Photo

Shane Vereen vs. Stevan Ridley

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

Poll: New England RB's

Which RB is the one to own?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 BallparkFrank

BallparkFrank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Here's a very cool film study breakdown of some of the versatility Shane Vereen brings to the Patriots from the last preseason game in which he was lined up as a slot receiver on one play and ended up catching a pass from Mallett. I like Ridley a lot, but it will be very interesting to see what Vereen can do with the #1 offense when given a chance in a game as I believe he's the most talented all-around RB on the team which should translate into a lot of snaps with such a pass happy New England offense. This will be a fun camp battle to watch!

#152 flc735

flc735

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Joined 09-August 10

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

could vereen possibly be welkers semi-replacement next year? with those TEs, a 100 catch wr is not as critical to their offense anymore maybe his replacement will be vereen as a 60 catch sproles type and a wr2 as a 40-50 catch 4th option guy

Edited by flc735, 11 August 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#153 BallparkFrank

BallparkFrank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

These are two things that could quickly destroy all the momentum Ridley has built up this preseason:

Brian Hoyer and Stevan Ridley had to run a lap after fumbled hand-off.

Jerod Mayo blew up Ridley on a blitz in 11-on-11s.

Boston Herald practice report

(disclaimer: I own both players)

Edited by BallparkFrank, 13 August 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#154 Time Kibitzer

Time Kibitzer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Joined 06-December 10

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

These are two things that could quickly destroy all the momentum Ridley has built up this preseason:

Yikes, that's one bad practice! Just dropped him in my redraft rankings from having 6th round value to 14th round value, thanks for the heads up.

#155 BallparkFrank

BallparkFrank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Yikes, that's one bad practice! Just dropped him in my redraft rankings from having 6th round value to 14th round value, thanks for the heads up.

As a big fan of sarcasm, myself: :thumbup:

#156 duaneok66

duaneok66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,721 posts
  • Joined 23-July 06

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

I'm a Vereen fan, but still, didn't we already know that? Isn't that why Woodhead played on passing downs this past weekend?? I don't see anything new here.

#157 steelcityman

steelcityman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 851 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

maybe the OL should have taken a lap, if Spikes "blew up" Ridley, sounds like someone missed a block, or maybe Saint Tom didnt audible.

Luck, Locker, John Football

Forte, Ellington, MJD, West and Crowell

D Thomas, A Brown, Cobb, Wright, Britt

Jordan Reed, Kelce

Freese

#158 Kool-Aid Larry

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,405 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

maybe the OL should have taken a lap, if Spikes "blew up" Ridley, sounds like someone missed a block, or maybe Saint Tom didnt audible.

occasionally, a lb will be brought as an extra rusher that the rb needs to pick up with a block.
OH YEAH!

#159 David Yudkin

David Yudkin

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,567 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

I'm starting to miss the old days when an individual play in a practice or a scrimmage did not merit a blog post, an immediate RSS feed, or panic on a message board. There are so many people reporting on training camp these days that seemingly everyone is at risk of getting cut . . . or 20+ undrafted or street free agents on the same team are some how going to make the final roster to break camp. I find it amusing that after years and years of some of this stuff, there really is nothing wrong with PLAYER X, but he ended up "on the bubble" or "at risk of being benched" because he only received one target in 4 preseason games. Or that PLAYER Y really isn't going to break the starting lineup even with a ton of production in the preseason games, and in fact, you really can get cut even if you lit it up all preseason. Trying to keep up with all this stuff will make your head psin, especially when the same guy is GOAT (greatest of all time) one day and a goat the next.
"How do you feel about your team's execution?"- Reporter
"I'm all for it!"- John McKay, former coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Winner of FBG Staff Leagues in 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2011.

