352 replies to this topic

#1 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,291 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08
  • Interests:Cooking, grilling, Clemson Athletics, beer, bourbon, reading, toga parties. Bullfrogs.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

Let's make this the thread where we speculate on closers and life and love. or just the closer position. either or.

#2 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,291 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08
  • Interests:Cooking, grilling, Clemson Athletics, beer, bourbon, reading, toga parties. Bullfrogs.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

what are the chances this Addison Reed guy gets the job in Chicago?

#3 Wrigley

Wrigley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Joined 01-October 05
  • Interests:Little of this, little of that

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

what are the chances this Addison Reed guy gets the job in Chicago?

We already know Thornton can't get it done......Reed will run with it once he gets the chance.

It's human nature to stick with traditional beliefs, even after they outlast any conceivable utility.- Jim Pinkerton
Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear- George Orwell

XBL: MASTERH8

My god, Wrigley sucks.

how I live my life

#4 Smack Tripper

Smack Tripper

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,694 posts
  • Joined 28-May 04

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

I think Tampa can win a lot of games. What can we expect for Farns? I had a choice of him, Marshall and Francisco as waiver wire closers and I took Marshall, but I'm on the fence about it
The smack is back!!

#5 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,291 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

I think Tampa can win a lot of games. What can we expect for Farns? I had a choice of him, Marshall and Francisco as waiver wire closers and I took Marshall, but I'm on the fence about it

marshall is the better pitcher. not sure how he will do in the closer's roll though. The Reds will win a lot of games in the NL central so i think its a good gamble on your part.

#6 LOCO

LOCO

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

Motte will finish as #1 closer. That is a weak division and now that the manager is gone he will nail down the job.

#7 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,291 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Motte will finish as #1 closer. That is a weak division and now that the manager is gone he will nail down the job.

id bet on Mo as always.

#8 the moops

the moops

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,936 posts
  • Joined 21-November 06

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

Who would you rather have from these closers, or closers in waiting? Broxton, Crow, or Holland? Thortnton, Addison, or Crain? Johnson, Gregg, or Lindstrom? Guerra or Jansen?

#9 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,291 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

Who would you rather have from these closers, or closers in waiting? Broxton, Crow, or Holland? Thortnton, Addison, or Crain? Johnson, Gregg, or Lindstrom? Guerra or Jansen?

broxton addison reed i hvae no idea

#10 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66,344 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:#beefsparade #tournamentofhotdogs

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Holland Reed Lindstrom Jansen

E il mio non le dice niente?

Helping disabled veterans: Wounded Warrior Project

#11 the moops

the moops

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,936 posts
  • Joined 21-November 06

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Holland Reed Lindstrom Jansen

To add to this question. I currently have Broxton, Johnson, Thornton, and Jansen. Farnsworth is my only other RP, so I need saves, for sure. Is there any news on those closer situations, or is it still speculation? Everyone besides Guerra is available in my league.

Edited by the moops, 27 March 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#12 rascal

rascal

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,918 posts
  • Joined 13-September 05

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Who would you rather have from these closers, or closers in waiting?

Broxton, Crow, or Holland?

Thortnton, Addison, or Crain?

Johnson, Gregg, or Lindstrom?

Guerra or Jansen?

Holland
Reed
Lindstrom
Jansen

To add to this question. I currently have Broxton, Johnson, Thornton, and Jansen. Farnsworth is my only other RP, so I need saves, for sure.

Is there any news on those closer situations, or is it still speculation? Everyone besides Guerra is available in my league.

Speculation. I'm in the same boat as I have no RPs and a higher waiver priority got Marshall.

#13 Mr. Know-It-All

Mr. Know-It-All

Booger Eatin' Moron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined 15-January 04
  • Interests:Knowing Stuff

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Guerra or Jansen?

Holland
Reed
Lindstrom
Jansen

To add to this question. I currently have Broxton, Johnson, Thornton, and Jansen. Farnsworth is my only other RP, so I need saves, for sure.

Is there any news on those closer situations, or is it still speculation? Everyone besides Guerra is available in my league.

