What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2012 K Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Herman

Footballguy
The 2012 K Thread is open for business. Along the way we'll talk playoffs, free agency, the draft, minicamps, training camp battles, injuries, and all things kicker related.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine they hang onto Novak through the preseason to make Kaeding work and put him under pressure to perform. Probably want Kaeding to keep thd job but want him to earn it.

Same idea happened when the Ravens signed Graham two years ago but kept Cundiff (perhaps regretting that decision two weeks ago...)

What do you think of teams franchising their kickers? Thought it was fine with the Bengals doing it with Nugent* but wanted the expert's thought.

-QG

* - (Since they were able to keep Nelson)

I did hear some speculation that there is increased risk in taking kickers on teams that could be tempted to go for two more frequently then the norm. The Jets with Tebow and the Panthers with Cam Newton were the two teams cited.

Who's kicking in New Orleans this coming year, Kasay or Hartley?
Hartley. He's recovered from his hip injury. Kasay is a free agent.
Sweet, he was a FA addition on my dynasty team near the end of last year. 60+ extra points, in a dome, top 10 in terms of field goal attempts, and all 3 divisional opponents in the bottom half of scoring defenses in the league last year (2 in the bottom 6).Have to think he'll be a top 3 kicker if healthy this year. Kasay was top 3 in my league last year, why shouldn't that trend continue?

Last year David Akers headed to San Francisco via free agency, joining a 49ers team that in prior years had not generated very many kicking opportunities. But that was not the case in 2011, as they provided Akers with 34 extra point attempts and 52 field goal attempts - from which he generated an NFL record 166 points out of a possible 190. The highest possible kicking score in league history probably occurred in 1983. The Washington Redskins provided Mark Moseley with 63 extra point attempts and 47 field goal attempts. He converted for 161 points out of a possible 204.

Which NFL teams have provided their kicker with scoring opportunities in recent years?... LINK

Mike. Do you have a good feeling about any of these rookie PK's like an Henery last year. My home league drafts round 1 before NFL draft and Henery went 1.15 last year which was a good safe pick. Any chance to take one with good chance to start out of the gate. I am not feeling that but maybe I am wrong.

What do you think of Forbath's chances now that he got picked up by TB and a few teams put in for him. He seemed like talented PK but after the season Bailey had, they could not hold him anymore.

Mike. Do you have a good feeling about any of these rookie PK's like an Henery last year. My home league drafts round 1 before NFL draft and Henery went 1.15 last year which was a good safe pick. Any chance to take one with good chance to start out of the gate. I am not feeling that but maybe I am wrong. What do you think of Forbath's chances now that he got picked up by TB and a few teams put in for him. He seemed like talented PK but after the season Bailey had, they could not hold him anymore.
There is no consensus top rookie kicker this year. Plus only the Texans currently have a job opening at kicker.TB job is still Barth's, unless he falters or gets hurt. With the expanded roster size, Forbath is probably just a talented camp leg at this juncture.

Who's kicking in New Orleans this coming year, Kasay or Hartley?
Hartley. He's recovered from his hip injury. Kasay is a free agent.
Sweet, he was a FA addition on my dynasty team near the end of last year. 60+ extra points, in a dome, top 10 in terms of field goal attempts, and all 3 divisional opponents in the bottom half of scoring defenses in the league last year (2 in the bottom 6).Have to think he'll be a top 3 kicker if healthy this year. Kasay was top 3 in my league last year, why shouldn't that trend continue?
Now the picture is not as clear. The Saints just resigned Kasay (one-year deal).

Who kicks in CAR and NO this year in your opinion?
These are definitely just opinions at this early stage...NO - HartleyCar - Medlock
Thanks - so not concerned that Mare is still signed in CAR?
I think it will be a very close competition between the two of them, probably down to the end of preseason.Speaking of competitions... the Redskins have signed Neil Rackers to compete against Gano.

Found this on TItans home page

"Additionally, the Titans signed P/K Will Batson from North Alabama, who was undrafted in the 2011 NFL Draft."

Link

Finding the Fits -- Could K Zuerlein prove the Rams' best value pick?

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

As the original owners of the No. 2 overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams follow yesterday's review of the Indianapolis Colts as the next post in NFLDraftScout.com's "Finding the Fits" series. The goal of this series is to identify one relatively unheralded player per team who would appear to be a particularly good schematic fit and therefore more likely to be a surprise contributor early in his respective pro career.