#160 tombonneau

tombonneau

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,903 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Apologize I'm traveling so can't link to article but BB just had pretty telling (for him) presser where asked about splits and why he hasn't had a bell cow back since Corey Dillon he said that if 2004 Corey Dillon was on the field he would still be that guy but he hasn't seen that guy on the field for awhile. Basically kind of saying that he hasn't had a feature back more out if talent/player situation and not really offensive philoshy. Hopefully someone can link to it bc I found it interesting and could give really good value to either of Vereen or Ridley if they can prove to be that guy. ETA: Found it. The disappearance of the 300-carry back. Belichick was asked if the days of the bellcow running back are officially over, and his response was pretty sharp. “I’m for whatever helps us win,” he said. “If it’s 500 quarterback sneaks, if that’s the best thing for us, then I’m all for it. If that’s the best thing we can do to win, then sign me up for it.” Informed that since Corey Dillon in 2004, the Patriots haven’t had a bellcow, Belichick deadpanned, “Corey Dillon was good enough to do it. If the Corey Dillon of 2004 was on this roster, I’m sure he’d get it 300 times too. I haven’t seen Corey out there lately.”

Edited by tombonneau, 13 August 2012 - 03:05 PM.

Q: What is your best talent outside of football?

Kenny Irons: ďDrawing. I like to draw, if you consider that a talent. I like to disguise myself as other people, too. I call that a talent. I like telling people that I am somebody else. I tell people that I play water polo and if they ask me what position I play I tell them right water. I donít even know if that is a position but I tell them that I play right water.Ē

#161 DawnBTVS

DawnBTVS

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 25-June 04

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Found it. The disappearance of the 300-carry back. Belichick was asked if the days of the bellcow running back are officially over, and his response was pretty sharp. ďIím for whatever helps us win,Ē he said. ďIf itís 500 quarterback sneaks, if thatís the best thing for us, then Iím all for it. If thatís the best thing we can do to win, then sign me up for it.Ē Informed that since Corey Dillon in 2004, the Patriots havenít had a bellcow, Belichick deadpanned, ďCorey Dillon was good enough to do it. If the Corey Dillon of 2004 was on this roster, Iím sure heíd get it 300 times too. I havenít seen Corey out there lately.Ē

Nice find. Worth noting is that season, Brady only attempted 474 passes too. I think a large reason that NE hasn't "needed" a bellcow RB is because they emphasize the pass and as an offshoot, utilize screens and swing passes in lieu of the running game. That season: Kevin Faulk, Patrick Pass, and Cedric Cobbs all combined for 115 carries themselves. I think if a RB can just stay healthy for 10+ starts they have an outside shot at 200+ carries on the season easily. The problem is that in almost every single season, a RB manages to start 5-7 games and a rotation is utilized out of necessity for health. In 2010, BJGE started 11 games and had 229 carries. Last season injuries hit and he only started 6 games and had 9 games with 10+ carries (and still had 181 carries on the year).

#162 humpback

humpback

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,710 posts
  • Joined 18-February 10

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Apologize I'm traveling so can't link to article but BB just had pretty telling (for him) presser where asked about splits and why he hasn't had a bell cow back since Corey Dillon he said that if 2004 Corey Dillon was on the field he would still be that guy but he hasn't seen that guy on the field for awhile. Basically kind of saying that he hasn't had a feature back more out if talent/player situation and not really offensive philoshy. Hopefully someone can link to it bc I found it interesting and could give really good value to either of Vereen or Ridley if they can prove to be that guy. ETA: Found it. The disappearance of the 300-carry back. Belichick was asked if the days of the bellcow running back are officially over, and his response was pretty sharp. ďIím for whatever helps us win,Ē he said. ďIf itís 500 quarterback sneaks, if thatís the best thing for us, then Iím all for it. If thatís the best thing we can do to win, then sign me up for it.Ē Informed that since Corey Dillon in 2004, the Patriots havenít had a bellcow, Belichick deadpanned, ďCorey Dillon was good enough to do it. If the Corey Dillon of 2004 was on this roster, Iím sure heíd get it 300 times too. I havenít seen Corey out there lately.Ē

It's the same reason a guy like Foster went so cheaply. People constantly complain about coaches like BB, Shanny, Kubiak, etc., but it's pretty misguided IMO. These guys have no problem using a bellcow RB, but they just haven't had one most years. When they have, they've given them a major workload.