Speculation. I'm in the same boat as I have no RPs and a higher waiver priority got Marshall.

The word I am hearing is Holland is the better long term option but Broxton will get the chance to lose the job. The kid they have in AAA (Kelvin Herrera) is very good but at least one season if not two away from the show.

Thornton will get first crack at it but he is better at setup than closing so Reed will get it by May. Whether he hold sit is another story.

I really like Lindstrom as a sneaky closer - Johnson hurt too much and I think Gregg might have broken into the league with Honus Wagner.

Finally, Jansen is significantly better than Guerra and I can't believe he hasn't already secured the job. Jansen is a very good pitcher.
A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. - Ulysses Everett MacGill

Ultimately man does not deny the existence of God for lack of evidence, but because man does not want to be accountable to his creator.

#14 MAC_32

MAC_32

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,857 posts
  • Joined 29-January 08

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Draft skills, not roles - Holland, Reed, and Jansen. But then again this is also why I'm ensuring I have 3 of the first 20 closers off the board this year. It's fuglier than usual at the end.

#15 Monkeyface Prickleback

Monkeyface Prickleback

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 718 posts
  • Joined 22-June 05

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

Guerra or Jansen?

Holland
Reed
Lindstrom
Jansen

The word I am hearing is Holland is the better long term option but Broxton will get the chance to lose the job. The kid they have in AAA (Kelvin Herrera) is very good but at least one season if not two away from the show.

Thornton will get first crack at it but he is better at setup than closing so Reed will get it by May. Whether he hold sit is another story.

I really like Lindstrom as a sneaky closer - Johnson hurt too much and I think Gregg might have broken into the league with Honus Wagner.

Finally, Jansen is significantly better than Guerra and I can't believe he hasn't already secured the job. Jansen is a very good pitcher.

Why don't you homos get in that saves thread for Christ's sake and maybe you'll learn something. (or post your projections)

TIA

#16 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,291 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

added Crain to pair with Thornton for a shot at owning the WSox closer for the time being. i just dont see them handing the role to Reed so early on...

#17 cheese

cheese

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,726 posts
  • Joined 06-February 04

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Just in case people forgot what an automatic gold mine the Reds closer spot is, here is a fun link

Cliff notes.... Only five teams in baseball history with more than 15 saves had one reliever record all of them; Dusty Baker managed three.

#18 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66,344 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Cliff notes.... Only five teams in baseball history with more than 15 saves had one reliever record all of them; Dusty Baker managed three.

:confused:

#19 the moops

the moops

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,936 posts
  • Joined 21-November 06

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Terribly worded. I think it means that nobody else on the team, besides the closer, recorded any saves.

Edited by the moops, 28 March 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#20 cheese

cheese

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,726 posts
  • Joined 06-February 04

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Terribly worded. I think it means that nobody else on the team, besides the closer, recorded any saves.

Sorry, it was c/p from the article. Yes, that's what it means. He is the only guy who always saves his closer for save opps, doesn't rest his closer after multiple days in a row, and obviously never lets other guys finish out longer saves. He is the best possible manager for feeding saves to one guy.

#21 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66,344 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Sorry, it was c/p from the article. Yes, that's what it means. He is the only guy who always saves his closer for save opps, doesn't rest his closer after multiple days in a row, and obviously never lets other guys finish out longer saves. He is the best possible manager for feeding saves to one guy.

Ah, I see.

#22 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Joined 23-May 06

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

With Storen's uncertainty, who will get the save opportunities? Lidge or Rodriguez? Will Clippard remain setup guy, or will he get the closer role?

#23 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66,344 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

With Storen's uncertainty, who will get the save opportunities? Lidge or Rodriguez? Will Clippard remain setup guy, or will he get the closer role?

Clippard not gonna close, we don't know much more than that at the moment. Everyone is guessing Lidge for now.

#24 MAC_32

MAC_32

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,857 posts
  • Joined 29-January 08

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Clippard not gonna close, we don't know much more than that at the moment. Everyone is guessing Lidge for now.

