#1 Maude

Maude

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

The Punch Brothers are a five-piece bluegrass band. The unofficial leader is the mandolin player Chris Thile. The dude is simply amazing. Anyway, I got tickets to see these guys, and I am super excited. I saw Thile several years ago when he was with Nickel Creek. Nickel Creek have since split, and Thile put together some of the best bluegrass players in the world to form Punch Brothers.

Anybody seen 'em? Any show reviews? Here are a couple of vids.

Patchwork Girlfriend

Beatles cover - Paperback Writer

One of several Radiohead covers - Morning Bell

#2 Claydon

Claydon

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1,733 posts
  • Joined 09-December 07
  • Interests: hookers
    blow
    more of the above

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Love them.

Reptilia(Strokes Cover)
Rye Whiskey
Most people who read The Communist Manifesto probably have no idea that it was written by a couple of young men who had never worked a day in their lives, and who nevertheless spoke boldly in the name of "the workers"."
~Thomas Sowell

Your "right to health care" would require some other person to give up a portion of their life or their property to either treat you or to provide you with drugs or medical implements. The Constitution does not provide for another individual to be indentured to you in this manner. Therefore, you have no "right" to health care.
Deal with it.

#3 Maude

Maude

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Rye Whiskey

Love this tune. They played this song on David Letterman with Steve Martin on banjo. For those who don't know, Steve Martin is a very accomplished bluegrass banjo player.

Dueling Banjos

Atheists Don't Have No Songs

Edited by Maude, 14 March 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#4 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,829 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thile is mindblowing. First time I saw him was a mandolin workshop at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, probably 11 or 12 years ago. Forget if it was '00 or '01, but it was him, Sam Bush, and Grisman. He did Song for a Princess, which is a piece he wrote inspired by Natalie Portman, and when he was done Sam and Grisman got on their knees and bowed in "we're not worthy" fashion. He is probably among the five best mandolin players ever and will often leave you in awe. If you want to see him play off the leash, see him play with the big boys at Telluride. Gabe Witcher is a madman, too. Seen him with a number of different acts, most notably with the Bluegrass Sessions Band when they toured in '02(?). When you're asked to go on tour and play with Jerry Douglass, Sam Bush, Edgar Meyer, Bryan Sutton, and Bela Fleck, you're doing something special. That said, I have only heard a few tracks from the Punch Brothers. Bluegrass these days is something I'm only really interested in hearing live.

#5 Maude

Maude

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

Thile is mindblowing. First time I saw him was a mandolin workshop at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, probably 11 or 12 years ago. Forget if it was '00 or '01, but it was him, Sam Bush, and Grisman. He did Song for a Princess, which is a piece he wrote inspired by Natalie Portman, and when he was done Sam and Grisman got on their knees and bowed in "we're not worthy" fashion. He is probably among the five best mandolin players ever and will often leave you in awe. If you want to see him play off the leash, see him play with the big boys at Telluride. Gabe Witcher is a madman, too. Seen him with a number of different acts, most notably with the Bluegrass Sessions Band when they toured in '02(?). When you're asked to go on tour and play with Jerry Douglass, Sam Bush, Edgar Meyer, Bryan Sutton, and Bela Fleck, you're doing something special. That said, I have only heard a few tracks from the Punch Brothers. Bluegrass these days is something I'm only really interested in hearing live.

Very cool man. I've always been a fan of Bela Fleck. That dude is at the top when it comes to bluegrass. Will look into these guys. I first saw Thile with Nickel Creek on Austin City Limits TV show in the early 00's. I was blown away from the very first time I saw them play. I later saw them at ACL festival in 2002 or 2003. My wife and I saw them sometime after that at a local gig. After the show, my wife and I were walking back to our car, and we noticed a group of about 10 people gathered under an overpass. Thile was playing unplugged for about 20-30 minutes under this bridge for the small group. He seemed a little drunk, but was very gracious and took requests if he happened to know the tune. This was absolutely one of the coolest performances I have ever witnessed. I cannot explain to those who are not familiar with the genre, but this show is one of the most anticipatied shows I can recall in quite some time.

#6 Maude

Maude

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Flippen... so ####### badass.

#7 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,829 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

http://www.bluegrass...22-punch-blind4 Check out the House Band stuff in the pull down menu. That's the band I was referring to with J. Do, Bela, Sam, Bryan Sutton, and Edgar Meyer, this time using Luke Bulla on fiddle instead of Witcher. There's a whole bunch of old Telluride Bluegrass Festival video that has gone up on youtube and Google video in the last few years. I recommend combing through it. Especially any John Hartford or New Grass Revival/Sam Bush stuff. If you like acoustic music, those four days every year are heaven on Earth.

#8 snitwitch

snitwitch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,294 posts
  • Joined 19-August 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

these guys are the real deal

Nah, only dead fish "go with the flow."

#9 E-Z Glider

E-Z Glider

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,125 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

do they have any good studio stuff or quality live recordings?

#10 Maude

Maude

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Wife bought tix to see Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau for my birthday. Gonna be an awesome show.

#11 Guster

Guster

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,973 posts
  • Joined 04-November 04

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Been listening to their cover of Josh Ritter's Another New World nonstop recently :thumbup:

Abe naming a child Cash is like me naming a child Pigment.

I would happily eat her afterbirth.

I never knew the kids live with mom n dad basically their whole life.

#12 Abraham

Abraham

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,415 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Saw thile with Radney foster at te continental 12 years ago. Dude can play.

There's a science to walking through windows.

#13 Monsieur Meursault

Monsieur Meursault

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Joined 18-May 08

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

This is effing amazing. Thile and Jon Brion improv'ing the musical score to fit the movie Stepbrothers with Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly.

Edited by Monsieur Meursault, 11 December 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#14 BigJohn

BigJohn

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,148 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

:blackdot:

#15 rubrink

rubrink

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined 07-September 05

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

I saw them as an opener earlier this year. Had never heard of them, but they were absolutely amazing

#16 Britney Spears

Britney Spears

guest speaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,708 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Paging GM.

Britney Spears is the smartest person on this message board.

Who is the most inspirational person in your life?

Josh... aka Britney Spears

#17 Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,909 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

This is effing amazing. Thile and Jon Brion improving the musical score to fit the movie Stepbrothers with Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly.

Everything I've seen from Thile is practically supernatural.

#1 fan of Michael Brantley

#18 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,829 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Saw them last month at the 930 and they were predictably great.

MIND. BLOWN.

#19 BigJohn

BigJohn

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,148 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

I'm more impressed he can concentrate with the idiots in the crowd.

#20 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,829 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Love the guy around 1:50 who finally blows a gasket.

#21 Swing 51

Swing 51

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Joined 26-August 05

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

Love the music these guys put out but Thile's voice bugs me. That said, a couple of weekends ago the local Bluegrass station here in DC area rebroadcasted the show PB played at the Savannah Arts and Music Festival in 2010 and that show ####### rocks. Do these guys have any live albums?

Take your flunky and dangle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users