#163 ShaHBucks

ShaHBucks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Vereen had some really nice runs vs the Saints especially moving laterally. Ridley was just a better BJGE. I'm shocked this is even a battle comparing the talent of the two.
"Turn that potential into results. Results that can be supported by data. Suddenly it's not potential, it's proven production." -Eminence

~~~~> http://www.football-elite.com/ <~~~~

#164 Ned

Ned

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,141 posts
  • Joined 20-March 06
  • Interests:fantasy football dominatrix

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

occasionally, a lb will be brought as an extra rusher that the rb needs to pick up with a block.

:lol:

#165 Itchy Amos

Itchy Amos

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 579 posts
  • Joined 29-October 07

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

Vereen had some really nice runs vs the Saints especially moving laterally. Ridley was just a better BJGE. I'm shocked this is even a battle comparing the talent of the two.

:rolleyes: Yes, Ridley sure looked horribly while running for 5 yards a pop. Out of his 8 rushes (against the N.O. 1st teamers), he had 3 that were for 8 or 9 yards. If you're comparing him to BJGE because none of his rushes were for a loss, well then in that respect I agree with you. If you're trying to say that Ridley is similar to BJGE either athletically or with what he brings as a runner, then I dont agree. Vereen may prove to be the better back, but Ridley is no slouch.

#166 Bayhawks

Bayhawks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

:rolleyes: Yes, Ridley sure looked horribly while running for 5 yards a pop. Out of his 8 rushes (against the N.O. 1st teamers), he had 3 that were for 8 or 9 yards. If you're comparing him to BJGE because none of his rushes were for a loss, well then in that respect I agree with you. If you're trying to say that Ridley is similar to BJGE either athletically or with what he brings as a runner, then I dont agree. Vereen may prove to be the better back, but Ridley is no slouch.

AND, Vereen was running against 2nd/3rd stringers, while Ridley was running against the 1's. Many RBs can't make the transtition from college to pros because they aren't able to beat NFL players with their speed like they could in college. Vereen having some "really nice runs vs the Saints especially moving laterally," isn't all that telling against players who very likely won't play/start in the NFL. When he gets time against the starters and does it, then we have something to get excited about.

#167 finito

finito

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Joined 22-May 07

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

AND, Vereen was running against 2nd/3rd stringers, while Ridley was running against the 1's. Many RBs can't make the transtition from college to pros because they aren't able to beat NFL players with their speed like they could in college. Vereen having some "really nice runs vs the Saints especially moving laterally," isn't all that telling against players who very likely won't play/start in the NFL. When he gets time against the starters and does it, then we have something to get excited about.

Agree with this, though I must say I'm really hoping to see Vereen get a shot against the first teamers to see what he can do.

#168 ShaHBucks

ShaHBucks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Agree with this, though I must say I'm really hoping to see Vereen get a shot against the first teamers to see what he can do.

What makes you think I didn't consider that fact that Vereen seen most of his time with the second-third team? When the first team was out it was more of a tandem with Ridley/Woodhead, which can be something Belichek will do this year. And Ridley played with the second stringers some too, I notices that because I had to double check if that was his number. Then i realized hes not a seasoned vet and Belichek does that, seen him leave starters in during preseason games before. I seen Ridley run off tackle and like BJGE he got what was there, when ever it was make a guy miss for a big run time he was tackled. If that was 5 yards so be it. And he didn't get a target. He just looks a lot better at being BJGE, that's not really a knock it's what I see. Vereen, against 3rd stringers for the forum police, wowed me the way he ran being so fast and shifty. One play he almost took for about 70 yards, Im glad he didn't.I noticed the empty backfield play and didn't need to read the breakdown posted above. I'm watching this situation and want to get it right just like you, Round 1 went to Vereen.

Edited by ShaHBucks, 14 August 2012 - 09:24 PM.

"Turn that potential into results. Results that can be supported by data. Suddenly it's not potential, it's proven production." -Eminence

#169 Lott's Fingertip

Lott's Fingertip

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,934 posts
  • Joined 05-June 04

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

When he gets time against the starters and does it, then we have something to get excited about.

