

#19 guderian

guderian

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Joined 22-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

46% :rolleyes:

#20 urbanhack

urbanhack

Fight The Power!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,868 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

who would govern pretty much like Obama has. I can't imagine what you people would think if Obama had delivered on half or 3/4 of the more liberal agenda he laid during his campaign. As others have said around here, he's pretty much been Bush-lite and this is how you guys react?

City living and consumerism is, at its essence, unamerican.

..::sp::..

#21 PlasmaDogPlasma

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,551 posts
  • Joined 07-December 07

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

I'm not quite sure where the shtick of not capitalizing the man's name stacks up with Johnnycakes shtick of using a zero for the first letter. Both deliciously clever satire, obviously.

#22 randall146

randall146

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,646 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

No he's not.

Didn't read the article, did you?

The article says he's not. :shrug:

#23 Fennis

Fennis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31,174 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

who would govern pretty much like Obama has. I can't imagine what you people would think if Obama had delivered on half or 3/4 of the more liberal agenda he laid during his campaign. As others have said around here, he's pretty much been Bush-lite and this is how you guys react?

Bush's 4th term

#24 drummer

drummer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,737 posts
  • Joined 15-March 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Is this the Angry White Man thread?

Walking the fine line of bickering and slap fights.

Currently staining a Bryant boat, with 8 Warning Points, over 13,000 posts, and over 10,000 profile views since 2006!

#25 dozer

dozer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,072 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

If Hillary would have been the nominee and eventual winner we'd all be having a group hug right now. I love you guys.

I'm your huckleberry.

#26 Fennis

Fennis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31,174 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Is this the Angry White Man thread?

present

#27 Leeroy Jenkins

Leeroy Jenkins

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,107 posts
  • Joined 04-April 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

I think people gave Bush a chance during his first term and especially after 9/11.

This part is so wrong it's not even funny. Yes, Bush benefitted from a natural rally-around-the-flag effect immediately after 9/11, but nobody who remembers the slightest thing about the 2000 election could possibly think that he was welcomed into office with nothing but good will from all corners.

:shrug: Im a person who voted Bush in 2000, Kerry 2004, and Obama 2008. After 9/11 he had everybody here and across the world until iraq really.

OK - then YOU are the ########.

#28 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Ooooooooohhhh. Super cool guy with the :rolleyes:, like he busted someone who admitted potential fault in his post. Wow, your arguments are so much more valid to me now!

#29 Thunderlips

Thunderlips

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,442 posts
  • Joined 06-November 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

:shrug: Im a person who voted Bush in 2000, Kerry 2004, and Obama 2008. After 9/11 he had everybody here and across the world until iraq really.

Bush's approval ratings were in the 50%-60% up until 9/11.

#30 greenroom

greenroom

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

The best ever

Once again did you even read the article you posted?? It shows the Bush has the biggest gaps between parties.. Actually make that the three highest marks.. But go ahead.. and show how you are not to be taken considered serious.
e.

#31 guderian

guderian

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Joined 22-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Ooooooooohhhh. Super cool guy with the :rolleyes:, like he busted someone who admitted potential fault in his post. Wow, your arguments are so much more valid to me now!

I thought it was rather childish to quibble over a few percentage points rather than letting me slide with a simplistic "half". :shrug:

#32 Chadstroma

Chadstroma

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,296 posts
  • Joined 19-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Let me save all those on the left some time and roll up your response in this: It is not Obama's fault. It is the Republicans fault because (fill in your favorite reason)* *Some examples would be they are racists, they are unreasonable, they are dumb.

#33 goonsquad

goonsquad

Think different.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,573 posts
  • Joined 04-October 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

This is the result of our hyper-partisan media that exists only to rile up the masses for cheap ratings instead of simply reporting the news. :thumbdown:
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble-makers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status-quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify, or vilify them. But the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008

If I am the coach I want the RB backed by the devil.

#34 RBM

RBM

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,135 posts
  • Joined 03-August 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

You're the tool that had to correct his "half of the country" comment

#35 boofatty

boofatty

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Joined 18-July 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

When you have two parties that thrive on a divided populace what would you expect? Also add in the media machines that wouldn't exist if it wasn't for partisan politics and you have sparks being introduced to fuel. The economy and industry of politics gets completely lost on people. Obama is as middle of the road as they come and reagan could NOT get elected in 2012 even if jesus was his running mate.

#36 G5781

G5781

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Let me save all those on the left some time and roll up your response in this: It is not Obama's fault. It is the Republicans fault because (fill in your favorite reason)* *Some examples would be they are racists, they are unreasonable, they are dumb.

You forgot a pretty important one "they got us in this mess"

#37 Reg Lllama of Brixton

Reg Lllama of Brixton

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,033 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

What a stupid headline/statement. I'm pretty we had a president once whose mere election caused a civil war.
Never trust a man who reads only one book.

#38 The Future Champs

The Future Champs

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

I thought it was rather childish to quibble over a few percentage points rather than letting me slide with a simplistic "half". :shrug:

Standard stupid response by Sweeney here.
Not a shark. More of a manatee.

