#1 John Bender

John Bender

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,688 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

Pretty simple question: Is there a device I can buy or that you would recommend that would allow me to toggle between using my desktop and laptop with the SAME Keyboard and Mouse with just the push of a button? I'd like to switch back and forth frequently but use the same exact USB keyboard and mouse for each device. TIA

#2 SacramentoBob

SacramentoBob

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,165 posts
  • Joined 18-February 10
  • Interests:You know what I'm about.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/KVM_switch

Dude, I make $1,600 a month.  

#3 Aquaman

Aquaman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Joined 16-September 03

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:48 AM

KVM http://www.amazon.co...29832098&sr=8-2

#4 John Bender

John Bender

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,688 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

Exactly what I needed. Thank you.

#5 3C's

3C's

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,187 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

I bought a belkin kvm on ebay some time ago for something like $.01 I'm sure the guy would have wanted more but them's the breaks.

#6 Statcruncher

Statcruncher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,795 posts
  • Joined 04-September 07

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

I used a KVM to use the same keyboard and monitor while switching between my main desktop and an old 486 for gaming. It worked easily with the touch of button except for a few minor things. The keyboard repeat speed (how quick it repeats when you hold down a key) always reset to the slowest setting whenever I used the KVM to toggled between the computers. It would go back to normal once the computers were restarted. Second, if my main computer with a laser mouse went into sleep mode while I was KVM switched to the 486 computer I would have to restart the main computer so it could find the laser mouse. Minor problems but could be annoying at times.

#7 John Bender

John Bender

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,688 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

The only I'm facing now is the computer resolution. When I switch the laptop it resets the computer resolution to crappy setting for my desktop files. I need to figure that out. Everything is big and slightly distorted every time I swap it back to the PC.

#8 Ned

Ned

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,164 posts
  • Joined 20-March 06
  • Interests:fantasy football dominatrix

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

I use this. All you have is the little button on your desk and it works flawlessly.

#9 John Bender

John Bender

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,688 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

I use this. All you have is the little button on your desk and it works flawlessly.

that's the one I just got at Radioshack (was actually only 25 bucks).

The computer resolution has gone to #### though. both screens are enlarged and blurry. I have windows Vista.

Any ideas Ned?

#10 Ned

Ned

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,164 posts
  • Joined 20-March 06

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

The computer resolution has gone to #### though. both screens are enlarged and blurry. I have windows Vista.

Any ideas Ned?

That's weird since I'm switching between XP and Windows 7 machines and don't have any resolution issues. :shrug:

Dumb question, but worth asking. Do you have the same driver installed in both machines?

Edited by Ned, 21 February 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#11 footballnerd

footballnerd

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,377 posts
  • Joined 01-October 07

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

Just curious why you would want to run two PCs, is it just to have two monitors going at the same time?

#12 John Bender

John Bender

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,688 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Any ideas Ned?

That's weird since I'm switching between XP and Windows 7 machines and don't have any resolution issues. :shrug:

Dumb question, but worth asking. Do you have the same driver installed in both machines?

Not sure Ned. It didn't prompt me to install any drivers. Literally just hooked it up and went.

#13 John Bender

John Bender

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,688 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

Just curious why you would want to run two PCs, is it just to have two monitors going at the same time?

no problem. I have a really small desk and a work laptop and my main desktop PC. My legs only fit under the desk in one place, right underneath my main HD monitor. It was just getting annoying having to stretch and awkwardly use my work laptop sitting right next to my desktop. Also enjoying using a real keyboard and mouse - the mousepad on the laptop is really flukey and weird once in a while. This allows me to just pop a button and switch back and forth and stay at home plate without the back and forth. I know, I know - first world problems.

#14 SacramentoBob

SacramentoBob

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,165 posts
  • Joined 18-February 10
  • Interests:You know what I'm about.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

You could always just Remote Desktop into the other machine. That's the free solution.

Dude, I make $1,600 a month.  

#15 Ned

Ned

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,164 posts
  • Joined 20-March 06

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

no problem. I have a really small desk and a work laptop and my main desktop PC. My legs only fit under the desk in one place, right underneath my main HD monitor. It was just getting annoying having to stretch and awkwardly use my work laptop sitting right next to my desktop. Also enjoying using a real keyboard and mouse - the mousepad on the laptop is really flukey and weird once in a while. This allows me to just pop a button and switch back and forth and stay at home plate without the back and forth. I know, I know - first world problems.

That's exactly how and why I use it. Keeps work separate from 'home'. RE: driver. Sorry I meant the monitor's driver, not the switch (I dont think there's any software at all).

#16 LAUNCH

LAUNCH

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

Synergy

Just need to be on a network.

#17 Chaka

Chaka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31,296 posts
  • Joined 10-August 03

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Buy a bigger desk.
The only thing Americans fear is inconvenience.

#18 footballnerd

footballnerd

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,377 posts
  • Joined 01-October 07

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

That's exactly how and why I use it. Keeps work separate from 'home'. RE: driver. Sorry I meant the monitor's driver, not the switch (I dont think there's any software at all).

Ah def can see why you would want to keep personal and work separate

#19 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,849 posts
  • Joined 25-June 04

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Synergy

Just need to be on a network.

:goodposting:

This is an awesome setup for using the same KB/Mouse with multiple PCs. It can be a bit tricky to setup, but once it is setup you just mouse from one screen to the other, and it works just like you are using a KB/Mouse on that machine. Note: it can be a bit laggy occasionally, so I wouldn't try to play games over it probably, but for normal use, it is the best solution I have used. I prefer it to Remote Desktop, personally.
Go Vikings!

#20 footballnerd

footballnerd

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,377 posts
  • Joined 01-October 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

no problem. I have a really small desk and a work laptop and my main desktop PC. My legs only fit under the desk in one place, right underneath my main HD monitor. It was just getting annoying having to stretch and awkwardly use my work laptop sitting right next to my desktop. Also enjoying using a real keyboard and mouse - the mousepad on the laptop is really flukey and weird once in a while. This allows me to just pop a button and switch back and forth and stay at home plate without the back and forth.

I know, I know - first world problems.

If you didn't pick one up yet, I just came across this sale for a KVM Switch, $5 after rebate

#21 Nick Vermeil

Nick Vermeil

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,749 posts
  • Joined 24-May 04

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

Does anyone have a DVI KVM switch recommendation?

(Fennis @ Feb 2 2010, 01:55 PM) I searched for dick. my mistake.

#22 Nick Vermeil

Nick Vermeil

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,749 posts
  • Joined 24-May 04

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Bump for weekday nerds.

#23 dfwboiler

dfwboiler

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined 09-October 05

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Although it doesn't have the best of reviews, I have this one and it works fine for me: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B001BTWSLI They also make a 2 port version that's around $125.

#24 GoFishTN

GoFishTN

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,646 posts
  • Joined 09-August 03

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Although it doesn't have the best of reviews, I have this one and it works fine for me: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B001BTWSLI They also make a 2 port version that's around $125.

We just hooked some of these up at work and no issues so far.

#25 Nick Vermeil

Nick Vermeil

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,749 posts
  • Joined 24-May 04

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Thanks guys :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users