Week 11, 2011, vs KC: 4 5:01 27 - 3 2nd-and-7 opp 36 rushed for 4 yards 4 4:56 27 - 3 3rd-and-3 opp 32 rushed for 2 yards 4 3:38 27 - 3 1st-and-10 opp 28 rushed for -3 yards 4 3:33 27 - 3 2nd-and-13 opp 31 rushed for 10 yards 4 2:48 27 - 3 3rd-and-3 opp 21 rushed for 19 yards (first down) 4 2:40 27 - 3 1st-and-2 opp 2 rushed for 1 yards 4 1:10 27 - 3 3rd-and-6 opp 6 rushed for 2 yards 4 1:05 27 - 3 4th-and-4 opp 4 rushed for 4 yards TOUCHDOWN 8 for 39 and a TD, with several of the attempts in short yardage situations. The fact of the matter is that both these RBs are talented and will probably be effective. Outside of injury, neither is likely to get the touches needed to have more than a RB2 ceiling.
ALL running backs get injured. Those who have not gotten injured, just have not gotten injured YET. - Pro football reference
You cannot predict injuries, even though you think you can. - "Injury prone" and recency bias.

I suppose it's fine with me if you want to disagree with an entire branch of mathematics... that's your prerogative.

- SSOG

#170 ShaHBucks

ShaHBucks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

When he gets time against the starters and does it, then we have something to get excited about.

Week 11, 2011, vs KC: 4 5:01 27 - 3 2nd-and-7 opp 36 rushed for 4 yards 4 4:56 27 - 3 3rd-and-3 opp 32 rushed for 2 yards 4 3:38 27 - 3 1st-and-10 opp 28 rushed for -3 yards 4 3:33 27 - 3 2nd-and-13 opp 31 rushed for 10 yards 4 2:48 27 - 3 3rd-and-3 opp 21 rushed for 19 yards (first down) 4 2:40 27 - 3 1st-and-2 opp 2 rushed for 1 yards 4 1:10 27 - 3 3rd-and-6 opp 6 rushed for 2 yards 4 1:05 27 - 3 4th-and-4 opp 4 rushed for 4 yards TOUCHDOWN 8 for 39 and a TD, with several of the attempts in short yardage situations. The fact of the matter is that both these RBs are talented and will probably be effective. Outside of injury, neither is likely to get the touches needed to have more than a RB2 ceiling.

Monday night football! Don't quote me but the NE starters may have been out at this point where it was clear they was running the ball. Nice reference. And it might be too late to pick him up when he running with the first team

#171 Mapmaker

Mapmaker

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 989 posts
  • Joined 20-June 04

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

Mike Reiss, ESPN Shane Vereen healthy and excited http://espn.go.com/b...eady-contribute

Edited by Mapmaker, 15 August 2012 - 05:36 AM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Are ya feelin' lucky"? ........... Harry Callaghan

#172 BallparkFrank

BallparkFrank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

:rolleyes: Yes, Ridley sure looked horribly while running for 5 yards a pop. Out of his 8 rushes (against the N.O. 1st teamers), he had 3 that were for 8 or 9 yards. If you're comparing him to BJGE because none of his rushes were for a loss, well then in that respect I agree with you. If you're trying to say that Ridley is similar to BJGE either athletically or with what he brings as a runner, then I dont agree.

Vereen may prove to be the better back, but Ridley is no slouch.

Personally, I think this is a bit overrated as a RB playing WITH the Patriots first team offense and Tom Brady is probably at a bigger advantage than a backup RB (2nd team offense) playing against a 2nd team defense. When defenses play against Brady, stopping the RB is the least of their worries so running lanes should be available and obviously Brady and the starters are 100x better than their backups. The Patriots really need to work Vereen into some first team snaps the rest of the preseason to see what they have in game situations.

I also disagree that Vereen's performance against the Saints "isn't all that telling". I think he clearly displayed that he has a superior all around skill set than any other RB on the Patriots. Throw out the stats and just look at the talent. He may not have the workhorse body to withstand a full load like Ridley, but he can do it all.

Mike Reiss had a solid article about Vereen this morning and his making surge the past week or so, fwiw. I have both and sadly, I think Ridley and Vereen will cancel each other out in a lot of ways this season.

Edited by BallparkFrank, 15 August 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#173 BallparkFrank

BallparkFrank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

per Greg Bedard from the practice field today:

Shane Vereen got his most work overall and with the first team all camp.

#174 duaneok66

duaneok66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,721 posts
  • Joined 23-July 06

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

"See! Making progress!!"

#175 RBM

RBM

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,133 posts
  • Joined 03-August 03

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

What a mess

#176 solorca

solorca

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,497 posts
  • Joined 28-July 10

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

I am loving Shane Vereen in the 10th or 11th round, which is where I've been grabbing him in mocks. I'm not a huge fan, but I think he has potential to be a good stash on the bench, with little investment. If this news raises his ADP though, I'll probably pass.

@dereksdaycare on twitter

#177 Sabertooth

Sabertooth

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,637 posts
  • Joined 06-May 03

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