Default setting to the veteran, but if Rodrgiuez keeps pitching the way he has been a couple of lemons from Lidge and he'll slide in. If you have room for both, do it, because in the meantime Rodriguez could provide some crazy K numbers. Just hope he doesn't murder your WHIP

#25 Mr. Know-It-All

Mr. Know-It-All

Booger Eatin' Moron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined 15-January 04
  • Interests:Knowing Stuff

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Guerra or Jansen?

Holland
Reed
Lindstrom
Jansen

Why don't you homos get in that saves thread for Christ's sake and maybe you'll learn something. (or post your projections)

TIA

Wow - so far Herrerra has remained with the big club. I thought he'd be sent down for one more year of seasoning. He is the closer in waiting.
A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. - Ulysses Everett MacGill

Ultimately man does not deny the existence of God for lack of evidence, but because man does not want to be accountable to his creator.

#26 cheese

cheese

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,726 posts
  • Joined 06-February 04

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Default setting to the veteran, but if Rodrgiuez keeps pitching the way he has been a couple of lemons from Lidge and he'll slide in. If you have room for both, do it, because in the meantime Rodriguez could provide some crazy K numbers. Just hope he doesn't murder your WHIP

I saw that inning against the Mets. Rodriguez looked pretty awesome.

#27 whoknew

whoknew

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,002 posts
  • Joined 27-October 04

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Andrew Bailey may start the season on the DL according to rotoworld. From Buster Olney - Red Sox will know more about Bailey's thumb injury in a couple of days; could backdate DL so he can be activated early in season. Seems like Mark Melancon is the guy to grab.

Doing stuff is overrated. Like Hitler. He did a lot. But don't we all wish he would have just stayed at home and gotten stoned?

Smoking Ginger Hot !

#28 MAC_32

MAC_32

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,857 posts
  • Joined 29-January 08

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Andrew Bailey is injured???!!!! :o :eek:

#29 Mr.Pack

Mr.Pack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,925 posts
  • Joined 14-August 07

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm dropping Gregorson for another late inning guy, Crain or Herrera, who would you gamble on to get holds/saves? Aceves is also available

There is nothing worse than not enjoying life.--prefontaine

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

#30 MAC_32

MAC_32

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,857 posts
  • Joined 29-January 08

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'm dropping Gregorson for another late inning guy, Crain or Herrera, who would you gamble on to get holds/saves? Aceves is also available

Right now? Crain. Capps is awful. Herrera is a better bet to be closing games later this year or 2013 though because Crain isn't anything special himself. Herrera might be. But he has two guys and a broken Soria between him and the job.

#31 Tiger Fan

Tiger Fan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,746 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

dot

My current offerings/needs in FFA Swap Shop - here

#32 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,291 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

who is the back up in SD? Cashner? Gregerson?

#33 MAC_32

MAC_32

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,857 posts
  • Joined 29-January 08

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

who is the back up in SD? Cashner? Gregerson?

Casher then probably Brach.

#34 Tiger Fan

Tiger Fan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,746 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Ed Yost:

Im happy with this group, Yost said. Weve got a real good long guy in Teaford, multiple-inning guys in Crow, Collins and Herrera who can get lefties and righties out.

Weve got a good (lefty) set-up guy in Mijares and power at the back of the bullpen with Holland and Broxton.

Read more here: http://www.kansascit...l#storylink=cpy

#35 Eephus

Eephus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,159 posts
  • Joined 26-April 05

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Ed Yost:

Im happy with this group, Yost said. Weve got a real good long guy in Teaford, multiple-inning guys in Crow, Collins and Herrera who can get lefties and righties out.

Weve got a good (lefty) set-up guy in Mijares and power at the back of the bullpen with Holland and Broxton.

Read more here: http://www.kansascit...l#storylink=cpy

With the rotation he has, Yost will need every one of those bullpen arms

#36 Daywalker

Daywalker

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,394 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

Seems like D. Johnson understands that using your best RP situationaly and getting outs in the 7-8 innings are just as important as getting three outs with no one on in the 9th. He's so old he's retro now.