In trading down only four spots, new general manager Les Snead and veteran head coach Jeff Fisher were given a bounty of picks by the Washington Redskins. The Rams will have the Redskins' first round picks in each of the next two drafts, which frankly, they may need because while St. Louis added an awful lot of talent to their roster last weekend, they also drafted several players with a history of making poor decisions off the field - which limits their potential to make a reliable contribution on it.

In fact, the player in best position to make an immediate impact would seem to be kicker Greg Zuerlein, who the Rams selected with the first pick of the sixth round, No. 171 overall. The Rams thought enough of the Missouri Western State product to release veteran kicker Josh Brown. Brown, incidentally, was signed by the New York Jets one day later.

It is easy to understand why the Rams might feel confident in the rookie's chances at making big kicks in the NFL - just take a peek at his statistics. Zuerlein nailed 23 of 24 kicks this year for MWSU and was a perfect nine for nine on kicks over 50+ yards. He showed some grit under pressure too, drilling a 57-yarder late against rival Missouri Southern that wound up being the game-winner. And this was Zuerlein's first year in the program. He'd spent his previous time earning All-American recognition at Nebraska of Omaha, but had to transfer once the university elected to drop football as part of their jump to Division I. As one might expect considering Zuerlein's success as a field goal kicker (of the six field goals he missed in 2010, five were blocked) and kickoff weapon (43.1% of his kicks from 2008-10 went for touchbacks), he was heavily recruited by FCS schools but an eligibility snafu limited his options.

Once the Rams cut Brown they essentially gave Zuerlein the job. Sure, the Rams signed free agent kicker Garrett Lindholm in January and he could, technically, win the job but only if the rookie falls on his face. Once St. Louis drafted Zuerlein, the Rams were essentially "pot-committed." During Jeff Fisher's 16-year run as head coach of the Houston Oilers and Tennessee Titans, his club never invested a draft pick in a kicker.

Perhaps most intriguing for Zuerlein (and possibly hardcore Fantasy Football enthusiasts) will be his fit with Fisher - a relationship that could lead to plenty of field goal opportunities as a rookie. Fisher will demand a ball-control approach that will move the chains with more consistency than the team saw a year ago under offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Furthermore, Fisher has shown uncommon courage in allowing his kickers of the past to attempt long field goals. While under Fisher, current Titans' kicker Rob Bironas attempted 22 field goals over 50+ yards, including a memorable 60-yarder in 2006.

If Zuerlein can continue his deep accuracy in the NFL, he could prove quite the unsung find of the Rams' 2012 draft.

Jaguars kicker Long Ding hopes to make China proud

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Writer

The Jacksonville Jaguars came up short in their quest to lure Tim Tebow back to Florida, but the team has acquired the services of another young man who seems destined to become a fan favorite.

Meet Long Ding, a kicker with one burning desire: To unseat Josh Scobee and become the first native of China to play in the NFL.

Jaguars special teams coach John Bonamego says there's reason to believe after watching the 24-year-old kick in Friday's rookie minicamp:

"I think the kid legitimately has some talent," Bonamego told The Florida Times-Union. "He is a guy you pull for. Like all kickers coming out, he's got to sort of find himself. He is by no means a finished product, but he deserves to be here. I've seen better and I've seen a whole lot worse in camp. We'll see what happens."

Ding first arrived in the U.S. in 2007 from his home in Quig Doa, China. Given the chance to attend high school in New Hampshire as part of the IFAF/USA football program, Ding made significant progress as a kicker.

"That first year I played in New Hampshire it was pretty tough," Ding said. "I was learning a second language. I just realized how to play and learned the rules."

Ding became familiar with the Northeast, but his new locale remains mysterious: "I had no idea where Jacksonville was," Ding said. "I didn't even know it was in Florida."

Back in China, his father drives a truck and his mother is retired. They live in a quaint, two-bedroom apartment. Asked to describe the city, Ding cut to the chase: "A beer town," he said. "Very good beer."

Making an NFL team could mean iconic status for Ding back home, and he's aware of this: "If the dream comes true, that would be cool. Maybe close to Yao Ming. I don’t know."

Ding is winning over teammates at a rapid clip and has only begun to author his NFL story.

Tebow was a nice idea down in Jacksonville, but no need. As our very own Henry Hodgson declared: The age of Dingsanity is upon us.

Users who are viewing this thread