What a mess

Yep.

Kiss the Rings.  All 13 of them.  

#178 duaneok66

duaneok66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,721 posts
  • Joined 23-July 06

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

I am loving Shane Vereen in the 10th or 11th round, which is where I've been grabbing him in mocks. I'm not a huge fan, but I think he has potential to be a good stash on the bench, with little investment. If this news raises his ADP though, I'll probably pass.

we will see what happens this weekend.

#179 werdnoynek

werdnoynek

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,755 posts
  • Joined 05-September 09

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

:popcorn:

#180 strong

strong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Joined 29-August 05

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

Accoding to Greg Bedard:

Shane Vereen saw a dramatic uptick in overall reps and also those with the first team and seemed to capitalize on the opportunity with some nice runs. Stevan Ridley took a back seat to Vereen, likely because of Ridleyís fumble on Tuesday.

(Facial symmetry isn't randomly attractive. It's attractive precisely because it signals good health. Genetically, we're all coded to have pretty much perfectly symmetrical faces. Imperfections in bilateral symmetry often result from pathogenic or parasitic infection during development. The absence of such imperfections signals a strong immune system important for good overall health -- and good quarterbacking.)

#181 ShaHBucks

ShaHBucks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

So much for those 5ypc Itchy Amos and Bayhawks lol. I have to side with talent, same situation in Washington with Helu and Royster, I'm not comfortable drafting guys who's backups are better than them. Vereen looks faster, more agile, better hands, a lot stronger and was the higher pick in last years draft. That's not debatable. If he made one more guy miss all the experts who just glace at boxscores would be saying the same, so would you if you watched the game. I'm more intrigued with his potential to be featured in such a great offense and not so much like he's the most talented guy ever. Woodhead and Ridley had a shot at one point or another and haven't ran away with the job yet. You get a chance to bet on the best horse at a better price, you can't beat that.

Edited by ShaHBucks, 15 August 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#182 AngryPatriot

AngryPatriot

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Joined 13-August 04

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:51 AM

I'm not sure anyone is supposed to run away with the job. Woodhead and Ridley will get work... the team passes a ton... only Bellichick knows the mind of Bellichick. There's talk of a lot more screens this year (McDaniels) and I'd personally love to see Woodhead on the end of a ton of those. The bossman doesn't necessarily seem to care, in a weird way, who's faster, more agile but who can get 3 yards when they need 2. Green-Ellis wasn't more agile and faster than maybe any back in the league but he was dependable and smart about it. It's a fantasy gamble.

#183 BallparkFrank

BallparkFrank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Ridley being "benched" again for fumbling issues is the really troubling part. Most of his value is tied to him getting the BJGE role - a role BJGE had because he was dependable and never fumbled. Belichick doesn't strike me as the type of coach that would employ a fumbler as his goal line specialist. As a Ridley/Vereen owner, I don't know what to cheer for these days as I've come to the conclusion that I'm basically screwed no matter what.

#184 LawFitz

LawFitz

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,395 posts
  • Joined 24-May 05

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

RBBC hell.

#185 DawnBTVS

DawnBTVS

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 25-June 04

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

I think if FF owners learn the roles and expectations (and pay attention to "little" details) they could save themselves some grief. Here is basically what we know. - Stevan Ridley was impressive last season and is expected to be the first back on 1st and 2nd Downs. However, he had fumbling issues (that resulted in a benching during the playoffs) and already is showing fumbling issues in practices. I think it's pretty safe to say that if he fumbles in a regular season game or two, he won't have a long leash at all. Something to keep an eye on. - Shane Vereen will be the back to spell Ridley on 2nd downs and will be competing with Woodhead for 3rd Downs. He has the shown the ability to be versatile (including being split wide ala Kevin Faulk in his heyday) and thus far has not shown a tendency to fumble like Ridley. Can become the starter if Ridley keeps fumbling and Vereen shows enough toughness to handle getting 1st and 2nd Down carries. - Danny Woodhead is the X Factor really. Can and will be in the 3rd Down battle. Has a history of being utilized on screens and is a willing blocker on 3rd Downs but tends to struggle due to height. Could be utilized more on 3rd Downs or split wide as a WR while Ridley and Vereen split the 1st and 2nd Down reps. Given the ball security issues with Ridley, I'd rather take Vereen (and maybe even Woodhead) in the later rounds and hope they become prominent factors for PPR leagues. New England runs a lot of No Huddle, which tends to favor skill sets where a RB can handle draws, pass protect, and split out wide when going empty.