#39 bakes

bakes

I am the Beer God!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,987 posts
  • Joined 13-August 04
  • Interests:beer and loudspeaker geek

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

When you have two parties that thrive on a divided populace what would you expect? Also add in the media machines that wouldn't exist if it wasn't for partisan politics and you have sparks being introduced to fuel. The economy and industry of politics gets completely lost on people. Obama is as middle of the road as they come and reagan could NOT get elected in 2012 even if jesus was his running mate.

This. The schizm portrayed by Fox and MSNBC is far greater than the actual divide between people's political beliefs. It's good for ratings and good for their corporate influence in Washington. Create strawmen for us to argue over and we won't notice what's going in that should really be cheesing us off.
Still in there. This kid is taking a hell of a dump. Either that, or he's busy wiping with his socks and hanging them inside the stall like Xmas stockings. - Evilgrin72
----------------------------------------------------------------
RIP 117 Delphine Street - built 1870, family home since 1956, destroyed in the Owego Flood of 2011.

#40 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

You're the tool that had to correct his "half of the country" comment

Ooooooooooohhhh. Super cool name caller that doesn't know what "IIRC" means. Wow, your arguments are soooooo much more valid to me now and I question my very existence!

#41 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,023 posts
  • Joined 25-June 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

This is the result of our hyper-partisan media that exists only to rile up the masses for cheap ratings instead of simply reporting the news. :thumbdown:

:goodposting:

Also:
The "rebuttal":

For me, this quote from Senator Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) that appeared in National Journal magazine on Oct. 23, 2010 neatly sums up what I saw every day in the Senate and in every decision Republicans made: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

I guess the larger point that I am trying to make is that President Obama should not be blamed for the sharply polarized tone of the current political process because Republicans have made such an aggressive shift to the right. Or, put slightly differently, the President CAN be blamed for his unwillingness to go further to right than the American people are comfortable with — and for that he has been demonized and vilified by the right.

I immediately disqualify about anything I hear politically from anyone that buys the GOP line that Obama is a socialist. Sorry, look at the facts, that's just a scary word to toss around, with no real facts to back it up. I don't love everything Obama's done, and I'm watching the Rep. primaries with interest to try and decide which way to vote.

My vote is available, but the hyper-partisan lying that goes on right now at even the highest levels of politics (from BOTH sides) is just ridiculous. Someone needs to stand up and stop it, but I don't see a candidate willing to do that yet.
Go Vikings!

#42 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Standard stupid response by Sweeney here.

You again? I thought we left off with you getting rammed for not knowing what you were talking about, even with questions you yourself asked. :lmao:

#43 Homer J Simpson

Homer J Simpson

I don't push

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38,408 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

What a stupid headline/statement. I'm pretty we had a president once whose mere election caused a civil war.

:goodposting: F U Chester A. Arthur! :angry:

Will hump for food

#44 Dr. Gobbler

Dr. Gobbler

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3,316 posts
  • Joined 27-August 10

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

LOL at you dumb donkeys who think Romney will be any different than Obama who would be any different than Bush. THE GOVERNMENT AND ITS REPRESENTATIVES ARE BOUGHT AND PAID FOR.

#45 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

I was thinking of the electoral vote which was a 2:1 ratio, thus the 1/3 comment. Carry on with your eye rolling, it's very effective.

#46 Todd Andrews

Todd Andrews

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,986 posts
  • Joined 16-November 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

He's just like that sheriff in Blazing Saddles!!!

Loosen up Sandy baby - John Riggins

I tasted a beer and tried a cigarette once, as a wayward teenager, and never did it again - Mitt Romney

Frankly, one of our political parties is insane, and we all know which one it is. They have descended from the realm of reasonableness that was the mark of conservatism. They dream of anarchy, of ending government. - Bruce Bartlett (Reagan Economic Policy Advisor)

Wisdom here.

#47 The Future Champs

The Future Champs

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

I was thinking of the electoral vote which was a 2:1 ratio, thus the 1/3 comment. Carry on with your eye rolling, it's very effective.

:lmao: I've never heard that excuse before. Keep up the good work.

#48 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

What excuse? I take it you never enrolled in the ESL class I recommended for you. Very well, I'll explain it in as short of words as possible in order to limit your ability to be dead wrong. I was wrong with Guiderian's statement about the "half" of the popular vote because I was thinking of the electoral vote, which was 1/3. Simple math. See if you can piggyback Elementary Arithmetric on that ESL class.

I have no idea what makes you think that pointing out how irretrievably stupid you are in every post somehow affects me.

#49 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,277 posts
  • Joined 18-July 07

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

:yawn:
Too Bold

#50 The Future Champs

The Future Champs

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

What excuse? I take it you never enrolled in the ESL class I recommended for you. Very well, I'll explain it in as short of words as possible in order to limit your ability to be dead wrong. I was wrong with Guiderian's statement about the "half" of the popular vote because I was thinking of the electoral vote, which was 1/3. Simple math. See if you can piggyback Elementary Arithmetric on that ESL class.

I have no idea what makes you think that pointing out how irretrievably stupid you are in every post somehow affects me.

Guderian was clearly referring to the electorate, not the electoral college, when he made his original statement. You've followed that up with:

1. Confusing the electoral vote with the popular vote.
2. Responding angrily when Guderian pointed out your mistake.

Why so mad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users