#37 Eephus

Eephus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,159 posts
  • Joined 26-April 05

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Valentine says Aceves is first in line for now.

#38 urbanhack

urbanhack

Fight The Power!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,977 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

White Sox Update:

Bruce Levine ‏- "Unknown closer for today's opener. Manager says the players know their roles on a daily basis."

City living and consumerism is, at its essence, unamerican.

..::sp::..

#39 pantagrapher

pantagrapher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Joined 27-May 03
  • Interests:All of the above.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Jim Johnson officially named Orioles closer.

#40 Balco

Balco

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,156 posts
  • Joined 25-September 05

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

White Sox Update:

Bruce Levine ‏- "Unknown closer for today's opener. Manager says the players know their roles on a daily basis."

Don't know why Ventura is not naming Thornton his closer. HE has the best skills. Small sample size, but besides Thronton, Addison Reed has the best skills of the rest.

#41 Eephus

Eephus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,159 posts
  • Joined 26-April 05

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

White Sox Update:

Don't know why Ventura is not naming Thornton his closer. HE has the best skills. Small sample size, but besides Thronton, Addison Reed has the best skills of the rest.

I like the idea of a new manager trying something different. The paradigm that a save opportunity is automatically the highest leverage situation has been in place for over two decades. That doesn't necessarily make it the best strategy. The White Sox have a number of left handed and right handed options. It's early in the season and getting consistent work in is arguably better than waiting around for someone's pre-defined role to present itself. Managers and pitching coaches have tons more situational data to work with than they did in the days of Bruce Sutter and Jeff Reardon. Use it instead of just pushing the red button every time.

#42 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41,423 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

White Sox Update:

cuz he sucked last yr in the closer role :stillbitter:
Only morons read signatures

#43 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66,344 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

White Sox Update:

I like the idea of a new manager trying something different. The paradigm that a save opportunity is automatically the highest leverage situation has been in place for over two decades. That doesn't necessarily make it the best strategy. The White Sox have a number of left handed and right handed options. It's early in the season and getting consistent work in is arguably better than waiting around for someone's pre-defined role to present itself. Managers and pitching coaches have tons more situational data to work with than they did in the days of Bruce Sutter and Jeff Reardon. Use it instead of just pushing the red button every time.

Using your best guy for the 9th is becoming less popular. Tyler Clippard and Mike Adams are kind of good examples of this, among others.

#44 the moops

the moops

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,936 posts
  • Joined 21-November 06

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Using your best guy for the 9th is becoming less popular. Tyler Clippard and Mike Adams are kind of good examples of this, among others.

True. Unfortunately there are times when those guys should be used in the 9th, and that rarely happens.

#45 pollardsvision

pollardsvision

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,368 posts
  • Joined 23-August 07

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Reed and Thornton pitched the 7th and 8th yesterday, down 1 run. Hector Santiago was warming up for the 9th. Take that for what you will (I'm taking it to the waiver wire, as soon as I figure out who to cut). What's the story in TB? Is Rodney the frontrunner there now?
PSN: PolrdsVision

#46 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66,344 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

What's the story in TB? Is Rodney the frontrunner there now?

Peralta the favorite of Madden, Rodney and Howell both have closing experience and McGee is supposed to be the future closer. I think this could be a mess all year but the two safest pickups are Rodney and Peralta.

#47 Tiger Fan

Tiger Fan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,746 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

2 days in a row Marmol. Ouch

#48 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41,423 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

meanwhile frank francisco is dominating lol
Only morons read signatures

#49 Encyclopedia Brown

Encyclopedia Brown

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,002 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hector Santiago was warming up for the 9th. Take that for what you will (I'm taking it to the waiver wire, as soon as I figure out who to cut).

He got the save for Chicago, tonight.

#50 Annyong

Annyong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,291 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hector Santiago was warming up for the 9th. Take that for what you will (I'm taking it to the waiver wire, as soon as I figure out who to cut).

He got the save for Chicago, tonight.

Thornton with the win. Came on in the 8th in a tie game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users