#186 Sweet Love

Sweet Love

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,530 posts
  • Joined 03-September 03
  • Interests:Voodoo women named Phyllis

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm starting to miss the old days when an individual play in a practice or a scrimmage did not merit a blog post, an immediate RSS feed, or panic on a message board. There are so many people reporting on training camp these days that seemingly everyone is at risk of getting cut . . . or 20+ undrafted or street free agents on the same team are some how going to make the final roster to break camp. I find it amusing that after years and years of some of this stuff, there really is nothing wrong with PLAYER X, but he ended up "on the bubble" or "at risk of being benched" because he only received one target in 4 preseason games. Or that PLAYER Y really isn't going to break the starting lineup even with a ton of production in the preseason games, and in fact, you really can get cut even if you lit it up all preseason. Trying to keep up with all this stuff will make your head psin, especially when the same guy is GOAT (greatest of all time) one day and a goat the next.

I always keep a couple of magazines on hand for portable reading and I do like some of the indepth stuff. I tend to go back over them after the year is over and into the next year, and what I have found is that barring an injury that occurs between press and Game 1, they really are not that far off of what was projected by services a week or so before the season. Sure, there are always cases where a guy beats out someone else in the preseason and we need to know that, but you are right in that there is a lot of speculation out there and almost too many varying positions. For the writers it's easy to write 100 letters/words whatever Twitter allows you at the moment, but to take that information, think about it on the ride home, and then really digest what happened at the particular camp that day and write an article.

IBL 2014:

Roster:

QB - Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill

RB - Reggie Bush, Rashad Jennings, Chris Johnson, Bryce Brown

WR - Julio Jones, Alshon Jeffrey, Larry Fitzgerald, Emmanuel Sanders, Kelvin Benjamin, Danny Amendola, Mike Williams, Rod Streater

TE - Martellus Bennett, Tyler Eifert

DEF - Cincinnati Bengals

K - Stephen Gostkowski

#187 ponchsox

ponchsox

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,753 posts
  • Joined 07-September 10

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

It sounds like if you draft one, you pretty much have to draft the other. Unless they fall really late, I'm avoiding this mess altogether.

#188 BallparkFrank

BallparkFrank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

The daily drama is going to kill me over a full season :popcorn: :

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard

Tavon Wilson and Stevan Ridley each having leg injuries looked at. Don't appear overly serious.

#189 Shutout

Shutout

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,840 posts
  • Joined 15-March 10

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Ok, nobody mentioned Bolden so its probably him that ends up coming out of this mess by November :) Apparently, from what BB is saying is that none of these guys are showing the attributes that would make him turn a truly significant role over to any of them and given that he has spent a year with both Ridley and Vareen , you kinda think he would know.

#190 BallparkFrank

BallparkFrank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Boston Herald

Running back Stevan Ridley injured his right leg (knee?) midway through practice and didnít return. He was stretching it out on the sideline, putting weight on it and hobbling around, which was a fortuitous sign. But itís definitely an important injury to monitor.

#191 karmarooster

karmarooster

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 13-August 09

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

It sounds like if you draft one, you pretty much have to draft the other. Unless they fall really late, I'm avoiding this mess altogether.

I dont think so. I just drafted Vereen in a .5 PPR league as about RB50. You can take a late flier on him, maybe he develops, or maybe he doesn't and the backfield is too unclear to figure out, and its a wasted pick. At the point in the draft, it's worth it. There's no reason to double my risk exposure to Bellichick by taking both of them, Ridley likely at 6th-8th round price tag.

#192 BallparkFrank

BallparkFrank

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Right hamstring injury for Ridley per Greg Bedard.

#193 Bayhawks

Bayhawks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I dont think so. I just drafted Vereen in a .5 PPR league as about RB50. You can take a late flier on him, maybe he develops, or maybe he doesn't and the backfield is too unclear to figure out, and its a wasted pick. At the point in the draft, it's worth it. There's no reason to double my risk exposure to Bellichick by taking both of them, Ridley likely at 6th-8th round price tag.

Agreed, especially if this hammy issue lingers for Ridley. He is worth a 6-8 round pick, if you expect him to get 200+ carries, (approximately) 1000 yards, & (around) 10 TDs. If he misses some time, Vereen has the opportunity to seize a bigger role, making his current ADP a value pick, & Ridley a reach.

#194 duaneok66

duaneok66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,721 posts
  • Joined 23-July 06

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

this thing is still a mess. Vereen did little in the game (vs Eagles) and Ridley is playing in the middle of the 4th quarter.

#195 Bayhawks

Bayhawks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

So much for those 5ypc Itchy Amos and Bayhawks lol. I have to side with talent, same situation in Washington with Helu and Royster, I'm not comfortable drafting guys who's backups are better than them. Vereen looks faster, more agile, better hands, a lot stronger and was the higher pick in last years draft. That's not debatable. If he made one more guy miss all the experts who just glace at boxscores would be saying the same, so would you if you watched the game. I'm more intrigued with his potential to be featured in such a great offense and not so much like he's the most talented guy ever. Woodhead and Ridley had a shot at one point or another and haven't ran away with the job yet. You get a chance to bet on the best horse at a better price, you can't beat that.

So much for Vereen looking faster, more agile ShaHBucks lol. :P Seriously, though-2 YPC, not good. With Ridley losing the tenuous hold he had on the lead RB role, and Vereen not really seizing that role, it looks to me like RBBC. If you think Vereen will step up and be "The guy" at some point this year (and you feel he's a value at his ADP), take him. He could be the home-run pick that wins you your league. For me, with Ridley's ADP where it is (although it could be coming down, now), he's not worth it.

#196 Scooby1974

Scooby1974

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

To be fair, I just watched the game and the run blocking was poor for NE. Vereen looked decent, but with little running room against a tough and very deep Philly front 4, I don't know what to think about NE's running game moving forward.

#197 Bayhawks

Bayhawks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

To be fair, I just watched the game and the run blocking was poor for NE. Vereen looked decent, but with little running room against a tough and very deep Philly front 4, I don't know what to think about NE's running game moving forward.

That is true. I'm not sure they've rounded into form yet. That being said, MUCH was being made about Vereen's performance against 2nd & 3rd stringers in the 1st preseason game in previous posts. If someone were inclined to be very high on Vereen because of his performance in that game, they would have to take this performance as a step backward (or at the very least, a failure to step up).

#198 Jail

Jail

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts
  • Joined 02-May 08

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

So much for Vereen looking faster, more agile ShaHBucks lol. :P Seriously, though-2 YPC, not good. With Ridley losing the tenuous hold he had on the lead RB role, and Vereen not really seizing that role, it looks to me like RBBC. If you think Vereen will step up and be "The guy" at some point this year (and you feel he's a value at his ADP), take him. He could be the home-run pick that wins you your league. For me, with Ridley's ADP where it is (although it could be coming down, now), he's not worth it.

Missed the game. So who did he have playing with him? I don't see Brady, Gronk, Welker, Hernandez or even Lloyd in the stats. Was this new England's second unit playing against the Eagle's first unit? If so, you can't judge anything on this game.
They've done studies, you know? 60% of the time it works every time.-Michael Scott

#199 ShaHBucks

ShaHBucks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,810 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Lol I doubt you even watched the game. Just a cliff note, it was NE backups vs Philly swarming 1st team running defence, end of story. Only plays worth noting was in the pass game where Vereen is light years ahead of Ridley. Three targets and no catches, one screen play Ridley didn't even turn his head to look at the ball. Bellicheck is a weird dude with players making stupid mistakes(see Chad Johnson). They also played together on one play, Ridley stayed in to block, Vereen ran a rout. That was interesting.

Edited by ShaHBucks, 21 August 2012 - 01:23 AM.

#200 Ed Stephens

Ed Stephens

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 20-August 12

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

Unless you're a Dynasty and deep roster league, NE backs will never reach strong RB2 status in any other format. With Woodhead getting the majority of short targets anyway, what's left besides the occassional screen. Vereen has trouble with blitz packages so if I had to it would be Ridley for the long haul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users